Become a Patron!

LET'S SEE YOUR MINI MODS

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love that novice mod where did you get the bottom piece to make the mod like that? its very cool ;)

I'll quote myself from an earlier post:

The one on the right is a mixture of parts. The Novice is a mechanical mod for a 14500 battery. http://www.fasttech.com/product/1476405 I have shortened it and rounded all the edges. It attaches to this "stand." http://www.fasttech.com/product/1650600 I modified the stand so the Novice mounts more or less flush. I also chamfered the bottom edge so it feels good in the hand. Below the tank are either one or two (depending on the length of the tank I'm using) stainless steel ego-to-ego adapters. https://www.myvaporstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EGO-EGO. Any ego or 510 threaded tank will fit as long as it is 16mm or smaller in diameter.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll quote myself from an earlier post:

The one on the right is a mixture of parts. The Novice is a mechanical mod for a 14500 battery. http://www.fasttech.com/product/1476405 I have shortened it and rounded all the edges. It attaches to this "stand." http://www.fasttech.com/product/1650600 I modified the stand so the Novice mounts more or less flush. I also chamfered the bottom edge so it feels good in the hand. Below the tank are either one or two (depending on the length of the tank I'm using) stainless steel ego-to-ego adapters. https://www.myvaporstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=EGO-EGO. Any ego or 510 threaded tank will fit as long as it is 16mm or smaller in diameter.
Thanks my friend I love that mod so cool Haha so inexpensive to :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lorem Ipsum

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Loving all of these mini mods! I've been digging this setup lately:

kB0q4Gh.jpg

Don't know how you guys can take pictures with mods in your hands. I'm impressed!

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks my friend I love that mod so cool Haha so inexpensive to :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, but I'm not to happy with that Fasttech "stand." The connectors are all press fit so you can't take it apart to repair or improve without pretty much destroying it. I'm making a better one out of polycarbonate with high quality connectors. Will post asap.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Loving all of these mini mods! I've been digging this setup lately:

kB0q4Gh.jpg

Don't know how you guys can take pictures with mods in your hands. I'm impressed!

Nice. If you're going for the shortest possible 18xxx mod you sure can't beat the 4Nine. Over 10mm shorter than Caravela or Paps, and they're pretty short.

BTW, how much juice does the Kayfun Nano hold? I can't find any numbers on that.

Lorem Ipsum

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice. If you're going for the shortest possible 18xxx mod you sure can't beat the 4Nine. Over 10mm shorter than Caravela or Paps, and they're pretty short.

BTW, how much juice does the Kayfun Nano hold? I can't find any numbers on that.

I have the 18350 GP Paps brass clone, and the 4Nine is a bit smaller.

As for juice capacity of the Kayfun in Nano mode, I would have to say that it holds about 1.4 mls of juice.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I purchased from Vape Unit, but two thumbs way down on that retailer. The top cap is made by Science of Vaping, if you Google that, there are plenty of more reputable stores that stock them.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The one on the left is a Gripper with an 18350 battery. http://www.madvapes.com/gripper.html I modified it a bit, grinding off the knurl on the battery cap and rounding the edge so it feels good in the hand, and cutting a slot into the side at the base of the cartomizer connection to get maximum air flow. The picture shows a dual coil stainless steel Smoktech XL cartomizer with a stainless steel & brass drip tip. http://www.fasttech.com/product/1686100

Oh snap...I didn't notice your modifications to the gripper till I read that

The little notch is bad ass, very brilliant! Very cool mods man!

I use these in my gripper
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1325010

Gives about 1/2" of vape space...and a tank
gripper_zpsa31c544b.jpg

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh snap...I didn't notice your modifications to the gripper till I read that

The little notch is bad ass, very brilliant! Very cool mods man!

I use these in my gripper
https://www.fasttech.com/p/1325010

Gives about 1/2" of vape space...and a tank
gripper_zpsa31c544b.jpg

Many thanks, Warhawk. How much juice can you get in that thing?

BTW I love the Gripper, despite its limitations. It fits in the hand so comfortably. I have several set up every which way. At home I use them with a 510 extension to mount full sized tanks and an 18500 or 18650 battery extension, which does all sorts of good things besides the obvious battery life and amperage increase. For example, it allows you to set them in a mod stand, which they kinda need when a tank is attached. I want to start a Gripper thread to see what everybody's doing with them, if anything. Best piece of cheap plastic in vaping IMO.

Have to admit that I don't take the little carto version out much anymore. Though the airflow is maxed out, it's still a limitation, and I find myself tugging on it too much to get a big hit, which is a bit frustrating. I'm putting together two much better mini mods, both top firing side-by-side style, with serious tanks, etc. and nearly as small. Can't help but be heavier though. :( Will post when they're done.

Last edited:

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
About 1-2 ml...not a big tank...but can stealth vape on it quite for as long as the battery lasts (18350's don't last but a few hours of good solid vaping anyway)

Where do you get the battery extensions? Do tell

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
P9111449 edit.jpg

http://www.madvapes.com/extension-cap-for-the-zmax-variable-volt-apv-stainless.html
http://www.ljesmokes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1821

War, both are Smoktech Zmax Mini extensions. They are a tight fit into the Gripper, the same thread pitch (so you won't strip your threads) but a hair bigger diameter, so they won't screw in very far. Solid mount though, feel very secure and so nice in the hand. I filed the battery extension threads down a bit so there wouldn't be so much gap with the Gripper from the limited screw in depth. The 18500 one (left) still had too much gap for my liking so I just put a rubber o-ring over it. Gives it a finished look. (My OCD...:rolleyes:)

If you try it you'll see what I mean above. Cheers!

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
...and if you go with the 510 tank mount, you can take the slop out of the 510 extension with a set screw or two. Look hard and you can see one near the top. No slop or rattle.

In another 18650 one I have a slightly longer 510 extension so I can clear the button bezel with my 22mm Aerotank Mega, PMMA Kayfun Lite, etc. Too late and too tired to take that photo.

And so on. Like I said, love the Gripper.

Last edited:

aikanae

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I LOVE the little Gripper and these are exactly the kind of modifications I've been looking for! Several years ago I saw on YouTube people taking dremels and modifying the carto "hole" so that wider tanks and duals could fit but I can't find them anymore. I would love to know how to mount a PT mini on one without it 'flapping in the wind'. The only extension I have is the long one sold by MadVapes. Right now I'm using iClear 16's on it and the ego skirt fits it perfectly. I'm just not an enthusiastic fan of CE4's.

Another adaptation for the Gripper is using a flexible shaft extension.

Yes, we need a thread.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I LOVE the little Gripper and these are exactly the kind of modifications I've been looking for! Several years ago I saw on YouTube people taking dremels and modifying the carto "hole" so that wider tanks and duals could fit but I can't find them anymore. I would love to know how to mount a PT mini on one without it 'flapping in the wind'. The only extension I have is the long one sold by MadVapes. Right now I'm using iClear 16's on it and the ego skirt fits it perfectly. I'm just not an enthusiastic fan of CE4's.

Yes, we need a thread.

Glad you're interested. I had the same idea initially, wanting to fit an Aerotank Mini into the space for the carto, cutting away all the surrounding material, and fixing it so, like you say, the tank doesn't flap in the wind. Other people had the same idea and I saw a number of crappy results.

You've motivated me to get the thread started. I thought it would be most informative if I showed the inside of the Gripper so you can see what you can and can't do with it. Tore one apart a while back to take measurements. Will take photos of it, start the thread and put a llink here.

Lorem Ipsum

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Glad you're interested. I had the same idea initially, wanting to fit an Aerotank Mini into the space for the carto, cutting away all the surrounding material, and fixing it so, like you say, the tank doesn't flap in the wind. Other people had the same idea and I saw a number of crappy results.

You've motivated me to get the thread started. I thought it would be most informative if I showed the inside of the Gripper so you can see what you can and can't do with it. Tore one apart a while back to take measurements. Will take photos of it, start the thread and put a llink here.
That would be great to start a thread! My first mech was the gripper. I was using it with the extension tube and protank, but, it was a bit top heavy. It would be fantastic to fit a small tank in the carto space.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My tobeco mini nemi in hybrid 14500 mode with ft anima dripper next to chi you in 18650 mode.
eeb7cfda96200f4fcfc491bf3c6924b1.jpg

Here's another photo of it but I fucked up and didn't use enough lighting. You can still kinda see it tho. It's smaller than a 650 non-twist ego with small Phoenix dripper!
bff55c3c72928d99e887a7f57dc4d947.jpg

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My tobeco mini nemi in hybrid 14500 mode with ft anima dripper next to chi you in 18650 mode.
eeb7cfda96200f4fcfc491bf3c6924b1.jpg

Here's another photo of it but I fucked up and didn't use enough lighting. You can still kinda see it tho. It's smaller than a 650 non-twist ego with small Phoenix dripper!
bff55c3c72928d99e887a7f57dc4d947.jpg

Handsome copper mini puts big brother to shame.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Lets call my entry "Theatre of the Mind".

AKA, no pics.

Imagine if you will an Evic with a short 18350 SID tube attached. With a Kanger Protank attached.

Very small, very stealthy.

PirateB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That is the 24mm model with a kfl+. The 22mm version only fits atomizers <22mm so the kayfun wouldn't fit as far as I know. The 24mm has the exact same outside dimensions as the 22mm, so I went with the 24mm. I do plan to order a 17mm version as I believe it accepts a Penelope atomizer despite both being advertised as 17mm--at least I have seen pictures of that setup. I did have to mod mine out of the box for it to work properly. I hope the switch is improved on future versions. Other than that very satisfied!!

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is the 24mm model with a kfl+. The 22mm version only fits atomizers <22mm so the kayfun wouldn't fit as far as I know. The 24mm has the exact same outside dimensions as the 22mm, so I went with the 24mm. I do plan to order a 17mm version as I believe it accepts a Penelope atomizer despite both being advertised as 17mm--at least I have seen pictures of that setup. I did have to mod mine out of the box for it to work properly. I hope the switch is improved on future versions. Other than that very satisfied!!

Please let us know about the Penelope/Gizmo 17 result. Where are you buying these?

PirateB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Please let us know about the Penelope/Gizmo 17 result. Where are you buying these?

Will do. naturevape.co.uk the 22/24mm versions seem to come and go quickly but the 17mm is generally in stock in a couple of colors. Spare parts are available and shipping from UK -> USA was 4-5 days.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz around this mod outside of ukvapers--not sure why, is a nicely put together mod--anyway...

Here is a picture of gizmo/Penelope I found on ukvapers forum. Obviously its possible..but wondering if it fits as is or if this person had his Penelope turned down to fit--will report findings.
sypyrame.jpg

Cheers

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Will do. naturevape.co.uk the 22/24mm versions seem to come and go quickly but the 17mm is generally in stock in a couple of colors. Spare parts are available and shipping from UK -> USA was 4-5 days.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of buzz around this mod outside of ukvapers--not sure why, is a nicely put together mod--anyway...

Here is a picture of gizmo/Penelope I found on ukvapers forum. Obviously its possible..but wondering if it fits as is or if this person had his Penelope turned down to fit--will report findings.
sypyrame.jpg

Cheers

I hear you, @PirateB. Obviously tight, but what a great combo. Thinking what would be involved if you had to open that bore up a bit? I looked at an exploded view of the Gizmo to see the construction and personally I would go for it, with the help of a drill press. Remove the 510 connector, chuck a 1/2" sanding drum and gently rotate it around in the bore. If you need to remove more material, drill out first then finish with the drum. 6061 aluminum is such a breeze to work with. Just gotta be careful protecting the exterior anodizing with painters tape.

Your interest in the Penelope parallels my interest in the Euforia. I really like my Kayfun mini but it's a bit tall for stealth and needs a bit more capacity. That 17mm Euforia seems like just the solution. Waiting for availability and price.

Stay tuned to this thread. I have a few custom top firing side by side mini mods coming up. One 18350 with an Orchid atty that fits inside a pack of cigarettes, drip tip included. Another 14500 that is even smaller.

Cheers to you!

Last edited:

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Tiny and really nice. Can you fire it up with the palm of your hand? Or do you pinky fire or what?
Flip the battery disk upside down to match the magnets polarity on the 4nine, and you can tilt fire it.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

sypyrame.jpg

Cheers

You @PirateB are a bad influence. Seduced by the lovely Penelope, I pulled the trigger on an Ehpro Euphoria. :) Two hour later I requested a cancellation. The Euphoria is not based on the Penelope V3 but the earlier models using no-resistance wire and silica. :( Don't really want to fiddle around with that. So, back to where I was. Now, where was that? :confused:

Last edited:

PirateB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

PirateB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks @PirateB. V3 upgrade doubles the price! :eek:

Yes but still half the cost of Penelope v3 ;)

I don't have either but hope to one of these days, especially since I've caught eye of the gizmo mod. I do have the tilemahos (basically a 21mm Penelope) and its awesome, but too short to use in the gizmo effectively without a 510 adapter/extender which I'm not too fond of.

VU Sponsors