Become a Patron!

Which do you Prefer, Regulated or Unregulated Mod

Authentic Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't have much experience with regulated mods. Nevermind... I have no experience with regulated...

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Is this because of safety reasons? More cloud? Can you please explain?
A little of safety and a little versatility....i dont have to build a specific coil for a specific tank to get the vape i want....Whatever the coil comes out to i can adjust it to what i like heat and vapor wise.

Also you get a consistent vape on a regulated...not a strong vape then a gradual degradation as time goes on like a mech does.

I owned one mech before...a nemesis clone...Put my tank on it and the juice crackled like mad and was just too hot for my liking even with just a 1.8 ohm coil....Went right to an MVP 20w and havent looked back to a mech.

Not that i dont still want to own some form of mech but, it will be in a box form with protection features built in...Smok 50 or maybe a dovpo gx200..And even then i dont see it as my everyday thing.... I Like my regulateds alot.

Authentic Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A little of safety and a little versatility....i dont have to build a specific coil for a specific tank to get the vape i want....Whatever the coil comes out to i can adjust it to what i like heat and vapor wise.

Also you get a consistent vape on a regulated...not a strong vape then a gradual degradation as time goes on like a mech does.

I owned one mech before...a nemesis clone...Put my tank on it and the juice crackled like mad and was just too hot for my liking even with just a 1.8 ohm coil....Went right to an MVP 20w and havent looked back to a mech.

Not that i dont still want to own some form of mech but, it will be in a box form with protection features built in...Smok 50 or maybe a dovpo gx200..And even then i dont see it as my everyday thing.... I Like my regulateds alot.
Awesome! Thank you so much for that.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mechs dont break. Chinese regulated break pretty easy. I go mech

... and mechs need constant maintenance and as mentioned... the vape changes throughout the the battery life.

Both have their plus's and minus's .... I vape 99% of the time regulated but it's nice to have a mech around because of their reliability ( if maintained ).

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, i would rather have to maintain a mech than continuously replace a regulated. My first mech from years ago still works perfect, i am on my 3rd high powered regulated in the past year and a half.

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I typically vape on my regulated devices for many of the reasons listed above. I have a couple tube mechs around here but they do not see much use. The Reo is the except to the mech regulated debate. the Reo has been worthy of regular use in my primarily regulated rotation.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Really? You think I am a liar or what? None of your fucking business what I do.

I am not going to argue with you, I was just stating that your statement is not true for ME.
Maybe I just take care of my things better than you do who knows.
Lol, me asking you what your physical job is, is calling you a liar? Little insecure are we. I was just wondering what type of physical job a 53 yr old woman would have... sorry if that offended you.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Didn't offend me at all. There are plenty of women that have physical jobs even older than I am. Gasp!

And if you can't imagine a woman 53 yrs. old doing a physical job I suggest you turn off your computer and look at the real world. Insecurities are not my thing.

Last edited:

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That is your place @kelli dear.
I gave up the kitchen many years ago. ;)
i have never felt at home in a kitchen. (culinarily impaired :p)

oh guess i should answer the question by the OP. i prefer regulated mods. and i can break anything. and have.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use mechs at home and regulated devices with good battery life when im outdoors, at work etc.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, i would rather have to maintain a mech than continuously replace a regulated. My first mech from years ago still works perfect, i am on my 3rd high powered regulated in the past year and a half.

You must have been buying crappy, or cheap ones or perhaps you're clumsy or something, or just bad luck of the draw... I've only had one that was a dud ( a really cheap one that I knowingly gambled on )... the others I've got work great... I've even still got a working Vamo v2 from 2012 although it's not in the class of the ones I've gotten over the last year or so.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No.. i work in construction and EVERYTHING on a job site takes a beating, and mechs keep going while the regulated ones dont last.

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you dont think mechs beat regulated hands down in durablity, then you probably have never owned a mech.

kami917

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like mech mod more than regulated due to some times on regulated mods out of no where check atomizer pops up and can't vape. Mech mod you can put in any ohm coil it push and shoot ^^ long as you know what your doing mech mods are easyer and it's more compact to carry so for me mech gets +1

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Regulated.
I'm not talking about cheap Chinese boxes
they have their place since i have a 150 watt Sigelei but its running @ 35 watts with a Subtank.and I don't have to charge it for 4 or 5 days.

I'm talking regulated as in this:
20140911_233540.jpg
A 120 watt raptor chip homemade in a hammond 1590B Box.

This fires like your mech does the first time when you have it set perfectly.
Only i'm firing this at .3 ohms 6 volts.
It fires like your mech does the first time when you have it set perfectly but it fires that way ALL DAY.
There is a reason these thing are banned from cloud comps.
If only one guy had this he would win. every time.
It's no longer about the build or your choice in batteries it's even power for the life of the pair of batteries.
When I got my first real regulated mod. A Craving Vapor Hex Ohm V1 which is in a smaller hammond box with a 50 watt Okr t-10 Chip I put my mech down and never picked it up again. Its like the difference between a moped and a harley.
Heres a pic:
20140716_215158.jpg

Authentic Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Regulated.
I'm not talking about cheap Chinese boxes
they have their place since i have a 150 watt Sigelei but its running @ 35 watts with a Subtank.and I don't have to charge it for 4 or 5 days.

I'm talking regulated as in this:
View attachment 17347
A 120 watt raptor chip homemade in a hammond 1590B Box.

This fires like your mech does the first time when you have it set perfectly.
Only i'm firing this at .3 ohms 6 volts.
It fires like your mech does the first time when you have it set perfectly but it fires that way ALL DAY.
There is a reason these thing are banned from cloud comps.
If only one guy had this he would win. every time.
It's no longer about the build or your choice in batteries it's even power for the life of the pair of batteries.
When I got my first real regulated mod. A Craving Vapor Hex Ohm V1 which is in a smaller hammond box with a 50 watt Okr t-10 Chip I put my mech down and never picked it up again. Its like the difference between a moped and a harley.
Heres a pic:
View attachment 17348
Wow. Thank you for the pics and analogy :)

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me I moved on from mechs, not because I don't like them its because I find it more SAFER, and you have the option of adjusting ur watts/volts to produce flavorful vape.......
I do own hybrid boxes as well...
Like what I said I moved on....
If I work in a construction site I will probably buy me a custom all SS regulated box mod...IM JUST SAYING
BIGBOYVAPER

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For me, dust always finds its way onto the chip and into the screen. With a mech I can just take it apart and clean it. Dont get me wrong, I use regulated as well, just not at work. If I could only have one, it would be a mech.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
For me, dust always finds its way onto the chip and into the screen. With a mech I can just take it apart and clean it. Dont get me wrong, I use regulated as well, just not at work. If I could only have one, it would be a mech.

Check out the E-LVT 30 Watt. Problem gone.

And I think they are coming out with a 50 watt Mini version of it as well.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guess you dont have a physical job.
I'm in an office about half the time and out working on one of our properties half the time...my regulated box has been going everywhere with me lately, though my mech used to do the same. Box has survived some drops and knocks, but I wouldn't take it up on a roof with me, leave it out if I'm painting, or have it in my pocket while I'm clearing brush...I wouldn't do it with a mech either, but i'd probably be more comfortable with one.

I guess if you're on a big new build site and can't get back to your truck for a smoke/water break a mech might make more sense. But I wouldn't say that's the case for every physical job...

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm in an office about half the time and out working on one of our properties half the time...my regulated box has been going everywhere with me lately, though my mech used to do the same. Box has survived some drops and knocks, but I wouldn't take it up on a roof with me, leave it out if I'm painting, or have it in my pocket while I'm clearing brush...I wouldn't do it with a mech either, but i'd probably be more comfortable with one.

I guess if you're on a big new build site and can't get back to your truck for a smoke/water break a mech might make more sense. But I wouldn't say that's the case for every physical job...
Very true. Here is my situation. I do mainly commercial work in downtown SF. My truck is usually many blocks away from where I am working, parked on some side street or in a lot.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

+1 I have the Dovpo GX-200, like it as my at home mod for doing fun coils. Have two regulated with a third in the near future for temperature controlled gaping (iPV 4).

Authentic Mods

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For me I moved on from mechs, not because I don't like them its because I find it more SAFER, and you have the option of adjusting ur watts/volts to produce flavorful vape.......
I do own hybrid boxes as well...
Like what I said I moved on....
If I work in a construction site I will probably buy me a custom all SS regulated box mod...IM JUST SAYING
BIGBOYVAPER
Very informative. Thank you so much.

I have a mix of both, and I guess I would have to say I prefer the Mech more as I love my Reo's. By far my favorite mods out of them all. I dont chase clouds, and I am hard on stuff. I did recently get my first Regulated mods in a few years not long ago and I really like them (Sigelei 150w / IPV Mini 2).

If I was chasing clouds, I for sure would go Regulated for the safety aspect, but thats just me.

My dad used to tell me "I could break a anvil with a rubber hammer".

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mechanical mods for me presently. I feel the lure of regulated mods, but so far I haven't felt the pull strong
enough to make a regulated mod purchase. I'm sure I'll cave eventually. I also work in construction and a
mechanicals durability and longevity serve me well.

WiSilverVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use only mech mods at home and only regulated away from home. I prefer the mech, but away from home want the ease and not having to mess with stuff...it is what it is, there is a reason to have both IMO

VU Sponsors