Become a Patron!

The Merlin RTA by Augvape and Roxy

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks everyone! What's considered high or low pg/vg? I'm using mostly 30pg/70vg.
To thin the tails or thin not?
I'm running 70VG juice and I didn't thin the wick at all (KGD cotton with a "lite" Sottish roll method). I just had to make sure that the wicks were almost entirely in the juice channels and then I slightly lifted them up from the channel. Just put tweezers in the bottom of the round juice channel and made sure the cotton was off the bottom. Worked beautifully. I also have a little cotton around the outside of the juice ports that touch the bottom of the build deck. Please note that I only received this tank yesterday so I have no time tested experience with with this tank. Just letting you know what worked for me. DJLsb has a fantastic video on the Merlin.

Tattari

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yes ive taken a step back, I dont wanna have to have her look thru all these pages to help people. Again I have no problem with someone helping someone in regards to vaping. No matter how much I dont like the tank, or whatever it shouldnt be in here. People posted the video in here and it started rolling out of control. No worries or issues from me. I have to get back to work anyway

Jai , how is it going bro , Look , i'm totally on your side with this , because a review in the end is a personal opinion , something that i may LOVE could be the worst to someone else , you didn't like the Merlin , that's fair and you shouldn't be bashed about it to be honest , i saw your reviews and mostly they are funny and nice, you don't seem biased , but i give 2 shits about that because at the end of the day i check all reviews and i also try my self every tank that i bring before selling it to customers , and i give them honest reviews and let them try it .
For example everyone loved the Aromamizer supreme , while i thought it was rubbish and the Boreas pisses all over it , But your comparison between the Cleito and Merlin is not fair , it's like comparing Apples to Oranges , one is a single coil RTA and the other is a dual coil subohm or a dual RBA .

The Merlin overall imo is nice , it does it's job well , however I'm not a big fan of single coil RTAs , and this one and the Bachelor i have actually enjoyed , i'm not saying that you are a bad builder or don't know how to build , But the wick on this thing can be a bit tricky , and it seems like it prefers bigger builds . i'm sitting at exactly 1 ohm atm , vaping at 28watts , nice cold vape , has nice flavor to it 0 dry hits and leaking , that was on the 3rd attempt though.
at 35 watts i get a nice warmer vape with full airflow open , at 30 watts with airflow 80% closed it's a pretty nice vape i must say.
HOWEVER , there is no flavor overload at all , it's a single coil RTA and i don't expect that from it , if i have to vote for a better single coil RTA it'll be the monster V3 by Custom 528 , that thing has really mad flavor for a single coil RTA , however , it's almost 80$ in price i believe .

So TLDR;
Merlin is nice , not the best , and you people shouldn't bash a reviewer for his opinion . There plenty of reviews coming up most of them are positive so that should be fine tbh , DJLSB and some others loved it and said it is one of the best , you don't have to get a positive review from all reviewers . + Jay didn't say it sucks ass , he just says he didn't like it , although the cleito comparison wasn't fair cuz 1 is single and other is dual . and please don't say dual on Merlin , because it's not really a nice vape.

Regards,

Rickwhoo

Member For 4 Years
I am also going to ask that no one post pics or videos of the deck disassembly, please until I talk to Leon. It would give the cloners too easy of an opportunity.
I would think the cloners already bought some of these great RTA's... With what these are selling for the clones won't be such a bargain in my opinion. These RTA's are priced perfectly so not many will be buying the clones of these.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm running 70VG juice and I didn't thin the wick at all (KGD cotton with a "lite" Sottish roll method). I just had to make sure that the wicks were almost entirely in the juice channels and then I slightly lifted them up from the channel. Just put tweezers in the bottom of the round juice channel and made sure the cotton was off the bottom. Worked beautifully. I also have a little cotton around the outside of the juice ports that touch the bottom of the build deck. Please note that I only received this tank yesterday so I have no time tested experience with with this tank. Just letting you know what worked for me. DJLsb has a fantastic video on the Merlin.
Thanks, yes I watched DJLsb vid. He's my fav! Thank you for sharing your wick method, I was asking about rayon since I am new to rayon cos rayon from what little I've learned is wicked differently then cotton.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You know whats funny, so many people here talking shit trying to defend the RIGHTS of Roxy (STILL HAVE NO IDEA WHO SHE IS - no videos, no pictures talk about hiding). Lets clear some things up, because I speak my mind and im honest; people appreciate that. I like how you clowns are calling me names and judging me. What about your video? Where your video? Since when do people get items and bullshit everyone saying how good an item is. THAT IS THE POINT of a review isnt it? Bunch of fucken troll kids. Anyone can be tough on the internet. Call me Fat, did it already TO MYSELF in the video. I dont hide behind a keyboard, the business I work at IS ALL over the internet; so come on over and see me. I dont work for Aspire. Just because I like something doesn't mean I work for the company. I love the boxer and I praise it in all my videos; that doesn't mean I work for ginger-vaper. See I have a screenshot of this company talking shit...so it proves my point even further. Then they took it down because they were acting like a child.

Let me also note a couple other things. You guys keep watching my video and talking shit and posting more of my videos. I am winning...you know that right? A view is a view. Youd be surprised how many subscribers I GOT from you posting the video. Go ahead...."YOU ONLY GOT 300 VIEWS", wheres your video tough guy? See haters are what make me famous. Its like the old saying "good or bad publicity, its publicity". I could give a shit about you guys talking about me, I read your comments and they make me smile. See even if you are like this guy from youtube talking shit about a device, ITS MY OPINION and youre putting my name out there. Thats the point of reviews, I dont skew them to make companies better than what they are. I never said the TANK WAS a piece of shit. Some of you guys are taking it way further than what it is. I said I dont like it. I said its worth 20 bucks. Some of you guys really need to watch shit and not worry about me being fat, or ugly, or if I even vape bro or whatever it is that your argument is.

Ill finish off on this note, its simple. Keep posting my video in here, help me get more subscribers.

I do not prefer reading what in my humbled opinion seems puerile. That is my opinion & preference. That does not infer I hate you. It simply means exactly as I say, in my opinion you write puerile garbage & I prefer to not read it. Best of luck.

With that, I ignore their posts hence more. Yes, everyone has the right to speak freely. Everyone also has a right to not listen to those talking, freely. Thank you. :)

petemoss

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was surprised how tight Merlin was with the 2.4mm reducer screwed in. I took the reducer out and just used the afc ring closed down to a round hole and got the medium-tight draw I like. But then when I examined the screw, this is what came out- a little burr that was clogging the screw hole! With the little shaving removed, now I'm getting a nice MTL draw.

Last edited:

Rickwhoo

Member For 4 Years
I was surprised how tight Merlin was with the 2.4mm reducer screwed in. I took the reducer out and just used the afc ring closed down to a round hole and got the medium-tight draw I like. But then when I examined the screw, this is what came out- a little burr that was clogging the screw hole!

So that's how some people could fix the loose air control... LMAO

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Jai , how is it going bro , Look , i'm totally on your side with this , because a review in the end is a personal opinion , something that i may LOVE could be the worst to someone else , you didn't like the Merlin , that's fair and you shouldn't be bashed about it to be honest , i saw your reviews and mostly they are funny and nice, you don't seem biased , but i give 2 shits about that because at the end of the day i check all reviews and i also try my self every tank that i bring before selling it to customers , and i give them honest reviews and let them try it .
For example everyone loved the Aromamizer supreme , while i thought it was rubbish and the Boreas pisses all over it , But your comparison between the Cleito and Merlin is not fair , it's like comparing Apples to Oranges , one is a single coil RTA and the other is a dual coil subohm or a dual RBA .

The Merlin overall imo is nice , it does it's job well , however I'm not a big fan of single coil RTAs , and this one and the Bachelor i have actually enjoyed , i'm not saying that you are a bad builder or don't know how to build , But the wick on this thing can be a bit tricky , and it seems like it prefers bigger builds . i'm sitting at exactly 1 ohm atm , vaping at 28watts , nice cold vape , has nice flavor to it 0 dry hits and leaking , that was on the 3rd attempt though.
at 35 watts i get a nice warmer vape with full airflow open , at 30 watts with airflow 80% closed it's a pretty nice vape i must say.
HOWEVER , there is no flavor overload at all , it's a single coil RTA and i don't expect that from it , if i have to vote for a better single coil RTA it'll be the monster V3 by Custom 528 , that thing has really mad flavor for a single coil RTA , however , it's almost 80$ in price i believe .

So TLDR;
Merlin is nice , not the best , and you people shouldn't bash a reviewer for his opinion . There plenty of reviews coming up most of them are positive so that should be fine tbh , DJLSB and some others loved it and said it is one of the best , you don't have to get a positive review from all reviewers . + Jay didn't say it sucks ass , he just says he didn't like it , although the cleito comparison wasn't fair cuz 1 is single and other is dual . and please don't say dual on Merlin , because it's not really a nice vape.

Regards,
I do not prefer reading what in my humbled opinion seems puerile. That is my opinion & preference. That does not infer I hate you. It simply means exactly as I say, in my opinion you write puerile garbage & I prefer to not read it. Best of luck.

With that, I ignore their posts hence more. Yes, everyone has the right to speak freely. Everyone also has a right to not listen to those talking, freely. Thank you. :)

This thread will be gone if people continue addressing this member.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The black Merlins for the winners of the instagram contest are here. I found one with the afc that turns continuously with no stops. This is not an o ring issue if this is what others are doing?

Those who said they have a loose afc, does your spin continuously, or it just has loose tolerances? I need to make sure I understand the issue to get it solved.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was surprised how tight Merlin was with the 2.4mm reducer screwed in. I took the reducer out and just used the afc ring closed down to a round hole and got the medium-tight draw I like. But then when I examined the screw, this is what came out- a little burr that was clogging the screw hole!

Seems a minor QC problem in manufacture, i.e. missed that bur on clean up for packaging. Not sure I will own a Merlin. It is not from anything negative I have read, seen though. What I see and read seems to be from simple user fumbles, or simple manufacture fumbles. That would not deter me from buying a tank if I so desired it.

I am looking to get into squonking as my main kit. As such, an RTDA is not exactly feasible. Though, I may later buy one or the other of these tanks. Never can tell with me. I may want something else as a backup for the backups. It seems from what I see, read of it both these tanks are outstanding in class.

Will reserve my opinion because I've not tried either one. Heck, may even reserve my opinion after I do. Simply having an opinion does not mean you need to express it. There are genuinely times it is far better remaining silent than to blurt out the first thing in your mind.

No, that is not self censorship in that case, it's being reasonable, respectful, well thought and spoken. Besides everyone assuredly has an anus and opinion, the biggest anuses go forth spewing a sea of opinions. Why add to that? It is only noise. Thanks for the reading. :)

jackmormon

Member For 4 Years
The black Merlins for the winners of the instagram contest are here. I found one with the afc that turns continuously with no stops. This is not an o ring issue if this is what others are doing?

Those who said they have a loose afc, does your spin continuously, or it just has loose tolerances? I need to make sure I understand the issue to get it solved.

Mine is just loose (compared to the other 2 I have) but does stop like the other 2.

Tattari

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
if anyone still has issues wicking the Merlin, This is the proper way

And does the juice flow have a stopper ? or is it supposed to spin freely ?

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if anyone still has issues wicking the Merlin, This is the proper way

And does the juice flow have a stopper ? or is it supposed to spin freely ?

I had to stuff a little more cotton in the juice channel than he did to keep it from leaking with 70vg juice. I did lift the cotton from the bottom of the wick channel as he did. That really is a very good tutorial.

The juice flow on the Merlin doesn't have a stopper.

Tattari

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had to stuff a little more cotton in the juice channel than he did to keep it from leaking with 70vg juice. I did lift the cotton from the bottom of the wick channel as he did. That really is a very good tutorial.

The juice flow on the Merlin doesn't have a stopper.
i did exactly what he did , but i stuffed more cotton cuz i tried a 4mm id build , works proper and no leaking . his wick is really awesome , no dry hits at all.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i did exactly what he did , but i stuffed more cotton cuz i tried a 4mm id build , works proper and no leaking . his wick is really awesome , no dry hits at all.
So true. I have the same experience. No dry hits or leaking at all with a good bit of cotton stuffed through the coil. I stretch out the cotton and roll it up to make a lighter version of the Scottish roll wicking method. It's just a habit at this point. Soooo happy to have a full sized single coil flavor RTA that doesn't leak. :p

The Bachelor had terrific flavor but it constantly seeped juice. The Serpent never leaked, but also never delivered the flavor that the Merlin has.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Love the looks of this black Merlin :D

UUxKPoS.jpg

alexm

Member For 4 Years
I'm using mine an an Evic VTC Mini, and tbh I never even noticed until you posted this that it doesn't sit completely flush. I hadn't noticed the slight overhang either until I started looking to see if it sits flush. Damn you, now I need a new mod.:D
Same. I used a piece of fine sand paper to grind the positive screw down about the the width of a sheet of paper.

Problem solved in about 15 seconds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Ian91

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Same. I used a piece of fine sand paper to grind the positive screw down about the the width of a sheet of paper.

Problem solved in about 15 seconds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
I have the same issue. Will try the sand paper. Thanks for the tip

DavidOH

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Let us know when you get home, and I'll help you get it sorted. Properly wicked and all o rings intact it shouldn't leak even sideways.

Thanks roxy..... I checked the O-rings and they all look good. That's as far as I'm going for a few days till I starting feeling better. I can barely taste and vape anything at the moment. So the Merlin will have to set here and look pretty for a few days.:(

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Thanks roxy..... I checked the O-rings and they all look good. That's as far as I'm going for a few days till I starting feeling better. I can barely taste and vape anything at the moment. So the Merlin will have to set here and look pretty for a few days.:(

Aww, I hope you feel better soon. Let me know when you're up to it, and we'll get it rocking for you.

Jai Haze

Haters Make Me Famous
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Unlisted Vendor

So TLDR;

Regards,
Finally someone that respects my opinion. I can see your side about it not being fair due to the different styles of decks. Duly noted, my bad on that but again was just throwing an idea out there. I agree with the supreme on you as well. Not a fan at all. I just heard some guy come in a thread im doing a giveaway for the H-Priv and he mention this thread AGAIN stating the Merlin is the best single coil tank. You cant be serious. Monster 528, Hurricane, Vapor Giant Kronos just to name a few.

Like you said that I said, I didnt say it was shit. Just said I didnt like it. Even at the end I said I built it wrong and ADMITTED on the video my faults but people tried to make me feel like shit. Horrible honestly, and even attacked my personal charachter because they didnt like my responses. I have a decent amount of followers. Maybe its from all the giveaways, or maybe they just follow me cause im not the average reviewer. Either way, a follower is a follower. And I do more than give back to the community. Shit if someone here wants the merlin rta ill send you mine. I have nothing to gain by keeping it. And thats not me being disrespectful, I just wont ever use it.

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally someone that respects my opinion. I can see your side about it not being fair due to the different styles of decks. Duly noted, my bad on that but again was just throwing an idea out there. I agree with the supreme on you as well. Not a fan at all. I just heard some guy come in a thread im doing a giveaway for the H-Priv and he mention this thread AGAIN stating the Merlin is the best single coil tank. You cant be serious. Monster 528, Hurricane, Vapor Giant Kronos just to name a few.

Like you said that I said, I didnt say it was shit. Just said I didnt like it. Even at the end I said I built it wrong and ADMITTED on the video my faults but people tried to make me feel like shit. Horrible honestly, and even attacked my personal charachter because they didnt like my responses. I have a decent amount of followers. Maybe its from all the giveaways, or maybe they just follow me cause im not the average reviewer. Either way, a follower is a follower. And I do more than give back to the community. Shit if someone here wants the merlin rta ill send you mine. I have nothing to gain by keeping it. And thats not me being disrespectful, I just wont ever use it.
Jai, so he's says it's the best tank and he's not allowed to have an opinion? You can't have it both ways because you say you mention a few other tanks that are better and you say "you can't be serious". Why don't you let it be and go talk to your bro on your website. Do you have to come here and brag because someone respects your opinion? He basically told you that you're not comparing apple to apples.

Let's move on and get over it. You didn't prepare and you did things wrong so people got out of hand. Have a great night and I wish you the best.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Jai Haze

Haters Make Me Famous
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Unlisted Vendor
Jai, so he's says it's the best tank and he's not allowed to have an opinion? You can't have it both ways because you say you mention a few other tanks that are better and you say "you can't be serious". Why don't you let it be and go talk to your bro on your website. Do you have to come here and brag because someone respects your opinion? He basically told you that you're not comparing apple to apples.

Let's move on and get over it. You didn't prepare and you did things wrong so people got out of hand. Have a great night and I wish you the best.

how do you expect me not to respond to that. Everytime you mention my name I am going to respond. Because he AGREES with me hes my bro? Once again you have no room to talk because you arent even a donator here. You should be supporting the forum your active in....1482 posts and all you do is contribute your opinions. Someone is really jealous of the people that are my fans. Lemme tell you that. You want to move on but you keep mentioning me. Didnt roxy say leave it alone or they are going to lock her thread? Yet you keep bringing me up

Jai Haze

Haters Make Me Famous
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Unlisted Vendor
lets also note I DIDNT even say best tank in my video, I said I like the cleito better. NOT THE BEST. Irrelevant really...yet again. mr 0 donator. Troll. End of story

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You troll don't you even realize that you came in here talking shit yet again. Came in here and saying thanks bro! You keep coming in here whacked out at 1:37 am? Another all nighter?

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Dude, stop trying to make yourself look good by demeaning the @TheKiddVapes

You are only making yourself look bad by coming in here flaming folks - It does not give a good impression of your business at all

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I just sent about 8-9 bottles to a soldier overseas, sending a Merlin, some juice and another attys to a guy who broke his foot in North. Cal, sending a bottle of a juice to a member who we bid on the same bottle that I won so I'm sending to her....but I don't contribute....

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I just sent about 8-9 bottles to a soldier overseas, sending a Merlin, some juice and another attys to a guy who broke his foot in North. Cal, sending a bottle of a juice to a member who we bid on the same bottle that I won so I'm sending to her....but I don't contribute....

You are one of the nicest people here - don't worry about tiny egos making their businesses look bad by flaming potential customers.

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude, stop trying to make yourself look good by demeaning the @TheKiddVapes

You are only making yourself look bad by coming in here flaming folks - It does not give a good impression of your business at all
Thanks Lucy, he's a nut job, he doesn't even read or remember his own post. He was the one who wrote that, no one said anything about a video.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
To get back on topic - the Merlin is still outproducing my Gem. I'm amazed by it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm new to Cotton Bacon myself. I couldn't wait to try it once I made up my mind to get some, but I also got some Native Wicks at the same time, and they threw in a sample of the Native Wicks Platinum.

I tried that first - man, that stuff wicked well and tasted great for me right off the bat. But it needed rewicking a lot faster than the Japanese organic.

So, I just now busted into the Cotton Bacon - they all have merit, but I'm kind of liking the Cotton Bacon better than the Native Wicks

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I just got into it myself, I really like it, it's clean

Yeah, I made sure I used it in the first Merlin build because I like everything about it so far.

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I realize there's so many variables that can make a difference in your flavor. Ok time bed g'night

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally had a chance to clean and build on my Merlin. Threw one of my rarely made framed staples (because theyre a bitch to make and I usually end up messing it up) at about a 0.35 ohm in a single coil config. Its a nice tank and I can dig it for something different from time to time.

Im much more of a wide open air flow, low ohm, high wattage kinda guy, so even with the pin out and the AFC wide open its still almost suffocatingly tight for me. Its bearable tho, and actually pull a decent vape at 55-60 watts. Might try topping it with a drip tip with air flow and see if that helps it open up a lil. But, thats like, just my opinion, man...or preference, whatever lol.

The actual quality of it is on point. I wish Augvape would have made the Alleria this fit. Mine fits together great and hell, the thing looks sexy as all hell. If this had wide open airflow it might be a contender for the Boreas and Id probably buy 2 or 3 of them lol. Maybe Ill try drilling it out and seeing if that can open it up, if I get the courage.

Still, itll see some use because its something different from my everyday thing. I bought it cause Roxy made it and I just had to have one since everything Augvape has put out as of late has been super nice.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Welp, there is not going to be an end to this fucking mess, and the thread will be in the Mud Pit.

I am no longer going to be a participating member of this forum. If you have a problem that requires my assistance, PM me. I will check PMs at least once per day.

VU Sponsors