Become a Patron!

FlavourArt Club ... formally known as the PureVapes thread

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not entirely sure that the FA citrus fades, I think it blends into the background. (edit: is that the same thing?) Other brands tend to stay centered better. My favorite mixes use at least 2 brands of flavorings.

Last edited:

Vcoupe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not entirely sure that the FA citrus fades, I think it blends into the background. Other brands tend to stay centered better. My favorite mixes use at least 2 brands of flavorings.

What do you use that tends to keep the flavor in the forefront? I think you are right, I notice the background blending

I even notice TFA key lime going silent after steep. I have FW too.

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What do you use that tends to keep the flavor in the forefront? I think you are right, I notice the background blending

I even notice TFA key lime going silent after steep. I have FW too.
The short incomplete answer is I layer it with another similar "loud and centered" (probably tpa) flavor at low low % to give the sensual mind something to latch onto, and maybe the related flavor molecules too. The complete answer is to follow the taste; observe and explore and observe.

AFAIK If there's any secret, it's in the balance, not some additive. Something else may be muting it. If you back off on what that is, you may need to compensate with something else, ad infinitum.

About a flavor's "final profile" (after steeping/storage before going stale) - I think mostly commercial mixers are tuning for this, as shelf life hasn't been on our radar and so scientific progress is slow. I'd imagine pH would be a more pressing issue. Acids seem to keep working after it's "done" steeping - go lite on CA and MA if a mix is for the shelf.

Last edited:

Vcoupe

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The short incomplete answer is I layer it with another similar "loud and centered" (probably tpa) flavor at low low % to give the sensual mind something to latch onto, and maybe the related flavor molecules too. The complete answer is to follow the taste; observe and explore and observe.

AFAIK If there's any secret, it's in the balance, not some additive. Something else may be muting it. If you back off on what that is, you may need to compensate with something else, ad infinitum.

About a flavor's "final profile" - I think mostly commercial mixers are tuning for this, as shelf life hasn't been on our radar and so scientific progress is slow. I'd imagine pH would be a more pressing issue. Acids seem to keep working after it's "done" steeping - go lite on CA and MA if a mix is for the shelf.

Noted and appreciated. Commercial mixes can worry about commericial business, I just need a mix that lasts beyond a week or so. I don't enjoy mixing small batch after small batch. I've only been DIY for about a week and change and I'm trying to absorb as much as I can. I do know that I got pretty tired of paying $25 per 30ml while vaping .2-4 ohm setups at times. Lots of things to learn :).

Laughmore

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hogging the thread, I need a life... a tank-filling accident named "Cuban Paradise" by a ECF member years ago, converted to mostly FA and enjoyed by me.. Liking it too much not to share while I tweak it. Maybe the most ADV'able super-decadent vape I've had, better than Grand Reserve clones I've tried ($25/15ml hazelnut coffee cream). Subject to change: cuban and hazel down a notch, increasing coconut, decreasing caramel, and whether to keep or squash the wood notes. I was hoping to find a way to use FA hazel and get this taste, gave up. Could probably use DX Hazelnut TPA as well. Avoiding the D-A-A.

Hazelnut v2 CAP: 4%
Vanilla Custard v2 CAP: 2%
Cuban Supreme FA: 2%
Coconut FA: 1.5%
Caramel FA: .5%
EM (10%): .75%
rich enough to pop in 25/75

Steep time is 3 days for the cuban to blend, heat bath mandatory. After a week, <3 After I gave up on FA hazel, I mixed this up and dubbed it my pet project again because I love that rich hazelnut at .4 ohms so much. Once FA Joy comes in, we'll see if that can help the coconut.
The exact original would use CAP coconut @ 7% (not diketone free) instead of FA coconut and caramel.

Last edited:

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've yet to find a blueberry that doesn't taste nasty. I have several and none of them taste like blueberry to me. I am partial to Caps blackberry though, just have to use small doses as it gets stronger with age.

TFA Blueberry Wild is my favorite so far, and also the VZ-SC Blackberry (1-2%).

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Flavourart junkies: I have a quick question. Do the new orange top flavoring bottles have a seal? Or are they normally not sealed? Just curios because I just obtained "Storm" and it leaked all over my hangen flavoring. I'm not complaining just curious on the seal.
You mean like a shrink-wrap seal? Not the one I have. I got one today and it's a bit weird on the push down and turn, but it wasn't wrapped, didn't leak. Did you get it from BCV? He'll take care of that for you. He's awesome on stuff.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Wait, I think my internet and/or computer is broken. It says on my screen that it's been over 48 hours since a post has been made to this thread. That can't be right, can it?!

I hope everyone is ok!

SixFiveLive

Member For 4 Years
Hey everyone. I've been lurking on here for a while going between reading this thread and the pure vapes one in that other place, and finally caught up. Thanks so much for all the info and entertainment. Maybe now I can start mixing more again, as I usually end up just reading pages and pages, then realizing how late it is. I started diy around the end of march and I'm so glad that this thread is here...see you around.

krashkrieg

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes BCV. No, not that serious to launch a complaint. Was just curious about shrink wrap. I obtained the Inawera flavors and they are super sealed.Edit: I will not buy anymore of these bottles. I like FA but not willing to smell the flavorings from leakage. Onward to mix the "Storm".

Last week I received about 10 original FA 10ml bottles from BCV and had NO issues with leakage.
I also want to add that although the bottles are hard plastic (LPDE?), the orange drippers tops they use are sweet.
After done, almost nothing runs down the side of the tip which does happen on some other flavors ultimately needing to be wiped or risk extra smell leakage after replacing the top.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I personally love how Cookie and Vanilla Classic play together so well.[/QUOTE]
I made up a 70ml bottle of the lemon meringue pie back in March - love that stuff - but you're right, the lemon does significantly lose its edge over time. I use the big bottle to fill the little 10ml in the vape bag in my purse, but every time I refill I just go ahead and add a couple-3 drops of lemon sicily to the small one. Seems to perk it right up.
A must try is hics lemon cardamom custard....I'm just saying!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Noted and appreciated. Commercial mixes can worry about commericial business, I just need a mix that lasts beyond a week or so. I don't enjoy mixing small batch after small batch. I've only been DIY for about a week and change and I'm trying to absorb as much as I can. I do know that I got pretty tired of paying $25 per 30ml while vaping .2-4 ohm setups at times. Lots of things to learn :).
Fyi if you check out my signature on hic, he sells recipes along with complete notes. Some of those notes contain info on flavor interaction. It's a great way to learn diy. His key lime ice cream and notes may be very beneficial to you. If recipe is not on his site pm @HeadInClouds .

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lately I've been making my own NET juices, and I've been playing around with an extraction method, I needed some PG for an extract so I went over to a B&M that makes there own juice and sells PG and VG, I just needed a little PG....
They had about a dozen passthroughs set up with some of these new fangled tanks they have nowdays.to test juice flavors out with, so I gave them a shot.....it was like vaping pancake syrup...these garishly overflavored ultrasweet nicotine sodas.

earlw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like pie too . . . but I think I'm starting to like tobaccos more. I'm going to try Apple Fritters next - that I believe comes from Smoky Blue - to see if I can have the best of both worlds - tobacco pie!

earlw

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lately I've been making my own NET juices, and I've been playing around with an extraction method, I needed some PG for an extract so I went over to a B&M that makes there own juice and sells PG and VG, I just needed a little PG....
They had about a dozen passthroughs set up with some of these new fangled tanks they have nowdays.to test juice flavors out with, so I gave them a shot.....it was like vaping pancake syrup...these garishly overflavored ultrasweet nicotine sodas.
I can see why they do that though. New vaper's taste buds aren't all that sensitive after years of smoking and besides, many of those tanks wouldn't bring out subtle flavours anyway. It's only after 10 months of vaping, and switching to Aqua 2's, Taifun GTII's etc., that I find myself consistently cutting down flavouring % and sweetness. When I go back to some of the store-bought juices I purchased months ago they can't hold a candle to many of the recipes I've found here. In fact they are mostly unvapable to me now.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I mixed up a batch of HIC's County Fair Apple Pie on 6/2 subbing FA Jamaican Rum for FA Brandy. (Don't have Brandy). 5% total flavoring and five days later, it's chock full of smoky-sweet, smooth, fruity goodness! It tasted distinctly nutty to me at first, but I'm sensitive to nut flavors and after it had a chance to rest a few days the nuttiness receded into the general crusty background.

After vaping it for a while I felt I wanted the apple and the caramel flavors to be a little more pronounced--they are both definitely present, but subtly so. So, I decided to try to replicate an effect that amazed me from Rocket Puppy's Caramel Apple and added:

0.1% FA Fuji
0.25% FA pear
0.5% FA White Peach (RP'S CA calls for 0.5% FA Peach but I don't have it so I used white peach at half strength to great effect in her recipe. Here, in HIC's CFAP, I accidentally used twice as much).

Well. I can definitely taste the peach. And the smokiness is markedly diminished by the added fruit. I don't taste that wallop of apple or extra caramel I was expecting, either. I've just mixed it up a few minutes ago, so I'll keep shaking and let it sit at least overnight before I call it a fail.

Hey...peachy apple pie isn't a bad thing. Just not what I was going for. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

If anyone has ideas about why this may not have worked, please share! Maybe I need to add that little bit of coconut and/or butterscotch from RP's Caramel Apple? Or maybe the rum in the mix had some kind of entropic effect. Or maybe it's just too much white peach :\

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Or maybe it's just too much white peach :\

Yes, that's a strong flavor that really can cut though others, even just that half-a-percent.
The apple flavor in FA Apple Pie is FA Apple (they're yellow delicious type apples), so you could add some of that for fruitier flavor. Fuji could work, too for brighter flavor (like White Peach is brighter than Peach, Fuji is brighter than Apple) - I think that 0.1% is too light-handed. 0.25%? 0.5%? the bit of Pear you added should work as a sweetener. If you want some caramel, just add some caramel.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need some help from the veterans.....I'm fairly new to DIY....I have always bought small quanities of nic base say 120ml at a time usually in the 24-36mg range.I usually mix to 12mg.
Because of bull city shutting down selling nic for awhile,and the fact I really like VT nic, I am going to be forced to buy 100mg nic base from VT direct, which I have never used.I have some concerns and questions I hope you all would be kind enough to help me with.
First I will be buying a VG nic base of 100mg,and I will dilute it down to bottles of 24mg of VG nic base...I am concerned because of the viscosity of VG that the nic will not be evenly distributed how should I go about diluting the 100mg and dividing it into seperate bottles to get an even distribution of nic into all the bottles....
Secondly I will be freezing some of the bottles, and I will be forced to freeze it in the same feezer I have food in.What is the safest way to store and freeze the nic, without fear of it say leaking into the freezer and contaminating food...thanks.
What types of containers should I use to freeze the nic in.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I need some help from the veterans.....I'm fairly new to DIY....I have always bought small quanities of nic base say 120ml at a time usually in the 24-36mg range.I usually mix to 12mg.
Because of bull city shutting down selling nic for awhile,and the fact I really like VT nic, I am going to be forced to buy 100mg nic base from VT direct, which I have never used.I have some concerns and questions I hope you all would be kind enough to help me with.
First I will be buying a VG nic base of 100mg,and I will dilute it down to bottles of 24mg of VG nic base...I am concerned because of the viscosity of VG that the nic will not be evenly distributed how should I go about diluting the 100mg and dividing it into seperate bottles to get an even distribution of nic into all the bottles....
Secondly I will be freezing some of the bottles, and I will be forced to freeze it in the same feezer I have food in.What is the safest way to store and freeze the nic, without fear of it say leaking into the freezer and contaminating food...thanks.
What types of containers should I use to freeze the nic in.

I use 100mg/ml VG nic base, too. You can warm the bottle by setting it (capped) in warm water a while. VG gets thin and watery when warm. Once it's thin, shake the nic bottle you bought to be sure IT is well mixed. Make your measurements into the bottles you'll be freezing, and do the same with them. Put those well mixed bottles in the freezer. When I take one out to use, I let it warm to room temperature and give it a few shakes, but to be sure it's all well-mixed, you could warm and shake that, too.

Depending how long this nic will last you, you could make a short-term (6-month?) supply of diluted nic to freeze, and keep the remaining 100mg/ml nic frozen until you need to dilute it later.

The best bottles for long-term freezer storage are glass. I use plastic for nic I figure I'll use within 6 months or so, because it's less likely to break. I put the bottles in a zip-lock freezer bag, just in case of leaks, and stow it way back out the way in the freezer - well-labeled so nobody mistakes it for something else!

If you're filling bottles with room-temperature or warmer liquid, be sure to fill all bottles FULL! VG shrinks in cold temperatures; it will not expand and split the bottle or overflow.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 100mg/ml VG nic base, too. You can warm the bottle by setting it (capped) in warm water a while. VG gets thin and watery when warm. Once it's thin, shake the nic bottle you bought to be sure IT is well mixed. Make your measurements into the bottles you'll be freezing, and do the same with them. Put those well mixed bottles in the freezer. When I take one out to use, I let it warm to room temperature and give it a few shakes, but to be sure it's all well-mixed, you could warm and shake that, too.

Depending how long this nic will last you, you could make a short-term (6-month?) supply of diluted nic to freeze, and keep the remaining 100mg/ml nic frozen until you need to dilute it later.

The best bottles for long-term freezer storage are glass. I use plastic for nic I figure I'll use within 6 months or so, because it's less likely to break. I put the bottles in a zip-lock freezer bag, just in case of leaks, and stow it way back out the way in the freezer - well-labeled so nobody mistakes it for something else!

If you're filling bottles with room-temperature or warmer liquid, be sure to fill all bottles FULL! VG shrinks in cold temperatures; it will not expand and split the bottle or overflow.
Thanks so much HIC

JXN

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After pouring full strength 100 mg from a beaker into 50mL glass, I made larger batches for my diluted nic this time. Instead of measuring into each bottle I used a liter bottle and mixed to fill the number of glass bottles I was using. For instance I used 6 120 mL glass bottles I filled from making a 40mg 720 mL batch. and I used 3 240ml glass I filled from another 720 mL batch of 30mg both 50/50. Shaking the larger bottle was easier and cut down on the amount of handling the potentialy dangerous 100mg.

Last edited:

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also use pg based nic - filled bottles full after reading that the pg doesn't expand much if any.. @Huckleberried I like the bubble wrap ! Hadn't thought of that. I was using ziplock's and then used a small cardboard box to keep the bottles from being shuffled around. Just trying to avoid the possiblity of breakage of course.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
If freezing 18 mg 50/50 mix how much room for expansion should I leave if any? Thanks

PG and VG contract as they cool, opposite of water. So fill 'em full before you freeze them.

The only problem you can encounter (learn from my mess): If you fill your bottles, then freeze them, they'll shrink as expected. THEN when you bring them out to warm, the liquid volume expands. (Do you see what's coming here?) If the liquid is below room temp when you fill the bottles, then when you eventually warm it up beyond the original temp, it can overflow.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was using ziplock's and then used a small cardboard box to keep the bottles from being shuffled around.
Oh, I have one of those, too, LOL! Super handy. Last time I ordered bottles, I filled them up, put them back in the box (it had separators in it), sealed it with tape, labeled it. Perfect, safe, storage.

VU Sponsors