Become a Patron!

What song are you playing right now?

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's sure to be a rollicking good time, bondo! Have a BLAST, and maybe come back to tell us about it. I always love vicarious thrills when it comes to live shows.
Will do!
The best part about it is that it's a bar show.
it's one of the larger bar venues in town but a bar non the less. ;)

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My musical taste is really eclectic lol. I do opera to Norwegian black metal. NO COUNTRY.

Same here.
I will listen to some country though. Mostly pre-80's, mid to late 90's and some off the wall blue grass style like filthy still or Jake orvis.
LOVE me some strange music though!
I was happy as hell when BLH signed to strange after being a fan from back in his baby eating, "EBK everyday all day till the day I die" days.

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Same here.
I will listen to some country though. Mostly pre-80's, mid to late 90's and some off the wall blue grass style like filthy still or Jake orvis.
LOVE me some strange music though!
I was happy as hell when BLH signed to strange after being a fan from back in his baby eating, "EBK everyday all day till the day I die" days.

I am not the biggest rap fan, bit I like just about everyone on strange music's roster. I'm a really big Tech N9ne fan. I collect horror movie stuff and creepy stuff. On one wall there I a cradle of filth poster the other wall has a tech poster. Throws people off. I have been listening to BLH for a long time. Since he was still doing crip shit before he went completely morbid.

I'm into alot of ICP and the family stuff. I like old school gangster rap like spice one too. I listen to a lot of metal as well.

I've been known to belt out a Taylor swift song at the stop light to embarrass the old lady and kids too.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am not the biggest rap fan, bit I like just about everyone on strange music's roster. I'm a really big Tech N9ne fan. I collect horror movie stuff and creepy stuff. On one wall there I a cradle of filth poster the other wall has a tech poster. Throws people off. I have been listening to BLH for a long time. Since he was still doing crip shit before he went completely morbid.

I'm into alot of ICP and the family stuff. I like old school gangster rap like spice one too. I listen to a lot of metal as well.

I've been known to belt out a Taylor swift song at the stop light to embarrass the old lady and kids too.

Lol, I've been a juggalo since '93.
I have to admit though, I kind of lost interest in icp around the second set of cards. I still listen to the older stuff and I'll pop in big money hustlas or stranglemania every now and then because that shit is funny as hell but I started to realize that I'm 35 yrs old, those guys are in their 40's and still rapping about the same shit and basically still making music for the younger crowds.
what I like about tech is if you listen to his back log, you know every little detail about him.
the only people I'm not into on strange are rittz and prozak.
rittz is too repetitive and I didn't even like prozak back in the bedlam or PDM days.

And spice 1 was the shit back then!

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I like rittz, i like cess crew too. I'm not much younger than you. I figured at one point I was to old, bit then after being older for a while decided fuck what age I am, I just live life. My kids are safe and taken care of the bills are paid and I like to act 25 to stay young lol.

These guys were good too back in the day.. The little guy died and I haven't heard anything about them in eons'

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like rittz, i like cess crew too. I'm not much younger than you. I figured at one point I was to old, bit then after being older for a while decided fuck what age I am, I just live life. My kids are safe and taken care of the bills are paid and I like to act 25 to stay young lol.

These guys were good too back in the day.. The little guy died and I haven't heard anything about them in eons'

Believe me brother, my mind is much younger than my body.
I don't feel that I'm too old to clown Arou d.
my best friend is 51and my wife is 46. My wife and I actually met in A juggalo chat room back when MSN chat was a thing.
my best friend is an old, Kentucky born Billy from the hilly regions. I got him into icp about 10 years ago and he's pretty much the only reason that I even pay attention to them anymore.
they're still as funny as all get out but I'm getting to the point that's it's like,"how many ways can you say the same shit"?.
Take twizted for example.
HOK was local fire in MI, until mad and Mon left.
here it is 25 years or so later and their still doing the same raps over new beats.
yall been doing this for 20+years and can't come up with a story or two?
Don't get me wrong mad and Mon never disappoint with the flow.
I just wish some of these older cats would switch it up some.

Rap and hip hop falls by the way side 9/10 times because it's mostly just the same shit over and over.
same shit with "modern rock".
Icp(psy in general), esham,twizted, etc...
theyre all contributing to the death of a sub genre because there seems to be no direction to advance.
it's all just different metaphor's and analogies to say the same shit.
that was the reason I turned my back on rap completely for about 10 years.
I used to produce tracks but I got so fed up with bullshit rap about cars, money and hoes that I refused to listen to any rap that wasn't strictly independent and I completely gave up on production.
I agree with you for the most part that rap sucks. There are very few mainstream artists that I feel are "bringing it" but the same can be said about every other genre.
this and this alone is why I search for my own music.
much like vape gear, i find out as much as i can,take reviews and opinions with a grain of salt and figure out weather it's worth a try or not.
with music though, for me, I'll jam the fuck out of just about any genre or style if the band, solo, group, etc. Is good at what they do.
example:
I'm not a huge fan of contemporary folk but this is a damn good song and the band pulls it off.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Omg! The cramps are an epitome of a band that mastered a genre but were overlooked and underrated.
Punk in those days was great but just like every other genre, you had bands geared toward mainstream.
it's no fault of theirs but as the genre caught on and popularity grew, a lot of bands (cough*the ramones) found themselves becoming the poison and Mötley crew of the genre before a genre was even a thing.
the ramones were good but unfortunately for them they got too big too quick and got played out.
the cramps,MDC, DK(almost as bad as the ramones), DRI, SOD, fear, etc...
these were some of the bands that defined what punk was about.
"I can hardly play, I can't sing but goddamnit! I'm pissed!!!!"

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
...I agree with you for the most part that rap sucks....

There are still a few gems out there ---

Hiphopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros - Flight of the Conchords

Iamme

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Omg! The cramps are an epitome of a band that mastered a genre but were overlooked and underrated.
Punk in those days was great but just like every other genre, you had bands geared toward mainstream.
it's no fault of theirs but as the genre caught on and popularity grew, a lot of bands (cough*the ramones) found themselves becoming the poison and Mötley crew of the genre before a genre was even a thing.
the ramones were good but unfortunately for them they got too big too quick and got played out.
the cramps,MDC, DK(almost as bad as the ramones), DRI, SOD, fear, etc...
these were some of the bands that defined what punk was about.
"I can hardly play, I can't sing but goddamnit! I'm pissed!!!!"

Old real punk rock is great. I like the Ramones and sex pistols ET... My dad was a punk rocker so I grew up on stuff that was not so main stream. In Akron Ohio there was a club called the bank. It was a Mecca for punk and new wave bands. I heard the main stream stuff, but groups like the bizzaros, plasmatics, rubber city rebles, and devo (before fame and whip it) tin heuwy and a bunch of other stuff was stuff I heard a lot. I would have the punk rock kids in high school raving about Rancid and other punk and Ska groups and I would tell them it wasn't punk rock and they would get pissed.

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Old real punk rock is great. I like the Ramones and sex pistols ET... My dad was a punk rocker so I grew up on stuff that was not so main stream. In Akron Ohio there was a club called the bank. It was a Mecca for punk and new wave bands. I heard the main stream stuff, but groups like the bizzaros, plasmatics, rubber city rebles, and devo (before fame and whip it) tin heuwy and a bunch of other stuff was stuff I heard a lot. I would have the punk rock kids in high school raving about Rancid and other punk and Ska groups and I would tell them it wasn't punk rock and they would get pissed.

Hehehe....and then came nofx and eventually green day.....
try to tell a nofx fan that it isn't punk.;)
I tell em that it isn't punk, wait for the red face and just as they're about to snap I tell em that nofx is the nickelback of punk.
BOOM!!!!!! their head explodes.....lol

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you haven't already, you've GOT to listen to this recording of Lou Reed hearing the Ramones for the first time. The audio's inside this excellent NY Times article - http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/nyregion/iggy-lou-joey-and-danny.html?referrer= (hope this mobile link works for non-mobile people). I listen to the VU and I guess what's considered proto-punk more than the Ramones, but I love hearing his superlatives. So many artists, even some of the great ones, begrudge the new kids coming up behind them out of insecurity. Reed was the polar opposite of all that. So fucking cool.

Last edited:

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone - Sleater-Kinney

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Getting into game mode...

I Wanna Sleep in Your Arms - The Modern Lovers

Okay, I'll stop thread-merging...

Looking for an apropos tapatalk emoji to add to that, I've gotta wonder, who uses these - ?? And I could go on with a bunch more. But they don't have lots of the more useful emoticons I've seen elsewhere. A funny little app this is.

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Romances don't unfold the way they do in the movies.

Dental Hygienist - Unbunny

Under fluorescent lights that flicker and hiss, there's a dental hygienist with a limp and a lisp, and she's scraping at the teeth in the mouth of a businessman; but her mind's not in it, it's somewhere else, and her eyes move across to the models of teeth on the shelf, past the charts and the medical gels to the window and the people outside. On her way home from work, she'll be standing in line; she'll put the register tape in the bag with the wine and the TV dinner; it's a lonely winter and a long walk home from here. He's the manager's assistant at the Kinko's downtown, not the one in the mall, but the one by the video store; that's where she's seen him before, but she doesn't remember his name. He puts his hands in his pockets when he sees her smile; she pulls her grocery cart to a stop by the potato chip aisle - haven't seen you around in a while - guess I've been laying low. He offers a ride, and she says ok; he's got a yellow chevette, she gets in, he lets the radio play; it's a song she heard earlier today, and she's tapping her knees to the rhythm of the wiper blades.

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Half Right - Heatmiser

File under: shit I really shouldn't listen to so much...

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You Can Close Your Eyes - Linda Ronstadt

File under: shower songs

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hah - I just spent a while listening to my "Greg Giraldo/The Minutemen Radio" Pandora station before I logged back into the forum earlier tonight. Let's see...last song up was this -

Ex Lion Tamer - Wire

Last edited:

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's sure to be a rollicking good time, bondo! Have a BLAST, and maybe come back to tell us about it. I always love vicarious thrills when it comes to live shows.
It was the most enthusiastic and energetic show I've seen in years!

I haven't forgotten Adrienne, i tried to take pics but mine came out poor due to trying to hold a jacket and beer while also trying to hold my wallet case open and hit the shutter when there wasn't a beam of light in my face.....
I have a half a dozen friends sharing pics and vid though so as soon as I get em I'll post em.

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It was the most enthusiastic and energetic show I've seen in years!

That's fantastic! There's just NOTHING in the world like a great live show! I always check YT for videos from shows I've gone to - huge win on those rare occasions people have posted them.

Eels - Flyswatter, El Rey Theatre, 2008

^^During this song, my friend got stupid drunk (she hadn't had more than a sip of booze in her life before that night) and started a pretty major brawl at the El Rey (she claimed the girl behind her kept pushing her). Felt like we were in a movie the way it sorta snowballed. Probably not something that happens at too many Eels shows... Ah, memories.

Adrienne

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Only Living Boy In New York - Simon & Garfunkel

Can't think of another platonic love song that tops this one.

VU Sponsors