Become a Patron!

The Merlin RTA by Augvape and Roxy

dave61

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a e-mail notice in my inbox at 7:50 P.M. stating that the new bases were in and once a comparison was done to see if the new bases were better (tighter air flow) than the older bases then they would notify me.

Edit: on my base with the airflow completely closed off, I get what feels like a 3-3.5mm air draw. I've done a sort of fix with sliding a vape band down over the air slot to tighten it up some.

thanks for the info I haven't recieved a reply from any email Ive sent

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So what's this issue everyone is having with there basis on the merlin. I've been using mine and haven't noticed anything. So I wanna double check once I know the issue everyone is having????

I think for those having issues, is was kind of different for everyone. Some bases were dripping juice. possibly from a press-fit, or o-ring issue. some airflow rings were loose, a couple couldn't turn the juice flow very easily, one seemed more airy than it was supposed to, and one was missing a post hole.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think for those having issues, is was kind of different for everyone. Some bases were dripping juice. possibly from a press-fit, or o-ring issue. some airflow rings were loose, a couple couldn't turn the juice flow very easily, one seemed more airy than it was supposed to, and one was missing a post hole.
Alright thanks for clearing that up for me.

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So far I haven't heard any more on my "Loose airflow base" replacement from STS, but I'm figuring that they are a bit busy over there, so I'll just keep waiting.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So far I haven't heard any more on my "Loose airflow base" replacement from STS, but I'm figuring that they are a bit busy over there, so I'll just keep waiting.
Doesn't hurt to send him an email reminder, he might be overwhelmed keeping track of all the replacements. I got my notification too, I last emailed him on last Thursday.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I held off for the base issue to be sorted out. Now I see a V2 is in circulation. Doesn't matter to me as I don't chain vape high VG.
What I would like to know is if the 510 screw length is too long, too short, or just right. I've seen a few people who say they have wobbly tanks because of the length of the 510. Besides being 'King of Leaks', I am also Goldilocks when it comes to this kind of thing. I want it to be just right.

Whirlwind

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I held off for the base issue to be sorted out. Now I see a V2 is in circulation. Doesn't matter to me as I don't chain vape high VG.
What I would like to know is if the 510 screw length is too long, too short, or just right. I've seen a few people who say they have wobbly tanks because of the length of the 510. Besides being 'King of Leaks', I am also Goldilocks when it comes to this kind of thing. I want it to be just right.

The 510 is slightly long.I just stick two Mod savers on and it is fine.

disley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I ordered two from FT both v2, when they arrived my friend and I took one each.
The 510 is too long, causing it to wobble and put pressure on the mod connection.
The juice flow control is lose, if you turn the afc the juice flow moves, take the refill top off and the juice flow moves.
The other is perfect. Although it gulps down the juice, which I don't mind because it produces fine tasting mega clouds.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What are the differences between v1- v2. I just bought one and would like to know what I'm getting. It wasn't stated as either or.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Now that I've looked around the net for pics, They all, or at least the ones I've found are all the v1 pics. Guess I wont know for sure what version I bought until I get it. Again, no biggie which ever.
If it makes you feel any better I ordered 2 from Eciggitty and 2 from Fastttech. All four are v1 and vape beautifully.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If it makes you feel any better I ordered 2 from Eciggitty and 2 from Fastttech. All four are v1 and vape beautifully.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
I'm not worried at all what version, just curious. It was after I pressed the buy button, then found out a v2 is out. Not one bit worried. Oh, Black for 17 and some change at efun. plus 3 bucks or so shipping. Happy with that for sure....But yea, it does make me feel better:bingo:

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Should be easy enough to remove the positive pin and grind a fraction off the end...you would think anyway.

I use 510 Faulkner heat sinks with adjustable pins.................they screw in nice and snug to the 510 mod base with only a turn or two, don't depress the center pin so hard. Mine fit nice, haven't had any issues with resistance or TC with them at all and a side benefit if all the screwing and unscrewing is the wear is on the $5-6 heat sink, not the mod..........

They don't allow the tank the sit absolutely flush due to the top pin is fixed (take apart and file a bit off the top center pin would fix this) and it is not the most pretty, but highly functional..............I've no issue's with resistance bouncing around and the mods jumping out of TC mode...none, nada..................easier and cheaper than replacing 510 base connectors.....and eliminates issue's with certain tanks having such long 510's and bugger up the mod connector.........

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I have my Black Merlin sitting on my Black Presa 100 TC and can put a .5mm shim under the Merlin to get a tight fit on my Presa 100. So it is Almost flush fitting, but then again, the Presa's are known for having a very short throw positive pin with limited travel.

Last edited:

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Should be easy enough to remove the positive pin and grind a fraction off the end...you would think anyway.

That was the first thing I thought also, But, the 510 pin on my Merlin spins freely and won't unscrew so as to be taken out. That is the FIRST Atomizer I have gotten that does that, Can't take out the 510 pin. :(:(

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I already got a reply from STS on the e-mail that I had JUST sent them (talk about a fast reply):

"Re:
Subtank Supply
Today 7:29 PMYou I will check it out in the morning. The last couple days have been chaotic trying to get everything done in a timely manner. We did not have Internet at the office most of the day Monday due to road contraction they had to move the lines and it caused us to get way behind on our shipping. But I will let you know tomorrow. The new decks are a lot tighter to turn anyway. Hopefully they will have a tighter draw. Thanks a lot.

On Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 52anddone wrote:
I was just wondering if you have had a chance to compare those bases to see if there are any that have a tighter air draw. Mine has what I approximate as a 2.5mm-3mm air draw when the airflow slots are fully closed and I take a primer draw. I would want (and expected) it tighter than that.

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thank You for you're time on this matter. It is very refreshing to have a company actually return an e-mail answering questions and providing help and Customer Service. Most Companies DON"T Bother to do that."

alexm

Member For 4 Years
That was the first thing I thought also, But, the 510 pin on my Merlin spins freely and won't unscrew so as to be taken out. That is the FIRST Atomizer I have gotten that does that, Can't take out the 510 pin. :(:(
If you have the deck open, try pushing a needle or toothpick down the air hole. The insulator used on the pin has a tendency to hold the pin in place.

I've removed my pin a few times trying to take the base apart. 90% of the time it gets hung up on the insulator and needs a few hard taps to break loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

janne303

Member For 4 Years
My Merlin is here now!

adde008090be11fc1f3b48d279c800a3.jpg

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

dwcraig1

Member For 4 Years
A week or so ago while taking a look at how to disassemble the base I noticed a bit of wetness on the 510's insulator and screw (inside). I had no juice leaking as yet into the 510 of the Dicodes tube on which it lives. I placed a 5 x 1 mm o-ring inside the 510 and with the screw in the insulator I added two 2 x 1 o-rings. I have since checked this a few times and all was good. It wasn't seeping much but I wasn't wanting to take any chances.
Never did figure how to disassemble the base.

Last edited:

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A week or so ago while taking a look at how to disassemble the base I noticed a bit of wetness on the 510's insulator and screw (inside). I had no juice leaking as yet into the 510 of the Dicodes tube on which it lives. I placed a 5 x 1 mm o-ring inside the 510 and with the screw in the insulator I added two 2 x 1 o-rings. I have since checked this a few times and all was good. It wasn't seeping much but I wasn't wanting to take any chances.
Same thing happened to my Boreas. I vape it at 50-80w. Mine did leak. I had to replace the insulator with a silicone insulator and a tiny o-ring.

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Hey craig, do you have any pictures by chance ?? I can't picture all that you did o_O (I guess all my Med's are getting in the way, Brain Fog ya know) :(, and I too have noticed some seeping.

Last edited:

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you have the deck open, try pushing a needle or toothpick down the air hole. The insulator used on the pin has a tendency to hold the pin in place.

I've removed my pin a few times trying to take the base apart. 90% of the time it gets hung up on the insulator and needs a few hard taps to break loose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I will have to check that out for sure. Thanks for the "Heads Up". ;)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hey craig, do you have any pictures by chance ?? I can't picture all that you did o_O (I guess all my Med's are getting in the way, Brain Fog ya know) :(, and I too have noticed some seeping.

That sucks, the seeping.

I'm thinking about spending a day noting all the important fixes for the Merlin - it's such a wonderful atty, its a shame the QC on it was so poor. But i understand why they rushed it to market.

Mine are still holding up very well, thank goodness.

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a "Silver" Presa 100 TC/"Stainless" Taifun GT-V2, and "Black" Presa 100 TC/"Black" Merlin, both set up the same, running at same wattage, and they are so close I almost can't tell the difference in vape, except that the Merlin has the edge (small that it be) in Flavor, (and that's with a vape band around the air slots on the Merlin to reduce airflow to the Taifun's volume and draw). I also just mix (2) different flavors, a 10mg/ml Menthol and a Unflavored (both mixed at 10mg/ml ECX Nic), so maybe the fact that I don't like a varied selection of flavors like most of you do might be part of it, But, I like what I have and like the Merlin. It stands shoulder to shoulder with my Taifun's and Erlk's in Flavor (when I have that vape band set for the right airflow) and I think that's saying a lot for the Merlin.

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That sucks, the seeping.

I'm thinking about spending a day noting all the important fixes for the Merlin - it's such a wonderful atty, its a shame the QC on it was so poor. But i understand why they rushed it to market.

I don't think it is seeping my juice, I think it's seeping condensation. I live in S/E Minnesota and the Dew Point gets up around 70-80 quite often, and going from a Refrigerated indoors to the out doors doesn't help. I could be wrong about that also, who knows.

52anddone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That sucks, the seeping.

That might be VERY Helpfull to a lot of us that have Merlin's with issues. Even Perfect designs need help caused by sloppy QC.

disley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not me. I'll keep it and just look for a way to modify it to my liking, without defacing it that is. I still need to STOP Vaping on it long enough to break it down and check it out.
Me too.
I'm too impatient to send it back and wait for a replacement or refund.
If I can use a little tweak or modification to fix the problem, that's what I do.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Product page listing QC... boo.

As far as the "seepage", I really don't think it's condensation. It's too concentrated. I'm still getting it. For 2 fills, I didn't, but it's happening again. It's not like half a tank at a time, but it's enough to be seriously aggravating. Especially when you don't think about it for a bit and have a mess to clean up on your mod and hands.

VU Sponsors