Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They called late this afternoon to cancelled my MRI for tomorrow morning.

Get this...I went berserk (naturally being Irish).....first I called the insurance company screaming, they told me the doctor's order was too vague, not mentioning WHY I needed an MRI.

Then I called the doctor's office flipping out. She tells me it's not them, it's the insurance company. I told the lady at the insurance company to email me what she said to me on the phone, I then forwarded the email to the doctors office. The doctor's secretary called me back apologizing about their fuck-up.

I swear, the percentage of incompetent people alive FAR surpass the sane. It's getting worse by the day too....!!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You have a FINE lady, hard to find these days.
Even when she was an office manager in our high tech world back in Orygun, her dream was to be a farm girl. She's now living that dream and I play the role of the old hired hand who is trying to make sure she gets to keep that dream.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Even when she was an office manager in our high tech world back in Orygun, her dream was to be a farm girl. She's now living that dream and I play the role of the old hired hand who is trying to make sure she gets to keep that dream.
I should have mentioned your a swell guy too, but you already know that.....:giggle:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They called late this afternoon to cancelled my MRI for tomorrow morning.

Get this...I went berserk (naturally being Irish).....first I called the insurance company screaming, they told me the doctor's order was too vague, not mentioning WHY I needed an MRI.

Then I called the doctor's office flipping out. She tells me it's not them, it's the insurance company. I told the lady at the insurance company to email me what she said to me on the phone, I then forwarded the email to the doctors office. The doctor's secretary called me back apologizing about their fuck-up.

I swear, the percentage of incompetent people alive FAR surpass the sane. It's getting worse by the day too....!!
That sounds about as bad as Phillip's doctor trying to order an EKG. His insurance denied it twice already. I guess his doc is going to have to figure out what's wrong with his ticker without an EKG.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That sounds about as bad as Phillip's doctor trying to order an EKG. His insurance denied it twice already. I guess his doc is going to have to figure out what's wrong with his ticker without an EKG.
Doctors are not really doctors, their just big pharma shills...:cuss2::gaah::cuss2:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Everytime I pass some asshole doing 50 mph in a 75 mph zone, fucking around with their phone, I want to put a bullet through their back window to get their damn attention, to pay attention....!
I am of the opinion that anyone caught using a smart phone while driving should suffer the ultimate consequences... take the damn thing away from them and smash it on the pavement right in front of them, and I don't give a damn if they paid $1000 for that piece of shit. How much will the accident cost because the mother fucker was playing a video game and ran someone else off the road?

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Doctors are not really doctors, their just big pharma shills...:cuss2::gaah::cuss2:
The bad thing is that Phillip worries about his heart so much now, that he's likely to cause his own heart attack, with no idea why he gets chest pains or blacks out.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am of the opinion that anyone caught using a smart phone while driving should suffer the ultimate consequences... take the damn thing away from them and smash it on the pavement right in front of them, and I don't give a damn if they paid $1000 for that piece of shit. How much will the accident cost because the mother fucker was playing a video game and ran someone else off the road?
Yep, we're in agreement 110%

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rich, you get any wood stockpiled for the winter?
No where near enough to get through a winter. As yet, I have been unable (physically) to go out and cut the wood. We are talking about getting a large electric heater. That will make the electric bill very high, but how much would it cost to pay someone to deliver and stack split firewood (which likely would come from 100 miles away)?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No where near enough to get through a winter. As yet, I have been unable (physically) to go out and cut the wood. We are talking about getting a large electric heater. That will make the electric bill very high, but how much would it cost to pay someone to deliver and stack split firewood (which likely would come from 100 miles away)?
Yep, that's a bitch.

Are there many trees in your area to actually harvest?

I remember you posting the pictures of the trees you planted, but I was under the assumption there aren't that many trees growing in your area.....but I could be wrong, never drove through the Dakota's. Never really looked at pictures either...except bike week photos.....:drunk:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yep, that's a bitch.

Are there many trees in your area to actually harvest?

I remember you posting the pictures of the trees you planted, but I was under the assumption there aren't that many trees growing in your area.....but I could be wrong, never drove through the Dakota's. Never really looked at pictures either...except bike week photos.....:drunk:
Well, wood harvest here is iffy. The only trees that grow out here on the prairie are those planted by humans as wind breaks around their buildings (that would be every single tree on our property) or those seeded (shit out by birdies) near creek banks. I refuse to cut down a living tree unless it is a potential hazard or must be removed for some construction reason, so that leaves us with trees that have died naturally (wind storms break a lot of trees around here, and the older they are, the easier they break). Most of the neighboring ranchers have newer houses so they use central heat, so we are one of the very few left whose house is too old for a furnace and we're stuck with wood, electric, or small propane heaters. I say this because with everyone else on central heating, they love it when I come over to their ranches and cut up and haul off their dead wood -- and hey, they have no use for it, so why not utilize my free labor to clean up the storm damage? So, in the 14 years we have been here, I have been able to harvest all the wood I need within about a 10 mile radius from only half a dozen ranches. But, if I cannot get my tired old aching ass to swing chain saws in all directions and fill my truck a couple times a day, then split it and stack it so I have a minimum of 6 cords before the snow flies, then we're just shit outta luck for playing the homestead game. I know, take out a loan and modernize the house, but far easier said than done. I am hoping to wake up one morning and find the strength and energy to make it happen again.........

BTW, the Bike Week pictures show a lot of the Black Hills, which is mostly natural pine and cedar (softwoods), and IF I could find a wood supplier who would actually drive out this far, pine is likely to be all they would bring. It burns fast and hot, so I'd probably need more. Right now we burn ash, oak, cottonwood, etc.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, wood harvest here is iffy. The only trees that grow out here on the prairie are those planted by humans as wind breaks around their buildings (that would be every single tree on our property) or those seeded (shit out by birdies) near creek banks. I refuse to cut down a living tree unless it is a potential hazard or must be removed for some construction reason, so that leaves us with trees that have died naturally (wind storms break a lot of trees around here, and the older they are, the easier they break). Most of the neighboring ranchers have newer houses so they use central heat, so we are one of the very few left whose house is too old for a furnace and we're stuck with wood, electric, or small propane heaters. I say this because with everyone else on central heating, they love it when I come over to their ranches and cut up and haul off their dead wood -- and hey, they have no use for it, so why not utilize my free labor to clean up the storm damage? So, in the 14 years we have been here, I have been able to harvest all the wood I need within about a 10 mile radius from only half a dozen ranches. But, if I cannot get my tired old aching ass to swing chain saws in all directions and fill my truck a couple times a day, then split it and stack it so I have a minimum of 6 cords before the snow flies, then we're just shit outta luck for playing the homestead game. I know, take out a loan and modernize the house, but far easier said than done. I am hoping to wake up one morning and find the strength and energy to make it happen again.........

BTW, the Bike Week pictures show a lot of the Black Hills, which is mostly natural pine, and IF I could find a wood supplier who would actually drive out this far, pine is likely to be all they would bring. It burns fast and hot, so I'd probably need more. Right now we burn ash, oak, cottonwood, etc.
I get the picture, that's actually what I had pictured in my mind....basically trees planted by man/women, not what nature provided, wrong area of the country for forest.

Pine is no good to burn, but as a last resort, gotta do what you gotta do. Remember when I had a camp near Pinetop AZ. Lots of pine trees, and LOTS of chimney fires, and as we both know, it burns about twice as fast as a good hardwood.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Pine is no good to burn, but as a last resort, gotta do what you gotta do. Remember when I had a camp near Pinetop AZ. Lots of pine trees, and LOTS of chimney fires, and as we both know, it burns about twice as fast as a good hardwood.
Back when I lived in Central Orygun, and was still a bachelor, pine and juniper was all I had to burn. I had no problem with it, but you damn well better have the chimney cleaned every year or, like you said, be ready for a chimney fire.

And now that the midnight hour has passed, I think I'm gonna put my sorry old butt to bed. I did not let Sammy in tonight, so hopefully I will get a decent night's sleep and maybe be sufficiently cognizant tomorrow to actually get something done. :)

Catch ya on the flip side.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Think if I was 20 yrs younger, I'd make some type of geothermal source of heat if I lived where heat is needed. I once thought about making one for cooling too.....:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back when I lived in Central Orygun, and was still a bachelor, pine and juniper was all I had to burn. I had no problem with it, but you damn well better have the chimney cleaned every year or, like you said, be ready for a chimney fire.

And now that the midnight hour has passed, I think I'm gonna put my sorry old butt to bed. I did not let Sammy in tonight, so hopefully I will get a decent night's sleep and maybe be sufficiently cognizant enough tomorrow to actually get something done. :)

Catch ya on the flip side.
Have a good day tomorrow....!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like a fun night.....:giggle:

Get any snow today?..............:devil:

Please forgive me, I'm extremely stressed right now, but could you quit with the snow jokes for a while? It might be funny to you, but it's not funny to me. I have so much work to do before the snow hits, and besides, we never get snow in September. We've only had one early October snow (and that was a doozy, the one that killed all the thousands of cattle, a hundred thousand is what we heard, that were still on summer pasture), but yer givin' me the heebie jeebies. I don't even want to read here anymore. After we have our first snow, then you can talk about it all you want (and I will, too), but don't jinx us, K? It would just be a major inconvenience and a giant PITA for Rich and me, but several ranchers were put out of business when they lost their entire herds in that October blizzard 6 years ago. No insurance, or not enough, and it takes a great many years to build a good beef herd. The death and destruction was incalculable, but you didn't hear about it on the news, did you? Not enough people here to "worry about."

So, think warm thoughts for a while, would you? We'll get our snow when we get it, but I need to get my end of summer stuff done, and I get the shakes every time I read your snow posts.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello in here! I had a uneventful day. I didn't do much. The mosquito's are so thick it was hard to cook on the gas grill. I do use a natural repellent but it's not swarm proof. I swear I'm hoping for a deep freeze to kill these little ...monsters!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, a miracle happened today and the technician showed up to fix the fridge (prolly cuz Lannie chewed 'em a new asshole). I also harvested the few remaining tomatoes, all the peppers, and all the melons. The sky is clear as a bell, so I'm kinda expecting our first freeze in the morning, which will end the garden for the year. Sigh... (we'll still be able to salvage the squash and, hopefully, the last couple cabbages)

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, a miracle happened today and the technician showed up to fix the fridge (prolly cuz Lannie chewed 'em a new asshole). I also harvested the few remaining tomatoes, all the peppers, and all the melons. The sky is clear as a bell, so I'm kinda expecting our first freeze in the morning, which will end the garden for the year. Sigh... (we'll still be able to salvage the squash and, hopefully, the last couple cabbages)
Great news, Rich....sounds like a very productive day...which we all deserve once in awhile....:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello in here! I had a uneventful day. I didn't do much. The mosquito's are so thick it was hard to cook on the gas grill. I do use a natural repellent but it's not swarm proof. I swear I'm hoping for a deep freeze to kill these little ...monsters!
Have to admit, them there lil bugs can be obnoxious....(at times)......:teehee:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Great news, Rich....sounds like a very productive day...which we all deserve once in awhile....:)
Yeah. So are you getting anything you feel like you deserve? Sounds mostly like your days are filled with hard work.

Tomorrow is monthly shopping day for me. Drive 250 miles and make 8 or 9 stops... you've heard that drill before. Gonna be real tired at the end of the day.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah. So are you getting anything you feel like you deserve? Sounds mostly like your days are filled with hard work.

Tomorrow is monthly shopping day for me. Drive 250 miles and make 8 or 9 stops... you've heard that drill before. Gonna be real tired at the end of the day.
I actually had a really good day...we inspected a 12,000 sf building, was done before noon....had report completed before dinner time, in which that time varies from day to day.....:)

Wasn't exactly scorching hot today, just the usual 100 +/-....felt dry tho, not bad actually.

Oh, forgot...stopped at the bank on the way home at a Safeway shopping center, some lady in a handicap spot backed into the drivers side rear of my Ford truck, while I was stopped waiting for a couple cars to pass by so I could get on the street....called her insurance company, their sending a claim agent next week.

Not a lot of damage to the truck, but she ruined her rear bumper, broke the taillight, and screwed up the paint pretty good on her new Hyundai...oh well, such is life. She was so sorry about hitting me, was just about in tears. I told her not to be upset, cuz I'm certainly not. Over 200,000 miles without as much as a nick, guess it was my turn today.....:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
While your making do 250 mile run tomorrow, I'll be doing the same thing, have two jobs in Tucson tomorrow....:(

Should be easy though (i hope), the buildings look pretty good on google earth.

Possibly nice from far, but far from nice?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Possibly nice from far, but far from nice?
Snicker...
Made a batch of Butter Beer a few days ago, using your recipe... BUT...added about 2% salted caramel to the mix...damn that tastes delicious...!
I'll have to give that a shot. I like caramel, but just though it would be in opposition to butterscotch. Lannie tells me I am wrong. Oh well...

Well, the old bod needs to climb in the sack and see if I can get some shuteye. Everybody take care and we'll yak more tomorrow night.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The internet is programmed by idiots.

Google Best Buy Lexington, KY, clicked on the little thing for the store I wanted, clicked on website icon.
Started shopping and found that they did not have what I wanted in my bowling Green, KY store???
Bowling Green? That is like 3 hours drive each way from Lexington.

Fargin Idiots.
And I did not even see an easy way to change selected store on their website.

Gonna drive down the road a bit to shop for an electric range it seems...
but not to Best Buy.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got back from buying stove.
Same stove as Best Buy, lowes, etc at a local dealer about 15 miles down the road.
Same money. Was limited on options since we wanted a NON glasstop.
Only found about 4 different models online that fit our requirements.

The place where I bought the range still has several topload washers with agitators!
they say that no one wants to buy the ones without an agitator.

Front load washers have shorter lifespans than toploads and stink.

Just an old fashioned old Phart I suppose.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just got back from buying stove.
Same stove as Best Buy, lowes, etc at a local dealer about 15 miles down the road.
Same money. Was limited on options since we wanted a NON glasstop.
Only found about 4 different models online that fit our requirements.

The place where I bought the range still has several topload washers with agitators!
they say that no one wants to buy the ones without an agitator.

Front load washers have shorter lifespans than toploads and stink.

Just an old fashioned old Phart I suppose.
I am still using a stove, refrigerator, dishwasher (hardly use), washer and dryer we bought from Best buy when we moved into the house back in 92/93. Hubs repairs them. Someday, we might buy new stuff only if the old stuff can't be repaired. I was at a Best Buy the other day and was sticker shocked at the prices of new appliances.

VU Sponsors