nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I guess we both just have to make do until the 24th century gets here...
In the mean time, just keep on keepin' on.

It hurts like hell to take a fall like that even without all the other issues you have. Hope you didn't do yourself any additional serious damage.

Young kitties are surprisingly resilient aren't they? Yours sounds like a charmer for sure.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Considering the life expectancy of my family, I got another 35 to 40 years to hope for big pharma to stop telling doctors to push their crap, and actually do something.

Sent from my NS-P10A7100 using Tapatalk

Don't know if it's just me, but seems like orthopedic docs are particularly useless. If they can't fix it with drugs or surgery, they have nothing else to offer.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't know if it's just me, but seems like orthopedic docs are particularly useless. If they can't fix it with drugs or surgery, they have nothing else to offer.
I'm fine with surgery. Drugs and injections just don't cut it. Being sent for MRIs don't cut it either, as they leave me paralyzed from the waist down for 30 to 60 minutes. Fluoroscopes seem to be better.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
hope for big pharma to stop telling doctors to push their crap, and actually do something.
The sad part of this, Sarah, is that even if we could delete Big Pharma from the equation, all the doctors would have to go back to school and start over. They have been programmed to believe the shit Big Pharma pushes. Drugs are not and will never be the answer.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, it's been about a year and a half now, and I still have a very hard time believing she's gone. She was a huge pain in my ass my entire life, but she was a pain in the ass I was used to -- I didn't like or respect her, but I did love her, even though she infuriated me in every possible way you can imagine. But at least she's not in pain anymore, and not bothered by everyone who loved her trying to get her to eat actual food instead of garbage. :facepalm:

My son is under orders to let me know if I ever make him want to stay away from me -- I never want to annoy anyone as much as she annoyed me! And certainly not my own offspring!

Andria

Andria, I also had a complicated relationship with my mother. She passed about 4 years ago. I still catch myself sometimes thinking to myself that it's been too long since I called her. :(

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Young kitties are surprisingly resilient aren't they? Yours sounds like a charmer for sure.
Yeah, I have a house full of little furry charmers (I am a dyed-in-the-wool CATaholic), and there are five more permanent ferals in my garage, and when summer gets here, maybe half a dozen more transient ferals. But of course, I will attempt to care for all of them...

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, I have a house full of little furry charmers (I am a dyed-in-the-wool CATaholic), and there are five more permanent ferals in my garage, and when summer gets here, maybe half a dozen more transient ferals. But of course, I will attempt to care for all of them...
That's kind of you to care for all those cats. I love cats myself. My Maine Co.on boy, Mo, is smart as a whip, is a talker for sure, and acts like a perpetual teenager. He has huge polydactyl paws, and leaves big muddy footprints all over my car.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's kind of you to care for all those cats. I love cats myself. My Maine Co.on boy, Mo, is smart as a whip, is a talker for sure, and acts like a perpetual teenager. He has huge polydactyl paws, and leaves big muddy footprints all over my car.
I'd love to have a Maine Co.on. Most of ours are standard American short-hair tabbies, tuxies, and calicos. Twinkie, a fat little calico, thinks she is an Otter. Lies on the kitchen floor inches behind me while I am doing the evening dishes, on her back, with feet folded over her belly, asking me to pet her belly (she does NOT restrict that to three strokes - I can rub her belly forever). She talks so much and with such inflection changes, I swear she is carrying on a human conversation. When the weather is good, she follows me around outside like a puppy, making commentary on everything I am doing.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Pretty good today the warm and sun melted the snow and i didn't have to shovel, just did things around here all day, trying to get ready for spring. Thanks for asking my friend. How did your day go?

Lots of snow, hahaha

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been a long night ..
Went to the hospital after work to visit the grandma. Her health has been deteriorating since she’s went in yesterday. We knew there was an infection and the latest was some of her major organs were failing. Lots of family came to bid goodbyes as she peacefully passed tonight.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I’m gonna be on sparingly these next couple of day while dealing with arrangements and family gatherings. Be popping in here and there to get the mind off things..

As far as the job, I’m gonna take it and make the switch in April. It just makes sense too, it is a real generous offer.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Been a long night ..
Went to the hospital after work to visit the grandma. Her health has been deteriorating since she’s went in yesterday. We knew there was an infection and the latest was some of her major organs were failing. Lots of family came to bid goodbyes as she peacefully passed tonight.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I’m gonna be on sparingly these next couple of day while dealing with arrangements and family gatherings. Be popping in here and there to get the mind off things..

As far as the job, I’m gonna take it and make the switch in April. It just makes sense too, it is a real generous offer.

So, so sorry. Peace to you and your family.

Jane

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'd love to have a Maine Co.on. Most of ours are standard American short-hair tabbies, tuxies, and calicos. Twinkie, a fat little calico, thinks she is an Otter. Lies on the kitchen floor inches behind me while I am doing the evening dishes, on her back, with feet folded over her belly, asking me to pet her belly (she does NOT restrict that to three strokes - I can rub her belly forever). She talks so much and with such inflection changes, I swear she is carrying on a human conversation. When the weather is good, she follows me around outside like a puppy, making commentary on everything I am doing.

That's so cute. Twinkie thinks she's a person, apparently. You know what they say about a cat letting you rub its belly - they don't do that for just anyone. She must trust you completely. The description of her feet folded over her belly does sound just like an otter. And if she talks to you like that, I take it you must talk back to her some. It IS a conversation, imo. :)

I stood at a sea otter's tank at Sea World in San Diego one day back in about 1998, just watching the otter eat shrimp that it had hidden down in its coat. Little hands so dexterous, would peel the shrimp and pop it in its mouth, nom nom nom, then start peeling another one, all while just floating along on its back. When it had eaten all the shrimp, it dove down to the bottom of the tank and started picking up more shrimp, stuffing them into various places in its thick coat. Wash, rinse, repeat. :) That trip through Sea World was full of novel experiences. I loved it.

We found Mo at a shelter in a nearby county. He was about 3 years old at the time. He was actually supposed to be for my DIL after she lost her Maine Co.on Chloe when her grown son took Chloe and headed to Florida without her knowledge. But she never really bonded with Mo, and I did, so he stayed at my house. He's about 12 years old now. I hope we'll have him a good long time yet, but omg is it hard when one passes after they've been with you so long.

Nice to find another cat person. Hey, do you ever watch Jackson Galaxy on Animal Planet? He's like a cat wizard for animals who have been traumatized in one way or another. I love watching his show.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice to find another cat person. Hey, do you ever watch Jackson Galaxy on Animal Planet? He's like a cat wizard for animals who have been traumatized in one way or another. I love watching his show.

He doesn't, but I do. ;) I thought he was pretty weird the first time I saw him, but he does know cats. We only get Animal Planet intermittently, though, when it's on a free-preview month.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Been a long night ..

:hug:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
if she talks to you like that, I take it you must talk back to her some. It IS a conversation, imo. :)
Yeah, I carry on conversations with all of our animals, but mostly the cats. They pay far more attention to me than cows or horses. :rolleyes: Some of the cats, Tigger in particular, will yeow at me and go to the porch, so I walk out there and ask him what he wants. (Hey, could be the old sourpuss, Puma, is blocked access to the food dish.) He looks back at me, walks to the door, stands on his hind legs and puts both hands on the door knob, then looks back over his shoulder... Mrow! (I think that is cat for "open the damn door").
Wifey (Lannie, you just heard from her above) watches all that Animal Planet stuff whenever Dish chooses to let us see it, but I don't do TV in the daytime and night is for DVDs or news programs. If there is something important that Jackson said, she will tell me about it. She used to watch that Dog Whisperer guy a lot too (is he still around? Cesar?) because we have four dogs as well and he often said something we could use.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, I carry on conversations with all of our animals, but mostly the cats. They pay far more attention to me than cows or horses. :rolleyes: Some of the cats, Tigger in particular, will yeow at me and go to the porch, so I walk out there and ask him what he wants. (Hey, could be the old sourpuss, Puma, is blocked access to the food dish.) He looks back at me, walks to the door, stands on his hind legs and puts both hands on the door knob, then looks back over his shoulder... Mrow! (I think that is cat for "open the damn door").

Wifey (Lannie, you just heard from her above) watches all that Animal Planet stuff whenever Dish chooses to let us see it, but I don't do TV in the daytime and night is for DVDs or news programs. If there is something important that Jackson said, she will tell me about it. She used to watch that Dog Whisperer guy a lot too (is he still around? Cesar?) because we have four dogs as well and he often said something we could use.

I think Cesar has had some difficult times, an emotional breakdown or something, possibly even an attempted suicide. I did see an interview a few months back but don't remember specifics. I like him also, but my hubbs just can't bear his shows, so I rarely watch him these days. Seems like he does have a show, Cesar 911 maybe, but I haven't seen it.

Mo is also possessive over food. We foster my sister's cat who is an 18-year-old red tabby, dumb as a box of rocks, and sometimes we have to shoo Mo away so the old guy can eat. Mo is master of this entire domain, in his own mind. :)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think Cesar has had some difficult times
I think Lannie told me something like that some time back, but (as us husbands are wont to do) I didn't pay much attention because his show was something I only rarely paid any attention to. Lannie watches all those kinds of shows (she really loves the vet shows) and I find them to be way too overly-dramatic ... I could say the same "facts" in much less time and I don't dress weird or have tattoos all over my body (or a bone in my nose, ho ho), so my show probably wouldn't be very successful with the "housewife category."
Mo is also possessive over food.
I don't think Puma is being possessive about the food. It is just a convenient place for her to lay and she doesn't want to move just because someone else wants to eat. She is 17 or 18 years old and every cat she grew up with has long since passed on, and with the passing of each, she got a little grumpier. Teddy is the only cat she doesn't growl at, but that's just because he isn't afraid of her, so what's the point? She will still sit on my lap and purr like a kitten while I pet her, but mostly she just sits on the clothes dryer like a statue with a sour expression.
We foster my sister's cat who is an 18-year-old red tabby, dumb as a box of rocks, and sometimes we have to shoo Mo away so the old guy can eat. Mo is master of this entire domain, in his own mind. :)
We have a Doberman who is dumb as a brick, but I don't think any of the cats fit that description. And, as for who is master, you know that every pride or pack has to have an Alpha, often an Alpha Male and an Alpha Female, but sometimes only one boss per pride. Tigger is our biggest male inside the house and he thinks he can push anyone around, but often the girls push back harder than he expects. Twinkie appears to be the most docile and easy-going, but she has kicked his butt a few times. Teddy is the youngest and newest to the house pride, so he usually defers to the wishes of the older cats, but he is also still spending time with the ferals outside and they are teaching him some tricks, so I don't doubt that one day he will become the boss. Real truth, however, is that I am the ultimate Alpha (me for cats, Lannie for dogs), but I try not to interfere with their interactions unless there is a potential for bodily harm or destruction of property and when I use "command voice," everyone pays attention.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pays to shop around.
was looking at a Troy Built TB370 self propelled walk behind mower. Closest I could find to my old one and I liked it.
Wal Mart has it for $495
Amazon has it for $468

got it for $374 straight from Troy Built.

All are free shipping.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rye and Jim - are youse guyz Greeks by any chance? :giggle:
I think garlic has a place (pizza, spaghetti, etc.) but too much is... TOO MUCH! Damn, I'm not sure I could stand near you without wearing a gas mask.

LOL ... I'm not Greek ... and IMO there is never too much garlic :bliss:

Of course, unless you also indulge, things can become 'interesting' :cool:

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me and my wife recently bought new televisions. We got one for the living room and she had to have one for the bedroom. Each of them came in a cardboard box that fit in the back seat of her compact Jeep easily.

Told her I recalled when getting a television required four to six burly guys, a pickup truck. You went and bought a floor model a week before going to pick it up, bring it home. It took you that long to go round up some buddies to get it on and off the truck to deliver and set off at your house.

I picked up each of the televisions and could nearly have carried three or four in my arms. Reckon life follows fire in that is ever changing. Which also means accepting being an old phart is something I'm starting to need doing.

We have an old Toshiba tube TV that has served us extremely well for a couple of decades. I think it weighs a couple hundred pounds and I don't really know how I'm going to get it outta here. My think right now is I'm going to rig up a sled for it, slide it out the back doors, around to the front of the house and then hope our garbage collection folks are up to the task of taking over from there. They are pretty good mostly :)

The new TV we're looking at is high def, way bigger, and is going to be a lot better for these old eyes of ours. I think it's going to work for us :D

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We have an old Toshiba tube TV that has served us extremely well for a couple of decades. I think it weighs a couple hundred pounds and I don't really know how I'm going to get it outta here. My think right now is I'm going to rig up a sled for it, slide it out the back doors, around to the front of the house and then hope our garbage collection folks are up to the task of taking over from there. They are pretty good mostly :)

The new TV we're looking at is high def, way bigger, and is going to be a lot better for these old eyes of ours. I think it's going to work for us :D
Kids these days would not know what to do with a TV that had no remote. We had to get up, turn knobs, and then adjust the rabbit ears. Some times, we had to adjust the knobs on the back of the set too. I thought it was amazing when we got our first color set, and the little black and white one went in the living room.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

At xmas we finally got rid of our very last tube TV, when we bought the spawn a 32" widescreen LED for his room -- he loves those PS4 games!

But, while the new TVs are definitely lighter and easier to haul around than the damned old heavy tubes, when you're mounting a 60" widescreen on the wall above the fireplace, it takes some real muscle -- I had to help my husband when we first got the thing, but now that our son is home, HE can help his dad with the thing in future, it's much too heavy for me to deal with!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hiya Andria.

Yeah we got a big ol 50 inch or so TV a couple of years ago.
Hardly ever watch the thing though.

ordered me a string trimmer a while ago now to get a leaf rake and I will have the basics for lawn care again.

That was our "big purchase" with our tax refund the first spring we were here in this house -- bought the mate an electric lawn mower, chain saw, and string trimmer, because I can't tolerate either the stench or the noise from the gas-powered variety. Our lot is small enough (.27 acre) and he has enough long outdoor electric cords, he doesn't have to depend on battery power. :) Oh, and had to replace a huge pane of glass from the one time he used a gas-powered mower which was facing the wrong way and threw a huge river-rock into the sliding glass door. :facepalm: $300 for that fucker!

Andria

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I hear ya @nadalama, but my experience with one orthopedic surgeon has been very good. I had a really messed up arthritic hip and had it replaced last year. Ya, that is surgery, but there was no other way to help me that I knew of after doing a lot of research on it. The joint was trashed and it just needed to be replaced.

Since the operation I've exercised the heck out of it and it's better now than it's been in ages. Sometimes that's all they can do. It has given me a new lease on life and I'm very happy with the way it's gone so far :)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@The Cromwell - Remember a couple days ago we were blasting Liberty Mutual for the stupidity of their insurance ads? I have been seeing one for at least a month that shows mom and son declaring how great it is that he had a flat tire and Liberty sent someone out to fix it so he could get home safely. Cut to another pic of two teenage boys. One proclaims his insurance doesn't have that while talking on his cell phone says, "I know what a lug wrench is, Dad," then looking at his buddy and asking, "Is this a lug wrench?" "Maybe." Excuse me, but back when I got my license, no teenage boy was that stupid. We all changed our own tires. We stopped on the highway and changed tires for little old ladies who had a flat. How stupid are these snowflakes today that they can't do such a simple task as changing a tire? Is that really the norm today?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@The Cromwell - Remember a couple days ago we were blasting Liberty Mutual for the stupidity of their insurance ads? I have been seeing one for at least a month that shows mom and son declaring how great it is that he had a flat tire and Liberty sent someone out to fix it so he could get home safely. Cut to another pic of two teenage boys. One proclaims his insurance doesn't have that while talking on his cell phone says, "I know what a lug wrench is, Dad," then looking at his buddy and asking, "Is this a lug wrench?" "Maybe." Excuse me, but back when I got my license, no teenage boy was that stupid. We all changed our own tires. We stopped on the highway and changed tires for little old ladies who had a flat. How stupid are these snowflakes today that they can't do such a simple task as changing a tire? Is that really the norm today?

The Human species is devolving in many ways.
And our growing dependency on tech is accelerating that downward slide.
One reason why less 'advanced' country's peoples are tougher than the average American and can handle much more hardship.
We are becoming a country of wusses.

How ya doing tonight after your full gainer on the ice?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi. I'm just about to retire to my book for the night. That melatonin is working a miracle. :D

Andria

VU Sponsors