Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Citrus-Honey-Biscuits-1-optimized.jpg
Hi old pharts! throwing a few biscuits tonight!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm too damm lazy to throw more than one biscuit. :) I'm still happy with my low carb way of eating. I'm down 31 pounds so far. Have a touch of keto flu today. Hopefully, pickles will rescue me.
Great, Sandi....sounds like a winner...!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Have any snow heading your way, Rich?....:teehee:
I hope not.

Actually, the weather guessers blew it in the wrong direction today. They said it would be 63 and mostly cloudy. It was partly cloudy and 73. I hope that Low pressure and cold front that was winding itself up in Alberta/Sask slides east (and misses us entirely) instead of their projection of southeast (and clobbers us). I'm keeping my fingers crossed, which makes it real hard to type.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Awe thank you Lucy, yes i did something stupid, couldn't get anyone to till my garden for $ so iI gave it a try and been laid up for the last few

Have you ever considered container gardening with hay?

Just get old garbage cans. drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage, fill with hay or straw, plant and harvest. You can also begin seedlings early by covering with a trash bag, creating green house effect

I did it for years, and just watered with worm tea

The hay eventually turns to compost

The advantage of course, is no stooping, in addition to being portable and you can even garden while sitting if need be

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you ever considered container gardening with hay?

Just get old garbage cans. drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage, fill with hay or straw, plant and harvest. You can also begin seedlings early by covering with a trash bag, creating green house effect

I did it for years, and just watered with worm tea

The hay eventually turns to compost

The advantage of course, is no stooping, in addition to being portable and you can even garden while sitting if need be
I have thought about it but i would need like 200 garbage cans to equal what my garden puts out

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
like me finishing up house exterior a couple days ago. Glad it's done, but damn the pain.
How true that is Sarah and like you I new it had to be done, my sweet little wifey did help with it, good thing or I'd be in a wheelchair. I did wrap my leg with Duck tape oner my knee brace and made it like a cast so it didn't go out on me.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I have thought about it but i would need like 200 garbage cans to equal what my garden puts out

Wouldn't hurt to start even if small

They probably don't allow hijacking stuff from your local dump, but ours does, I got about a dozen for free to start mine

I don't have the operation up and running anymore, but it rocks for gardening without aggravating skeletal issues, which is why I started doing it

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wouldn't hurt to start even if small

They probably don't allow hijacking stuff from your local dump, but ours does, I got about a dozen for free to start mine

I don't have the operation up and running anymore, but it rocks for gardening without aggravating skeletal issues, which is why I started doing it
I will give it a tryt I have several plastic tubs that should work but I need all the garden space I can get. I don't consider any of the store bought Organic produce true organic because some are sprayed with GMO's to retard ripening so I try to avoid those.

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I been so busy i forgot today was the start of the NFL draft.. followed the first 4 picks then i turned it off..
Didnt realize also it was the NBA playoffs also.. Man where does the time go?

Hope everyone is doing okay!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I been so busy i forgot today was the start of the NFL draft.. followed the first 4 picks then i turned it off..
Didnt realize also it was the NBA playoffs also.. Man where does the time go?

Hope everyone is doing okay!
Evening Choder, The older I get the more I ask that question (where does all the time go)

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's why I tried to get one of the neighbor kids to till my garden offered them 50 dollars and i supplied the tiller and gas but the worthless little shits are too lazy
We hired a guy to do cleanup work. Thanks bastard didn't do any of the work, and called code enforcement on us for the mess we hired him to clean up. I chewed his ass out so bad that he is still scared of me, and code enforcement won't take his calls anymore.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wives like to loan out their husbands for many things except the one thing we would enjoy being loaned out for :rolleyes:
Ummm, to scratch their backs? :wait:

Today was supposed to be "rest and recover" from the last two days, but the wind is supposed to blow a lot this weekend and it was only round 10 mph today, so we had to remove all the storm windows and install the screens. The part that bothered me is that I was using my little 6-foot ladder to do this and at no time was I more than 3 feet off the ground and was shaking a bit, even though Lannie was holding the ladder. Later this summer, I need to do touch-up painting on the whole house and that requires my 20-foot ladder. How the hell am I supposed to manage that?

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Today was supposed to be "rest and recover" from the last two days, but the wind is supposed to blow a lot this weekend and it was only round 10 mph today, so we had to remove all the storm windows and install the screens. The part that bothered me is that I was using my little 6-foot ladder to do this and at no time was I more than 3 feet off the ground and was shaking a bit, even though Lannie was holding the ladder. Later this summer, I need to do touch-up painting on the whole house and that requires my 20-foot ladder. How the hell am I supposed to manage that?
How would a ladder stabilizer work for you? I use one on our 20 foot extension ladder, especially because I am afraid of heights, so I shake when more than 8 feet up.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How would a ladder stabilizer work for you? I use one on our 20 foot extension ladder, especially because I am afraid of heights, so I shake when more than 8 feet up.
I have one for the 20-foot ladder, so it is not the ladder shaking that is the problem. I had absolutely no problem being up at roof level a couple years ago when I stripped the whole house and re-painted it. The problem I felt today was that being just 3 feet up today made ME shaky. So why did I suddenly become a weenie?

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have one for the 20-foot ladder, so it is not the ladder shaking that is the problem. I had absolutely no problem being up at roof level a couple years ago when I stripped the whole house and re-painted it. The problem I felt today was that being just 3 feet up today made ME shaky. So why did I suddenly become a weenie?
It's gotta be your nerves. Either that, or the old muscles ain't what they were, or both. I know I got nerve problems. Ain't no denying that.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got me an athletic hip brace from Amazon. It helps with the bursitis and nerve pain when I wear it. I just feel the pain I missed out on when I take it off.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have a home made roll around scaffolding thing for that. rolls on dirt and such and has a 12 ft long walkboard.

Umm that reminds me, I have to make a new walkboard :)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got me an athletic hip brace from Amazon. It helps with the bursitis and nerve pain when I wear it. I just feel the pain I missed out on when I take it off.
I have a closet full of braces for nearly every part of my body. I wear the lower back brace (girdle) all the time because the lumbar is broken, and occasionally I have to wear these super-duty knee braces to even walk. But under normal circumstances, I don't have to contend with the shakes. That was just downright scary and I have always been one of those "hang off the side of a cliff to get a better picture" kind of guys. Am I truly becoming a real-live Old Phart? Chicken shit... :(

VU Sponsors