Become a Patron!

HIC's LEMON MERINGUE PIE

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I very much enjoyed this one, however, in my DarkHorse RDA the flavor is basically not there... super muted, it is already subtle in my Veritas. So I tried to up the flavor %s, and that helped a bit, but now the meringue is gone lol. I did 1.5x the recipe:

6% FA Lemon Sicily
3% FA Custard
1.5% FA Meringue
0.75% FA Fresh Cream
0.75% FA Apple Pie
0.75% FA Cookie
0.75% FA Lime Cold-Pressed

The lemon seems to now overpower everything else. How would you suggest I up the flavor without this occurring?
A drop of 10% citric acid solution retains the citrus' "presence" or "edge" imo but can mute some bakery notes slightly. My suggestion is to revisit the original recipe (or proportions) and start with 0.5% citric acid. Lemon juice probably works the same, never used it. My experimentation was with Lime Curd Tarts - similar enough to help I think.

Also about steep time, the fruit is strong and bakery is thin first few days, then fruit mellows and bakery rounds out (relatively). I'm assuming you want to tune the steeped flavor. You could just keep the citrus flavors separate, and seed steep the recipe's bakery ingredients, shake-n-vaping a day's supply to keep the citrus fresh.

The citric acid keeps the fruit tasting relatively "fresh mixed" if you go that route.

I think adding the 1% Vienna Cream option mellows the lemon, I didn't try it without but with 1% V.Cream, and original recipe + aged, the lemon is mellow once aged imho.

Last edited:

FaitAccompli

Member For 4 Years
A drop of 10% citric acid solution retains the citrus' "presence" or "edge" imo but can mute some bakery notes slightly. My suggestion is to revisit the original recipe (or proportions) and start with 0.5% citric acid. Lemon juice probably works the same, never used it. My experimentation was with Lime Curd Tarts - similar enough to help I think.

Also about steep time, the fruit is strong and bakery is thin first few days, then fruit mellows and bakery rounds out (relatively). I'm assuming you want to tune the steeped flavor. You could just keep the citrus flavors separate, and seed steep the recipe's bakery ingredients, shake-n-vaping a day's supply to keep the citrus fresh.

The citric acid keeps the fruit tasting relatively "fresh mixed" if you go that route.

@FaitAccompli I think adding the 1% Vienna Cream option mellows the lemon, I didn't try it without but with 1% V.Cream, and original recipe + aged, the lemon is mellow once aged imho.

I have definitely noticed the citrus muting. It isn't unpleasant, but the recipe needs a bit more tart to begin with to be like grandma's Lemon Meringue (she loved lemon). Yes, I am adjusting the steeped recipe. I usually make 10ml to test a recipe, then depending on flavor, I either adjust it up and steep or just steep and then adjust if needed. For this one I upped the flavor 1.5x and made 60ml worth in 2 bottles.

Citrus is a funny one, as HIC mentioned earlier. You may have to make the citrus really strong and virtually unvapable to have a nice product waiting after a week or two. I wonder if adding 10% citrus as you suggest would help keep lemons and limes nice and tart for a while... I will have to acquire some and try it out.

VapingBiker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HIC, I don't have Lime-Cold Pressed. Just Lime Tahiti. Will that work?

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just mixed up a batch of this, and wow; it's so good!

10ml, 70% VG / 30# PG, 0mg Nicotine.
Lemon Sicily adjusted to 4.5%.
Meringue adjusted to 1.5%.

To me, this mixture tastes JUST like a Lemon Meringue Pie! I knew I would love this before I even bought the flavors to make it. :D
I bumped up the Lemon Sicily and the Meringue because they weren't quite as potent as I wanted them to be.
The default mixture was still very good; I just needed a bit more "kick" in mine. I'm a total Flavor Chaser that way. :p

@HeadInClouds, you truly are an awesome Mixologist! I've loved every recipe of yours I've tried so far.

Keep up the hard work! :)

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
HIC's Lemon Meringue Pie
This rocks my taste buds.
I used TFA's Key Lime since I don't have the FA version. I'm using the TFA until it's gone as I don't care for it as a Key Lime flavor. I feel Flavor West nailed that flavor, but it would be too strong here unless I wanted a Key Lime/Lemon Meringue Pie flavor. Hmm?

I do like how the lime makes the lemon shine through. I may add a tad to HIC's Limoncello Torrone Parfait'
I am having a blast playing around with my new FA flavors I got from http://mamajsjuice.com/
Thanks again to HIC's for sharing some of his great recipes.

Moolers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mixed this up last week (with Vienna Cream because.....well it's Vienna Cream :) ) and my word its very very good. Spot on flavor. Gonna have to mix up a big ol' bottle. Thanks @HeadInClouds.

Zortec2112

Member For 4 Years
This is one awesome vape! It's right on the money flavor-wise! I've only tried it in a dripper, but going to fill a Kayfun today - gotta make this flavor more "portable"! This juice is going to be in my stash at all times! Thanks for this recipe - it's a winner!!!

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks HIC,

I got my order from BCV in last week and finally got a chance to mix this tonight along with a few other things I've been meaning to get to.

OH MY GOD. Excellent. I've had some commercial lemon meringue juices before and this is superior to all of them. You actually get the meringue topping, lemon pie goo, and a crumb crust. I do like the additional Vienna Cream in it to make it more "goopy".

I'd recommend a "clean" nic. I'm using my usual MFS nic and think I need to find something a bit less "throat hitty" with all the citrus action in there. Excellent work on this one sir.

Just mixed this without the Vienna Cream, straight on my dripper....
Love the fluffiness, the flavour is really good dude, thanks for the recipe @HIC :)
Gonna let it sit for a few days though, even knowing you give us shake & vape recipes, I found that if I leave them for a few days to age they became better, no rush ;)

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is the first recipe of yours that I have mixed. I must say it is tasty. I knew by the ingredients I was gona love it. So I went with 100ml and now I figure I shouldn't have made so much. I should of made 100ml of flavoring. O well theres always next week. I realize now why every time I go to the recipe section I always see your recipes. They keep floating to the top when someone new mixes a batch and just has to say thanks. So from me and my wife our sincere thanks for sharing your skills with us.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
This is the first recipe of yours that I have mixed. I must say it is tasty. I knew by the ingredients I was gona love it. So I went with 100ml and now I figure I shouldn't have made so much. I should of made 100ml of flavoring. O well theres always next week. I realize now why every time I go to the recipe section I always see your recipes. They keep floating to the top when someone new mixes a batch and just has to say thanks. So from me and my wife our sincere thanks for sharing your skills with us.

Thank you both for trying it, and I'm glad it suits you! :)

Last edited:

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I have not used any FA concentrates.
I am going to however venture out from my typical TFA and try and jump aboard the FA club.
Hopefully I will be welcome. ;)

Well of course you are! Will this be your first all/mostly FA recipe, or do you have your eye on others, too?

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well of course you are! Will this be your first all/mostly FA recipe, or do you have your eye on others, too?
Honestly it will be my first FA recipe.
Would you recommend this to be my first or should I try another.
I am looking to add a new ADV into my rotation.

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have not used any FA concentrates.
I am going to however venture out from my typical TFA and try and jump aboard the FA club.
Hopefully I will be welcome. ;)
Funny, when I started vaping I spent a small fortune on juice and then I jumped into DIY. I purchased about $300 of TFA 4oz bottles. Most of that is gathering dust. Never have been able to mix anything really good. Bought a few capellas flavors and was good for a long time. Then started lurking in this thread. Now I have about 60 FA flavors am mixing some of the best juices I could ever amagine. Have another 25 flavors on my shopping list. Things are about as good as they can get. I believe I owe this success to two things. Flavor art and all the fine people here that share there experience, accidents thoughts with me. That being said I am starting to use more of my TFA flavors in small amounts and having reasonable sucess.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I wanna make 5 ml to try the recipe
I use one drop in a mix that size for 0.5%, if it's an average size dropper top. If it's those skinny needle tipped bottles, no more than 2, and if you have room, you can go to 6ml with good results, still.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've seen anywhere from 44 to 66 but never actually measured it myself. I like light flavoring so I usually just start with 33 drops per ml in my test mixes and adjust upwards if I find it necessary. I do however, use needle tipped bottles for all my flavors so I'm at least consistent in that regard.

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I could never handle using drops a a method of measurement. I tried but so many different size drops my OCD would drive me nuts. !!! I bought some 1ml syringes and I was much more comfortable. They are cheap and very accurate. I just bought a scale for measuring. Not so much for the accuracy but for the lack of cleanup afterward. Scale was only $12 and I've spent alot more than that on syringes. ( actually I bought 2 scales. OCD again) Hey wait a minute those batteries only last about a couple years. Better put batteries on my list !! LOL

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a scale also but I only use it when I'm making large batches otherwise, for my purposes anyway, it just isn't necessary. I've compared my mixes using drops and those I have made with a scale and I couldn't tell a difference. That might not be the case if I were comparing larger batches ( >30 ml ) however but I don't use drops in that situation.

Even when using syringes, I liked to go the 'efficient' ( quick & easy ) route ... I'd use one small enough for the sub 1% flavors and another one large enough to use for all the others. I'd pull the plunger, cap the end and add flavoring into the opening of the syringe rather than trying to draw through it. Once I had the measurement correct I'd just dump the contents into the mixing container and move on to the next flavor, reusing the same syringe. All the flavors are going to be mixed together anyway so no big deal if a little residual flavor from the previous measurement mixed with the current one. When I was finished mixing, I'd end up with only 2 syringes that needed to be cleaned so not so bad.

I still like my scale but I don't use it as much as I initially thought I might.

Last edited:

nodor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was quite happy using syringes myself. One of the reasons I opted for a scale is that I use 100mg nic and my wife won't touch it. I mixed up some 25mg nic for her. she is not able to mix some of the pg/vg ratios that she wants with her nic. I figured that she would be ale to handle the 100mg nic in a closed bottle with a needle tip using a scale. When I talked to her about it she expressed concerns about the accuracy of using a scale but not the high strength nic. I am hoping scale will make it easier for both of us and make her more confident in using high concentration nic.

LeslieStarshine

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hic's Lemon Meringue Pie:

OMG, This is the first FA recipe I've made, I just got my first FA delivery, (missing FA's Strawberry til monday), so I made this one, I can't even believe how good it is without steeping!!!! If this is any inclination to what I'm in for with FlavourArt and your recipes... I'm in for a real treat!!!!! Thank you for all your time and work put into this!!!!! Seriously, THANK YOU Leslie

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of my favorites :)

OneLief

Unique and Ingenious Title
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For personal non-commercial use only.
Please do not repost this outside of vapingunderground.com.

HIC's Lemon Meringue Pie recipe (all FlavourArt; lemon custard, moist meringue, and traditional crust flavor)

4% FA Lemon Sicily
2% FA Custard
1% FA Meringue
0.5% FA Fresh Cream
0.5% FA Apple Pie
0.5% FA Cookie
0.5% FA Lime Cold-Pressed
optional: up to 1% FA Vienna Cream for richer flavor
made to shake and vape!

I've used strong enough flavoring that most won't need to raise these percents.

Lime Cold-Pressed gives Lemon Sicily a fresher, juicier, bolder flavor. Avoid going over 0.75% here so you won't taste lime. TFA Key Lime would probably work, too - also just 0.5%.

Both Custard and Lime are used to boost Lemon. Fresh Cream makes meringue moister and fluffier, like American meringue pies. Apple Pie and Cookie combine for a traditional pie crust flavor and add sweetness. Add Vienna Cream it makes this richer and sweeter, a bit milder - like real pie made with some dairy and/or butter. Some real lemon meringue pie recipes use those ingredients, some don't. I recommend trying it first without Vienna Cream, and adding it only if it's too 'sharp' tasting to you without it.
Holy cow. This is good. This is the first real recipe I've made of yours. I've got three more in the crock pot. If all your recipes are this good, I'm headed to your website.

cardassian

Member For 4 Years
Mixed up a 50ml batch of this yesterday. Haven't made it in a while. Tried it today and damn it's good :)
I don't use the vienna cream or the lime (can taste the lime even at 0.5%).
Personally feel this recipe really sets a high standard for DYIer's to live up to.

Oh and I'm vaping this at 80 Watts on dual claptons coming in at 0.4. Just thought I'd mention that for others that sub ohm.

Hi @HeadInClouds and to the rest of you here

Ok so i found this recipe with only lemon sicilly in stock. Ordered the rest and got ready to mix but to my horror i found that my lemon sicily was from capellas and instead of cold pressed lime i got the tahity that so far im not very fond off.. do you have any experience with the capella sicily and if this changes the taste too much?

Uh uh another question, i also got the FA Fuji apple wich smells insane, what are youre thoughts on replacing the lemon all together with this? Just to try another variant of the pie

Thanks for being this active to the community btw :)

Last edited:

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I used lime tahiti in it and from my experience, you'll want to use a little less than the recipe calls for. I use same amount as recipe and can taste the lime. Not overwhelmingly so, but a little more than I should

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I haven't personally tried the Caps Lemon Sicily, but read that they're quite comparable.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Hi @HeadInClouds and to the rest of you here

Ok so i found this recipe with only lemon sicilly in stock. Ordered the rest and got ready to mix but to my horror i found that my lemon sicily was from capellas and instead of cold pressed lime i got the tahity that so far im not very fond off.. do you have any experience with the capella sicily and if this changes the taste too much?

Uh uh another question, i also got the FA Fuji apple wich smells insane, what are youre thoughts on replacing the lemon all together with this? Just to try another variant of the pie

Thanks for being this active to the community btw :)

Capella's lemon should sub fine.

Use 0.25% FA Fuji INSTEAD of lime, if you have only lime tahiti. Trust me.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Capella's lemon should sub fine.

Use 0.25% FA Fuji INSTEAD of lime, if you have only lime tahiti. Trust me.
K thanks.
Any idea which lime it is that ecigexpress is selling? FA site (along with bullcityvapor) shows lime tahity cold pressed and lime tahity distilled. Ecigexpress's site just says lime tahity. It's the one I have and I assume it's the distilled (especially since the lime was a little too strong in my mix), but now I dunno. *scratching head* I went to hunt down the cold-pressed to order it and that's when I noticed this.

side note, since on the subject - ecigexpresses TFA chocolate is the dark, not the clear (they only say chocolate on their site).

Last edited:
K thanks.
Any idea which lime it is that ecigexpress is selling? FA site (along with bullcityvapor) shows lime tahity cold pressed and lime tahity distilled. Ecigexpress's site just says lime tahity. It's the one I have and I assume it's the distilled (especially since the lime was a little too strong in my mix), but now I dunno. *scratching head* I went to hunt down the cold-pressed to order it and that's when I noticed this.

side note, since on the subject - ecigexpresses TFA chocolate is the dark, not the clear (they only say chocolate on their site).
Maybe you should ask This to ECX, since they would know ;)

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Maybe you should ask This to ECX, since they would know ;)
Laf. True. Figured I'd get faster answer here ;) Forgot ECX had live chat. Used it and turns out they do have two listings. Distilled is simply Lime Tahity and cold pressed is listed as Lime Tahity Cold Pressed. I didn't see it because it's at the end of category (because they're out of stock).

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Laf. True. Figured I'd get faster answer here ;) Forgot ECX had live chat. Used it and turns out they do have two listings. Distilled is simply Lime Tahity and cold pressed is listed as Lime Tahity Cold Pressed. I didn't see it because it's at the end of category (because they're out of stock).

Good to know what names they're using, even if they are out of stock. :rolleyes: looks like mamaj's has both right now: http://mamajsflavorshop.com/flavourart/sweet/?sort=featured&page=3

I just remember that "cold-pressed" = fresh lime juice. Every vendor that carries both FA limes has one with that as part of the name. That's the one for limeade, easily recognized as lime juice by scent and taste (from the bottle, mmmmm). The other one (distilled, Tahiti, whatever) is either zest or popcicles, depending who you ask and what you mix with it. I love both, but I don't consider them generally interchangeable.

By the way, TFA Chocolate Clear is "clear" of (glucose syrup?) a certain old ingredient - not clear in color. They don't even HAVE a flavor by that name any more: http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com...isplayMode=Grid&Condition=-1&Search=chocolate ECX sometimes has a problem keeping their listings updated with manufacturers.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Good to know what names they're using, even if they are out of stock. :rolleyes: looks like mamaj's has both right now: http://mamajsflavorshop.com/flavourart/sweet/?sort=featured&page=3

I just remember that "cold-pressed" = fresh lime juice. Every vendor that carries both FA limes has one with that as part of the name. That's the one for limeade, easily recognized as lime juice by scent and taste (from the bottle, mmmmm). The other one (distilled, Tahiti, whatever) is either zest or popcicles, depending who you ask and what you mix with it. I love both, but I don't consider them generally interchangeable.

By the way, TFA Chocolate Clear is "clear" of (glucose syrup?) a certain old ingredient - not clear in color. They don't even HAVE a flavor by that name any more: http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com...isplayMode=Grid&Condition=-1&Search=chocolate ECX sometimes has a problem keeping their listings updated with manufacturers.
Good to know, thanks. Heartland has both TFA double chocolate dark and TFA double chocolate clear listed, ECX only has TFA double chocolate listed (which I bought and which is dark in colour).

Mama J's has cold pressed in stock? awesome! Thanks!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Good to know, thanks. Heartland has both TFA double chocolate dark and TFA double chocolate clear listed, ECX only has TFA double chocolate listed (which I bought and which is dark in colour).

Oh here it is: http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-7244-double-chocolate-dark-flavor.aspx
If you leave out the added caramel coloring and sulfites, it's this one: http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-7198-double-chocolate-clear-flavor.aspx (not clear in color, just without those 2 things)

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

VU Sponsors