Become a Patron!

Samsung says that sales of it's batteries for vaping is illegal.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't see a law successfully passed that would make single cells illegal to cell or possess. Maybe OEM cells, but not consumer-labeled single cells.

Personally, as someone who rarely goes over 4 amps when I vape, I could use a Trusfire batt and be OK. :giggle:

I know that a lot of other vapers can't do that, just sayin', though.
As long as you do not buy those 9,000 mah chinese 18650's LOL

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Oh no. Never. But I have no problems using Trustfire batts if it came down to it. I mean, they do have the word "trust" right in their brand name. That's gotta mean something, right? :D

Yeah, and if you read it on the Internet, it must be true. :p

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The conspiracy theorist in me is shaking her head, saying, I just don't see how this whole situation (meaning "The Trouble With Vaping") could have played out like it has, and continues to, without some BIG bigwig, somewhere, having his thumbs on all the players, moving them around at carefully pre-determined times.

A mystical being that controls everything in the universe could not have designed it better.

Taking one more step farther onto the plank....the coronavirus is part of it...

I'll take my meds now and go on to bed.

First Deeming, then the “vaping illness”, then bans, and now corona leading to Chinese factories not working. Could it have come together any more badly for vaping?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh no. Never. But I have no problems using Trustfire batts if it came down to it. I mean, they do have the word "trust" right in their brand name. That's gotta mean something, right? :D

Just ignore the Fire part of the name!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seems like I had some trustfire 18500's way back when...
I also vaped with reclaimed laptop battery pack cells for a while when I vaped under 15W.
Being a technical type I always looked up the specs for the cells though and vaped within their tolerances.
Most of them if you push them too hard they will just flatline on you and provide no vapor anyway.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Seems like I had some trustfire 18500's way back when...
I also vaped with reclaimed laptop battery pack cells for a while when I vaped under 15W.
Being a technical type I always looked up the specs for the cells though and vaped within their tolerances.

Seriously, though. I have vaped with Trustfires before. That was when I first started vaping 18650 mods. I'm still here. But I don't every tell others to do it. Because, well, you never know who that other person is...

The dude had a dual batt mod and the batts weren't making contact. So he placed 2 coins on the end of each batt. The coins made contact with each other, shorted...and the dude made vaping history.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seriously, though. I have vaped with Trustfires before. That was when I first started vaping 18650 mods. I'm still here. But I don't every tell others to do it. Because, well, you never know who that other person is...

The dude had a dual batt mod and the batts weren't making contact. So he placed 2 coins on the end of each batt. The coins made contact with each other, shorted...and the dude made vaping history.
yep like I do not generally tell people to use recycled laptop cells.
However if one is careful and KNOWS what they are doing it can be as safe as using any battery.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would be doable to rig up a power supply with a round battery sized slug that would provide usable voltage and current with no sag or runtime issues. Most people would not probably be able to do that though and it would need a wall plug.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

FREAKIN SMOK!!! Too bad he wasn't using a decent mod so this couldn't have happened.

A couple things here. I'm not calling somebody who use dimes like this "a veteran vaper." That is monumentally noobified.

Also, Mooch demonstrated that dropping our batteries in water will not cause them to explode at all.

Still a useful video though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would be doable to rig up a power supply with a round battery sized slug that would provide usable voltage and current with no sag or runtime issues. Most people would not probably be able to do that though and it would need a wall plug.
Not comfortable putting anything connected to a wall plug in contact with my lips....
and to provide 20 amps or so at 3+ volts will be a big wall plug.
The 18650's we use do really have a very high energy density. the main reason they can act violently if shorted or otherwise abused.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
FREAKIN SMOK!!! Too bad he wasn't using a decent mod so this couldn't have happened.

A couple things here. I'm not calling somebody who use dimes like this "a veteran vaper." That is monumentally noobified.

Also, Mooch demonstrated that dropping our batteries in water will not cause them to explode at all.

Not so much useful but illustrative of "that person" that one might be dealing with.

Definitely not a veteran and definitely not a victim of "bad luck" that's for sure...well, unless you call one's stupidity bad luck, of course lol.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not comfortable putting anything connected to a wall plug in contact with my lips....
and to provide 20 amps or so at 3+ volts will be a big wall plug.
The 18650's we use do really have a very high energy density. the main reason they can act violently if shorted or otherwise abused.
I was just thinking out loud about something like a switching PC power supply. A regular 3 prong molex cord. Not even a wall wart actually. A 3.3, a 5 and at least one 12 volt rail. The 3.3 and 5 volt rails can push 25 amps, or more.

It could be done safely, but not ideal for sure.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was just thinking out loud about something like a switching PC power supply. A regular 2 prong molex cord. Not even a wall wart actually. A 3.3, a 5 and at least one 12 volt rail. The 3.3 and 5.5 volt rails can push 25 amps, or more.

It could be done safely, but not ideal for sure.
yep can be done safely and not for a non technician type at all.

Yep have an old PC power supply I am using on my bench. Made a nice case for it and am running an adjustable 15 amp buck boost module with adjustable current limit off of the +12V with a digital voltage/current display built into the case. Can run about 1.5 volts to around 35V I think it is.
Heck I used it a few weeks ago to charge my lawnmower battery :)
And of course have all the fixed voltages brought out to banana binding posts.

also plan on using it to silver plate mod parts...

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yep can be done safely and not for a non technician type at all.

Yep have an old PC power supply I am using on my bench. Made a nice case for it and am running an adjustable 15 amp buck boost module with adjustable current limit off of the +12V with a digital voltage/current display built into the case. Can run about 1.5 volts to around 35V I think it is.
Heck I used it a few weeks ago to charge my lawnmower battery :)
And of course have all the fixed voltages brought out to banana binding posts.

also plan on using it to silver plate mod parts...
Now ya got me thinking some more.
Instead of making dummy battery slugs out of like dowel rod or something, just solder the positive and negative to a 510 connector with a meaty momentary switch between the PSU and the 510. Mount it on some hand held contraption and you have a decidedly non-portable mod of sorts. One could run straight off the 5 volt rail getting... well... 5 volts, and whatever amperage that rail is capable of. Unregulated, but kinda protected by the internal protections of the PSU.

OR, somebody could do what you've done and make it into a variable voltage franken-mod thing. OR a few other variations as well. There is some merit here and it has me intrigued.

However, you would want a very high quality, high output name brand PSU for this. No featherweight 29 dollar special here.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Ha. Yeah, me too. The one and only battery I ever had to swell up and get hot as hell was a Trustfire. It almost vented. That was the end of that for me.

I just bought 5 more Samsungs, the 25S (25A, 2500mAh) is on sale at 18650BatteryStore.com for $3.99. Their shipping rates are more reasonable than the other places, too. You just don't get a nifty flashlight or fan, which is ok by me.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just bought 5 more Samsungs, the 25S (25A, 2500mAh) is on sale at 18650BatteryStore.com for $3.99. Their shipping rates are more reasonable than the other places, too. You just don't get a nifty flashlight or fan, which is ok by me.

I saw that, but I ended up buying 5 more LG HG2 batts for $3.50 at Liionwholesale. Total for 5 was a buck or so less than 5 Samsung 25S batts at 18650batterystore. And I got a free 21700 flashlight last time, so maybe I'll get another? lol

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Hmm, he got his just deserts, it seems.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

I left a kinda nasty comment at YT, though. :teehee:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Not so much useful but illustrative of "that person" that one might be dealing with.

Definitely not a veteran and definitely not a victim of "bad luck" that's for sure...well, unless you call one's stupidity bad luck, of course lol.

I’m wondering if he was so broke that he couldn’t afford a replacement mod or something. But the vape shop owner was really pretty ignorant, too.
And people like this can affect things for vapers like us!!

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’m wondering if he was so broke that he couldn’t afford a replacement mod or something. But the vape shop owner was really pretty ignorant, too.
And people like this can affect things for vapers like us!!

I understand. And that's why I am of the opinion that some people are just better off smoking.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

he may have been vaping a while and just had good luck up till then?
But yes not someone I would call a veteran vaper.
His luck still held though he still has a face.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
he may have been vaping a while and just had good luck up till then?
But yes not someone I would call a veteran vaper.
His luck still held though he still has a face.

Which he was avoiding showing on camera. VU has spoiled me, since I’d forgotten there are dumbass people like that vaping out there!

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like a fear tactic, the whole 'it's illegal to use our batteries for..'. Bitch please, if I bought them, they're mine. I'll build the biggest damn dildo out of an f-350 dually if that's what I want to do with it, then fuck samsung up the ass with it. That shit may work in other lands but not in the US, companies don't get to dictate how you use their product after purchase. I bet more people use 18650 flashlights, tool packs, scooters, ebikes etc than those who buy those shitty broke down tesla cars lmao.

Maybe running their mouth about it gives them peace of mind that they warned everyone and 'did their part' but honestly, when's the last news story of anyone blowing themselves up with a vape? All that seemed to die down prior to the evali bullshit, when the exploding battery hysteria wasn't enough to unseat vaping they went another route. Now they're all consumed with coronavirus, slacking beer sales and tp shortages. Morons.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You missed and are now making my point. (I think)
Stopping the free flow of an item that requires astronomically expensive, precise specialty manufacturing is far easier to accomplish than stopping the proliferation of alcoholic beverages which some people still make themselves to this day. And many times of high quality. In times past I have myself sampled home distilled grain and corn liquor made in the hills of Kentucky. Not to mention homemade beer and wine. NObody can produce lithium ion batteries at their residence.

There are a relative handful of companies worldwide that are capable of producing batteries that anybody should want to use for vaping. Fairly easy for them to control where their product is distributed.

There were thousands of sources for alcoholic beverages in the 1920s. Many (probably most) were not too concerned about where their product went and it was used the exact same way by everybody that ended up with it. There's only one design for beverages. You drink them. And regardless of who drinks them where, aside from some who drink too much of it, the result is the same.

Not so with batteries. They design them for one application and we use them for another. Politicians and their advisors may be lowlifes, but they are not stupid. They will certainly make this fact a selling point for their restrictions.

I'm saying that there is far more potential danger from batteries than there ever was, even from poorly made alcohol. That seems to be what you're saying above. There's also some evidence that intentionally tainted products played a role in whatever health issues may have been related to alcohol consumption during the prohibition era. The manufacturers of our batteries never do that. On top of all this, no actually hard numbers are available anyway, so who really knows?

For the reasons I've just given, the bottom line is that they CAN virtually kill the distribution of our batteries if they put their minds to it. With this much money at stake. They will. That was never possible with alcohol and it was spectacularly naive for anybody to ever believe it was.
I disagree. Your point was that nobody died from drinking tainted alcohol during Prohibition, when the reality is that there were so many deaths the morally conscious even went as far as to call it legal murder and had to put an end to Prohibition as a result. Further, your assertion that all the people who use loose cells (not just vapers, but everyone who does) won't be able to still source loose cells from places like China or Southeast Asia with relative ease after a ban, is based on nothing but thin air. Where there's profit to be made from illegal import, illegal import will ensue. The inspectors simply can not check every package entering U.S. territory. Further, cells will be harvested from battery packs BOTH by people who harvest them without damaging the cells AND by people who do damage them internally in such a way that damage may be not visible on the outside of the cell, which poses a real threat if they sell these to uneducated buyers. As for the intentionally tainted alcohol, what makes you think that people who will illegally sell loose cells after a ban won't ALSO be capable to cause internal damage to the cell intentionally? It is you, not me, who completely missed the point about this whole issue of immorality, with your failed attempt to downplay or downright IGNORE thousands of deaths that WERE caused by tainted alcohol.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I disagree. Your point was that nobody died from drinking tainted alcohol during Prohibition, when the reality is that there were so many deaths the morally conscious even went as far as to call it legal murder and had to put an end to Prohibition as a result. Further, your assertion that all the people who use loose cells (not just vapers, but everyone who does) won't be able to still source loose cells from places like China or Southeast Asia with relative ease after a ban, is based on nothing but thin air. Where there's profit to be made from illegal import, illegal import will ensue. The inspectors simply can not check every package entering U.S. territory. Further, cells will be harvested from battery packs BOTH by people who harvest them without damaging the cells AND by people who do damage them internally in such a way that damage may be not visible on the outside of the cell, which poses a real threat if they sell these to uneducated buyers. As for the intentionally tainted alcohol, what makes you think that people who will illegally sell loose cells after a ban won't ALSO be capable to cause internal damage to the cell intentionally? It is you, not me, who completely missed the point about this whole issue of immorality, with your failed attempt to downplay or downright IGNORE thousands of deaths that WERE caused by tainted alcohol.
We're talking past each other.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tesla-Model-S-battery-pack.jpg

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
wasn't posted here but...this was Gregory Conley’s response to the letter from Samsung on Twitter. Posted by Mooch himself

upload_2020-3-10_13-28-37.png

LMAO! Absolutely beautiful. I love it

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I think it was an expected and OK response.

He covered his ass by reminding vapers publicly that they need to practice battery safety (but not referring to samsung specifically) while also insinuating that personal responsibility is important, and at the same time he publicly made samsung aware that he's not interested in samsung trying to use him and his organization as a tool.

He also left out samsung's "illegal" assertion, probably since it's laughable to begin with.

If he made a public mud-slinging post, he could get into legal trouble. And if he down-played/ignored general battery safety in any way that could possibly also be used against him and the AVA in some way.

Looks good enough to me.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
wasn't posted here but...this was Gregory Conley’s response to the letter from Samsung on Twitter. Posted by Mooch himself

View attachment 156707

LMAO! Absolutely beautiful. I love it

And don’t put pennies in your Smok mod when it doesn’t want to work.

Thanks, Greg Conley is a great advocate. Plus he’s got good sensibilities imho. If you don’t agree, just practice battery safety and please leave me alone!

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Which he was avoiding showing on camera. VU has spoiled me, since I’d forgotten there are dumbass people like that vaping out there!
For those of us old enough to remember fuse boxes with screw in fuses....sometimes folks would stick a penny in to replace a blown fuse. Sometimes they got away with it. Sometimes they burnt the house down ...

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And don’t put pennies in your Smok mod when it doesn’t want to work.

Thanks, Greg Conley is a great advocate. Plus he’s got good sensibilities imho. If you don’t agree, just practice battery safety and please leave me alone!
i would not "put my pennies" into a smok mod in any case :D
Much better mods to put them into.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
But what better mod to blow up than a Smok mod? :)

I always figured that a Smok mod with external batts would last longer! But really, the 18650 adapter on that mod was in bad shape. At least that’s what I think it was.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I always figured that a Smok mod with external batts would last longer! But really, the 18650 adapter on that mod was in bad shape. At least that’s what I think it was.

I Smok's defense (gasp) he probably chipped that clip on the battery cartridge by being too rough with it.

Oh wait, never mind, he's "veteran"...probably not :giggle:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I Smok's defense (gasp) he probably chipped that clip on the battery cartridge by being too rough with it.

Oh wait, never mind, he's "veteran"...probably not :giggle:

Sure a Veteran A-Hole who used dimes for spaces where they could ground out~! Notice they only referred to him as a Customer and never showed his face? Fucking ANTZ Plant?

VU Sponsors