Become a Patron!

R.I.P FOR RIP? NEW ALLEGATIONS ABOUT THE REVIEWER BREAK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike64

Vapemail Stalker
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All I have seen for "proof" at this point, is a deal that Rip was hashing out with an App maker. I don't know what they wanted from him. It could have been to use his image, his phrases, or whatever. It certainly seems like they wanted him to promote the app.

At this point he has done NO promoting of the app. So, he can't be hung over the fact he's promoting something for pay, that he isn't at this point.

The thing we are all inferring from this, from what others are pushing at, is that Rip has been asking for paid reviews.

So at this point, unless Twisted has SOMETHING to show us, this is looking like a smear campaign. And IF that is the case, this IS grounds for defamation lawsuits.
All I heard last night from Twisted was that an app maker wanted Rip to endorse their product and Rip asked for 2 percent equity in the app....I dont necessarily think that if that is the case it amounts to being paid off for reviews, but if its true, and that's all Twisted actually said he did, then Im not sure that there are any actual grounds for suing Twisted for making what is essentially a true statement...I will say though that framing the narrative into Rip being somehow dishonest for doing that would be at best over the top and at worst an ignorant statement...at any rate, this is all nothing but conjecture until we see if there is actually a smoking gun out there to yet be revealed...

Last edited:

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
All I heard last night from Twisted was that an app maker wanted Rip to endorse their product and Rip asked for 2 percent equity in the app....I dont necessarily think that if that is the case it amounts to being paid off for reviews, but if its true, and that's all Twisted actually said he did, then there is no actual grounds for suing Twisted for making what is essentially a true statement...I will say though that framing the narrative into Rip being somehow dishonest for doing that would be at best over the top and at worst an ignorant statement...at any rate, this is all nothing but conjecture until we see if there is actually a smoking gun out there to yet be revealed...

When he referenced Matt "biting his tong for a long time" this made the issue that this isn't a first money grab from Rip. Not that I think endorsing/promoting an App is a money grab necessarily.

True enough, Smoky posted a vid cut of Mod Envy with Twisted on. I watched it until the vape mail segment. Nothing I heard from him, to that point, made me think Rip was underhanded or dishonest. I question how truthful Twisted is about what HE gets from reviewing.

None of them are going to be straight with us. And it's not like how much they make means shit to us anyway (it would only fuel jealousy from some). But it IS important to know IF someone is getting PAID to review or endorse something. That's the issue, and so far no evidence anyone IS getting paid.

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's the update Twisted gave on the infamous reddit page:

Edit: In retrospect the title and description sounds Douchey....lol My bad.....

Does that sound like some evidence is on the way?

It's funny how a quote of a partial sentence can give a whole different meaning than quoting an entire sentence @vaperature

Here is the entire sentence:
Edit: In retrospect the title and description sounds Douchey....lol My bad.....still no regrets on the whole subject though.

I think this really shows your extreme bias and your inability to hold an intelligent conversation on this issue. Any posts you make from this point forward are pointless and suspect. This is an example of extreme douchebaggery as far as I'm concerned. You might as well exit this thread now since you have lost all credibility.

I don't have a horse in this race and will just wait for all the facts to be presented before making a decision. Jumping to conclusions too early before it has even played out is just silly. But partial quoting to mislead others is just shameful.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's funny how a quote of a partial sentence can give a whole different meaning than quoting an entire sentence @vaperature

Here is the entire sentence:
Edit: In retrospect the title and description sounds Douchey....lol My bad.....still no regrets on the whole subject though.

I think this really shows your extreme bias and your inability to hold an intelligent conversation on this issue. Any posts you make from this point forward are pointless and suspect. This is an example of extreme douchebaggery as far as I'm concerned. You might as well exit this thread now since you have lost all credibility.

I don't have a horse in this race and will just wait for all the facts to be presented before making a decision. Jumping to conclusions too early before it has even played out is just silly. But partial quoting to mislead others is just shameful.
I don't see how "still no regrets on the whole subject though." makes any difference. You're right, maybe I did leave that out for effect, and maybe that was wrong of me to do that, but even with it in, it's still way short of "Here is my evidence that Rip Tripper takes money for reviews." Sounds more like he's backtracking and admitting he was a douche but stating he has no regrets.

DH350nWo

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone thought that this just might be a stunt by Rip and Twisted?

You heard it here first folks...

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
You heard it here first folks...
Heard that yesterday afternoon. ;)

This is definitely stunt on the part of Twisted420, though. He's using suspension of disbelief to generate views of his channel when he finally releases this tell-all video. Can't fault him for that, really. It's marketing.

He's definitely gotten some backlash from it, but it doesn't matter. Even the haters are going to tune in and watch.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And if Twisted's "tell all" video doesn't actually contain any proof against Rip Trippers, are all those who helped spread the rumor going to apologize or are they going to think up some more BS to justify their behavior, like, oh, Twisted is now just waiting another month in order to generate suspense, can't blame him for that!!

In Rip's initial response , he said 80% of his time is devoted to this stuff, only leaving 20% for personal time. One can deduce that this is their career or main source of income by that statement alone.
And to be fair there are others who seem to dedicate even more time , way more time, with reviews , and vlogs and such.

I would be shocked to learn that the top 5 or so big players have day jobs. There's no possible way. They've all found a way to bank from this , and their popularity only increases their bankroll.
Also having a good relationship with big manufacturers couldn't hurt either. Just saying.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
And if Twisted's "tell all" video doesn't actually contain any proof against Rip Trippers, are all those who helped spread the rumor going to apologize...
Can't speak for anyone else, but I won't apologize for it. Will you?

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Can't speak for anyone else, but I won't apologize for it. Will you?
Why would I need to apologize to Rip Trippers? My article was leaning in his favor. Your article was the one lynching him without any proof, not mine.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If YouTube PAYS you, it has NOTHING to do with a manufacture paying you for a review. YouTube is PAYING for the traffic that you generate for ad revenues.

Nothing underhanded or wrong about that.
I agree... I was just pointing out that views = money. If stuff like this drives up your views, it gives you a little 'bump' in the cash your making. Large or small, it is what it is.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You're missing the point entirely. No one expects him to NOT get paid. Well, some people do, but they're naive and stupid...so we'll forget about the ones who don't live in the real world.

The point is, if these allegations are true, it is a violation of FTC guidelines, and against the law. If you are accepting payment to endorse products, you have to disclose it.
Do we know that for a fact on Youtube? As far as I know, the FTC doesnt regulate Youtube yet..

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do we know that for a fact on Youtube? As far as I know, the FTC doesnt regulate Youtube yet..
Everyone has suddenly become a legal expert over night. Lol.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Why would I need to apologize to Rip Trippers? My article was leaning in his favor. Your article was the one lynching him without any proof, not mine.
A couple things:

1) Your accounts must have been hacked yesterday, may want to look into that. Someone wrote a post on your blog about this, then spammed links to it all over Reddit and this forum. Pretty sure that counts as spreading the rumor. You can try to put your hypocritical spin on that however you want, but it doesn't detract from the truth.

2) My article does nothing of the sort. There is zero opinion or non-sourced information. Zero.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Your idiocy knows no bounds, does it? I mean, do you actually believe the dumb shit you post?
Actually, he's correct. Theres a reason why people report things in the third person and use words like 'allegedly'. If you noticed, @VaporJoes and @TygerTyger were both very careful about actually saying he did it. Something you would be wise to learn ;)

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A couple things:

1) Your accounts must have been hacked yesterday, may want to look into that. Someone wrote a post on your blog about this, then spammed links to it all over Reddit and this forum. Pretty sure that counts as spreading the rumor. You can try to put your hypocritical spin on that however you want, but it doesn't detract from the truth.

2) My article does nothing of the sort. There is zero opinion or non-sourced information. Zero.
Buuuuzzzzz!! Thanks for playing but you lose. Here's my article:

http://vaporacle.blogspot.com/2015/02/is-rip-trippers-on-take.html

Vaporacle would like to remind everyone that this is America and we're suppose to be innocent until proven guilty. Even if Rip Trippers was negotiating a deal to promote an "app," that doesn't prove that his long history of reviewing actual juices and vaping gear has all been paid for.

and here's your article that just repeats the allegation:

http://www.v4p3r.com/calling-out-rip-trippers/

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All I have seen for "proof" at this point, is a deal that Rip was hashing out with an App maker. I don't know what they wanted from him. It could have been to use his image, his phrases, or whatever. It certainly seems like they wanted him to promote the app.

At this point he has done NO promoting of the app. So, he can't be hung over the fact he's promoting something for pay, that he isn't at this point.

The thing we are all inferring from this, from what others are pushing at, is that Rip has been asking for paid reviews.

So at this point, unless Twisted has SOMETHING to show us, this is looking like a smear campaign. And IF that is the case, this IS grounds for defamation lawsuits.
I dont know how we finally agree to this, but I'll take it :) This is exactly what I have been saying from the beginning :D

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Yes, the FTC guidelines apply to YouTube. This issue has come up in the past regarding video game reviewers receiving compensation from gaming companies. The FTC would not go after Rip, they would go after the companies who supposedly paid. It's been awhile since I read about it, but I think it was Microsoft and Nintendo who had problems with this in the past.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Interesting theory. So if I'm partially responsible, then I guess that makes you responsible also. You posted your article right after mine. I seem to recall you boasting about page views (screenshot included) when you thought you were riding high on the hog. How the mighty have fallen.
The problem is, he posted the story THEN pointed out the problems in it. You posted it as fact and then tried to say it was fact here on the boards several time. That you are backtracking now does not really take that away.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The problem is, he posted the story THEN pointed out the problems in it. You posted it as fact and then tried to say it was fact here on the boards several time. That you are backtracking now does not really take that away.
You might as well give it up. Logic doesn't work on him.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All I heard last night from Twisted was that an app maker wanted Rip to endorse their product and Rip asked for 2 percent equity in the app....I dont necessarily think that if that is the case it amounts to being paid off for reviews, but if its true, and that's all Twisted actually said he did, then Im not sure that there are any actual grounds for suing Twisted for making what is essentially a true statement...I will say though that framing the narrative into Rip being somehow dishonest for doing that would be at best over the top and at worst an ignorant statement...at any rate, this is all nothing but conjecture until we see if there is actually a smoking gun out there to yet be revealed...
He brought up the 2%, but then went on to say that that proves he was asking for money to 'review products'..

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, the FTC guidelines apply to YouTube. This issue has come up in the past regarding video game reviewers receiving compensation from gaming companies. The FTC would not go after Rip, they would go after the companies who supposedly paid. It's been awhile since I read about it, but I think it was Microsoft and Nintendo who had problems with this in the past.
All a moot point anyway because there's no evidence Rip violated any law whatsoever. Really stretching with this FTC bullshit. Seems desperate.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
He brought up the 2%, but then went on to say that that proves he was asking for money to 'review products'..
Yes he did say that, and it was an outright lie.

creeperfan5236

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
vXa4HUY.png

Just seen this on the Reddit thread. This can't be real.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
You might as well give it up. Logic doesn't work on him.
Logic test:

1) Post drama on your blog
2) Spam links to your blog everywhere
3) Point finger of shame at others for spreading drama

o_O

"I took the high road! I'm a victim here!" You still spread the drama. Logic fail.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Logic test:

1) Post drama on your blog
2) Spam links to your blog everywhere
3) Point finger of shame at others for spreading drama

o_O

"I took the high road! I'm a victim here!" You still spread the drama. Logic fail.
Lol, you just gave the three bullet points of what YOU do. By the way, now you're stalking me on Reddit too? This is getting way out of hand, bro. Get a life that doesn't involve thinking about me. I'm seriously not that important.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
well here is an excellent example of vape media jumping to very big conclusions with no evidence, coming from twisted & joe teamwork. the most convincing thing ive heard is rip asking for 2% equity to promote an app, he shouldve asked for 5% imo. you guys know some apps are public companies now valued anywhere from $10-50 billion? if an app were to do well in this day with rip owning 2%, it would make the rest of his life. this isnt rip trying to pick the pockets of manufacturers for good reviews, this is rip using his online network as an entrepreneur would without compromising his ethics, but people see him thinking outside the box with the most subscribers and want to take him down anyway they can.. most of the products rip is reviewing dont need compensation for a good review, they are already good products as judged by the market. so saying rip is demanding payment is basically saying he is extorting manufacturers using his subscriber base, which is libel. ive lost a bit of respect for a few people and its not rip, but i bet these headlines get a lot of hits so thats a win in someones book right?

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Lol, you just gave the three bullet points of what YOU do...
I know that's what I do, idiot. You're the one claiming that you didn't spread the drama. You really need to work on your trolling tactics. You rely far too heavily on strawman arguments.

strawman-full.jpg

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm going to keep my opinion on RIP to myself...as that's all anyone has is an opinion...I've yet to see any proof that he demands money to do a review, and actually have run across plenty of proof to the contrary (shop owners saying he reviewed products from them that he purchased). I will point out that all of the drama seems to start right here at VU. Why?
I've never heard RIP talking about PBusardo, Suckmymod, VaporJoe, VU. Never heard PBusardo talking about RIP, VaporJoe, ModEnvy, etc. I've never seen any other reviewer talk shit about another...except here on VU. They blast PBusardo for going to China and say he's a fake. Now this with RIP Trippers...the drama gets old. Are we still in high school? I feel VU and VULive have the greatest content available online for vapers...why litter it with this petty childish drama that is all unproven speculation? It puts a bad taste in my mouth for VU, and for what? What does VaporJoe gain by talking shit about every other person involved in the vaping industry? Bottom line is, this drama makes VU look bad. I watched the show last night, and today I looked over on Reddit and a few other places, and what I found was a bunch of shop owners/workers who are saying RIP reviewed their products, and that he PURCHASED them on several occasions. Umm..that's the complete opposite of what you guys were saying last night on ModEnvy. How many products does Twisted420 review that he went out and PURCHASED? I'm pretty sure Twisted420 reviews things that are sent to him or given to him to review. So who is the one doing reviews for monetary gain?
Let's just grow the hell up and stop with the unproven accusations. Save the drama for the tobacco forums and keep it off the vaping forums. That's just my take on it...the drama always starts here. I too have lost respect for some of the hosts on here. If you're going to start some shit, at least be ready to back it up with some proof! VU Live is its own worst enemy!

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This some CRAPPY NEWS.., twisted420 is a JOKE!!
VAPE ON

Last edited:

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm going to keep my opinion on RIP to myself...as that's all anyone has is an opinion...I've yet to see any proof that he demands money to do a review, and actually have run across plenty of proof to the contrary (shop owners saying he reviewed products from them that he purchased). I will point out that all of the drama seems to start right here at VU. Why?
I've never heard RIP talking about PBusardo, Suckmymod, VaporJoe, VU. Never heard PBusardo talking about RIP, VaporJoe, ModEnvy, etc. I've never seen any other reviewer talk shit about another...except here on VU. They blast PBusardo for going to China and say he's a fake. Now this with RIP Trippers...the drama gets old. Are we still in high school? I feel VU and VULive have the greatest content available online for vapers...why litter it with this petty childish drama that is all unproven speculation? It puts a bad taste in my mouth for VU, and for what? What does VaporJoe gain by talking shit about every other person involved in the vaping industry? Bottom line is, this drama makes VU look bad. I watched the show last night, and today I looked over on Reddit and a few other places, and what I found was a bunch of shop owners/workers who are saying RIP reviewed their products, and that he PURCHASED them on several occasions. Umm..that's the complete opposite of what you guys were saying last night on ModEnvy. How many products does Twisted420 review that he went out and PURCHASED? I'm pretty sure Twisted420 reviews things that are sent to him or given to him to review. So who is the one doing reviews for monetary gain?
Let's just grow the hell up and stop with the unproven accusations. Save the drama for the tobacco forums and keep it off the vaping forums. That's just my take on it...the drama always starts here. I too have lost respect for some of the hosts on here. If you're going to start some shit, at least be ready to back it up with some proof! VU Live is its own worst enemy!
Its all drama designed to increase views and hits.. Thats all it is.

And yes, it really cast doubts on some of the main players.. serious doubts.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
one question....a year from now, who's gonna care?

Because many people care now?

In case you haven't noticed, this is a pissing contest between vaping "media" people - those who call themselves the "vaping community". They're the ones getting their pants in a knot. Other people who happen to have a life outside the field of vaping, and no financial interest in any of this, essentially don't give a rat's ass.

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its all drama designed to increase views and hits.. Thats all it is.

And yes, it really cast doubts on some of the main players.. serious doubts.
Yeah you are right...all done for traffic I guess. I know I will never watch another Twisted420 review again...he's a piece of shit IMO for starting all of this drama. Bottom line is he's a vape reviewer, so go do some vape reviews, quit speculating and making assumptions about other vape reviewers. Joe is just as guilty for feeding into it, and giving it the time that he did, go post some deals or something. Then there's Tyger...who any other time would be in a pissy telling the guys to stop, and this isn't what the network is for, etc, etc...well she must not be a RIP fanboy, because I never heard her once say stop last night. Oh well...I know what shows I won't be watching anymore.

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It certainly does increase views and hits...even though everyone decries drama...or at least says that they do as they flock to it....lmao...

Vape drama can very easily be ignored...just don't watch ModEnvy or VU Live!!! It really is that simple...

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It certainly does increase views and hits...even though everyone decries drama...or at least says that they do as they flock to it....lmao...

Guilty :)

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Vape drama can very easily be ignored...just don't watch ModEnvy or VU Live!!! It really is that simple...
He's right, yanno. It's really very simple: just walk away. Don't read it, don't watch it, don't comment on it, don't click it. Go back to watching the Phil and Dimitri bromance or Inside Vaping.

If it were that simple to walk away from drama, those shows would be more popular than they are. The fact is, drama draws attention. Those other shows suck because they're boring. The Ohm Page forums are dead because the next morning, everyone is still too comatose from watching a lame show to bother leaving a comment about it. No one remembers what the hell was even talked about.

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He's right, yanno. It's really very simple: just walk away. Don't read it, don't watch it, don't comment on it, don't click it. Go back to watching the Phil and Dimitri bromance or Inside Vaping.

If it were that simple to walk away from drama, those shows would be more popular than they are. The fact is, drama draws attention. Those other shows suck because they're boring. The Ohm Page forums are dead because the next morning, everyone is still too comatose from watching a lame show to bother leaving a comment about it. No one remembers what the hell was even talked about.
Fact is...RIP has one of the most popular YouTube vaping channels...and there's no drama! Oh yeah...from what they said last night, all of his subscribers are fake. Maybe it's jealousy....is it possible that Twisted420 is butt-hurt that he doesn't have the following RIP has? I can only take so much of RIP's act before I have to change it myself, but the same is true for Twisted...I can only take so much. There are drama-free options V4P3R, and I suspect there are more to come. How's the old saying go, "Out with the old, and in with the new!" That's what I'll be doing if they can't find a way to eliminate the drama.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know that's what I do, idiot. You're the one claiming that you didn't spread the drama. You really need to work on your trolling tactics. You rely far too heavily on strawman arguments.

strawman-full.jpg
Shut up already if you don't know the difference between an article that was defending Rip and your article that was ripping on him.

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Who needs to go to Youtube watch RIP Triper, Twisted, or Suck my Mutt when we have high quality drama right here with Vaperature and V4P3R eh? :)
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors