Become a Patron!

TOTALLY discouraged with building

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
Once again, I turn to the vaping underground community for help.
So, I decided it's time to learn building. I started with the RBA that came with my Kagertech topbox mini kit. It already came with a nifty coil pre-installed. Wicked it up, and voila! NASTY burnt taste. Rewicked and got a few decent hits, after which the coil wire itself burnt up.
But, NP, the kit comes with a second coil. Struggled to get that sucker to sit right, wicked it up and, soaked it like a wet T-shirt contestant.....burnt taste. Took it apart, rewicked, working great....for 10 minutes. After that, the mod kept asking me if I had a new coil every time I hit the fire button. Said yes, said no, removed & reinstalled battery, turned it off, then on, said yes, said no.....I get ONE hit before it flashes .99 ohms.
The manual lists the RBA coil as SS, so mode isn't the issue.
Anybody have a clue?

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure the coil wire isn't extending past the screw and touching the chamber, you have to trim the wire very tight on the rba.

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well what you describe isn't building. You use their supplied coils and all you are doing is wicking them, with bad results. Building is when you make your own hand-wound coils and hand rolled wicks, mount them, test them and have a method to get good results consistently. I can't speak to what your regulated mod is doing though, I've never used anything but mechs, and never used anyone else's coils, for reasons your post justifies.

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, I decided it's time to learn building. I started with the RBA that came with my Kagertech topbox mini kit. It already came with a nifty coil pre-installed. Wicked it up, and voila! NASTY burnt taste. Rewicked and got a few decent hits, after which the coil wire itself burnt up.
But, NP, the kit comes with a second coil. Struggled to get that sucker to sit right, wicked it up and, soaked it like a wet T-shirt contestant.....burnt taste. Took it apart, rewicked, working great....for 10 minutes. After that, the mod kept asking me if I had a new coil every time I hit the fire button. Said yes, said no, removed & reinstalled battery, turned it off, then on, said yes, said no.....I get ONE hit before it flashes .99 ohms.
Anybody have a clue?
did you dry fire the coil prior to wicking to look for and work out any hot spots? Hot spots are created by micro shorts between one wrap and the next. They can cause poor performance like you are describing. After the legs of the coil are trapped snugly in the posts, fire to check...if it doesn't glow evenly from the inside out, poke, prod, squeeze etc....and test, test, retest, untill it does.

after the coil cools down from that, wick......wick (if cotton, should be tight enough to have a slight resistance when pulling it through the coil, but not so tight that the coil deforms, or mod tips over. For most RDA's, the tails need only be long enough to just touch the deck inside the juice well of the atty....too much cotton in the coil will cause dry hits (cotton expands when wet...so the wick gets choked off)....too long of tails will impede the airflow under/around the coil. When in t/c mode (ss is a tc mode, if you are using that...but ss coils can be used in regular vw mode, if doing so, ignore this :p ), you need to make sure the coil has cooled down to room temperature.....it is at this temp you answer "yes" to the new coil question, for this is how the mod calibrates itself to operate at the correct temp setting. If you answer yes while the coil is still warm....bam, dry hit city.

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
did you dry fire the coil prior to wicking to look for and work out any hot spots? Hot spots are created by micro shorts between one wrap and the next. They can cause poor performance like you are describing. After the legs of the coil are trapped snugly in the posts, fire to check...if it doesn't glow evenly from the inside out, poke, prod, squeeze etc....and test, test, retest, untill it does.

after the coil cools down from that, wick......wick (if cotton, should be tight enough to have a slight resistance when pulling it through the coil, but not so tight that the coil deforms, or mod tips over. For most RDA's, the tails need only be long enough to just touch the deck inside the juice well of the atty....too much cotton in the coil will cause dry hits (cotton expands when wet...so the wick gets choked off)....too long of tails will impede the airflow under/around the coil. When in t/c mode (ss is a tc mode, if you are using that...but ss coils can be used in regular vw mode, if doing so, ignore this :p ), you need to make sure the coil has cooled down to room temperature.....it is at this temp you answer "yes" to the new coil question, for this is how the mod calibrates itself to operate at the correct temp setting. If you answer yes while the coil is still warm....bam, dry hit city.

USMCotaku-
Oh, this might be helpful. I'm sure I didn't wait long enough between tries & coil was probably still too warm. Yes, I tested dry before wicking, no issues I could see. After I removed the final goopy cotton, I retested dry and the mod still read 0.99 ohms, but maybe that would have corrected itself if I'd have waited longer. Does that mean that one ought not expect to chain vape any RBA?

two2wheels

Member For 4 Years
Well what you describe isn't building. You use their supplied coils and all you are doing is wicking them, with bad results. Building is when you make your own hand-wound coils and hand rolled wicks, mount them, test them and have a method to get good results consistently. I can't speak to what your regulated mod is doing though, I've never used anything but mechs, and never used anyone else's coils, for reasons your post justifies.
Yes, just getting started with the process of building, have bought wire and cotton and a few tools. I used the wire coils already provided attempting to get a feel for wicking. It's my first try, guided by YT videos on the subject. My discouragement is that I have been unsuccessful with the simplest part, and would like help before I go further. Do you have an issue with that?

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes, just getting started with the process of building, have bought wire and cotton and a few tools. I used the wire coils already provided attempting to get a feel for wicking. It's my first try, guided by YT videos on the subject. My discouragement is that I have been unsuccessful with the simplest part, and would like help before I go further. Do you have an issue with that?

I don't have any issue with your efforts to get a good vape, just with your calling it "building" which it's not. I've been building gennies for 4 years now, and it's not about using someone else's pre-made coils, stuffing cotton in them, and getting bad results.

In my experience building is hand winding your own coils, making your own wicks, installing them right, and getting good results because you know what you are doing. That's NOT what you posted about doing.

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
USMCotaku-
Oh, this might be helpful. I'm sure I didn't wait long enough between tries & coil was probably still too warm. Yes, I tested dry before wicking, no issues I could see. After I removed the final goopy cotton, I retested dry and the mod still read 0.99 ohms, but maybe that would have corrected itself if I'd have waited longer. Does that mean that one ought not expect to chain vape any RBA?

No, once the correct cold temp resistance is locked in, then you generally don't have to worry about it, you will just notice the vape get anemic if the cotton wick gets dry. Only thing that should alter that is a change in resistance...could be caused by a short, could be caused by one of the rda's post screws getting loose on you.

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No, once the correct cold temp resistance is locked in, then you generally don't have to worry about it, you will just notice the vape get anemic if the cotton wick gets dry. Only thing that should alter that is a change in resistance...could be caused by a short, could be caused by one of the rda's post screws getting loose on you.

Yeah... never had such problems with mesh. Just sayin...

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
why are you splitting hairs with what he calls it? How about you either contribute with help, or go away if his terminology bothers you so much?
FYI, he IS "building" his rda....he just isn't "wrapping" a coil, so your comments are both unwarranted and misguided.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
why are you splitting hairs with what he calls it? How about you either contribute with help, or go away if his terminology bothers you so much?
FYI, he IS "building" his rda....he just isn't "wrapping" a coil, so your comments are both unwarranted and misguided.

VERY good point

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Anybody have a clue?

I was in your situation a year ago. here's my best advice. Those tanks with the RBA heads are a bitch to build and wick for a beginner. If I were you I would get a simple single coil tank like a Merlin Mini. Buy some premade coils and install them and wick them yourself. Once you get comfortable doing that you'll be making you own coils and building and wicking every type of tank you can think of. I recommend the Merlin Mini because it's easy to build and and wick. It also comes with a single and dual coil deck so as your skill increases this tank can grow with you.

Last edited:

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Because he's not building. Sorry if that bothers you and you prefer to change the language in support of your position like a Leftist but he's not building. He's using pre-made coils instead of winding them himself. That's not building. That's a shortcut, and you know it... or at least you should!

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Because he's not building. Sorry if that bothers you and you prefer to change the language in support of your position like a Leftist but he's not building. He's using pre-made coils instead of winding them himself. That's not building. That's a shortcut, and you know it, and misguided is what you do.

Acting snooty does not help folks in the new builders corner

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I started building pretty much almost out of the gate.
- I spent 2 weeks with stock coils and realized it wasn't for me.
First I bought premade round coils from fasttech while I learned the best way for me to build. One man's method is another man's agrvation.
Even now, 4 years into the hobby, when I want an exotic coil, I buy them. I wrap my own round wire builds but normally buy clapton, fused clapton and alien wire in the premade spools.

Don't let anyone tell you it's wrong. You're not smoking and that is all that matters. That's why we are all here.

To the point that at hand, USMCataku is dead on. Make sure both the mod and coil are at room temperature together, then pair them.

Good luck and happy Vaping.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
back to the issue.....if your coil was still hot when you answered yes on the new coil question (most mods will prompt you with that question when the coil resistance is too far out of expected range from the initial setup), then fired it, you likely burned out the coil by the mod applying too much wattage trying to reach the "correct" temp. that would explain why you were getting strange ohm readings afterward

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started building pretty much almost out of the gate.
- I spent 2 weeks with stock coils and realized it wasn't for me.
First I bought premade round coils from fasttech while I learned the best way for me to build. One man's method is another man's agrvation.
Even now, 4 years into the hobby, when I want an exotic coil, I buy them. I wrap my own round wire builds but normally buy clapton, fused clapton and alien wire in the premade spools.

Don't let anyone tell you it's wrong. You're not smoking and that is all that matters. That's why we are all here.

To the point that at hand, USMCataku is dead on. Make sure both the mod and coil are at room temperature together, then pair them.

Good luck and happy Vaping.

Using someone else's coils makes him less knowledgeable about his equipment than he needs to be, hence his dilemma and frustration. If you are going to build you need to know every aspect of it and do it all yourself, from winding coils by hand and wicking with appropriate materials. Shortcuts yield only frustrations and posts like the first in the thread. In my experience you need to work it hard from the start to get it right in coiling, wicking and resistance. It's when you include someone else's work in your vape that you get problems. Do your own work and you KNOW what you have.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
From a different POV, I've seen many people say that they've tried building, and it isn't for them. On the other hand, I've seen people say that they prefer a hand wrapped, or exotic type coil, but simply cannot, due to arthritis, carpal tunnel, situations such as those, for example.

Trying out a coil that came with the purchase of a tank, having to wick it yourself, is certainly one way to find if it something you think you might be able to get the hang of. On that note, tanks that do come with a pre-wrapped coil, made of SS or Kanthal, or even Nickel, come with just that, not mesh. For the OP, this was their first foray into the world of what it's like in one aspect of what building requires. In this case, that's wicking.

The worst part of this, the OP disappeared while all the rest of the conversation went on. 2 wheels, don't give up, there is some very useful info in this thread for you.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
back to the issue.....if your coil was still hot when you answered yes on the new coil question (most mods will prompt you with that question when the coil resistance is too far out of expected range from the initial setup), then fired it, you likely burned out the coil by the mod applying too much wattage trying to reach the "correct" temp. that would explain why you were getting strange ohm readings afterward
I've had the high ohm reading too, from over tightening legs under the screws, and the leg broke off.

Just grab each leg with tweezers and if one is loose, then you know the problem quick like.

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

That sounds about right. I have a Kangertech top box. I recall after wicking the RBA. Filling the chamber with juice. I turned the wattage down to about 10-15 w cause I honestly didn't know how this would turn out. It was my first step into building and wicking. I kinda lucked out cause it worked out good.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Using someone else's coils makes him less knowledgeable about his equipment than he needs to be, hence his dilemma and frustration. If you are going to build you need to know every aspect of it and do it all yourself, from winding coils by hand and wicking with appropriate materials. Shortcuts yield only frustrations and posts like the first in the thread. In my experience you need to work it hard from the start to get it right in coiling, wicking and resistance. It's when you include someone else's work in your vape that you get problems. Do your own work and you KNOW what you have.
Let it go... Everyone learns differently.

It's a vocabulary issue.
I'm a card carrying member if the IEEE and I use pre-bought coils for exotics.
It's still building the atomizer, just not wrapping the coil.
We are here to HELP each other not belittle them.
If you have an issue with vocabulary, I'm sure there is a phonics or vocabulary forum you can check out.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Everyone gotta start somewhere 2 wheels I started as you did ...building could encompass assembly rather than creation or both we often use the term rebuilding your tank for instance no one batters an eyelid at that

1) When you insert coils into the post and secure them try not to yank them about too hard you end up deforming them...adjusting height and levelling are ok, as is pinching them and strumming when heating...it also helps when mounting if you have a screw driver of the same diameter to hold coils in place

2) clip any excess beyond the post once you're
happy with position in 1

3) do a dry burn (pulse gently at no more than 20w) before you wick, check coil is heating nicely, no hot spots, if you see any stop the fire button gently press with your ceramic tweezers, strum, or sometimes try inserting a screwdriver (same diameter as the coil) and gently move them a little, do this until you see no more and it glows evenly from the middle outwards. If using a dual coil both should be glowing at the same time

4) wicking is key in the whole process to be honest Too much it won't wick quick enough, too little you'll end up with leaks...try not to have too much either side of the coil, and when pulling it through the coil you want some resistence but not enough it starts moving your coil ...wicking varies from tank to tank I would say seek out a video for your exact tank unless someone on here has a guide for it ...wicking comes easy for some, not for others, im in the latter ;) however I advise you take a pic top down after each wick until you get it down to an art ...once you nail it on that tank you have a record for next time exactly what length to cut it at etc this is also helpful when changing tanks often

Oh one last thing also try not to leave cotton over the legs of the coil personally I find this leads to burning

5) juice the cotton, give it a pulse if you want just for luck lol and "re build" your tank

6) start at a much lower wattage than your target vape work towards it, this helps break in the new cotton as well ...also it's highly unlikely you'll be reaching the same wattage that you do on the premade coils at least I've found this so far :) bear that in mind so you don't burn your cotton

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Let it go... Everyone learns differently.

It's a vocabulary issue.
I'm a card carrying member if the IEEE and I use pre-bought coils for exotics.
It's still building the atomizer, just not wrapping the coil.
We are here to HELP each other not belittle them.
If you have an issue with vocabulary, I'm sure there is a phonics or vocabulary forum you can check out.

It's only a vocabulary issue if you are Leftist who wants to cloud and obscure the question at hand by changing the language used to suit your political agenda, and that's what you are. Stuff your Leftist rhetoric buddy!

By the way, it pleases me to extend to you a warm and cordial welcome to my ignore list. Best of luck to you!

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's only a vocabulary issue if you are Leftist who wants to cloud and obscure the question at hand by changing the language used to suit your agenda, and that's what you are. Stuff your Leftist rhetoric buddy!

By the way, it pleases me to extend to you a warm and cordial welcome to my ignore list. Best of luck to you!
Add me to you list too.

You are acting like a dickhead. STFU and move on.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It's only a vocabulary issue if you are Leftist who wants to cloud and obscure the question at hand by changing the language used to suit your political agenda, and that's what you are. Stuff your Leftist rhetoric buddy!

WoW you and @pulsevape will be good friends.
Vaping decides political opinion.

Think of it as my way of creating jobs.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WoW you and @pulsevape will be good friends.
Vaping decides political opinion.

Think of it as my way of creating jobs.

Hey A-Lewis, you gotta cut birdbrain some slack he hasn't put anything in his body that hasn't come out of a box in 23 years....that's why the last pair of speedos he owned disappeared up his ass in highschool.

206e81698789aa02288cefa86728b183.jpg

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I can always count on you to make my point for me.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Wow. Joined on Friday, and already winning over people in droves.
might as well add the whole forum to that ignore list.
She'll end up in the President thread with the other 5 people that are stuck in 2 dimensional thought.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

You forgot the stare ... hold on I'll add it for you
Stare-What-GIF.gif

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
She'll end up in the President thread with the other 5 people that are stuck in 2 dimensional thought.

better than you looking for Nazis under your bed and reading classic comics for historical refrences.

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Add me to you list too.

You are acting like a dickhead. STFU and move on.

Thank you for showing yourself as a Leftist. Welcome to my ignore list :) I also added the Leftists who liked your post. I would have added that Leftist moderator too, but that option was made unavailable to me in true Leftist forum fashion because Leftists are all about controlling the discourse online. I'll probably leave this forum because it's controlled by stinking Leftists as I've left so many others in the last couple years.

Burn in Hell you stinking Leftists!

Last edited:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Because he's not building. Sorry if that bothers you and you prefer to change the language in support of your position like a Leftist but he's not building. He's using pre-made coils instead of winding them himself. That's not building. That's a shortcut, and you know it... or at least you should!

hitler-snickers-ad_c_1517129.jpg

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think next time
If you create a thread
Put
ConservativeS only
Or LIBERALS ONLY...
GEEZUZ WISE‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A_Lewis

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think next time
If you create a thread
Put
ConservativeS only
Or LIBERALS ONLY...
GEEZUZ WISE‍♂️

Doesn't matter the Leftists rule all the online forums. They planned it that way to shut us all up. Post conservatives only and they will delete your posts. I expect to be banned shortly as we have all seen the hate and violence of the Left online and in the media.

Last edited:

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doesn't matter the Leftists rule all the online forums. They planned it that way to shut us all up.

Ecf is a communist forum.. you might wanna check that place out... they check word per word over there...
You want to talk politics? There's a huge thread created for THE RIGHT... check it out it'll make you feel better..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors