Become a Patron!

The BOREAS RTA by Augvape and Roxy

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ray, I'm going to need your help doing the upgrade on the HW g2, and probably setting up the kanthal tc.
What OS do you use? and Once upgraded the Kanthal TC is pretty easy to dial in, I made a quick tut on the G2 thread on the second page...Ill get it for you when you need it!

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is the g2 really that good? I have trouble with the aesthetics, which I can get past if the performance is good

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Is the g2 really that good? I have trouble with the aesthetics, which I can get past if the performance is good
Its worth every penny...ask anyone that has owned or used one for more then a couple minutes..I feel its the ONLY Regulated Box worth owning, some would rather have a DNA200 but I like the G2 much much more.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
The only RDA with Bottom Airflow Ive liked is the Magma Reborn, It holds almost 2.5mls of juice in its well WITH WICK in it and 4mm Coils, I can drip blindly and not have to redrip for almost 30 pulls...the Tsunami and other Bottom AFC RDA's I only get 3-4 pulls before rewicking and the Tsunami is maybe 3 if Im lucky...and thats with cotton barely resting on the deck. The needed to cut around the posts and not leave it milled to the edge, this cuts off alot of room that could be used.The Goon could easily be done on the Ruby it wouldnt be once piece but it could be a thread on deck that it the top of the tube....Im sure voltage drop wouldnt be much worse if the threads are clean.

I can flood the well of my Tsunami to go for, 10-12 hits at 165W at .15 ohms. You have to flood it from the center, making sure no liquid gets in the tubes. Also, no spit back from doing this.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
What OS do you use? and Once upgraded the Kanthal TC is pretty easy to dial in, I made a quick tut on the G2 thread on the second page...Ill get it for you when you need it!

Windows 10. I hope that's ok.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Windows 10. I hope that's ok.
You will be perfectly fine with using the normal software from them with that as its loaded for Win10 from the start, it should be plug and play for you. Just make sure to open the software then get it in USB mode after you plug it in.

I can flood the well of my Tsunami to go for, 10-12 hits at 165W at .15 ohms. You have to flood it from the center, making sure no liquid gets in the tubes. Also, no spit back from doing this.
Thats not the case with mine or my builds, I can fill it to the brim or the airflow tubes but still only get a couple draws out of it before the cotton is dry, it could just be the build but I blame the RDA ;)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It is fugly, but we're talking vapocolypse here. And supposedly the board is amazing.
You will get over its looks after a day or 2..I really wish they made a triple 1865p version of it in a flask form with a squonk feed,,,,it would be a ridiculously sexy beast and I would buy 10 of them. I wish they made a 521 Tab Master with the Chip also...

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Just a heads up, you can get a TCR curve for Kanthal and get roughly the same TC effect with a DNA or SX350J-V2 board that you get with the G2, since all three use TCR + E Ping. The main issue I have with the G2 is 'XXX' mode, which is a variable mode supposedly for all metals, this is not the case, it's just a free floating TCR curve that limits you to basically what's already on the device, plus the rarely used platinum wire. I think with 8 modes on the DNA200 with a little Escribe magic you can get more range off a DNA, but, this is the nature of an Evolv lover speaking.

Seriously though, if anyone wants me to tear a G2 board out of a G2 mod and put it in something else, I will. It will cost, the mod + the parts + my time though, just a heads up on that as well.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just a heads up, you can get a TCR curve for Kanthal and get roughly the same TC effect with a DNA or SX350J-V2 board that you get with the G2, since all three use TCR + E Ping.
That would be nice if they weren't as expensive as they are...but I guess you can atleast buy those boards individually...

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
It would be cool if HohmWrecker sold the G2 board by itself, I may actually OWN a G2 mod if this was the case. That old school Sigelei inspired box is hideous. I'm tempted to steal my own idea and tear the board out of the stock enclosure and put it in a CNC case just for shits and giggles.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
My only worry is once I get the board out, since it isn't a 'modder' board, there's NO fucking telling what HohmTech has done with this board. There could be stupidly wired connections to the sled that I have to get on my surgeon-soldering cap for. It's definitely something I can do, it's just a big variable. Anytime you take a board MEANT for only a retail box out of that box there's usually some stipulation to getting it out of the box. IPV's wire the sled into the entire back-casing of the mod, Sigelei literally uses the same color wires for every connection and labels NOTHING on the board, etc.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My only worry is once I get the board out, since it isn't a 'modder' board, there's NO fucking telling what HohmTech has done with this board. There could be stupidly wired connections to the sled that I have to get on my surgeon-soldering cap for. It's definitely something I can do, it's just a big variable. Anytime you take a board MEANT for only a retail box out of that box there's usually some stipulation to getting it out of the box. IPV's wire the sled into the entire back-casing of the mod, Sigelei literally uses the same color wires for every connection and labels NOTHING on the board, etc.
Its pretty simple inside the box, Ive dissected it myself and its exactly the same as this picture with a aluminum shield over it and it slides into cut out shelving, same goes for the battery prices.:
wrecker-g2.jpg

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Individually wired buttons for wattage ON the board itself, yet the pos near the button goes directly to the 510 pos. Interesting choice, simply because of how fucking simple it is. I'm used to there being 1-6 pins on boards where individual wiring goes. This one is just, as basic as basic gets.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
So is the USB tethered to the board like a DNA or is the USB port wired TO the board? That's the only thing I'm unsure of at this point.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So is the USB tethered to the board like a DNA or is the USB port wired TO the board? That's the only thing I'm unsure of at this point.
Its on the Chip itself, its where the 2 silver/white squares towards the bottom of the chip, it faces towards you and its protected behind the battery door.

Ill take the shield off tomorrow and take a closer pic for you of the board

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I'd likely tear it off and mount a USB 2.0 input port somewhere on the board if I thought I could, but since they're likely fixed it in with pins that won't be possible. So I'd have to cut an interesting part of the box for the USB mount.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'd likely tear it off and mount a USB 2.0 input port somewhere on the board if I thought I could, but since they're likely fixed it in with pins that won't be possible. So I'd have to cut an interesting part of the box for the USB mount.
or a 90 degree adapter ;)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't for the life of me figure out why they have to plaster the H2 box with all that crap....it's hard to believe anyone would actually say wow, this looks fantastic. But I bought one anyway....if Ray says it works well that's good enough for me, plus the price was right, $40 bucks...paid more for RX200's with shipping.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I can't for the life of me figure out why they have to plaster the H2 box with all that crap....it's hard to believe anyone would actually say wow, this looks fantastic. But I bought one anyway....if Ray says it works well that's good enough for me, plus the price was right, $40 bucks...paid more for RX200's with shipping.
BPROSEK's G2? Hes the man! You wont regret picking it up!

But Im heading to bed.. see you guys in the morning!

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor

When Phil was quite literally 99% of the way to sucking the cock of the HohmTech guy in that video he made RIGHT AFTER bashing the box, no offense Ray not speaking to the mod just how Phil magically changed his opinion overnight when he's supposed to put lots of time into these products beforehand a few 'tips and tricks' wouldn't just make vanish, the HohmTech guy mentioned REALLY, REALLY liking the old school Sigelei literal 'box' design and they shaped the HohmWrecker box after that, then first it was resistance 'omega' style symbols, then it was changed to male/female binary gender symbols. No idea why they thought that was a good idea, that box is hideous, I don't care how good/bad the board is, that box is a failure that's stopped me from giving the mod a fair chance.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
It leaves two possibilities, one or the other or maybe both.

1. Phil did a shit job as a reviewer and did not spend enough time with the mod before giving his review and did not learn how to use it properly. HOWEVER, given that (and I see through this bullshit, not just because I'm an Electrical Engineer but because I'm a sensible human being who knows the tools he uses in his videos are neither expensive or hard to operate) he is widely 'seen' as the technical guy of reviewing things. Like I just said, the 'technical' aspects he looks at are in all reality very easy to measure and the tools aren't widely expensive. But that's his 'thing', so I doubt it's this one.

Then that leaves the more likely occurrence:

2. Phil did a shit job as a human being. He saw personal fault with this device, rather this reflected upon his own personal, biased opinion or not is largely irrelevant. As I said, ten minutes with the manufacturer is not going to make the 'technical guy' of vaping reviews see something he did not previously. He had problems with the mod, but since it was GOOD FOR HIM as a status symbol, financially or who the fuck knows, he magically changed his opinion when the rep showed up and basically sucked the guys dick for nearly an hour. I think this is likely what happened. Hell it could be BOTH.

This being said is irrelevant to the mod itself, I just think it's uglier than sin.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I paid less for it than my original Sigelei 100W (which is better looking.) Maybe there are wraps for it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It looks like those frigging logo's are indented or raised on the surface...hopefully flat so I can rid the box of the outrageous design.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I paid less for it than my original Sigelei 100W (which is better looking.) Maybe there are wraps for it.
JWraps makes Wraps for the G2 but I think they only cover the flat sides, You could have someone sandblast the box then fill in everything with body filler and have it sanded smooth.

It leaves two possibilities, one or the other or maybe both.

1. Phil did a shit job as a reviewer and did not spend enough time with the mod before giving his review and did not learn how to use it properly. HOWEVER, given that (and I see through this bullshit, not just because I'm an Electrical Engineer but because I'm a sensible human being who knows the tools he uses in his videos are neither expensive or hard to operate) he is widely 'seen' as the technical guy of reviewing things. Like I just said, the 'technical' aspects he looks at are in all reality very easy to measure and the tools aren't widely expensive. But that's his 'thing', so I doubt it's this one.

Then that leaves the more likely occurrence:

2. Phil did a shit job as a human being. He saw personal fault with this device, rather this reflected upon his own personal, biased opinion or not is largely irrelevant. As I said, ten minutes with the manufacturer is not going to make the 'technical guy' of vaping reviews see something he did not previously. He had problems with the mod, but since it was GOOD FOR HIM as a status symbol, financially or who the fuck knows, he magically changed his opinion when the rep showed up and basically sucked the guys dick for nearly an hour. I think this is likely what happened. Hell it could be BOTH.

This being said is irrelevant to the mod itself, I just think it's uglier than sin.
If you watch Phils first video you do see him remove and replace hot Atomizers over and over and thats why it never worked. He should have re-calibrated the Box every time he removed the Atomizer after it cooled to room temp, on top of that he had 2 boxes that were* defective but continued to make a review despite being told he would receive the production unit later...I put that all on Phildo and chock it up that he didnt want to see it successful at first.
The Cotton Burn Tests showed that the box does what they intend it to do when its not firing at all but it wasnt dialed in correctly and thats why there were no changes despite his efforts to change the settings, there are literally thousands of cotton burn tests and other videos proving that it works when set up correctly..just because one person did a video that has alot of credit in the vaping community and didnt get it to work doesnt mean that it doesnt....I feel he should have waited for the production unit and then learn how to use it, then do the review. He made it out to be super difficult to learn or tune in but Ive taught atleast 30 people on this forum in a few sentences how to use it correctly....and Im no genius or amazing teacher.

Last edited:

Azriel Mysterious

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When Phil was quite literally 99% of the way to sucking the cock of the HohmTech guy in that video he made RIGHT AFTER bashing the box, no offense Ray not speaking to the mod just how Phil magically changed his opinion overnight when he's supposed to put lots of time into these products beforehand a few 'tips and tricks' wouldn't just make vanish, the HohmTech guy mentioned REALLY, REALLY liking the old school Sigelei literal 'box' design and they shaped the HohmWrecker box after that, then first it was resistance 'omega' style symbols, then it was changed to male/female binary gender symbols. No idea why they thought that was a good idea, that box is hideous, I don't care how good/bad the board is, that box is a failure that's stopped me from giving the mod a fair chance.
Who is Phil? And what mod is that? (I haven't been keeping up with devices or reviewers. It's been years since I followed any of that shit.)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Who is Phil? And what mod is that? (I haven't been keeping up with devices or reviewers. It's been years since I followed any of that shit.)
Phil is a highly popular reviewer and alot of people lean everything on what he says because usually he is the most in depth and tests everything.
The Hohm Wrecker G2 is the only mod that TC's Kanthal and every other metal, even them combined.

DavidOH

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Looks like you all may have helped me pick my next mod. I could live with the logos if it's all one color. But I'm not in a hurry because I really like my Fuchai 200W TC. Some don't like the shape of it but I find it to be very comfortable.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Looks like you all may have helped me pick my next mod. I could live with the logos if it's all one color. But I'm not in a hurry because I really like my Fuchai 200W TC. Some don't like the shape of it but I find it to be very comfortable.

I won one in a contest not long ago - I find it a little big for my hands, but I'm a smaller person and it's not a deal breaker

Works fine for my needs though, wish it was just a smidge deeper so the tiny overhang on the Boreas would disappear

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, that G2 is only 23mm wide (I believe) that is the very reason I did not buy it. I want my Boreas to fit my recent mods. One reason I got the Sig 213 is that it fits my Boreas. I wish the RX200 had moved the 510 connection back a couple of mm 213.JPG

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I just cannot get behind the design of the 213. The silver one is MUCH better looking than the gold, but that firing button looks like it was made to cater only to left handed people and it's just.. eh.

Also, with correct curves a DNA or SX can do TC with any other metal and combined metals as well. I find the DNA200 to be extremely capable of running hybrid TC builds with NiFe-30 and 430SS.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I just cannot get behind the design of the 213. The silver one is MUCH better looking than the gold, but that firing button looks like it was made to cater only to left handed people and it's just.. eh.

Also, with correct curves a DNA or SX can do TC with any other metal and combined metals as well. I find the DNA200 to be extremely capable of running hybrid TC builds with NiFe-30 and 430SS.
Yes but you have to use a pc to set it up specifically for each of them....with the G2 you set to xXx mode and adjust FSK and your done, its more independent and user friendly. You only need a PC for updates, but I do wish they would allow graphic and customization...which I guess I could do anyways if I had enough spare time.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Yes but you have to use a pc to set it up specifically for each of them....with the G2 you set to xXx mode and adjust FSK and your done, its more independent and user friendly. You only need a PC for updates, but I do wish they would allow graphic and customization...which I guess I could do anyways if I had enough spare time.

I don't know, I don't see fucking with settings for 15 minutes more user friendly than just downloading or making a curve and uploading it to the device, which takes 5-10 minutes. Just because you can do it all FROM the mod doesn't necessarily make it user friendly, the G2 is actually one of the mods I see as being the 'most work' type of situation.

Plus once a curve on a profile is on a DNA, it's THERE, no more playing with settings if you got it right, just switch profiles which can be done from the mod, fast. The G2 cannot do this.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I don't know, I don't see fucking with settings for 15 minutes more user friendly than just downloading or making a curve and uploading it to the device, which takes 5-10 minutes. Just because you can do it all FROM the mod doesn't necessarily make it user friendly, the G2 is actually one of the mods I see as being the 'most work' type of situation.

Plus once a curve on a profile is on a DNA, it's THERE, no more playing with settings if you got it right, just switch profiles which can be done from the mod, fast. The G2 cannot do this.
The settings are just to calibrate it to the specific Tank/RDA/Build, it doesnt take that long, usually around 49% FSK would be a good start then its only a few percent from there, maybe 2 minutes of play after you understand it. Some people done walk around with their computers on hand you have to see if from more then your own perspective.

The Profile thing is correct but that is upcoming so Im told.

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

To each his own Mikhail! Although I have never fired this with my left hand. It feels totally natural in the right hand to me. The firing button is in the center of one edge. I use my thumb to fire, not a 'gripper' finger type action.

I am really looking at a G2 to pair up to my black Merlin when it arrives. Or maybe the HCigar VT133 DNA 200. Looking for reviews on it. I am assuming it is a real DNA200? Maybe

xvt133black.jpg.pagespeed.ic.oNb3uSwO03.jpg

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
To each his own Mikhail! Although I have never fired this with my left hand. It feels totally natural in the right hand to me. The firing button is in the center of one edge. I use my thumb to fire, not a 'gripper' finger type action.

I am really looking at a G2 to pair up to my black Merlin when it arrives. Or maybe the HCigar VT133 DNA 200. Looking for reviews on it. I am assuming it is a real DNA200? Maybe

View attachment 51083
Just picked up a Vt133 here. At that price it was a no brainer. They also have the G2 for under $70.

http://www.ecig.com/hcigar-vt133-200w-dna-box-mod.html?___SID=U

http://www.ecig.com/hohm-wrecker-g2.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

DP2Raja

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks Deuce, that was where I was looking at both of those as well. The price one either of them is much lower than most other places.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
The settings are just to calibrate it to the specific Tank/RDA/Build, it doesnt take that long, usually around 49% FSK would be a good start then its only a few percent from there, maybe 2 minutes of play after you understand it. Some people done walk around with their computers on hand you have to see if from more then your own perspective.

The Profile thing is correct but that is upcoming so Im told.

Profiles have been on DNA200's and 75's since each board's release my man.

View attachment 51083

The 133 is just a two cell configuration of a DNA200. It caps it at 133 Watts, 6V output. There's now also the DNA75, a boost/buck chip with 85% efficiency, going from a buck only system like the 97% efficient DNA200 cost some battery use efficiency but, it's the single cell response to the DNA from Evolv. Now there's one for every vaper. A single cell DNA75, a dual cell DNA133 and a three cell DNA200.

Keep in mind the DNA133 is still the DNA200 board, while the DNA75 is a smaller board made exclusively for single cell (or parallel) 4.2V applications. It's a boost/buck chip, the 133/200 is buck only.

VU Sponsors