Become a Patron!

Vaping Underground PIF Box ~ LIVE & IN PROGRESS~

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mal wants to try rdas. So he needs all your great tips and hints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok no prob, kanthal a1 is the easiest to start with ur gonna want to start with either 26 or 24gauge any smaller wire it starts to get springy when wrapping. I use a 2mm precsion screwdriver to wrap on basically hold 1 end of the wire make ur wraps tight and snug against eachother ull want to take into account ohms law when figureing out what ohm u want but as geauxst said start with .5 ohms once u have ur first coil wrapped get it in the rda keep the coil close to center between the posts and the bell cap of the rda repeat the process for tue second coil making sure that their as close to identical as possible with how their positioned 26g and smaller wire u dont want to tighten the screws all the way just till the legs on the opposite side of the post r at a 45° angle or ull snap the coil leads after their both matched at tightened snip the leads off as close to the post as possible then take what tool u used to wrap ur coil reinsert it into tye coil and push the coil so its centered upto the middle (+) post. Next step is to fire the coils without wick to sdjust them basically u want to get yhe coils firing from tye center and working out to do so fire the coils which ever 1 starts turning red first squeeze with tweezers after releasing the button continue this back and forth till their both firing at the same time starting at the center of the coil after adjusted take ur cotton and insert enough so that theres resistance on the coil but not moving the coil as u pull it through clip the excess leaving enough to reach the bottom of the juice well tuck the ends into the juice well juice it all up and ur ready to go
I was just about to say that too lol.. I'll be a first time builder soon

MOMABEAR

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok no prob, kanthal a1 is the easiest to start with ur gonna want to start with either 26 or 24gauge any smaller wire it starts to get springy when wrapping. I use a 2mm precsion screwdriver to wrap on basically hold 1 end of the wire make ur wraps tight and snug against eachother ull want to take into account ohms law when figureing out what ohm u want but as geauxst said start with .5 ohms once u have ur first coil wrapped get it in the rda keep the coil close to center between the posts and the bell cap of the rda repeat the process for tue second coil making sure that their as close to identical as possible with how their positioned 26g and smaller wire u dont want to tighten the screws all the way just till the legs on the opposite side of the post r at a 45° angle or ull snap the coil leads after their both matched at tightened snip the leads off as close to the post as possible then take what tool u used to wrap ur coil reinsert it into tye coil and push the coil so its centered upto the middle (+) post. Next step is to fire the coils without wick to sdjust them basically u want to get yhe coils firing from tye center and working out to do so fire the coils which ever 1 starts turning red first squeeze with tweezers after releasing the button continue this back and forth till their both firing at the same time starting at the center of the coil after adjusted take ur cotton and insert enough so that theres resistance on the coil but not moving the coil as u pull it through clip the excess leaving enough to reach the bottom of the juice well tuck the ends into the juice well juice it all up and ur ready to go
Thank you Otto awesome info!!

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just about to say that too lol.. I'll be a first time builder soon

I need some good tips for first time rda builder please...

YouTube has a lot of good coil building tutorials. However, don't watch those for your coils... only technique. Micro coils are not for beginners. Definitely avoid fancy coils. I recommend spaced coils...

Gather up your tools and marerials: a set of precision screwdriver ($3 at Walmart), some ORGANIC cotton balls ($4 at Walgreens) or the Japanese Organic that probably came with an RDA or RTA, or some 100% rayon ($15 or so from Sally's Beauty for more than you'll use in the next decade), a pair of tweezers (don't bother with the ceramic tip at first, but don't grip the coils and fire at the same time), flush cutters ($5 at Walmart), needle nose pliers ($3 at Walmart), an Ohm meter ($20 at most B&Ms or a little less online) if you're building for a mech. If you're building on a regulated device, it can act as an Ohm meter, but don't fire (lock or power off) while you build.

Wrap 6 times around the 2.4 mm with 28 gauge kanrhal and make the coils a little spaced out, but make the spaces even. A single coil like this will be around 1.0 Ohm. A dual coil will be .53 Ohms. Use an app or calculator to figure. Once built, measure and test fire. The coils need to be glowing evenly from the center out.

Wick it. You want the cotton to be snug or the rayon to be tight. Drip a little on it, let it soak in, and test fire again to see the pretty, pretty vapors.

Saturate the wick, put the top cap back on, and vape!

Mal the Mello King

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And I thought the only coils that should be spaced are the temp control ones?

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spaced coils will he more difficult for a new builder when it comes to wicking to much wick the coil is alot easier to mess up and definitely dont want to little wicking material

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rayon is excellent. It's about all I use anymore. Cheaper than cotton, wicks better, shorter break in, rinses clean.

Spaced coils are the only coils typically used in TC. That's because they don't develop hot spots. That's also why I recommend them for beginners.

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So when they start looking like that then they should be replaced?

No u can remove the wick and fire the mod burning the gunk off the coils let it cool take the rda off the mod rinse it with water if u want, dry it all off rewick and ur good to go, im ocd and rather build fresh coils once it starts gunking up

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rayon is excellent. It's about all I use anymore. Cheaper than cotton, wicks better, shorter break in, rinses clean.

Spaced coils are the only coils typically used in TC. That's because they don't develop hot spots. That's also why I recommend them for beginners.
Ya all i use is rayon much more of a pure taste. Spaced coils is essential in tc but a beginner shouldnt start out trying tc coil builds "baby steps" kanthal contact coils easiest in the world

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spaced coils will he more difficult for a new builder when it comes to wicking to much wick the coil is alot easier to mess up and definitely dont want to little wicking material
As you're wicking, the coils might collapse a bit. I put the point of my smallest screwdriver between the compacted coils and give it a slight twist to open them back up.

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohhhhhh ok this is all highly informative

If u use rayon as a wicking material ull need to use enough rayon that u have to spin it while inserting through the coil, rayon collapses on itself a little as its wetted where organic cotton puffs up also rayon is a extremely pure fiber so its important to make sure ur hands r very clean and u only handle the tips of the material that will be cut off or ull actually be able to taste a hint of ur body oil for a day or 2

Mal the Mello King

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's just a matter of heating, "strumming" and pinching until the hot spots go away though with non spaced coils?

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's just a matter of heating, "strumming" and pinching until the hot spots go away though with non spaced coils?

Ya with contact coils u pinch to eliminate the hot spots and get both coils firing evenly if any hot or dead spots still exist the u can lightly strum across the coil with ur tweezers and itll fix it

Mal the Mello King

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's a bit outside the budget lol but I'll look at it

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya rayon is way better then organic cotton. And i personally wouldnt use cotton balls ud want to bleach rinse dry and pull the fibers to get it where u can effectivly insert through the coils without creating no wick issues

Geauxst

A Banished Ghost of the Past
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya rayon is way better then organic cotton. And i personally wouldnt use cotton balls ud want to bleach rinse dry and pull the fibers to get it where u can effectivly insert through the coils without creating no wick issues
Yeah I did that for while once I tried rayon I was like way did ever use anything else

Sent from a Ghost town

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Organic cotton ur looking at about $15 for a months supply after its shipped to u rayon is between $11-15 at ur local sallys beauty supply and is literatly a lifetime supply

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I did that for while once I tried rayon I was like way did ever use anything else

Sent from a Ghost town
I use to use organic Japanese cotton then i switched to rayon was at a buddies house 1 day doing flavor testings and forgot some rayon so i slapped some of his organic cotton in there and all i could taste was cotton leaf fuckin foul

otto85

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rayon is really awesome stuff like i said it collapses a little so u want enough to where u need to twist it while inserting it into the coil or ull have a hot spot and itll burn the wick but firing ur mod after its wicked and soaked will show u if theres that issues thats y us pros do that (not to see the perty vapor)

VU Sponsors