Become a Patron!

The Merlin RTA by Augvape and Roxy

Btsmokincat

Member For 4 Years
Looking for suggestions... I was running my Merlin on a Sig 50 which decided to start the dreaded screen scramble. So I'm in the market for a new mod for my Merlin. I'm poor so it needs to be in the sub-$50 range, single 18650, 40 to 80 watts and not a joyetech/wismec/istick device. (I have multiple joy/wis/Istick devices but the shallow 510 doesn't allow the Merlin to sit flush on most. Looking to try something different).

So what mod's working for you?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I read in a different thread, maybe the contest one, that 8 rhymes with the word for luck or something. Not sure I'll get her name right, but @Heartsdelight said it somewhere.
Yes I did, a few post back. In Chinese eight rhymes with great fortune & prosperity. Also if you're into numerology, the Chinese refer to certain numbers as either good luck or bad. So I had said think of the Merlin as your good luck charm you get to carry with you. Like a rabbits tail.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looking for suggestions... I was running my Merlin on a Sig 50 which decided to start the dreaded screen scramble. So I'm in the market for a new mod for my Merlin. I'm poor so it needs to be in the sub-$50 range, single 18650, 40 to 80 watts and not a joyetech/wismec/istick device. (I have multiple joy/wis/Istick devices but the shallow 510 doesn't allow the Merlin to sit flush on most. Looking to try something different).

A D2 or D3 will do the trick.

DavidOH

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Filled the Merlin last night and vaped some. Closed the controls for the night. This morning haft the tank was leaked out. O-rings are all in place and I believe the wick was good. Maybe more wick I use KDG. Got it cleaned up with new wick but I have to go to work so it's going to wait till I have time to use it more and can keep a watch on it. Can't really say how the flavor is due to a bad sore throat. :) Have a good day....:D

gfdeputy2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Vaporesso Target has been very reliable for me. I ended up giving it to my brother to help him quit smoking. He loves it

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I'm using mine an an Evic VTC Mini, and tbh I never even noticed until you posted this that it doesn't sit completely flush. I hadn't noticed the slight overhang either until I started looking to see if it sits flush. Damn you, now I need a new mod.:D

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Filled the Merlin last night and vaped some. Closed the controls for the night. This morning haft the tank was leaked out. O-rings are all in place and I believe the wick was good. Maybe more wick I use KDG. Got it cleaned up with new wick but I have to go to work so it's going to wait till I have time to use it more and can keep a watch on it. Can't really say how the flavor is due to a bad sore throat. :) Have a good day....:D
I haven't been able to make mine leak and I leave the jfc open except when filling it. I've even left it laying on its side for close to an hour. I know you said all the o-rings are in place, but could one of them be bad? If your wicking is good, that would be the only other thing I could think of.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This tank is awesome, and I never vape anything other than a dual coil RTA, really surprised me after I got it built for my wife and took a few pulls. I then proceeded to chain vape it in astonishment at how good the flavor is lol. No dry hits, pretty basic coil set up. 8 wraps of 24g SS 316L. 3.2mm id and its just absolutely a flavor monster. Pulled the air flow restrictor plug deal and its like the perfect vape for wife! Thanks again Roxy, another winner for sure!

jackmormon

Member For 4 Years
I love the Merlin but am wondering about Augvape's QC. My first SS Merlin (SN 0021!!!) the AFC is snug and doesn't move on its own. I received a black and another SS one from SubtankSupply yesterday and the Black one is OK, the AFC is not as tight as the 1st Merlin. But on the SS one the AFC spins freely....It will move just by tilting it. I e-mail SubtankSupply and will see what they say. Hopefully this is only affects a small number of them as I have seen some other posts about it.

All in all though, this is the best RTA design I have ever experienced. It is almost like I can't wick it wrong when it usually takes me a month or two to get wicking down on a new tank. Kudos on the design Roxy!!!

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I love the Merlin but am wondering about Augvape's QC. My first SS Merlin (SN 0021!!!) the AFC is snug and doesn't move on its own. I received a black and another SS one from SubtankSupply yesterday and the Black one is OK, the AFC is not as tight as the 1st Merlin. But on the SS one the AFC spins freely....It will move just by tilting it. I e-mail SubtankSupply and will see what they say. Hopefully this is only affects a small number of them as I have seen some other posts about it.

All in all though, this is the best RTA design I have ever experienced. It is almost like I can't wick it wrong when it usually takes me a month or two to get wicking down on a new tank. Kudos on the design Roxy!!!

We figured that out yesterday. Looks like one assembler used too small of an o ring under the afc. If it's a problem for you, please contact STS.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Let us know when you get home, and I'll help you get it sorted. Properly wicked and all o rings intact it shouldn't leak even sideways.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have the D2, was going to order the D3 but there's no TC for stainless. I guess I'll just have to wait for the Slice to ship.
Yep that was my problem with it or I would have picked up 4 or 5 of them at that price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

F

fckaugust8th

I hear ya'. Maybe the D5 will have TC for stainless. I'll wait and see what the Slice is like, the G2 is really nice but not my carry in the shirt pocket mod.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I e-mail SubtankSupply and will see what they say.
They're supposed to be sending me a new deck altogether. Mine only had 3 post holes drilled out. I sent them a pic, he said they'd mail it out yesterday. I didn't get any shipping info, but I know they were ultra busy, too. Super easy to work with!

Ian91

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Finally received my Merlin yesterday. Roxy, it is as good as you said it would be. Washed it up, coiled and wicked it and have not stopped using it since. The air blocker is perfect for me. I am a straight MTLer and don't use TC. Set up a 26ga kanthal 3mm coil. 6 spaced wraps came out to .9ohm. Am vaping it at 18watts and it is perfect. I went ahead and ordered 2 more from STS. I know they were on sale at eciggity but they charge me $25 to ship it so cheaper from STS. I would rather support them anyway as they seem to be top-notch.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
They're supposed to be sending me a new deck altogether. Mine only had 3 post holes drilled out. I sent them a pic, he said they'd mail it out yesterday. I didn't get any shipping info, but I know they were ultra busy, too. Super easy to work with!

Maybe give him a reminder just in case.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Finally received my Merlin yesterday. Roxy, it is as good as you said it would be. Washed it up, coiled and wicked it and have not stopped using it since. The air blocker is perfect for me. I am a straight MTLer and don't use TC. Set up a 26ga kanthal 3mm coil. 6 spaced wraps came out to .9ohm. Am vaping it at 18watts and it is perfect. I went ahead and ordered 2 more from STS. I know they were on sale at eciggity but they charge me $25 to ship it so cheaper from STS. I would rather support them anyway as they seem to be top-notch.

STS has great prices for international; better than I can do. I would imagine from Hawaii (eciggity) shipping would be very high.

I'm happy you're enjoying your Merlin.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@roxynoodle enough admiring one of mine lol! Going to start building my coil. I looked at your wick tutorial on the first page of this thread, since I'm using rayon should I just follow your pics? Or do I need to thin the tails? As recommended for rayon?
What size id were your coils? What's a good starting id?

Thanks so much! I'm so excited & happy with the Merlins! Waiting for the Boreas to get here. I was suppose to share my 2 with the hubs but I told him they're mine, all mine, get your own!

jackmormon

Member For 4 Years

STS seems like a great vendor. He e-mail me back in about 10 minutes saying that Augvape is sending him some correct sized o-rings and he would be back in contact with me. I kind of like the idea of a user replaceable o-ring on the AFC...Not sure how hard it will be to get apart.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
STS seems like a great vendor. He e-mail me back in about 10 minutes saying that Augvape is sending him some correct sized o-rings and he would be back in contact with me. I kind of like the idea of a user replaceable o-ring on the AFC...Not sure how hard it will be to get apart.
Curious too, how would you get it apart?

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Let me check on that because this deck is very complex, and not user friendly to be pulling apart.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@roxynoodle enough admiring one of mine lol! Going to start building my coil. I looked at your wick tutorial on the first page of this thread, since I'm using rayon should I just follow your pics? Or do I need to thin the tails? As recommended for rayon?
What size id were your coils? What's a good starting id?

Thanks so much! I'm so excited & happy with the Merlins! Waiting for the Boreas to get here. I was suppose to share my 2 with the hubs but I told him they're mine, all mine, get your own!
I thin my tails with rayon, but I'm using high VG, so ymmv!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wicked mine the same as I always do with rayon. I did take mine fully into the cup, but moved it a bit out of the way as to not block the JFC.
So you wicked it tight in the coils, cut at the appropriate length and put fully in the cup but moved it as to not block the jfc? I don't have to thin the tails? Thanks much!

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
TBH I do not recommend taking your deck apart yourself due to the afc o ring. I will discuss this with Leon tonight. Due to how the jfc works, there are a lot of parts in there, and it is not easily disassembled without breaking something.

gfdeputy2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have had great experiences with STS very easy to work with
Roxy next RTA needs to be a mix of the Boreas & the Merlin! I think it will be the absolute perfect RTA
my thoughts so far
Merlin wins for
Flavor, juice consumption, DRIP TIP, aesthetics & JFC, MTL vaping
Boreas wins for
Capacity, build deck(s), AFC, DL vaping, ease/variety for building & wicking
again I don't think there is a wrong way to wick he Boreas I have tried so many different ways & never had an issue
Both are fantastic RTA's
the only thing I have found with my Merlin is Vape gets hot fast
I run my Boreas with duel SS claptons current build .34ohms @ 70W
I have not tried a duel coil yet in the Merlin but running a single Clapton .5 ohm I can't go over 30W
not such a bad thing since my RX200 may last a full day now

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I have had great experiences with STS very easy to work with
Roxy next RTA needs to be a mix of the Boreas & the Merlin! I think it will be the absolute perfect RTA
my thoughts so far
Merlin wins for
Flavor, juice consumption, DRIP TIP, aesthetics & JFC, MTL vaping
Boreas wins for
Capacity, build deck(s), AFC, DL vaping, ease/variety for building & wicking
again I don't think there is a wrong way to wick he Boreas I have tried so many different ways & never had an issue
Both are fantastic RTA's
the only thing I have found with my Merlin is Vape gets hot fast
I run my Boreas with duel SS claptons current build .34ohms @ 70W
I have not tried a duel coil yet in the Merlin but running a single Clapton .5 ohm I can't go over 30W
not such a bad thing since my RX200 may last a full day now

Really? Did you remove the air hole screw? I am able to chain vape one of mine up to 100W.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Merlin wins for...DRIP TIP
Quoting just this point because I want to emphasize that the drip tip is great. I didn't think I'd like it but wanted to try it before swapping it. I really like this drip tip. I think Augvape should consider selling spare Merlin drip tips by themselves, I might want to use it on something else.

TheKiddVapes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Quoting just this point because I want to emphasize that the drip tip is great. I didn't think I'd like it but wanted to try it before swapping it. I really like this drip tip. I think Augvape should consider selling spare Merlin drip tips by themselves, I might want to use it on something else.
I know they would sell a bunch of drip tips by themselves!! Ask them if they want to try it, see what happens, lore freight cost!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors