Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I couldn't do what you are planning to do. I'd either have to totally divorce myself from my current reality (i.e., no attachments to anything left behind here) and devote myself 100% to being there (either the animals come with us or we get new ones once we're moved or we have no animals, in which case I'd probably make friends with the first jaguar I met because I have to take care of and pet someone). I could totally immerse myself in mowing and plowing and pruning (banana trees?) down there, but not if I also had to worry about running a business up here. Maybe you can afford to run back and forth every month, but I would have to pick one place and make that place be my entire life.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How was everyone's day?.....don't have to mention it was close to 110 today...and Humid.

We did an end of lease building inspection for an investor client of mine....damn place was in pretty shitty condition to boot....all day at this nightmare.....win a few, loose a few.....:cry:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How was everyone's day?.....don't have to mention it was close to 110 today...and Humid.
We did an end of lease building inspection for an investor client of mine....damn place was in pretty shitty condition to boot....all day at this nightmare.....win a few, loose a few.....:cry:
Sorry you had such a shitty day, Dale.

We made it all the way up to 68 degrees today! (sing first verse of Amazing Grace at this point in post) :D But the wind was relatively light and it did not rain on us, and the auger started again (second verse of Amazing Grace), so the holes got drilled and the posts set. Packed the dirt as well as possible with the handle of a shovel, but it will finish packing with tomorrow's rain, so I hope the cows don't decide we have just given them new scratching posts before they get nice and solid. Also made a decision in fixing the cow pen fence... we talked (several months ago) about putting corral panels all the way around, but 20 of those at $50 each is way more than I have, and a neighbor just gave me a bunch of pallets to replace the crap currently in the hay room, so we moved the old ones over to the fence and started wiring them to the existing T-posts to build a "pallet wall." It won't be as pretty as shiny new corral panels, but it will do the job. I'll probably be busy wiring those for the next day or two.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry you had such a shitty day, Dale.

We made it all the way up to 68 degrees today! (sing first verse of Amazing Grace at this point in post) :D But the wind was relatively light and it did not rain on us, and the auger started again (second verse of Amazing Grace), so the holes got drilled and the posts set. Packed the dirt as well as possible with the handle of a shovel, but it will finish packing with tomorrow's rain, so I hope the cows don't decide we have just given them new scratching posts before they get nice and solid. Also made a decision in fixing the cow pen fence... we talked (several months ago) about putting corral panels all the way around, but 20 of those at $50 each is way more than I have, and a neighbor just gave me a bunch of pallets to replace the crap currently in the hay room, so we moved the old ones over to the fence and started wiring them to the existing T-posts to build a "pallet wall." It won't be as pretty as shiny new corral panels, but it will do the job. I'll probably be busy wiring those for the next day or two.
Sounds like a winner....water settling dirt is the best compaction anyway...as long as the cattle don't move the posts before the soil sets.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I was in the pipeline business here...we flooded the trenches after filling them about halfway to the top, then added another layer, repeat the water settling, then hit the trench with a compactor on the end of an excavator, damn would that red clay become hard.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
About the only way for our dirt to get that hard is to water it thoroughly and then bake it (lots of hot sun with no further rain), but then, later, when it does rain again, things just get soft again. If you MUST have hard, it seems to require something called concrete. :) I don't much like that stuff, so we'll just hope the fencing between posts holds it up for a few years, then we can repair as necessary.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
About the only way for our dirt to get that hard is to water it thoroughly and then bake it (lots of hot sun with no further rain), but then, later, when it does rain again, things just get soft again. If you MUST have hard, it seems to require something called concrete. :) I don't much like that stuff, so we'll just hope the fencing between posts holds it up for a few years, then we can repair as necessary.
Yeah, I understand....sandy lome doesn't compact well

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
isn't that about the frost line?.....:teehee:
Some winters, it is 5 or 6 feet down. I have all my outside water lines (pump to house to garden to horse corral to horse barn to cow barn) all buried at 8 feet down to guarantee they do not freeze, and all the outside hydrants have their shut-off valves at that level with the vertical pipe draining completely as soon as the water handle is closed.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Some winters, it is 5 or 6 feet down. I have all my outside water lines (pump to house to garden to horse corral to horse barn to cow barn) all buried at 8 feet down to guarantee they do not freeze, and all the outside hydrants have their shut-off valves at that level with the vertical pipe draining completely as soon as the water handle is closed.
Holy shit, never heard of frost that deep, except Alaska the tundra, n/s. poles, etc.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That is another problem with sandy loam... water penetrates deep and at -20F, it will freeze deep because the dirt is loose and airy. Back in Orygun, even if it did hit that temperature, the frost line was 2-3 feet max because the soil was pulverized volcanic rock and clay and the moisture did not penetrate deep. I imagine a lot of this also depends on if the freezing weather happens with or without wetness. I mean, if the top is wet and freezes, that makes a barrier to further moisture penetration, but if it is well soaked before the freeze, the freeze is deeper.

ADD: You cannot bury an animal in winter here with a shovel. You cannot dig through the frozen ground. It requires a backhoe.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I bitch alot about Heat, but I'll take it anyday compared to colder than a witches tit....:oops:
Colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra... or...
Colder than a well digger's ass in South Dakota (Lucy will say "Alaska"). :D

Just for fun, do you know the origin of "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey"?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, but Google helped.....:teehee:

The story goes that cannonballs used to be stored aboard ship in piles, on a brass frame or tray called a 'monkey'. In very cold weather the brass would contract, spilling the cannonballs: hence very cold weather is 'cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey'.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No, but Google helped.....:teehee:
Awwww, that's cheating. But you do get points for bothering to look it up.

Well, 11 PM, it is 55 degrees in Beautiful downtown Maurine and... yup, RAINING. Must be a Canadian air mass or something. We are still in August (Dog Days of Summer - do you know the origin of that one?) and it should be about 80 right now. Sigh....

(Yes, I do think we are starting a mini-Ice Age)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Sarah said that on one of the other forums a lot of people said you have to buy the most expensive batteries out there but they don't realize that all of us don't make a lot of money. We can only afford to get the cheaper one but they last just as long as the ones that cost a lot.

It's not about expensive per se Phil, it is about safety and making sure when you look for bargain batteries to be sure they are genuine - especially if you ever go anywhere near a mech

There are some really shitty rewraps out there - and some are flat out dangerous but sold expensively and passed as authentic

It is important to buy from a reputable source - is your face worth $6 compared to $4?

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning farm report. ;) Da cows found da post. They de-packed the dirt and it's just sitting loose in the hole again. Apparently they rubbed their hard heads on it all the way around. Also, all but two of those pallets stacked against the outside of the pen fence have been knocked over. They evidently came in for their evening drink last night, saw all the changes, and un-changed them. If they could open their mouths wider, I believe the post would be out of the hole and lying on the ground. I think we're gonna have to use that big steel bar for a tamper. The broom and shovel handles just don't cut it when it comes to the cows' headpower. (One cowheadpower equals three horsepower, in case anyone is unfamiliar...)

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's not about expensive per se Phil, it is about safety and making sure when you look for bargain batteries to be sure they are genuine - especially if you ever go anywhere near a mech

There are some really shitty rewraps out there - and some are flat out dangerous but sold expensively and passed as authentic

It is important to buy from a reputable source - is your face worth $6 compared to $4?
Fair enough. He thought I should be willing to pay $12 to $15 per battery at some B&M store, rather than order from Amazon. Fortunately, he is not stupid enough to order from Wish/Geek. I made one order from them, and got a cheaply counterfeited version of the iJoy Combo RDTA II, for only $4 less than I just payed for an authentic. After my refund, I deleted the app.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello Old Pharts! Drats! They hired a full time nurse which means I have slim pickings on work hours. Being a PRN (pick up hours/do some on call hours) I rely on vacant openings. It's okay! It just means less work. I might have to pick up another PRN job to go with this one. I'm looking...

Anyone know where I can pick up a few Aspire Picos (not from China). I seen some on Ebay that sounds reasonable. I'm looking for replacements for the two I have. The electronics are going wacky. They still work but the illumination is severely faded.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Fair enough. He thought I should be willing to pay $12 to $15 per battery at some B&M store, rather than order from Amazon. Fortunately, he is not stupid enough to order from Wish/Geek. I made one order from them, and got a cheaply counterfeited version of the iJoy Combo RDTA II, for only $4 less than I just payed for an authentic. After my refund, I deleted the app.

Amazon is not a great place for authentic batteries - many, many sellers are offering counterfeits at authentic prices even

Some counterfeit batteries are highly dangerous

Cromwell's advice is perfect - they test all their batteries for authenticity

illumn.com
You can usually pick up 25R's for around $5 and VTC5A for around $6, 30Q around $5 as well.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning farm report. ;) Da cows found da post. They de-packed the dirt and it's just sitting loose in the hole again. Apparently they rubbed their hard heads on it all the way around. Also, all but two of those pallets stacked against the outside of the pen fence have been knocked over. They evidently came in for their evening drink last night, saw all the changes, and un-changed them. If they could open their mouths wider, I believe the post would be out of the hole and lying on the ground. I think we're gonna have to use that big steel bar for a tamper. The broom and shovel handles just don't cut it when it comes to the cows' headpower. (One cowheadpower equals three horsepower, in case anyone is unfamiliar...)
I had a feeling Rich would be saying the posts got bent all to hell last night..... @Lannie you ruined Rich's story tonight......:teehee:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had a feeling Rich would be saying the posts got bent all to hell last night..... @Lannie you ruined Rich's story tonight......:teehee:
That's OK, today I fixed the gate post she was talking about (drove some wedgies in next to the post). That still does not make it cow proof, but a little more rain, a little more tamping, and it should harden up enough to resist those crazy bovines. THEN I will attach the fencing to it. Temperature still way too low here, but the forecast claims we will be back in the 80s in a day or so.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's OK, today I fixed the gate post she was talking about (drove some wedgies in next to the post). That still does not make it cow proof, but a little more rain, a little more tamping, and it should harden up enough to resist those crazy bovines. THEN I will attach the fencing to it. Temperature still way too low here, but the forecast claims we will be back in the 80s in a day or so.
Their guessing the 80's....nice weather...now will see what happens.

What is your prediction?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Their guessing the 80's....nice weather...now will see what happens.

What is your prediction?
Well, let's see... there is currently a stationary front just to the south of us, which has been wiggling north-south over us and off of us for a few days (that's where the rain showers came from). There is a fairly strong high pressure center in Montana which is sucking cold air down from Canada and keeping our temperatures down (51 this morning, 70 this afternoon) and unless that decides to get the heck out of here (slides east), the coolness will not stop. But if it moves just a little so we are no longer getting this Canuck blow job, we might hit 80 (barely) in the next couple days. I suspect the front to the south of us will sit there and vibrate a couple more days (no strong jet stream to make that go away either), so I am also guessing that in two or three days, it will wiggle back up here and give us another thunderstorm day, then temps will settle in the mid-70s for a few days. The huge forest fires in the west are changing the normal air flow and the frontal systems seem to be arching over us and coming back down near the Great Lakes, so other than being pretty smokey around here, we are fairly stable and should not expect much change. So my guess at this point is slight warming (maybe up to 80) followed by a day of rain and cooling (low to mid 70s) and when it gets out of here in about a week, maybe back up to mid to high 80s. Then September gets here and all Fall breaks loose. :D

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Interesting weather in your neck of the woods.

Well today I tried to repair my garage door opener to no avail....seems like it's not getting a signal from the wall button or the remotes.....anyway, after sweating my ass off in a 120 degree garage for about an hour....I called A1 Garage Door to either fix it or replace the opener tomorrow morning. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Chances are you have a fried component in the receiver portion of your opener, so it is not triggering the motor to open the door. Depending on the age of the unit, it might be repairable, but more likely (in the day and age) the A1 guy will just replace (at least that portion of) the whole unit.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Chances are you have a fried component in the receiver portion of your opener, so it is not triggering the motor to open the door. Depending on the age of the unit, it might be repairable, but more likely (in the day and age) the A1 guy will just replace (at least that portion of) the whole unit.
Kinda weird, the door was opening partially then stopping, closing partially then stopping. Never seen anything like this in my life, either it works or it doesn't.....I have a part time opener now, which will be rectified tomorrow morning, one way or another......:cuss2:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got my new (tiny) LG LED TV for the dungeon den today, so I took out that 20-year-old CRT Sherman tank (weighs about 50 pounds), assembled the new one (weighs about 5 pounds) and installed it, then spent about half an hour getting familiar with these damn new style controls (this fucking TV talks to me: "Your volume is now set at 51") and scanning all the channels so it would recognize the Dish channels. Different, but as long as it is not reporting my crude comments to the NSA, I suppose I can get used to it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Other than a fucked up door opener, nothing else exciting here today, hot as hell, nothing new there.

I was able to finish yesterday's reports this morning, planned on driving up to Roosevelt lake for the afternoon, then the door opener jacked itself up, after screwing with it for an hour, was too late to drive north.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got my new (tiny) LG LED TV for the dungeon den today, so I took out that 20-year-old CRT Sherman tank (weighs about 50 pounds), assembled the new one (weighs about 5 pounds) and installed it, then spent about half an hour getting familiar with these damn new style controls (this fucking TV talks to me: "Your volume is now set at 51") and scanning all the channels so it would recognize the Dish channels. Different, but as long as it is not reporting my crude comments to the NSA, I suppose I can get used to it.
Yeah, it's amazing how much those new TV's weigh now. Installed a wall hung 46 inch for my mother last year, hell I could hold the damn thing up with one hand when connecting it to the wall bracket.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, it's amazing how much those new TV's weigh now. Installed a wall hung 46 inch for my mother last year, hell I could hold the damn thing up with one hand when connecting it to the wall bracket.
Yep. I modified a TV stand to hold one, so it can swing out over the end of the bed when we want to watch it. Otherwise, we simply swing it out of the way.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I only ordered the 26" version. Anything larger in the den would be a waste. I have no wall space down here (too many book shelves on all walls) so I had to use the plastic legs and sit it on a shelf. :)

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I only ordered the 26" version. Anything larger in the den would be a waste. I have no wall space down here (too many book shelves on all walls) so I had to use the plastic legs and sit it on a shelf. :)
That's about the size for the bedroom. Got a 55" in the living room, on a stand I built, with a cabinet under it to hold the Dish box and a DVD player along with movies.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mine is sitting on a coffee table in the living room, too damn lazy to hang it from the wall.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't remember how big the TV is in the living room, but I put it on top of the cabinet that used to hold the old CRT TV (fried by lightning). That cabinet and an old bookcase and several shelves on another cabinet have both DVDs and VHS tapes stacked everywhere. Must be a couple hundred of each. I'd much rather watch our old movies than the crap that is broadcast today.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't remember how big the TV is in the living room, but I put it on top of the cabinet that used to hold the old CRT TV (fried by lightning). That cabinet and an old bookcase and several shelves on another cabinet have both DVDs and VHS tapes stacked everywhere. Must be a couple hundred of each. I'd much rather watch our old movies than the crap that is broadcast today.
Yup, the only thing I watch is nat geo wild, and not very frequently. There is absolutely nothing on any channel which suits me, I'm odd tho, I'm told by a lil lady in EC anyway......:teehee:

VU Sponsors