Become a Patron!

Squonkers are Bonkers

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes arcing is the sparks seen or unseen that happen as the switch contact is either making or breaking contact with the 510 center post assembly.

And yes it typically leaves little burn marks. these burn makes need to be cleaned off, if left they will cause worse arcing and poor performance.
You can use some very fine 320-400 sandpaper to clean the marks off. clean with a bit of alcohol after sanding.

One caution. If your contacts are silver plated you may go thru the silver coating (very thin) with the sanding if not careful. Removing the silver plating will cause worsening arcing conditions.
Light and gentle sanding with a bit of water on the sandpaper.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
And I took that pic of the contacts after scrubbing it down with an alcohol swab

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
yes arcing is the sparks seen or unseen that happen as the switch contact if either mking or breaking contact with the 510 center post assembly.

And yes it typically leaves little burn marks. these burn makes need to be cleaned off, if left they will cause worse arcing and poor performance.
You can use some very fine 320-400 sandpaper to clean the marks off. clean with a bit of alcohol after sanding.
So I got a bunch of arcing because I had the wrong squonk bottle. Is this something to try to return and replace the mod / is this something you would try to fix would you try bending the metal and cleaning it on your own...

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I got a bunch of arcing because I had the wrong squonk bottle. Is this something to try to return and replace the mod / is this something you would try to fix would you try bending the metal and cleaning it on your own...

Cleaning and adjusting contacts is a normal maintenance item with mechs.
And why I like switchfet type mods better.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
When I had an 18650 battery in there with the supplied squonk bottle, there was no Arcane. When I used a 20650 battery with the supplied squonk bottle, it tensed up, it arced, and it screwed up the inner rim of silver connections all around the inside perimeter of the mod. But I don't notice a performance drop off whatsoever and I wouldn't have cared about the little black marks if I hadn't read about you guys caring about that. What bothers me is how it's affected the firing button and that it feels like it's catching something after I fire the mod.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not familiar with that particular mod so cannot comment on a sticky switch button or other things particular to that mod.

Maybe juice buildup around the button?

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

If you're concerned with a Metal Capped bottle causing issues, use anything (Shrink Tube, Black tape etc. ) and isolate the part of the bottle that comes in contact with your contact ;)

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It's just that my brand new mod was damaged by the supplied squonker bottle... There's a difference between a routine maintenance and fixing something that wasn't sent to you correctly. So the arcing tlc seems like routine maintenance.

I don't know if I can adequately explain the problem with the button without handing someone my mod and then feeling it for themselves

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Not familiar with that particular mod so cannot comment on a sticky switch button or other things particular to that mod.

Maybe juice buildup around the button?
I doubt that it's juice build up because it's seems overwhelmingly clear that the button worked great before I had to push way too hard on it to get it to work before I found out that I had the wrong squonk bottle. If something's not supposed to work a certain way and you push really hard on it for it to work because you don't know how much tension you're supposed to give it, that's a big way help people break new items.

But it wasn't because of user error.

So for me to just fix the contacts on my own which is invariably going to be worse than how it came as the factory a couple days ago before it got damaged by being used with the supplied squonk bottle. Routine maintenance is on me

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And why I like switchfet type mods better.
Me too less fuss ,
Less cleaning ,
No arching. An hits just the same or such little difference thats it not noticeable ,

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
If you're concerned with a Metal Capped bottle causing issues, use anything (Shrink Tube, Black tape etc. ) and isolate the part of the bottle that comes in contact with your contact ;)
More than just that. The supplied squonk bottle and a 20650 battery only fit by putting significant pressure against the surrounding infrastructure of the mod.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Though I think that was part of the problem too. So good catch and thank you

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me too less fuss ,
Less cleaning ,
No arching. An hits just the same or such little difference thats it not noticeable ,

Per my tests a Pico Squeeze hits lots harder than a Pulse BF mod.
If properly wired a switchfet mod has very minimal voltage drop.
Also hits harder than a Coppervape (recently cleaned)
And I likes my coppervapes but they are sitting on the shelf since I got Pico Squeeze.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It's firing really well I'm just concerned you guys seem to indicate that the arcing can be bad Beyond cosmetic and I don't understand why

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More than just that. The supplied squonk bottle and a 20650 battery only fit by putting significant pressure against the surrounding infrastructure of the mod.

Yep a problem in many 'plastic' mods.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
And I likes my coppervapes but they are sitting on the shelf since I got Pico Squeeze.
Does the squeeze cut you off at 50 Watts?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does the squeeze cut you off at 50 Watts?

Nope but that is the recommended maximum wattage.
Might not last too long if ran above 50w much.
But in a test ran mine to close to 70 W for a brief test.
I suspect that the wiring and switchfet are rated for 50W maximum.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's firing really well I'm just concerned you guys seem to indicate that the arcing can be bad Beyond cosmetic and I don't understand why

If you have bad arc spots or even pits caused by arcing like mine, it causes massive voltage drop. For me, it wasn't even usable anymore because the hit wasn't satisfying.

From what i've seen, the Armageddons are known for arcing and i'm not sure that using a different battery or bottle caused your issue. Its just that your mod was brand new and it takes awhile for arcing to show up. However, if your fire button was harder to press and as a result of the larger battery/bottle, that could have hastened the arcing by just hovering the contact by the 510 and not actually making a solid connection.

If the arcing doesnt bother you, then I wouldnt worry about it. Just make sure to clean it every week so it doesn't get too bad.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The Arcing happened the first day. It didn't happen for the first 30 minutes of use with a 18650 battery and then happened immediately once I put it in the 20650 battery

I just wiped it down with alcohol little bit but I'll give it a deeper clean. I'm not looking for voltage drop

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Arcing happened the first day. It didn't happen for the first 30 minutes of use with a 18650 battery and then happened immediately once I put it in the 20650 battery

I just wiped it down with alcohol little bit but I'll give it a deeper clean. I'm not looking for voltage drop

damn, that's quick! what ohms you running at?

The fire button is really stiff and i think that adds to the problem. Idk if that's something that comes with silver plated copper or the way the contact is bent.

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I sold my Coppervape on after
I Modified my NCV2s could tell the difference right away between them.

It fires nicely with a small drop as volts go down ,
Right until cut off at 3.2V
And hits as good as my Stabwood fet sqounker
can at least turn it off for safe pocket carry cant on my fet sqounker.
The wismec PCB in NC v2 is pretty good in single cell.

So can see the luxotic being ok too , theres a new release of the switchfet pcb to , 2.5 i think now .
NC v2
Was designed for the Parrarel for extra battery life, or series VV
but works
Perfectly fine as a Sqounker in single cell,
being tall can at least get the dinky plus bottles in for more capacity , 7.2ml maybe if could find one a tab bit taller might squeeze in another ml
The 5ml dinky usually has 2 refills per cell, so not bad
Probably not much different to the pico.
Apart from no onboard Charging
An no top battery cap .

Im sure this PCB could easily be put into another mod frame for a series /adjustable VV sqounker setup for thoese who want more power but im only using single coils so build accordingly no need for more power ,

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Holy crap it doesn't how did I not know that why wasn't that the first squonker I bought

A lot of us who have bought more expensive mods are pretty much in agreement that the Pico Squeeze is the best bang for your buck.

I have one which I use as a beater, others use as their daily, many of us have more in route, some have a stock pile.

50w is a lot and more than adequate for many vapers...minus the CloudsBroClouds crowd.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Holy crap it doesn't how did I not know that why wasn't that the first squonker I bought

Several reviewers presented the Pico Squeeze as having a 50W cutoff. Said it was regulated to 50W.
A common misconception.

However it may not last long if operated very long above 50W.

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Took me couple of years lol but I figured out you can spend 30 on a setup and when you push the button it makes Vapor you can also spend 200 on a setup and when you push the button Vapor comes out. Some look better or built better but.....

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

sbankme

Member For 3 Years
Got my Hugo Squeezer vapemail yesterday. The Squeezer is a nice step up from the Pulse BF as mostly everyone here seems to agree. Fit & Finish is great for the price. It hits harder, my AmpKing 20700 battery seems to last longer (I assume due to less/no voltage drop). Feels good in the hand. Could pass as 3D-printed if I didn't know better. The 2 cons that jump out after one day of use: Bottles WAY too damn soft. One good push and it barely decompresses, even after a number of minutes. The rectangular hole could be a little wider. Just swapped the bottle out for a Vandyvape bottle from the Pulse which I thought also seemed a tad too soft, but far better than the Hugo-supplied bottles. The Hugo tube is wider, so I had to use that tube in the Vandyvape bottle to get it to fit on the mod.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The arc spots are carbonized and do not conduct electricity as well as a not carbonized area.
And if they do not conduct electricity as well then more voltage drop and worse arcing will happen until the mod no longer works properly and also heat is generated by the arc.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Material you think is better? Alumide?

I do like alumide squonks.ive got 3. I like that you can dye them if the original color isn't too dark. The toaster mod went from grey to purple. The anchor mod will stay red but I may dye the door another color. I'll probably leave the biohaz mod the same grey color. Love the way the alumides feel in hand too though

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got a black wasp last week. I have one from when they first came out and the new one vapes different. Think I figured it out. There's a gap under pos terminal. Getting more air I think. Anyone else have this?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got a black wasp last week. I have one from when they first came out and the new one vapes different. Think I figured it out. There's a gap under pos terminal. Getting more air I think. Anyone else have this?

All of mine seem to have a gap under the positive terminal.
But I was a latecomer to the Wasp game.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dang... Vaping some juice I made who knows when, very tasty.

Was a surprise though, I reuse bottles after cleaning from The Sauce LA, and other places when they have really decent sales... I normally vape the same juice, vanilla bourbon and what I thought was the VB was some strawberry mix I made... I got a whiff of it after 3/4 of the bottle was filled and said, oh dang this isn't VB.

I don't even know if I added Nic to it...good palate cleanse I suppose lol

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Floris finally accepted a pic to engrave. Just a silhouette of ally's black standard poodle.

Thoughts? It's not as grand as I had hoped.

297f161bd6f27d3afe8e92e9c5fa306f.jpg
2ff9e0d1affa92b19c80777694621620.jpg

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The first one I got was tight all around. On the last wasp I got I noticed the same thing. A little gap under the pos side. Thought maybe it was just me at first. More airflow though you're correct

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
damn, that's quick! what ohms you running at?

The fire button is really stiff and i think that adds to the problem. Idk if that's something that comes with silver plated copper or the way the contact is bent.
For some reason what I'm trying to communicate as getting lost in translation to everyone LOL.

When putting a 20650 battery and the squonk bottle in my mod, I had to push very hard on the button to get it to fire. I later found out that the bottle is what was causing problems. But the problem is that there's now a secondary problems with the way that the contacts were bent and the integrity of the fire switch

VU Sponsors