Become a Patron!

Raymo's Boreas RTA First Impression....Coil Build...and Stuff....

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
After checking out the Alleria @whiplash leon thought it would be nice to have the Boreas checked out...this is the second device Ive gotten to review for free, just so you guys know(Its not changing my view in any way).

I had some pretty strong feelings against the RTA when first looking at it online, I read through the creation thread on ECF by Roxynoodles and read as much as I could about it elsewhere....still didnt have a good outlook on the Boreas.

I received the package in the mail in the 24th and got it at the end of the day as I didnt think I was getting anything in and only checked the box around 4pm...I was pretty surprised when I saw something under the lid. I tore up the packaging and saw that it was the Boreas....I was slightly anxious to get into it, okay I was a bit excited...I feel even shit vapemail is exciting lol. I picked it up and the feelings that I felt before slowly started to dwindle away, it started looking gorgeous, it gleamed and shined and was very smooth all around. The threads were very smooth and cut very cleanly, there is barely a seam where parts meet, the craftsmanship is even better then the Alleria and the Griffin....
The package is the same as the Alleria's, which Im a fan of since I love to stack and shelf my device boxes. Included in the Package is The Boreas, a spare Velocity Deck, a Spare Glass, and a AllenKey/Full O-ring Rebuild Kit. I really like how Augvape is including all the Origns and screws with the devices they are selling, it adds more value to the over all product in my eye's and you wont need to go looking for matching parts since you already have them.
This RTA is 25mm wide, Holds 8ml+ in juice and have a 17mm wide build deck with Aromamizer Style Wicking...these are the Headline Features.

f7bd3184d52fb65bc13409a67a94d7a9.jpg
0421a19d9cd50cbdd7509a51d1e7679f.jpg

The Boreas disassembled....There are many parts but they are large and hard to miss if you drop any. Every peice is well machined and there were no flakes, burrs, or kinks in any of the parts on this RTA. There was no presence of machine oil or smell either, another thumbs up to Augvape here!
45913891860194bc7db6d64126cf538e.jpg

I find the way the base seats into the chamber really interesting, it cant be place any way but the way it needs to and you can easily spin it until it drops in correctly. When its seated you can use the very bottom section to secure it into the chamber. This is a very quick change method for the decks-which is nice since you can have a completely different build in the spare and simply change it out quickly.

568ae5017a5f60c713492f4df5915a03.jpg
2f7d52e3594c4966cb88ea33c0e003e5.jpg

Onto the Juice Control/AFC....
This I didnt fully understand when I first through the tank together, I didnt read anything or even look at it as I was in a rush. After getting to know it and seeing how it all works I find it to be a great working system and gives you many different adjustments to any juice or vaping style.

The AFC is built into the Chamber that slips over the Deck and a Ring that slips over it. The action is smooth like oil on glass...its a pretty amazing feel and it does have a stopper! There are 4 holes for the Airflow and you can close them down one by one or close them down slightly in each setting. When your adjusting the Airflow Control you are also adjusting the Juice Control, the more open the AFC is the more open the JC is.

8fdd41c14e4ac8c857324c8b473389e0.jpg

On top of the "Adjuster for the AFC/JC is this Ring, this ring has 2 different option for Juice Control 2 slots that are wider then the other 2 slots. You can choose which option depending on how thick your eliquid is but this change can only be made with the Glass taken off. I run my Boreas with the Largest Slots used.

ad655dd2bc82e0ac793ffc419ce2b938.jpg
533d0b0d6e2a6cc24418d96ff209e5e7.jpg

The Top Fill on this is very similar to the Alleria, Griffin and many other RTA's but the Slots seem much wider so you can actually just DUMP your juice in...and thank Roxynoodles for that this beast holds some juice! the only complaint for this RTA is the last part and piece....the cap that covers the fill section, it has no cuts or edging on it to grip and I have had the glass unscrew before the cap did...SO DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN IT!!!

Onto the RTA Comparison!
The Alleria RTA, the Griffin, and the Boreas...I didnt have my VCMT on hand-Sorry Guys!!!
The Boreas is 25mm so its wider then the Griffin but the Griffin holds up to the VCMT which is in the 25mm Category and why I listed it as such. The Alleria I through in since its Augvapes other RTA ;)

c9b7f4bf44e57e160a01068cfc97a527.jpg

The Boreas Deck vs Griffin Deck, the second picture is the Boreas Deck vs the Actual Velocity RDA Base...
83349f2a050fde63f87e57339ad4de89.jpg
4916235027150b3ca160e851ae09bbbf.jpg

Onto the First Build...

I wanted to push its limits and see what I could fit in it after seeing crazy claims on ECF by Roxy and others....So I went to the laboratory and brewed up some 2 x 20KA1/40N80 Fused Claptons. When wrapping them up I decided to make them monsters and wide...just to test. I made them 3.5mm Wide and I used 6 Wraps on them and angled them. The fit right in the Postholes, which already impressed me and I didnt think they would fit into the chamber...the deck slipped right into place and didnt give a "Short" message so I pull it out and wicked it quickly. Remember I was in a RUSH!!! I basically tossed cotton at the deck and through the RTA together lol I wet the cotton, close the AFC/JC and then filled the tank all the way up....I dont think my wick and/or fill amount was good for it in any way since I got a bit of juice leaking through the Air Holes when I opened the AFC up, it only happened when I first filled it and not since.

I normally have all 4 holes open but then have them slightly cut down, so the JC is wide open and the AFC feels more like 3 Holes Closed....I love this amount of adjustability! The AFC is Airier then the Griffin by a long shot when wide open and the Juice wicks better then anything Ive previously used, I have yet to even feel that a draw that could get dry...amazing! I was terrified it would be like the Aromamizer and dryhit every draw...It gives a Wet Vape every Vape...which I love. I pumped the .11 Build all the way up to 240w on a SMY God Box and it was wicking like it was at 60w on the Griffin...Yet it doesnt leak or flood. This is a great design and I hope to try more working versions of it ahead!

Here's the Build:
03bd24f3573c4577157f9b9db860d21c.jpg
37fcb2e2425761a58f6257da760e45c7.jpg

bd74bbc19da6871b324e06cd5656bbbe.jpg

NOTE: I love how you can use the Naked Deck on mods to work on it or glow the coils! I didnt notice the deck these coils are on have the smaller Juice Ports....and it still wicked more then I needed!

Could almost push a pencil through them bitches!

Conclusion...
This tank isnt going to be for everyone...this isnt going to be for the Kayfun'ers or the Squapey's...This RTA will be for the person who doesnt want any god damn issues with wicking or "what will fit?" or wants something that they can throw a series build in and not worry about it not wicking. This RTA is for any person that builds coils and wants something that is a workhorse. This is my Favorite RTA so far and I would personally thank Roxy for designing such a piece of functional art...Im very glad Leon sent this my way or I would still be looking at it funny...Now Im looking at it funny but in a different way :p

I feel everyone should get a order for this thing...you will not be disappointed!

Leon, I still want a Red Anodized/SS Version!!!!!!

Last edited:

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm the same as you bro
The design look meh!!!! Thats why we never really talk about it, but holy shit, that's a fucking RDA deck,, a true RDA fucking deck!!!roxy did a good job on this bitch seriously, AUGVAPE is sheetz, oh shit rAymo2u at it again...

Vape On

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dude,,, i told you, YOU NEED A YTUBE CHANNEL..you already have the technical tools dude, you gonna save us all money!!!! Do it
I'm quite happy with his written up reviews, I much prefer them to youtube. However youtube you can grab some cash so it's not a bad idea, but still I'd hope he wouldn't stop taking the time to type something up.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I may as well tell you guys. The top cap did have some cut outs for grip on my initial design. For some reason, Augvape chose not to do it that way. Maybe for the look.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I may as well tell you guys. The top cap did have some cut outs for grip on my initial design. For some reason, Augvape chose not to do it that way. Maybe for the look.
I was just thinking it would have been nice even if there was a line on opposing sides cut straight up and down on it....would of been clean looking and gave some grip.

DukeBlue

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Great review Ramo, you certainly know how to build things to their limits and point out things that others didn’t see. I didn’t even notice that the adjuster ring for the AFC/JC had 2 different size slots.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Great review Ramo, you certainly know how to build things to their limits and point out things that others didn’t see. I didn’t even notice that the adjuster ring for the AFC/JC had 2 different size slots.
hen I first read the package it states that there is a choice of 2mm and 2.5mm Juice Ports...I thought it was that Ring they were talking about...I later found the Decks are what that statement pertained to...So there is even more craziness to the adjustability right there...
Just JUICE CONTROL options...
Deck have choices
Ring has choices
You can adjust it with the airflow
You can adjust it with your wicking....its pretty crazy with the amount of control it has for juice, it is very nice....

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Curious, I'm a fan of the Griffin at half closed, I like some restriction. Would that be an issue for the juice flow? That's the only thing I'm concerned about here. Still probably waiting for the Raymo designed RTA next, but what can I say, for the price I'm interested.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Curious, I'm a fan of the Griffin at half closed, I like some restriction. Would that be an issue for the juice flow? That's the only thing I'm concerned about here. Still probably waiting for the Raymo designed RTA next, but what can I say, for the price I'm interested.
The Juice flow on the Griffin only half closed 2 of the 4 holes...On this you can close it down, then step it down for each hole. Then you can choose the smaller ports on the Ring and then smaller ports on the Decks....then stuff your wicking in the holes to ensure a good damn dryhit lol The Juice control isnt like most and have a small amount of options like 1-5 with choices like 1,2,3,4, and 5....This RTA has choices 1-20 and you can get it down to 1/3's on each choice...

I should of got Roxy to make the JC on the Raymo RTA...lol Mines not as nice :(

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Juice flow on the Griffin only half closed 2 of the 4 holes...On this you can close it down, then step it down for each hole. Then you can choose the smaller ports on the Ring and then smaller ports on the Decks....then stuff your wicking in the holes to ensure a good damn dryhit lol The Juice control isnt like most and have a small amount of options like 1-5 with choices like 1,2,3,4, and 5....This RTA has choices 1-20 and you can get it down to 1/3's on each choice...

Sorry drunk and confused, but can I still avoid dry hits with the airflow restricted? That's my concern.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sorry drunk and confused, but can I still avoid dry hits with the airflow restricted? That's my concern.
You can have all 4 holes open then close all the holes down together until the draw is desired, that way the juice control is wide open but the air is restricted....thats what Ive been doing.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So when is your RTA being released Raymo? Im interested in getting one of those, super interested. If you need testers or reviewers, keep me in mind. :) Ill even pay shipping or even just flat out pay the full cost just to get it earlier.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So when is your RTA being released Raymo? Im interested in getting one of those, super interested. If you need testers or reviewers, keep me in mind. :) Ill even pay shipping or even just flat out pay the full cost just to get it earlier.
No clue yet and I dont think I have any say in who gets one...thats all Leon...

thunderdan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

The integrated JFC/AFC is what surprised me the most when I got it and started using mine. On paper it didn't sound like a great concept to me, but man, was I wrong, its incredibly versitile.

Nice write up/review, well done.

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's a 10% off code: ECF10 or ecf10. Sorry its that other place, but you as well save the $4.

Which site? Now I'm glad I was waiting on the Griffin 25...I would really love to get my hands on one of these bad boys!!

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I saw it there back on preorder. I missed out on it yesterday because I didn't pull the trigger quick enough at work. But if I remember right, the black was not an option, procrastination payed off this time!

thunderdan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I saw it there back on preorder. I missed out on it yesterday because I didn't pull the trigger quick enough at work. But if I remember right, the black was not an option, procrastination payed off this time!
Yeah, they had a couple SS in stock still yesterday morning. Once they sold out of the first batch of SS, they put up the pre order for the black version.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hemmed and hawed about it for maybe an hour, then they were gone lol. I can't wait to put this beast on my Reuleaux. I've been waiting for a deck that isn't so finicky to wick. If it performs as well as I think it will, I'm going to have some tanks and RDA's getting very lonely on the shelf.

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And it looks like you nailed it!! Since you are the mastermind, I figure I might as well ask...are you using a single "strip" of cotton, or more of a "roll" technique on this one?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It was a goal to have the easiest wicking it could have.
Before getting it I hated that type of wicking, like the Aromamizer. I tried a variation of 20+ builds in it ranging from Fused Claptons to a Strand of 29KA1 and I couldnt ever get it over 50w no matter what, couldnt ever get a nice warm draw without risking a dryhit, couldnt take more then a draw without pausing for it to keep up and I swore I wouldnt buy a tank with that wicking style...I even drilled them out on the Aromamizer and drilled out extra holes and it still didnt keep up with a normal build.

I think its the Vacuum pressure and the hieght of the RTA that helps force juice into the cavities and through the wicking ports. I was pretty against ever trying that style of wicking again.....Im glad the Boreas has made it work and not only that, make it work very well....

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
And it looks like you nailed it!! Since you are the mastermind, I figure I might as well ask...are you using a single "strip" of cotton, or more of a "roll" technique on this one?

I'm a rayon gal so that's what I'm using. I can't seem to get past the taste of cotton. I know we all pick up different things in wicking materials. I only taste rayon very minimally for less than 5 puffs, yet others tell me they taste rayon. However, I taste cotton all the time, and don't enjoy that.

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Rayon? You want rayon? And yes, I can taste it...Nasty stuff...

tidi_delasco_cac_graham.jpg

The three bags up top are rayon coils from Carolina Absorbant Cotton.

Last edited:

renzyb

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That atty would look amazing on my releaux

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Pima cotton? That's some fancy stuff right there :)
I have some PIMA that I got for free and its like the cotton that I find in low budget serta pillows lol Its long, weird feeling, super soft and stringy... The Native Wicks cotton must be a much better version of that PIMA...

VU Sponsors