Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My eyes are killin me, I am gonna call it a night and go crawl into a tub of hot epsom salt water so G'night my friends

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening, Rich, Lannie, Don, Jimi, Juice, Bob...............:vino:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Damn, Rich-Lannie....I hope the cold holds, so your not staking to the barn in the mornings...:(

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Damn, Rich-Lannie....I hope the cold holds, so your not staking to the barn in the mornings...:(
Well, it is down to 13 and still falling. Expected to be in the minuses the next couple days with super nasty wind chill. We're going to have to close the critters inside those little barns. Chickens won't be allowed out of their coop and the heat lamp will be on all the time.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, it is down to 13 and still falling. Expected to be in the minuses the next couple days with super nasty wind chill. We're going to have to close the critters inside those little barns. Chickens won't be allowed out of their coop and the heat lamp will be on all the time.
Can only hope it works out, Rich.

Think I needed a W in the previous post (staking?)...........:(

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Talked to my brother today in upstate NY, I believe he said it was supposed to be minus 15 tonight.

Damn that global warming.........:cry:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can't wait till I get home to resize some pictures and post.....took some really nice photos about 15,000 ft below an active volcano this morning. It was snowing like a SOB.....:wave:

Drove about 8 hrs toward Manta, it's close to 75F (now).......gotta love the diverse tropical climates.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sadly, I am positively tired now and there's three big hairy pussies telling me it is time to come to bed and snuggle them, so I guess it is time to log off and crawl under the blanket and see how soon the Zzzzzz's happen.... :D Have a happy and we'll Yak more tomorrow.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So how's it going to feel moving from THE biggest state to one of the smallest, and an island that doesn't even touch another state in case you feel like border hopping? Of course, if BIG is an issue, you will be pretty close to a very large volcano.... ;)

We think our biggest issue will be missing the culture of Alaska

Hawaii is much more civilized and a high crime rate, which we are no longer used to

We are well out of the high risk lave zone, and already live near active volcanoes

They rarely make the news unless eruptions disrupt air traffic

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We think our biggest issue will be missing the culture of Alaska
That, all by itself, would be the killer for me. I am old, with morals and work ethics from a bygone era. I think I would get along very well in rural Alaska, but after only one week on Oahu (avoiding Honolulu as much as possible), I realized I would never fit in that culture.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That, all by itself, would be the killer for me. I am old, with morals and work ethics from a bygone era. I think I would get along very well in rural Alaska, but after only one week on Oahu (avoiding Honolulu as much as possible), I realized I would never fit in that culture.

The Big Island is way different from Oahu; don't think I could live there successfully unless I was independently wealthy

Sadly, with my husband's problems, I gotta get him closer to real civilization and out of the cold

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Big Island is way different from Oahu; don't think I could live there successfully unless I was independently wealthy

Sadly, with my husband's problems, I gotta get him closer to real civilization and out of the cold
Ahh yes family obligations. why I live where I do now.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:cry::cry::cry:

FT just notified me no more white Pico Squeeze!!!

Procrastinated too long.
Hopefully the 5 I have will do me.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, I guess that puts you guys out for becoming our neighbors... 75-100 miles to a hospital and this morning it was -6F with 30 mph wind (about -35F wind chill).

We had always planned to stay here for retirement, but the winters are really getting to both of us and we'll go broke fast if we have to pay for winter upkeep of our property for the privilege of hibernating indoors for 7 or 8 months out of the year.

I'm ready for one last really big adventure, so we are making the leap :)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi Don,
We South Dakota popsicles started the day at -6F (-35F if you consider wind chill) and the high temp made it all the way up to +1.8F (that's almost two whole degrees above zero!). :D At 10:30 PM, it is now -5F and looks like we will go below -10 before sunrise. Welcome to Winter.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The place for old and not so old to chat and discuss things in the world in a civilized manner.
all welcome Just try to be decent to each other. Be adults but a bit silly maybe too?
We tend to gather later at night.
heck we might even discuss some vaping stuff.
As long as it meets forum rules no subject is forbidden, just be adult and discuss, do not name call and such please.

I will personally try to avoid any partisan politics, just seems to make things run better.
...........................................................................................................................................
EDIT:

For clarification of behavior not desired in this thread the following is being added.
I would hope that as adults we can all abide by these recommendations.
I will personally have to 'bite my tongue sometimes' but that is the adult and considerate thing to do. I have also been guilty of violating these recommendations and will work to not do so again.
Please keep me in line if I drift... What are friends for if not to help one another stay on a desired path. Should you wish to discuss Politics, Religion or other similar inflammatory topics there are threads for that on VU. You may see me in a political thread from time to time.

RELIGION:

"I have to go now and take my wife to church. I probably won't be back until later tonight." This is OK because it is not about religion, but about your daily activities. No one will be upset by it.

"I am a devout Catholic and I can prove to you that Baptists are morons for misinterpreting what the Bible says." This is a NO-NO because it likely will piss off anyone who is a Baptist. It does not matter whether the poster believes he has proof; the statement is inflammatory and will probably start an argument.

"The original version of John 1:1 says, 'In the beginning was the word and the word was with god and the word was a god.' The use of the article 'a' in that sentence means that there was more than one god. No article or the article 'the' implies there is only one god." This is also a NO-NO because it demands an argument and our thread is not about debating religious beliefs or interpretations. And Christianity is not the only religion on this planet, so to say "the word of god" in reference to a specific book is also likely to start an argument.

POLITICS:

"The FDA has put through some very unreasonable regulations regarding vaping and we need to come down hard on those assholes." This is OK because no individual or political party has been named as the villains - just some entity we call FDA (Food and Drug Administration). They are not run specifically by democrats or republicans, although they might still be members of this swamp/shadow government/evil empire <pick a nasty description>. Even though this statement is, in theory, a political statement, it is not one that is likely to cause an argument amongst those who post in this thread.

"Doctors kill more people each year than all gun crime in this country and this can be statistically proven." There currently is a great push by some politicians to make the gun issue a hard political subject, but it really should not be considered as such unless you are pointing out that one specific party is trying to take away your guns, in which case it is not really the gun you are talking about, but a political party whose actions you do not like.

"Hillary Clinton is a criminal and should be in prison" or "Trump sucks" or "Bernie Sanders was the best possible choice and there was a conspiracy to put him under the bus." Any time you name a specific politician and ascribe good or bad motives, intentions, actions, whether true or not, you are dangling bait in front of other readers and will start an argument. All these types of statements are NO-NOs, whether in posted text or as part of your signature. You might hate a specific individual or a specific party, and that is fine for you to have that opinion, but do not post that in this thread. Avoid any comments that are likely to start arguments or foster resentment.

Also, please do not use words like "libtard," even if not talking about a specific individual. This term implies that all liberals are retards, and even if you believe that, it will be taken as degrading by someone reading this thread. Use of words like "snowflake," which is a generalism for someone who cannot handle the things life throws at him/her, is not considered a political comment. If you put both those words together (e.g., "He's a damn libtard snowflake") then you have crossed the line into the political. When in doubt, please find another word or phrase.
Can I be an old phart? 50 in March. My experience dictates older.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, even if it's good weather, it is still some kind of inconvenience

Yeah because if it's good weather you have to get shit done. Now you still have to get shit done if the weather is crappy but if it's good then you have to do more to make up for the crappy weather..

Oh and you must ramble a lot in your posts.

VU Sponsors