Become a Patron!

Nicotine Base & Pending Regulations?

HVPGH

Member For 4 Years
Apologies if this has been covered somewhere here before but I have not seen the question. Can anyone tell me if the pending legislation, that will severely regulate the vaping industry, will have an immediate affect on liquid nicotine base mail-order/internet sales?

Budds

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not trying to be a smart ass.....

But YES !
eLiquid that contains Nic, and Nic suspended in PG/VG will be the low hanging fruit.
Its the easiest to make the Bad Guy as it is a poision, regulation will mean taxes and license/permits ect....
And this will all cost the end user more...... also it will cost vendors more, if even permitted to sell !

Batteries, Mods, Tanks, RDAs, ect...... A little harder to get their hands around, but they will try eventually if the camel gets his nose under the tent with Nic Regs/Taxes.

They really dont want to STOP vaping..... they just want their cut !
So Big Tobacco and Big Pharma will battle in the end to see who "Controls" Nic, and either way... prices will go up.

Just MHO............

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Of course not. Regulations such as this can not go into effect immediately. There is no method for enforcement...

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That is the million dollar question, that no one has an answer for yet.
If it is deemed a tobacco product, they could stop all on-line sales immediately.
Will they?.....

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That is the million dollar question, that no one has an answer for yet.
If it is deemed a tobacco product, they could stop all on-line sales immediately.
Will they?.....

How would one stop all online sales immediately?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
By imposing fines to any business selling base nic to an individual.

What would be the mechanism for this? The FDA would have to double in personnel. There's also sales from abroad which could not be stopped...
There's absolutely nothing in the proposed regulations concerning the ban of nicotine or nicotine products....

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What would be the mechanism for this? The FDA would have to double in personnel. There's also sales from abroad which could not be stopped...

Canada customs seizes nicotine - there are some threads about that. US customs could easily do the same.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Canada customs seizes nicotine - there are some threads about that. US customs could easily do the same.

Apples to oranges. Canada doesn't even have the population of California...
Not even a fraction of 1% of incoming mail is physically inspected in the US...

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There's absolutely nothing in the proposed regulations concerning the ban of nicotine or nicotine products....
Probably FDAs buddies in the ATF.
I hope you are are correct, for everyone in the US sake.
Of course you don't have to worry about it yet, as you live in Prague.
I'm also set with nic, for my lifetime...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Probably FDAs buddies in the ATF.
I hope you are are correct, for everyone in the US sake.
Of course you don't have to worry about it yet, as you live in Prague.
I'm also set with nic, for my life time...

Really? I live in Prague? That's news to me...
The ATF has far, far more important things to deal with. I know this is a vaping forum, so some think vaping is all encompassing and a top priority for the federal government, but it really isn't; especially given how long the FDA has taken to issue regulations...

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Really? I live in Prague? That's news to me...
The ATF has far, far more important things to deal with. I know this is a vaping forum, so some think vaping is all encompassing and a top priority for the federal government, but it really isn't; especially given how long the FDA has taken to issue regulations...
Really? That's what you've posted on ECF. Sorry if I've mistaken the wrong Stevegmu.
The middle initial of ATF is tobacco. They enforce all laws regarding tobacco.
I do hope regulations are stalled into oblivion.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really? That's what you've posted on ECF. Sorry if I've mistaken the wrong Stevegmu.
The middle initial of ATF is tobacco. They enforce all laws regarding tobacco.
I do hope regulations are stalled into oblivion.

I have never stated anywhere I live in Prague...

The ATF really only handles cases relating to tobacco where very large quantiles are involved and as the smuggling pertains to tax avoidance, not searching the mail for a few bottles of e-nic...

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have never stated anywhere I live in Prague...

The ATF really only handles cases relating to tobacco where very large quantiles are involved and as the smuggling pertains to tax avoidance, not searching the mail for a few bottles of e-nic...
OK.......

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How would one stop all online sales immediately?

The same way they stop online sales for cigarrettes. You can find them online but if you have them shipped across state lines and get caught you're going to jail. That stops most people.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The same way they stop online sales for cigarrettes. You can find them online but if you have them shipped across state lines and get caught you're going to jail. That stops most people.

No one has been sentenced to prison for buying cigarettes online... We aren't talking about cigarettes, however. Loose 'pipe' tobacco is easily and legally obtained from many online sources, so it's apples to oranges...

PuffOn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
6992 kilometers from home...

Does this ring a bell.
I see you have been banned from ECF.
Too bad, I will miss your posts.........

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
6992 kilometers from home...

Does this ring a bell.
I see you have been banned from ECF.
Too bad, I will miss your posts.........

Yes. I consider Prague home, but I do not live there. They value freedom...
ECF is Big Vapor...

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No one has been sentenced to prison for buying cigarettes online... We aren't talking about cigarettes, however. Loose 'pipe' tobacco is easily and legally obtained from many online sources, so it's apples to oranges...

This type of comment is exactly what I meant in the other thread about Ignorant americans being for regulation.

http://www.thecre.com/ccnf/?p=16

On Tuesday, Grinberg, 30, paid dearly for those smokes. A Bucks County judge sentenced him to 2 1/2 to five years in prison for possessing and selling untaxed and counterfeit cigarettes.

That's just one, use google.

Once the FDA deems vaping stuff as tobacco products the states will tax them as such. Buying online nic will be untaxed and illegal, unless you are in the state it came from. I know you're having a hard time digesting how regulations effect things so just wait and see for yourself. It's not a problem. Children often have to touch the stove burner before they learn how it effects them.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This type of comment is exactly what I meant in the other thread about Ignorant americans being for regulation.

http://www.thecre.com/ccnf/?p=16

On Tuesday, Grinberg, 30, paid dearly for those smokes. A Bucks County judge sentenced him to 2 1/2 to five years in prison for possessing and selling untaxed and counterfeit cigarettes.

That's just one, use google.

Once the FDA deems vaping stuff as tobacco products the states will tax them as such. Buying online nic will be untaxed and illegal, unless you are in the state it came from. I know you're having a hard time digesting how regulations effect things so just wait and see for yourself. It's not a problem. Children often have to touch the stove burner before they learn how it effects them.

He was selling untaxed cigarettes, not buying them. Big difference; but I know you may not be able to understand that...

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He was selling untaxed cigarettes, not buying them. Big difference; but I know you may not be able to understand that...

Um,

Do you not know how to read?

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Um,

Do you not know how to read?

What part about selling did you not understand? Wow...

HVPGH

Member For 4 Years
I honestly can see the "legal" liquid base market drying up pretty fast if what appears to be happening, happens.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nicotine is used for so many purposes banning it will be almost impossible taxed yes banned no!

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How does anyone know? No one does at this point. Everything now is just speculation and fear mongering...
supply and demand. taxes will be passed on to the consumer.
the cost of doing business for suppliers will likely go up.
But when you consider the profit margin on stuff like diluted nicotine in VG/PG
they can afford the overhead.

I predict a shortage of and price hike of nicotine and small freezers
in the next couple of months until the paranoia dies down.
Perhaps the Joes should invest in little freezers...with inflated prices and membership discounts.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
supply and demand. taxes will be passed on to the consumer.
the cost of doing business for suppliers will likely go up.
But when you consider the profit margin on stuff like diluted nicotine in VG/PG
they can afford the overhead.

I predict a shortage of and price hike of nicotine and small freezers
in the next couple of months until the paranoia dies down.
Perhaps the Joes should invest in little freezers...with inflated prices and membership discounts.
@HazyShades .. Hazy thank you for the scary Economics lesson are you like a John Nash in a Beautiful Mind? haha
If I see you counting the droplets of particulate from a vape I am running bro :)

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No it won't be banned altogether. It will be taxed which will effectively make it illegal to buy online.
Why? Many online vendors are collecting taxes now even when they don't have an outlet in the state
where the buyer resides. Just happened to me on Amazon. Twice.
Nicotine will be taxed at tobacco sin tax rates plus sales tax and continue to be sold
until if and when it's categorized as a prescription drug in the same manner that pipe tobacco
is taxed and sold at many online stores.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@HazyShades .. Hazy thank you for the scary Economics lesson are you like a John Nash in a Beautiful Mind? haha
If I see you counting the droplets of particulate from a vape I am running bro :)
Dude, take the little yellow pill, it'll help.

The only thing I'm counting are the paranoid nicotine junkies who think this is the end of the world or at least of vaping as we know it.
The gub'min wants a piece of vapor pie just as big as the tobacco pie they're getting with their scare tactics.
Everybody is blaming big tobacco but they fail to realize that BT is getting screwed also.
Sure, BT doesn't need our competition. They already have major taxes messing with their gig
and PSA commercials with people with missing body parts blaming them for their own decisions.
Such bull. Like nobody knew smoking could fuck 'em up.
I smoked for a long time after seeing a smoker's lung in health class in 2nd grade.

Sure, big gub'min is messing with the private sector and playing nanny for their piece.
But the only ones who are gonna suffer are the merchants who have to pony up
millions of $$$ to the FDA for approval of stuff.

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

The only thing I'm counting are the paranoid nicotine junkies who think this is the end of the world or at least of vaping as we know it.
The gub'min wants a piece of vapor pie just as big as the tobacco pie they're getting with their scare tactics.
Everybody is blaming big tobacco but they fail to realize that BT is getting screwed also.
Sure, BT doesn't need our competition. They already have major taxes messing with their gig
and PSA commercials with people with missing body parts blaming them for their own decisions.
I smoked for a long time after seeing a smoker's lung in health class in 2nd grade.

Sure, big gub'min is messing with the private sector and playing nanny for their piece.
millions of $$$ to the DA for approval of stuff.
haha I love you man

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Vapers are going to pony up the millions. Otherwise, the merchants just go away.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why? Many online vendors are collecting taxes now even when they don't have an outlet in the state
where the buyer resides. Just happened to me on Amazon. Twice.
Nicotine will be taxed at tobacco sin tax rates plus sales tax and continue to be sold
until if and when it's categorized as a prescription drug in the same manner that pipe tobacco
is taxed and sold at many online stores.

Look into bullcity and why they no longer sell nicotine. Look into proposed regulation in other states. It's not the FDA that is going to make getting nicotine difficult. It's the state regulations/legislations that will piggyback on the "tobacco product" designation for tax revenue and bans.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

There will be no scrip for it at all.
When they talk about rescheduling it they are talking about making schedule 1, no medical use at all and deemed a harmful substance.

Which means FUCK YOU go to jail for having it in your possession, add in another fuck you for making ejuice which is manufacturing a controled substance.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vapers are going to pony up the millions. Otherwise, the merchants just go away.
Well, sure. Like I said, the cost of doing business will be passed on to the consumer.
At first small brick and mortars will bite the dust then small internet merchants of things
that need FDA approval 'cause that costs millions.
But unless nicotine gets reclassified vaping and the vape industry will continue.
Gub'min doesn't wanna kill vaping, they wanna tax it.
Of course some liberal nanny types wanna protect the children and us from ourselves
but they haven't stopped smoking and they won't stop us as long as gub'min gets their piece

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, sure. Like I said, the cost of doing business will be passed on to the consumer.
At first small brick and mortars will bite the dust then small internet merchants of things
that need FDA approval 'cause that costs millions.
But unless nicotine gets reclassified vaping and the vape industry will continue.
Gub'min doesn't wanna kill vaping, they wanna tax it.
Of course some liberal nanny types wanna protect the children and us from ourselves
but they haven't stopped smoking and they won't stop us as long as gub'min gets their piece

That's all true. Vaping won't go away completely. Nicotine won't be made outright illegal. But when the tax hit and more vapers find they can skirt it by DIY and black market, the states will catch on quick that they're missing out on revenue. I'd be willing to bet we'll see regulation of nicotine sales over state lines. That's the only way they can try to stop it. The FDA reg's are just the start, IMO.

edit: And being a nutjob with a lifetime supply of nic in the freezer saves me thousands in tax dollars over my lifetime. :p

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Look into bullcity and why they no longer sell nicotine. Look into proposed regulation in other states. It's not the FDA that is going to make getting nicotine difficult. It's the state regulations/legislations that will piggyback on the "tobacco product" designation for tax revenue and bans.
But the states are already doing that w/o federal precedence.
There will be no scrip for it at all.
When they talk about rescheduling it they are talking about making schedule 1, no medical use at all and deemed a harmful substance.

Which means FUCK YOU go to jail for having it in your possession, add in another fuck you for making ejuice which is manufacturing a controled substance.
While the studies in favor of vaping can be construed in many instances as being pro vape
and sponsored by the vaping industry there are myriad legitimate studies on the positive medical effects of nicotine.
See: http://www.drugfree.org/join-together/medical-uses-of-nicotine-explored/
See: https://today.duke.edu/2001/08/mm_medicaluses.html
for example.
Just as caffeine is often prescribed as a regimen for certain illnesses,
so will nicotine for cases of cognitive impairment and is already considered to treat
autism spectrum illness/
It will never be schedule 1. Especially not as long as gub'min can profit by applying a sin tax.
What we are gonna have is a regulated substance. Considering how many
kitchen juice cooks there are marketing their stuff and how many large juice makers
don't bother explaining the effects of some of the ingredients in theirs
is regulation such a bad idea?
Don't get me wrong. I'm an anarchist but my feet are firmly planted... on a cloud.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's all true. Vaping won't go away completely. Nicotine won't be made outright illegal. But when the tax hit and more vapers find they can skirt it by DIY and black market, the states will catch on quick that they're missing out on revenue. I'd be willing to bet we'll see regulation of nicotine sales over state lines. That's the only way they can try to stop it. The FDA reg's are just the start, IMO.

edit: And being a nutjob with a lifetime supply of nic in the freezer saves me thousands in tax dollars over my lifetime. :p
you can be as crazy as you need or want. I DIY and have a freezer...

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
you can be as crazy as you need or want. I DIY and have a freezer...
Dude, when they made up their minds with bans it was damned near instant.
Do not fool yourself that your freezer stash is keep you from getting fucked with.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But the states are already doing that w/o federal precedence.

A few are. But, they could have been challenged if the FDA did not provide the designation. The rest, not wanting to be left out of a free money scheme will quickly jump on board.

I think it's a mistake to think the FDA reg's won't have broad reaching effects. It is a substantial event, IMO.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think everyone i
Dude, when they made up their minds with bans it was damned near instant.
Do not fool yourself that your freezer stash is keep you from getting fucked with.
Are you saying they will declare Martial Nicotine law and come after me? are you saying we will have Nicotine Prohibition?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think everyone i

Are you saying they will declare Martial Nicotine law and come after me? are you saying we will have Nicotine Prohibition?
Like what they did with 3 wheelers, ok to own if you had them pre ban, no new imported or sold nic.

VU Sponsors