Become a Patron!

Too much/too little?

Hello - Trying to figure out what's happening here. Hopefully you can tell me what's going on. So I have an original Nord. I bought new coils yesterday. Coil is a mesh, and I think it says 6 ohms. Does that make sense? The juice is nic salts - it's made by Coastal Clouds. 50%....the guy said it comes in 50 and 35...he said 35 is good for most people but with me being a long time (35 yrs) smoker, 50 may be better. So that's what I have. I notice if I take a deep pull on it, it's okay, tastes good, lots of vapor, but I can't catch my breath for about 10 seconds after that. I am okay if I just take small puffs usually. So what do you think is happening? I am not sure about the pg/vg on this juice...I don't have it with me at the moment. Too much of one or the other (pg /vg)? Too strong?

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
50 MG, or even 35 on a .6 ohm coil would pretty harsh for most. The 1.4 for would be more suitable. All the salt nic commercial juice I've seen is 50/50 PG/VG.
Screenshot_20230621_170600_Chrome~2.jpg

I thought I had read somewhere that a mesh coil was a good thing, especially running salt nic in this particular one. Looks like in the 1.4 ohm, it's only ceramic and regular. If I were to go the 1.4 route, which would be better/last longer?

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In general most folks use 1 ohm or higher for high nic salts. Otherwise it's just harsh. Sweet spot for me 1 or 1.2 ohm with 30 or 35 salt nic or .8 ohm with 12 mg freebase. But it's all subjective. If it's taking your breathe away, sounds too harsh to me.

Mesh pod coils will produce better flavor. Nord coils are kind of old now. There are better out there.

When I had a nord I used the .8 with 12 mg. Ceramic can be good but I think it was a swing and a miss for Smok on the nord, I never tried either of the 1.4 but the ceramic was panned online as not working well.
Hope this helps

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
How long a coil last depends on some variants, variants between individual vaping styles and the juice used.

Like mentioned, .6 is a DL resistance. Salts is for MTL only. Lower than1.0 - .9, like .8, .7, .6 is in dl/rdl territory.

Already typed it, so here it is lol

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
IMO, what generally happens with a failed vaping for smoking cessation, is the type of draw and nic level.

With that Nord/.6 are you MTL or DL/RDL? MTL won't work like that, and DL/RDL it's the wrong nic level.

I suggest telling us if you are or want MTL or DL. So you can move forward with some good guidance on device and mg. Do you know? Are you vaping like you'd puff a cig, or DL like one of those left handed cigarettes o_O lol

The vape person you spoke to at least tried to come up with something. But some with a little knowledge can step out of bounds, ie be dangerous. If I smoked 2 pks Marlboro Light a day for 5 years, and Bob smoked 2 pks Marlboro Light a day for 40 yrs, why does Bob need a higher nic juice than me?

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I notice if I take a deep pull on it, it's okay, tastes good, lots of vapor
While we can take a big pull with MTL, a deep one sounds Direct lung, which fits better with the resulting symptom.

Thanks guys! I don't think I've ever been able to do any kind of MTL with a vape. There's not enough resistance coming from the vape to where you have to "pull" like you would on a cigarette, where you pull into your mouth and then suck it into your lungs. That's what you guys mean, right? DL I am assuming is direct lung and yeah that's what I am doing and always have done when I vape. I don't know if it's characteristic of a smoker, but I seem to find myself taking a long draw...like 5 seconds all going straight to lung. I dunno...maybe I've got it all wrong. So, that being said...unlike Bob...I'm a red 100's guy. 1/2 pack per day. Sounds like I need to get a 1.4 coil if nothing else. I am using the Nord because it's something I have. I kinda have to prove to the wife that I'm going to stick with it before she'll let me spend $100+ on new vape stuff. We've been down that road before. I am thinking if I stick with it (and I will) for let's say the next couple of weeks, then I really can have you guys guide me in the right direction for what I'm gonna need....hell you probably already know with the info I've given ya.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll be back later to help..
Just to clarify... nic level can be Mg/ml or % (5 % = 50 mg... that is very strong) Nic "salts" just tend to make stronger nic less harsh (which is great if you want stronger nic levels (and this can be good when first quitting cigs) It really depends on the device you are using (more specifically the power... watts you are using) and your style of vaping. BTW, small puffs (with a pause in between) is better (for you and the coils) I honestly feel 3,5 % (35 mg) might be a better choice (still quite strong but 5 % can be too much)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just read your new post. Hey, 5% (50 mg) isn't for DL (or what I call restricted DL... less airflow) and you don't want MTL (no problem... even in my early MTL days, I wanted "loose" MTL) And there is no rule that says you can't do restricted DL and still do the mouth to lung method of draw. It gives the vapor a moment to cool before hitting your lungs. It's all up to you what works, but no way on using 5% (50mg) for DL
Whatever gets you off cigs is fine with me... just don't blow your head off ;) If your device( I'm somewhat familiar with nord but don't have time right now) has adjustable power (watts) try lower power (you also get a cooler vapor)

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys! I don't think I've ever been able to do any kind of MTL with a vape. There's not enough resistance coming from the vape to where you have to "pull" like you would on a cigarette, where you pull into your mouth and then suck it into your lungs. That's what you guys mean, right? DL I am assuming is direct lung and yeah that's what I am doing and always have done when I vape. I don't know if it's characteristic of a smoker, but I seem to find myself taking a long draw...like 5 seconds all going straight to lung. I dunno...maybe I've got it all wrong. So, that being said...unlike Bob...I'm a red 100's guy. 1/2 pack per day. Sounds like I need to get a 1.4 coil if nothing else. I am using the Nord because it's something I have. I kinda have to prove to the wife that I'm going to stick with it before she'll let me spend $100+ on new vape stuff. We've been down that road before. I am thinking if I stick with it (and I will) for let's say the next couple of weeks, then I really can have you guys guide me in the right direction for what I'm gonna need....hell you probably already know with the info I've given ya.
Your description of MTL vs DL is accurate. If you're using the original Nord 15 watt device it was designed for MTL. There is like 5 versions... Any DL hit from it must be very restricted, even tighter than what most would consider restricted direct lung, RDL.

You have a device, coil, eliquid, vaping style mismatch in my opinion. I wouldn't be able to breathe after trying to pull 50mg through that.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And there is no rule that says you can't do restricted DL and still do the mouth to lung method of draw.
Good point. There are no rules. Some use kind of a combination method of the two. It's whatever works for you.

Sounds like I need to get a 1.4 coil if nothing else.
Agree, these will have a tighter draw and you should get more of a proper MTL to puff on.

Last edited:
Looking like I should probably stay with nic salts, but at 3.5% and not 5%. Not too many options on the Nord. No settings unless there are some fancy ways to press the button to change wattage but I don't think so. Yes I am sure it is the original Nord 15 watt. They had just come out when I bought it. Back around 2019 or 2020 or something like that. It was hardly used, though. Just stuck in a drawer. So..synopsis for now with the nord.... 3.5% nic salts, and 1.4 ohm coil. Got it!
THANK YOU for all your help!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Looking like I should probably stay with nic salts, but at 3.5% and not 5%. Not too many options on the Nord. No settings unless there are some fancy ways to press the button to change wattage but I don't think so. Yes I am sure it is the original Nord 15 watt. They had just come out when I bought it. Back around 2019 or 2020 or something like that. It was hardly used, though. Just stuck in a drawer. So..synopsis for now with the nord.... 3.5% nic salts, and 1.4 ohm coil. Got it!
THANK YOU for all your help!
I'm thinking the opposite. You've been DL from beginning and are trying to DL on wrong device and with wrong(nic salt) juice. That's the issue. So to change that, don't change to 1.4 for MTL, only to use same device/same nic. It won't be satisfying because your already trying to take deep draws for more vapor. Go towards the deeper than MTL draw like your craving and change the device/juice to get there.

4-ish$ a day for cigs = 100$ every 25 days. 100 is less than a month so a device that works pays for itself quickly. You've been trying with that 1 device from yrs ago. It's worth the investment and most likely the only way to succeed.

How the air is directed, and how much, is what determines if a device is MTL or DL. And coil selection of course, but it starts with correct airflow. W/o correct air flow for your style/wants as a vapor, the coil is useless. If you put 1.4 on that Nord w/nic salt, it will only function as a MTL.

I bet your running that pod at its full 15W? More air + more power = more vapor, and you won't have to take really long draws to be satisfied. You'll have to change to freebase nic.

I wouldn't throw more $ at this device and nc salts. It failed 1nce. Then a second time, predictably, because it's the wrong device. It will fail again.

To save some $ atm, get yourself a built in battery DL pod that will do 30/40 watts, w/adjustable airflow, maybe it will be compatible with nord coils you already have and with other brands of coils too. And some freebase juice. I strongly feel this is you. You've never vaped MTL.

The only thing close to correct in your current situation, is the .6 resistance.

Check out VooPoo's offerings.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Not saying you should like this one. Just an example.

Ejuice Connect. .6mg is probably too low and you'd vape a lot to satisfy, suggest 9 or 12 if you can find them. Free ship @ 75 so would be worth finding another 24 in product to save the 20 shipping.
1687425997828.png

If you can source your freebase locally:
This color with 5pk coils using code vde60 for 58 shipped

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looking like I should probably stay with nic salts, but at 3.5% and not 5%.
With the right coil I wouldn't worry about 35 vs 50. You can use the 50. Change one thing at a time. Good luck.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Any DL hit from it must be very restricted, even tighter than what most would consider restricted direct lung, RDL.
Sucking water through a blade of grass.

Fairly in agreement with @BobsHere & @Vape Fan, you're doing mismatch on style with the form.

Only chiming in to add for me a nice RDL vape puts me in mind of using a rush pipe like one uses for something other than tobacco. Yes, you take a finger off a hole to get the air rushing a cloud to you, but you take a long, lazy draw. There's no hurry, time will stop meaning anything soon enough. :)

Try not to listen to cats in such a state. Ah yeah, only a suggestion. Consider maybe trying out a decent RDA instead of a pod. Can suggest an Advken Goge & Damn Vapes Mongrel as decent examples. Eh, just a suggestion fwiw. *working Gray/Grey/Gr-eh Jedi magic to draw another to the Shady/Sha-dee Side* We got free cookies.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! The voopoo looks like a doable solution. The mod I had before...it was a SMOK but I don't remember the model...seemed to like to leak. I could have it sitting upright on my desk but if I would put it in my pocket, there was the risk (and it happened) of leaking. I really hope things have evolved and we can feel safe putting a mod in our pockets without leakage. That was one thing I do like about the Nord...because it's small..it's a pod..and works great...doesn't leak no matter what position it's in. I don't mind a full-size mod as long as it won't leak. Not sure about the batteries these days...but apparently they've gotten better. I have a friend that has a mod that she uses and she says she uses it a LOT....and still has plenty of battery to last a couple of days+. So that would be good too. Just another one of those worries about switching totally to vape and no cigs. "Aw shit! My battery's dead. NOW WTF do I do??"
And one more thing I wanted to mention. Using nic salt, which gives you more nic without being harsh. Do I stay that way? Reasoning for going to free base and will it work as well? Sorry..my post are very wordy...getting into TLDR territory! :)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I don't think I've ever been able to do any kind of MTL with a vape. There's not enough resistance coming from the vape to where you have to "pull" like you would on a cigarette, where you pull into your mouth and then suck it into your lungs. That's what you guys mean, right? DL I am assuming is direct lung and yeah that's what I am doing and always have done when I vape.
for now with the nord.... 3.5% nic salts, and 1.4 ohm coil.
:huh::rolleyes:

Here's a quandary. You've always been direct to lung, never MTL,,,but with your 35 nic salt MTL juice, with a .6 DL coil. So your going to change to a 1.4 coil in order to use the same nic salt, knowing that 1.4 will be MTL?
I, for one, am baffled~

I use a little less wattage than most, and I would run a .6 at about 22 watts for a Restricted DL, restricted means less airflow than a more full DL but still not MTL. Your nord is 15W max. Your using that .6 I'll bet at max 15W and still need to take long draws because you said so. That's because imo the .6 is underpowered for your craving. If you had the .6 in a 30-40-60w device, you'd get the vapor you've been wanting to get by using a bit more power.

But no one vapes nic salt like that, that's where freebase comes in because your getting more vapor so you reduce the amount of nic to counteract what your body absorbs,,,so you don't get nic sick/something like your experiencing. Most common freebase is 30%VG, VG is where some of the the throat hit comes from. For the vape your looking for, freebase is better- perfect actually.

Again, as meerly an example, that E60 kit has 8 diff coils from MTL 1.2 to sub ohm.15. That says it has a good range of airflow adjustment because .15/.20 requires more air than any coil listed for that device or any nord coil.

It's a balancing act. As I alluded to here:
IMO, what generally happens with a failed vaping for smoking cessation, is the type of draw and nic level.
resistance / airflow / power / nic type and what mg.

About running out of battery. It's solved by, if you have built in battery buy 2 and keep one charged, or get an external battery mod like a single 21700 regulated mod with a pair of great Samsung 50S so you can keep one charged.

Man or woman, does not live on 1 vape device only. What if something happens and you can't vape,,,, smoke? Uhhh - naw :)

How much does it cost? As much as it takes to never smoke another cigarette, however much that is. It shouldn't be negotiable:eek:
With help from members we should be able to get you down the right path the first time, w/o what in vaping terms would be considered a big expense.

Whoever told you that since you smoked for so long you need higher mg nic doesn't know what they are talking about. Like almost all vape shop employees. They want to sound knowledgeable, and what they think makes sense so they say it, but they really don't have a clue.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It sounded like you didn't want to buy another device or juice so the 1.4 would get you to something usable whether you are puffing it MTL or sucking it through a coffee stirrer, lol.
I started DL years ago and soon realized I needed a good throat hit like a cigarette to keep me off them. I added a MTL setup to my DL and have vaped both styles everyday since. About 75% DL and 25% MTL. Cannot do only one or the other, need both. DL for big flavor hits and MTL for a throat hit.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For the vape your looking for, freebase is better- perfect actually.
Yep, yep, yep.

Here's a decent mechanical squonking mod kit. Very good kit for ~$20 USD. Even the kits "stock" RDA is fairly decent. Yes, there is a bit of learning curve for mechanical mods, and squonking. Trust me, if this brain-damaged fool can "pick it up", anyone can. Besides, you're swimming in Vaping Underground, the asylum where the inmates run things. You'll have plenty of help.

Um, just never ask for Dave. "Dave is not here, man. He's never here, even if you see him standing behind the person you asked." Ah yeah, never ask me to be Frank. Weird things happen if I got to be Frank.

"Aw shit! My battery's dead. NOW WTF do I do??"

Pull out the spare battery you got fully charged, swap it into the mod, put the discharged battery back in the battery case, charge it later. Learn you can go maybe two to three, four days max on a fully charged 18650 battery, if you don't vape like a freight train barreling down the line. Also, ...

About running out of battery. It's solved by, if you have built in battery buy 2 and keep one charged, or get an external battery mod like a single 21700 regulated mod with a pair of great Samsung 50S so you can keep one charged.

Man or woman, does not live on 1 vape device only. What if something happens and you can't vape,,,, smoke? Uhhh - naw :)

Uh huh, ... "Preach it Reverend @Vape Fan, the other Ben."

And yes, I prefer to vape more than rub snuff, or smoke cigarettes. At times though will admit weakness, just have to rub snuff. But I'm using 18 mg per ml nicotine strength freebase juice, max vg. I am not a cloud chaser. I prefer the "texture" vg offers over pg. It's smooth yet lets my tongue "feel" flavors, even the subtle sweetness of unflavored. Veggie Glycerin is a sugar, after all.

I do not do 24 mg nicotine freebase. Ugh, yuck. It can give me head aches and flutter my heart just a tad, not a "fun" thing. And yep, I sub-ohm using 18 mg though most use 12/6/3 mg for that. I'm just wired up different. *shrugs*
Whoever told you that since you smoked for so long you need higher mg nic doesn't know what they are talking about. Like almost all vape shop employees. They want to sound knowledgeable, and what they think makes sense so they say it, but they really don't have a clue.

*nodding agreement*

And as far as gear goes, I can break it down pretty simple.

Mod - Your battery box, external or internal. Prefer external, meaning I can charge batteries and put them in the box.

Atomizer/Atty/Deck/RDA/RDTA - Coil housing where your juice is converted via heat to vapor.

That's pretty much vaping in a nutshell. You could use a sardine tin for a mod, a thimble for an atty. Nobody really needs anything all too fired fancy. Most of the bells & whistles are fads, trends. Although there are some genuine improvements, basic vaping is basic vaping, no escaping that.

Do agree we can get you on a good path what doesn't cost surrender of a testicle or ovary.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It sounded like you didn't want to buy another device or juice so the 1.4 would get you to something usable whether you are puffing it MTL or sucking it through a coffee stirrer, lol.
I started DL years ago and soon realized I needed a good throat hit like a cigarette to keep me off them. I added a MTL setup to my DL and have vaped both styles everyday since. About 75% DL and 25% MTL. Cannot do only one or the other, need both. DL for big flavor hits and MTL for a throat hit.

I "split the difference" and use airflow control to dial in a nice mellow restricted direct lung. Everybody finds what suits themselves. That's always kept me insane over vaping versus sane over "oh gee, it's a roll of paper stuffed with tobacco, you got all these choices too". Vaping lets me be, dare I say it, ... "An Individualist!" Haha eat that company commanders!

You guys are awesome. So many things I'd want to reply to. Funny shit! Okay so here's what happened yesterday. I forgot to fill my tank. And I work in a bigger city that's about 50 miles from home. So on my lunch break I picked a vape shop and went to get some more juice. Now this guy was more knowledgeable than the last guy. I got some 35% juice instead of 50%. And he did have a 1.4 ohm regular coil for the Nord so I got that too. I see the difference you guys were talking about. Not sure I like it. Think "sucking water through a blade of grass" or "sucking using a coffee stirrer" ...to quote a couple of you above. I think I heard from you guys or read somewhere that in this set up, the coil would be happier and perform better with a little more voltage..like 19v instead of 15v...which is what the Nord puts out and it's not adjustable. I think I like the 50% nic salt better. I know it was a lot, but sure really curbed my urge to smoke and even when I did, it's like there's just nothing there. But with the cigarette, I can feel the throat hit...so that does make sense as to maybe free base is better.
Again, the Nord is temporary. Maybe I could try the old coil...the .6 ohm...then it'd be a little more DTL than the 1.4. And use the 30% with that one...then won't make me lose my breath. Like I said...experimenting best I can with this very limited pod...only so much you can do. I'll get a real mod shortly. I'm learning so damn much just listening to y'all.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I think I heard from you guys or read somewhere that in this set up, the coil would be happier and perform better with a little more voltage..like 19v instead of 15v.
DING DING DING :)
Watts not volts, altho vaping can be by using voltage and not watts. When using a regulated mod (has wattage mode), when you push the fire button the voltage being used while firing will be on the screen.
I think I like the 50% nic salt better.
TBH, you don't really know what mg of nic you like right now. I mean, with that 1.4 you might like the nic%, but not that style of vape. I wouldn't get hung up on aiming for 50% nic salt. If you get more power for something like that .6 - it won't work with salts for anyone.

When you have a proper DL set up, using freebase because that's the only nic that can be used, you can adjust the throat hit a bit by using juice that has more vg, but mostly that proper DL setup - even with a standard 70/30 you will get the throat hit. The amount of freebase nic plays a role in throat hit too, but amount you use needs to be the amount needed to not crave a cigarette, and not an amount to achieve throat hit. With 70/30 and about 12mg freebase , if you still need more throat hit, use a lower resistance coil, like a .3-.4 instead of .6, and turn the wattage up. Can also close the airflow a bit and when the coil has less air moving across it, it will run warmer for more throat hit.

You really need a new device and try it with a midrange coil resistance, like .4 - .6 with 12mg freebase nic. If after achieving the vapor hit you want, If that throat hit, or nic mg isn't ideal, they can be adjusted.

Keep the nord as a backup.

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You really need a new device and try it with a midrange coil resistance, like .4 - .6 with 12mg freebase nic.
:rolleyes: huh ? DL with 12mg?
you can adjust the throat hit a bit by using juice that has more vg
Using more VG reduces throat hit, if that's what you're after...

I can't remember ever looking at a VF post and going huh? Maybe you just rolled out of bed? :giggle:

Other than a few outliers like MMM most people DL 3 or 6. I use 6 for nic intake and a bit of a throat hit along with big flavor. 3 is common with people who have vaped for a long time and are able to work intake levels lower.

12 is the common level for MTL. 18 used to be popular but devices have improved so it has fallen away for the most part.

@michaeljmt use the Nord as intended with the 1.4. Pull the vape in by creating a vacuum with your mouth like a cigarette. That's MTL. Use whatever juice gets your rocks off. You like salts at 50? Rock on
You want more throat hit try a 12 freebase.
You want a big DL pull with big clouds and flavor go to proper DL setup and use 6 freebase.

You will vape more with freebase than with the higher nic salts but that's not a bad thing.

Widely available commercial juice will be:
I always list as PG/VG but not all do.
Salt Nic 50/50 in 50, 35, 30, 25 depending on brand.
Freebase 30/70 mostly with some 20/80
Nic is 0, 3, 6.
12 is still out there but limited, mostly tobaccos in a 50/50 or 30/70 and very limited fruits in a 30/70.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Using more VG reduces throat hit, if that's what you're after...
Yeah. One of those. PG it is. IDK why it came out that way. Maybe because a lot was on my mind about this thread.

Much ado about salts when he's been DL his whole vaping life. Latest post saying he didn't like the MTL the 1.4 gave him, so he's still trying/suggesting to use the .6 w/salts on a higher powered setup. And that doens't work. Keeps hitting and missing and bouncing. Doesn't understand there's a process to find what works. And it's not saying - "ok whatever it is, its going to be nic salt". It doesn't even start w/juice. A person could choose the mod/atty/pod/whatever, then resistance/then figure out the nic mg.

You're right about the available varying mg. I started MTL, with 18/12 mix = 15mg. Then sub ohm stock coils at 12 and lowered it after a bit at a time to 9. W/ rebuildable - 8 then 6 pretty soon after. Its been 3 for some years now.

I've seen 3,6,12 here. There's others. Could 50/50 6&12 for 9. Or just find 9. Could also get 6 even, tho been using 50 salts with a .6 RDL (15W)
https://www.ejuices.com/collections/12mg-nicotine

You want a big DL pull with big clouds and flavor go to proper DL setup and use 6 freebase.
Wondering if something zoomed by and I didn't catch it. What is "proper DL setup" ?

I know I keep asking questions, guys. I just want to feel confident that I'm going to get the right thing. You guys are probably saying "Jeez I don't think this guy knows what he wants."

Yeah I remember now...it's watts..not volts. I had that on my other mod that I had for a few years. It's was a SMOK T-Priv by the way. Plenty of adjustable settings. I think I remember it was usually set around 40-45. Watts I am assuming. I remember it was printed right on the coil. I think it said "25-50" was the wattage range. Does any of that make sense?
I know I will just go get another mod. Maybe I can just go to the vape shop tomorrow and get one. I know it's beating a dead horse to keep trying to figure out different ways to make this Nord work.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
More 12mg fruits there than I've seen anywhere. Actually have a bunch in my cart. I did the old obtain abandon cart thing and get a coupon next day to complete for 10% off. No place for the dang code during checkout...
Got another one next day for 15% off. Sent them an email....no reply. :mad:

SMOK T-Priv by the way. Plenty of adjustable settings. I think I remember it was usually set around 40-45. Watts I am assuming. I remember it was printed right on the coil. I think it said "25-50" was the wattage range. Does any of that make sense?
That would be a DL setup. The Nord is just designed for MTL. I still say do both. Put some 12 mg freebase or 50 salts in it and get that throat hit you need.
and something for a big flavor vapor hit with 6 mg freebase. So much easier when you can switch styles to get whichever you crave. I actually rarely leave house without both.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So then do you have 2 tanks and just switch from one to the other depending on what you're feeling?
Essentially yes. 2 different set ups. I've mostly rebuildables for years and have only dabbled with pods or factory coils. Always found their performance to be lacking.
For DL no pod or tank can touch an RDA, in my opinion, not even close. I only use an RDA on a squonk mod for DL.
However for MTL pod performance has equalled and even surpassed all my rebuildables lately and have become my daily driver for the most part.

Oh I gotcha. Yeah I don't foresee being a rda guy. Maybe if I was retired or something. Can't imagine being on a trip driving and having to drip every 8 or 10 puffs. It'll be tanks for me. Gotta be as convenient as a cigarette. Pull it out and use it.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh I gotcha. Yeah I don't foresee being a rda guy. Maybe if I was retired or something. Can't imagine being on a trip driving and having to drip every 8 or 10 puffs. It'll be tanks for me. Gotta be as convenient as a cigarette. Pull it out and use it.
I don't drip for the same reason, too hard to drip and drive. I squonk. It's an rda with a hollow pin and you just squeeze the bottle. On these topside mods that bottle is like a 10 ml tank....
20230623_220315.jpg

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Interesting! Well I guess never say never. Baby steps. Will start with a real mod. I'll have it sometime tomorrow.
Yup, remember everything in vaping is subjective. What's a tight or airy to me may not be to others. Or a nice warm vape to me is cold to someone else. Figured that one out by trying what others were doing, now I know.
Lots of variables as well even on a single device; coils, airflow, power, juice

Then there is flavor. My kid loves Kale, will eat giant bowls of it, makes me gag lol.

Some guidance helps but you must find your own path, find your own vape preferences. It takes time and patience. One you travel the road you can just focus on what you like and ignore the rest.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'll get a real mod shortly. I'm learning so damn much just listening to y'all.
Careful. We're like fast spreading moss. :D We grow on you. Eventually, you'll be cussing us for being "enablers", or "teases". We got a standard expression here.

"Quit enabling me and go fuck yourself." In general, you'll likely see it abbreviated to GFY. It is meant as a term of endearment. Someone actually wants you to practice self intimacy, they care enough to at least say you're worth a fu*k.

If you read, see GUY or "Go Unfuck Yourself" ... well that means just the opposite. You've messed up awful at that point, not worth the intercourse. This is pretty rare, but it can happen.
a standard 70/30 you will get the throat hit
To help further education, on here most often we express juices with PG first and VG last. So a "standard 70/30" mix is 70% PG, 30% VG.

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
So then do you have 2 tanks and just switch from one to the other depending on what you're feeling?

If i were you i would get the Uforce-L Tank from Voopoo.
Personally reviewed this one and even thou it had one minor con (airflow ring,no stop and moves around too much) the really pro about it is that it uses PnP coils.
Last time i counted they had like 10 or 11 different coils available which lets you play around with different ohms and make it easier for you find your ''sweet spot''

Yup, remember everything in vaping is subjective. What's a tight or airy to me may not be to others. Or a nice warm vape to me is cold to someone else. Figured that one out by trying what others were doing, now I know.
Lots of variables as well even on a single device; coils, airflow, power, juice

Then there is flavor. My kid loves Kale, will eat giant bowls of it, makes me gag lol.

Some guidance helps but you must find your own path, find your own vape preferences. It takes time and patience. One you travel the road you can just focus on what you like and ignore the rest.

^^
What he said.

Guidance and advice is always good but at the end of the day we all different.
Gotta stick to the basics at first,tank and coils that is what i always tell the people i try to help out when they want to quit smoking.
Mod and number of batteries is meh,mods come in all shapes and colors,got built in battery or you can get a mod that uses 4x18650 batteries.

Need to focus on getting a tank and coils (that ohm number that hits the sweet spot) that work for you,then you can play around and look at mods that you like.

As Bob said it takes time,patience and money.
I am 4 years in and apart from one e-liquid flavor that i like i am still struggling and trying to find any other flavors i enjoy vaping.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For DL no pod or tank can touch an RDA, in my opinion, not even close. I only use an RDA on a squonk mod for DL.

Woot, woot!! Only way to be. :D Of couse, add them to a squonk mod and an RDA becomes an RSA.

"More than meets the eye!"

If i were you i would get the Uforce-L Tank from Voopoo.
Personally reviewed this one and even thou it had one minor con (airflow ring,no stop and moves around too much) the really pro about it is that it uses PnP coils.
Last time i counted they had like 10 or 11 different coils available which lets you play around with different ohms and make it easier for you find your ''sweet spot''

That sounds like a very good plan of action. Those PnP coil assemblies will give a person a variety to get to better know what they like.

You could also buy cheap 100 piece packs of some machined out wire coils at different ohm ratings, for an RDA or any rebuild deck. Same result, only different means to it.

Been roughly 8 - 10 years here. Keep bouncing from 0.30 to 0.50 Ω for coils. Find that's roughly where I like a build. That range using max VG gives me clouds that go all day sometimes. Other times the "whatever" just isn't "there" but I still get a few modest clouds. Again, no, I'm not a cloud chaser. *Almost believes it.*

Gotta be as convenient as a cigarette. Pull it out and use it.

*chuckling hard and breaking to a LOL* I got a couple squonk mods with RDAs on them. I carry in a pocket at times. Get all the convenience right there & then. To keep it simple, I use mostly mechanical mods. Press the fire button and it fires. Might take xxx number of nanoseconds or whatever. Do I notice any real delay? Nope, not really.

If it doesn't fire? Check battery by swapping one in the mod with a freshly charged and rested one. Still no fire? Pull the battery out, clean contacts. Put battery back in. No fire, check the "safety" feature to be sure you've not "locked" the mod. That fails, go to a backup mod until you can take longer to troubleshoot. Very little to go foul with mechanical mods. No fucking chip to fail, turn a $200 mod into a "brick".

"Oh, but you can order a new chip for $30 - $50 and replace the fouled one." Uh huh, like my trees grow money, bub. As if I got time for an electrical engineering degree. I work, fuck you do?

Give me a $20 t0 $40 mechanical that I can buy a spring, maybe a button for just a few bucks to replace in maybe five to ten years, Saul Goode. Maybe need a jewelers sliver for the contact bar, bend it up a bit with pliers to fit the mod, fire away. All issues a "person" can fix in a few minutes to maybe half hour. You buy extra stuff like springs, buttons, slivers, o-rings. Keep your stash on hand. Something fouls, just replace the cheap part and vape on. Not brain surgery.

So much easier when you can switch styles to get whichever you crave. I actually rarely leave house without both.

Not knocking @BobsHere's advice. I'm just an "old dog" what has found he likes DL, maybe RDL. I don't get along with MTL. The kicker though, even doing DL you do, do some MTL. The vapor enters your mouth either way, most times. I can draw in directly to throat, to lung. Got to constumate on it but yes, can do it.

I just don't like pixie stick vaping, or "toodlepuff" vaping. I tried it starting out and it was alright. Then, a buddy/enabler said, "psst, try this". Not been the same since. LOL "I think Mikey likes it." LOL "Yes, yes Mikey Likey!!"

But again, as keeps getting lobbed out in this thread, it's all subjective in vaping. Everyone has to find their own way. There's no absolute correct way, save not being effing stupid with it, to vape. What works for you, works for you. But do try other stuff once in a while just to see if you'll like it.

You see Holy Wars regarding vaping here in the Underground, just steer clear. We rarely have those, however. You're vaping? Great! Does the details really matter? Nah. If you like what you're doing, keep on keeping on.

Some like rayon, others cotton, some steel wire, mesh, quartz for wicks. Whatever floats your rocks off, go on with your bad self. ;)

Also, as continually dropped, try a bit of everything. Find your way for yourself. Don't let some jag off tell you way X is the only way. Hell nah, cats can be skinned at least 144 different ways.

Last edited:

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Woot, woot!! Only way to be. :D Of couse, add them to a squonk mod and an RDA becomes an RSA.

"More than meets the eye!"

That sounds like a very good plan of action. Those PnP coil assemblies will give a person a variety to get to better know what they like.

You could also buy cheap 100 piece packs of some machined out wire coils at different ohm ratings, for an RDA or any rebuild deck. Same result, only different means to it.

Been roughly 8 - 10 years here. Keep bouncing from 0.30 to 0.50 Ω for coils. Find that's roughly where I like a build. That range using max VG gives me clouds that go all day sometimes. Other times the "whatever" just isn't "there" but I still get a few modest clouds. Again, no, I'm not a cloud chaser. *Almost believes it.*

*chuckling hard and breaking to a LOL* I got a couple squonk mods with RDAs on them. I carry in a pocket at times. Get all the convenience right there & then. To keep it simple, I use mostly mechanical mods. Press the fire button and it fires. Might take xxx number of nanoseconds or whatever. Do I notice any real delay? Nope, not really.

If it doesn't fire? Check battery by swapping one in the mod with a freshly charged and rested one. Still no fire? Pull the battery out, clean contacts. Put battery back in. No fire, check the "safety" feature to be sure you've not "locked" the mod. That fails, go to a backup mod until you can take longer to troubleshoot. Very little to go foul with mechanical mods. No fucking chip to fail, turn a $200 mod into a "brick".

"Oh, but you can order a new chip for $30 - $50 and replace the fouled one." Uh huh, like my trees grow money, bub. As if I got time for an electrical engineering degree. I work, fuck you do?

Give me a $20 t0 $40 mechanical that I can buy a spring, maybe a button for just a few bucks to replace in maybe five to ten years, Saul Goode. Maybe need a jewelers sliver for the contact bar, bend it up a bit with pliers to fit the mod, fire away. All issues a "person" can fix in a few minutes to maybe half hour. You buy extra stuff like springs, buttons, slivers, o-rings. Keep your stash on hand. Something fouls, just replace the cheap part and vape on. Not brain surgery.

Not knocking @BobsHere's advice. I'm just an "old dog" what has found he likes DL, maybe RDL. I don't get along with MTL. The kicker though, even doing DL you do, do some MTL. The vapor enters your mouth either way, most times. I can draw in directly to throat, to lung. Got to constumate on it but yes, can do it.

I just don't like pixie stick vaping, or "toodlepuff" vaping. I tried it starting out and it was alright. Then, a buddy/enabler said, "psst, try this". Not been the same since. LOL "I think Mikey likes it." LOL "Yes, yes Mikey Likey!!"

But again, as keeps getting lobbed out in this thread, it's all subjective in vaping. Everyone has to find their own way. There's no absolute correct way, save not being effing stupid with it, to vape. What works for you, works for you. But do try other stuff once in a while just to see if you'll like it.

You see Holy Wars regarding vaping here in the Underground, just steer clear. We rarely have those, however. You're vaping? Great! Does the details really matter? Nah. If you like what you're doing, keep on keeping on.

Some like rayon, others cotton, some steel wire, mesh, quartz for wicks. Whatever floats your rocks off, go on with your bad self. ;)

Also, as continually dropped, try a bit of everything. Find your way for yourself. Don't let some jag off tell you way X is the only way. Hell nah, cats can be skinned at least 144 different ways.

I actually started vaping with a Veco Kit (Vaporesso),think the wattage on that was 30'ish watts or no.
Not that it had a + or - for adjustment anyway.
I kept it simple,my friend the owner of the vape shop told me to keep it simple at first so yeah just the fire button.
Pre Covid he had several devices there primed up with different e-liquids so you could try some flavors (always using those disposable rubbery drip tips for testers)
I did try MTL but wasn't getting that wam bam thank you maam so i moved right to DTL/RDL without bothering to start with MTL.
MTL just never did it for me,i have reviewed MTL tanks but meh,never actually liked it.

Wish i could get into Mech mods,specially liked the cilinder shaped ones,aesthetic wise they look cool as hell.
But my mind ain't in the right place at the moment to even fathom using one of those,juggling to many balls in real life so yeah no mechs for me hehe.

Funny how we all go thru certain stages,after drop in coil stage i went to RTA...bottom airflow killed it for me.
I actually vaped less so i wouldn't have to rewick,then changed to top airflow and meh,no leaking but unless my wicking was perfect i would still have issues.

Never thought i would be a squonker/RDA user,did review the Pulse V2/Requiem RDA combo like a year or two ago and meh,wasn't really into it.

But a subscriber from my channel felt sorry for me and all my RTA wicking problems he actually sent me a Pulse V2/Nitrous and that has been my main ever since.

Guess what i am trying to say is that it doesn't really matter how or what you vape as long as it keeps you far and away from the cigs.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Njoy cig-likes over to eGo btteries and the RM2 / ARRO tanks. A buddy suggested I try a real cheap squonk mech. Mr. Owl Terminator. Silly thing had a wire, was super greasy cheap printed plastic box. Got the RDA, somewhere the mod saw file 13 pretty quick, it was a hazard more than not. I did though see what squonking, mechanical mods, RDA were about. Thank you @Hank F. Spankman. You turned me a furry squonk monster. LOL

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Now that i think about it i did try a vaping apparatus a long long time ago,looked very similar to this:

-2-4-Carry-Case-Rechargeable-E-Cigarette-502-.jpg

Must have been at least 14 or 15 years ago,not sure thou.
Flight attendant i was dating brought it from one of her trips to China,i used it for about a week or so but it was really faulty.
Can't really remember much,did get odd looks in the bar when i would push the tab in the bottom (like some battery compartments have) and the plug would pop out,then i would just plug it in the wall to let it charge.
Memory a bit spotty but yeah at least i think it was like 15 years ago,she told me it had just come out,she even brought me some mint flavored e-liquid...no idea on the nic % thou.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
More 12mg fruits there than I've seen anywhere. Actually have a bunch in my cart. I did the old obtain abandon cart thing and get a coupon next day to complete for 10% off. No place for the dang code during checkout...
Got another one next day for 15% off. Sent them an email....no reply. :mad:
lol

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Interesting! Well I guess never say never. Baby steps. Will start with a real mod. I'll have it sometime tomorrow.
When you say mod, do you mean a kit? Is it a pod, or mod + sub ohm tank?
Are you deciding on what the vape shop has? And do you know which one?
Does the shop have a website?
Do they have freebase juice?
We can help you spend your money wisely.

FranknChill

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
When you say mod, do you mean a kit? Is it a pod, or mod + sub ohm tank?
Are you deciding on what the vape shop has? And do you know which one?
Does the shop have a website?
Do they have freebase juice?
We can help you spend your money wisely.
^^
What he said.
Run it by us before so we can steer you in the right direction.
I hate to say this but not all Brick & Mortar shops have the best intentions in mind,some just want to make a quick buck.
I was lucky with my friend,local vape shop just opened and i had about 120 euros ready to get me started, i spent half of that because he didn't push me to get stuff i didn't need.

Important thing is to get your cig consumption down to zero,if you already achieved that well you can look into upgrading.
But like @Vape Fan said in the beginning you using the wrong nic with the wrong coils.
Nic salts is for MTL,just higher nic,20% up to 50%,now if you use a DTL device/coils then you need a much lower nic intake.
That doesn't mean you will not get rid of the nic craving,just means you gotta use the correct proportion,seems you started with DTL i would stick with that but lower your nic %.

Doesn't have to be drastic but it does need to be lowered.
The way i see it you need to get rid of the old and in with the new,personally i would go directly to DL vaping which it seems you have been doing but this time with lower nic (freebase) so you don't experience any side effects like not being able to catch your breath.

Just gotta be patient,we all gone thru this when we started,had to go thru different set ups and see what worked.
When i first started with RTA tanks i would switch coils every 3 or 4 days,just couldn't find the right ohms for me,its a bit of trial and error.

But you will get there,just be patient and willing to try new setups (and using your VISA lol).

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But you will get there,just be patient and willing to try new setups (and using your VISA lol).

Awe, it ain't so bad you'll break a bank. The first two years or so of vaping, I spent about $500. I'm just a po'-boy even if all the working turns a register. Got to pay for that Bill guy. You see him, tell him I'll find his forwarding, soon. LOL

I'd say roughly over the past eight to ten, I might have almost brushed against $1,000. Some of that has been luck, I'll admit. Some just watching for steals, I mean deals.

Kind of rules for me try to spend no more than $25 for a decent RDA unless it has some real, proven benefit, then, I might pay about $35, if I have to. Mods I try to stay under $50, maxing at $75. I'm not a collector, my gear is form and function.

"It's a box for my batteries. Does it hold 'em good, let me fire up good? ... Will last at least two years? ... Cool."

Wire, cotton, wick, batteries I don't look to go over about $10 - $20 at any given buy. Juice, if I can stay $0.25/- per ml of it I will, at most I might pay $045 per ml, but it has to be worth it to me. If I can mix the same for less than $0.25 a ml, figure your juice isn't that worthy, for me at least. Find that any more than $0.25 per ml is excessive overhead. Can usually find, if not genuine recipes, close knock offs for free online.

Flavorings are good & cheap if you know where to look. Then you can get unflavored base, add your flavors. @nadalama is probably a good one to ask regarding where to find good & cheap nicotine base juice. I used to like Heartland, anymore though you got to watch where you get due to regs, price increases, government bs. If there wasn't so much bs, might actually enjoy my governmental job. *smh*

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Other than a few outliers like MMM most people DL 3 or 6. I use 6 for nic intake and a bit of a throat hit along with big flavor.

I've checked. It's okay to call me, M3. Just don't go switching it around, the Day-Glo folks will come at me. I'm not feeding a million Indian folk, sorry, nope, just not happening. Sure, I'm a rainmaker, but c'mon, even workers of miracles have limits.

That would be a lot of balsamic rice and fresh grown veggies. Not sure even 1-800-Pro-Duce could pull that off. Hugo, @f1r3b1rd Tony. Took me a bit to recall them. They used to use that 800, now they use 800-Let-tuce. They used to also have a spot in the NY/NJ state. Damn, been years.

:D :)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors