Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm going to have to look that up, have no clue what that is. But, it doesn't sound pleasant at all.
Probably easier to look up Stephen Hawking on Wikipedia. It'll show you his pic so you see what a person with this disease has to go through... drooling vegetable in a wheel chair all his life, yet still managed to be one of the best physicists on the planet. Amazing.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
or ALL are brainwashed by the teachers!
Its was a horrible horrible tragedy and yet all they got out of it was gun control? omg I better not get started. (Im also from florida)
Yup. Trying to make sure my nephew don't get sucked into the bullshit they are trying to force feed into his brain.
So far he is listening and not falling for it.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Only once did I have to shoot at another person
Gee, I used to wear a badge and never had to even point my gun at another person. o_O I was also the NRA-certified instructor whose class you had to take to get a concealed weapons permit in Deschutes County (central Orygun).

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gee, I used to wear a badge and never had to even point my gun at another person. o_O I was also the NRA-certified instructor whose class you had to take to get a concealed weapons permit in Deschutes County (central Orygun).
I was living up in the California mountains in the middle of logging country. Some hillbilly took a shot at me, so I returned the favor. After that, he respected my space.

Sent from my NS-P10A7100 using Tapatalk

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh Ok I caught some of that. I would give my opinion but i am going to be nice tonight my friend
We're not discussing politics on this thread, Jimi, so go ahead and blast the anti-gun idiots. Just for an experiment, I once loaded a revolver and laid it on the table and watched it off and on all day. You know, not even once did it move, point itself at anyone, or ever pull its own trigger. Seems you have to have some kind of nut case pick it up to make one of those tools kill someone.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We're not discussing politics on this thread, Jimi, so go ahead and blast the anti-gun idiots. Just for an experiment, I once loaded a revolver and laid it on the table and watched it off and on all day. You know, not even once did it move, point itself at anyone, or ever pull its own trigger. Seems you have to have some kind of nut case pick it up to make one of those tools kill someone.
I wonder if they'll raise the driving age. Cars kill lots more people than guns do, including in wars.

lexie3

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Probably easier to look up Stephen Hawking on Wikipedia. It'll show you his pic so you see what a person with this disease has to go through... drooling vegetable in a wheel chair all his life, yet still managed to be one of the best physicists on the planet. Amazing.

Wow I was just reading that he died today.

lexie3

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I think they should outlaw doctors. They kill over 100,000 people in this country every year. More than guns and cars combined.

Outlaw managed care I would agree. But I wouldnt be here if it wasnt for my doctor. Its the insurance companies the hoops managed care makes you jump through that sucks for a lot of people.

lexie3

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I need to go do some juice mixing. I promised to send out a box of juices for some military guys oversees from another thread.
Night nitgh Jimi

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello in here. I had a long night at work. Just thought I would throw a biscuit at you all.
I did read above about the kids walk out. I think they should focus more on how and why people want to shoot up kids in schools. I don't believe in Gun control. I don't have any but if I wanted one Its my right to bear arms. :)
HiYa Sandi

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi! I'm so tired. New job is kicking my butt! On a positive note DH replaced my laptop keyboard last weekend. I ordered a keyboard skin for it off of ebay. It took like 7 days from China to get here. I was super impressed. I could only find pink.
Yeah it probably will Kick your ass for a while till you get the total hang of it.Hey that's great you got a new laptop. From China in 7 days, that must be a record my friend

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well since everyone is gone I am going to say good night my friends
see you tomorrow
I'll shut off the lights

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well it's mornin' time. Wakey wakey! I would have checked in, but for once in a blue moon I slept all the way through the night.

I'll start the day off with a bitch, and y'all can pick it up later if you like.

I have a really close friend who is a licensed family and marriage therapist. Consequently she knows an awful lot about courts and mental health care and resources here in Virginia. We talk, and I pay some attention to the news.

Over the past 5 plus years, state- and county-funded mental health resources are moving more toward community based treatments and very, very far away from inpatient mental health treatment that some seriously mentally ill people need. So in other words, say you have a child who has schizoaffective disorder and regularly goes off the rails because he won't take his meds when he isn't in the hospital. Who takes care of him? No one, or a member of his family who is unqualified and who probably cannot do a thing about making him take his meds and helping him get himself stabilized again.

Our Governor, some years ago, did convince himself to dedicate some funds for mental health outpatient Medicaid (for both general medical and mental health care, but NO inpatient benefits) after the son of a US Senator from Virginia went flop bot and shot his dad and nearly killed him, then drove out into the country and shot and killed himself. The day before that happened, he'd had a mental health intake evaluation and needed a bed somewhere in an inpatient facility, and they could not find a place to put him. When a Senator got shot, the Governor did something. Not the right thing, but something.

I don't know what the cause is, but our country is absolutely full of mentally ill people. And of course, now we have HIPAA, so docs and therapists can't talk to anyone about a patient/client of theirs without that patient's permission. So unless they know that a crime is about to be committed, IS IMMINENT, they have to keep the knowledge of the shape this person is in to themselves.

We can't do anything about anyone until they've done something bad enough to generate felony or CAPITAL charges and convictions. We can't have a place to check to see if a person has serious mental instability before we sell them a gun, be it a 22 that goes in some woman's purse, or an AR-15 that could be used to shoot up a school in mere minutes. Everyone is so damn concerned about their right to PRIVACY, that they forget that with rights come responsibilities. If you want privacy, you can't do crazy shit, you can't be dangerous to other people. You don't have the right to have your doctor or therapist not say something when you are in a state that puts the rest of us in danger.

I hope I haven't made enemies here with what I've said. People who have mental illness tend to get very bent out of shape when they encounter opinions like mine. But I have guns, matter of fact I live in a house FULL of guns, and as long as I'm rational, I don't intend to pick them up and go shoot all my neighbors or something. If I did get into a mental state like that, I'd hope someone around me could pick up the damn phone and call the cops and say, my wife/friend/mother is off her rocker and I'm afraid she's about to go shoot the neighbors after she shoots all of us. AND THEN, the cops need to have the authority and the resources to be able to respond.

Obviously people do stuff like that. We have to stop ignoring it and hoping it will just magically go away. We might just have to "violate someone's right to privacy" to keep the rest of us, the vast majority of us, safe.

ETA: God, I'm on a roll now. A couple more things. It isn't just kids who need to be protected. It's everyone. And next. A person who takes anti-psychotic meds (either for psychosis or just treatment-resistant depression or even as medication to help them sleep) can become psychotic if they suddenly stop their meds, EVEN IF they've never had a psychotic episode before. This happened to my son and he ended up in prison because of it. We need mental health care and education, desperately. As it is right now, if you've never had this in your immediate family or amongst your friends, or you haven't been educated in a mental health field, chances are YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND mental illness. These folks who are this seriously ill take actions that they cannot control. It is possible for a human being to have a seriously altered perception of reality. It is possible that they hallucinate or become dangerously paranoid. And of course, this also happens with drug abuse, too, with substances like m*thamphetamines, c*caine (especially cr*ck c*caine), and some of the newer "designer" drugs and other mess that people put into their bodies.

I'm hoping I can hush now, but perhaps not. Don't know yet. This is my main bitch, though. It's a thing that has affected my life in a very dramatic and destructive way, and furthermore, it continued for a period of over 15 years. It has affected my children and grandchildren. It ain't something to mess around with. And it raises its ugly head again every time something like the Florida school shooting shows up in the news. We do a sorry-ass job in this country of taking care of mentally ill people, and frankly we do a sorry-ass job of taking care of anyone who has any kind of medical problem, if the person with the problem isn't rolling in money. But that's another conversation altogether.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It seems that I've put the kibosh on conversation in here this morning. If another half hour goes by an everyone is still quiet, I'll remove my earlier post. Don't want to upset the community.

Jane

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Naah just that this thread is usually quiet during the day.

Yep mental health care is seriously lacking in the USA.
many/most health care policys do not cover mental health care.
No one will address the issues contributing to mental health issues.
And mental health issues is on the rise.

I have a seriously mentally ill Sister in Law.
I am familiar with Mental health issues and the inadequacies of our society in dealing with it.

In KY even if some one is involuntarily committed for being a danger to themselves or others they are allowed to keep their guns.
One would have to individually sue to get their guns removed.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Melatonin, benadryl, and ibuprofgen for me. To sleep, and stop leg cramps.

My leg cramps haven't been bothering me too much lately, but I had one this morning. Guess I need to be chugging more water -- the entire 2 wks I had the flu, the leg cramps didn't trouble me, but I was drinking liquids constantly, of one sort or another -- water, juice, decaf tea, etc.

I normally use dramamine (generic from walmart) because it has more of an actually-sleepy effect on me than benadryl does, but lately I've added a benadryl to the dramamine to give it more oomph -- but nothing much was working till I decided to try melatonin. After using it for nearly a week now, it's not quite as effortlessly effective as it was at first, but I do manage to get to sleep rather than just tossing and turning for hours, so I guess it's still having some effect. It's definitely helped me bring my sleeping/waking time more towards the normal, which is good since tomorrow is payday and I have to get up early-ish... 9:30 or so.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hi Sweetie. Life is full off falls. The one that is bumming me at the moment is that one of my favorite theoretical physicists, Stephen Hawking, just died at 76.

OH NO!!!!!!!!! After cheating the reaper for so many years... it finally got him. Sad, sad day. :sad:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, until they took the quinine sulfate off the market in the US

You can still get it in tonic water, and in minute quantity in the homeopathic Leg Cramp Pills made by Hyland. I'm not sure I really go in for wild homeopathic claims, but there is quinine in those, and they do help.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well it's mornin' time. Wakey wakey! I would have checked in, but for once in a blue moon I slept all the way through the night.

I'll start the day off with a bitch, and y'all can pick it up later if you like.

I have a really close friend who is a licensed family and marriage therapist. Consequently she knows an awful lot about courts and mental health care and resources here in Virginia. We talk, and I pay some attention to the news.

Over the past 5 plus years, state- and county-funded mental health resources are moving more toward community based treatments and very, very far away from inpatient mental health treatment that some seriously mentally ill people need. So in other words, say you have a child who has schizoaffective disorder and regularly goes off the rails because he won't take his meds when he isn't in the hospital. Who takes care of him? No one, or a member of his family who is unqualified and who probably cannot do a thing about making him take his meds and helping him get himself stabilized again.

Our Governor, some years ago, did convince himself to dedicate some funds for mental health outpatient Medicaid (for both general medical and mental health care, but NO inpatient benefits) after the son of a US Senator from Virginia went flop bot and shot his dad and nearly killed him, then drove out into the country and shot and killed himself. The day before that happened, he'd had a mental health intake evaluation and needed a bed somewhere in an inpatient facility, and they could not find a place to put him. When a Senator got shot, the Governor did something. Not the right thing, but something.
We do a sorry-ass job in this country of taking care of mentally ill people, and frankly we do a sorry-ass job of taking care of anyone who has any kind of medical problem, if the person with the problem isn't rolling in money. But that's another conversation altogether.

I've suffered a great deal of ""mental illness" thru the years (major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety syndrome, PTSD), and I agree with every word of that -- people who want to get guns need a lot more than a criminal background check -- they need a full psych eval, because crazy people do a lot more damage than truly criminal people (who are actually a good deal rarer than crazy people!).

Does this mean I shouldn't have a gun? Betcherass it does!!!!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Benadryl tends to give me leg cramps.

They give me something that I think might be sorta like "restless leg syndrome" -- a feeling that makes me want to flex my calf muscles, almost a compulsion.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They give me something that I think might be sorta like "restless leg syndrome" -- a feeling that makes me want to flex my calf muscles, almost a compulsion.

Andria
Yep that is it, not a full blown cramp but something that could lead to it?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you Cromwell, Artemis, and Andria.

I said in another post somewhere on this thread that when I was younger, I was crazy. I mean that quite literally. Don't feel like I'm crazy any more, and don't really know what changed, but I shudder to think what might have happened if I'd had a gun back then. I'd probably have shot my husband quite thoroughly dead.

My sister has major depressive disorder and is also addicted to opiates. She takes enough medicine every day to choke a horse. I don't think it would ever be in her nature to hurt another person - she never has - but there have been times when she could barely drag herself out of bed, and it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that if she'd had a firearm then, she wouldn't be in this world now.

So many families are affected by this, but it's such a taboo subject for discussion, that you could work or socialize with people for years and never know what's going on in the background of their lives.

Argh. Such a massive set of problems, such elusive answers, so much money needed for resources to take care of people.

VU Sponsors