Become a Patron!
Hello guys,
So first Of all Im new to vaping. I got my first mod (Topbox Mini) a couple weeks ago and I've been vaping in TC mode with a Nickel coil at about 450-480 degrees fahrenheit. Today I decided to change my coil as my juice was apparently dissapearing so I put this new SS coil that came with my mod and followed The instructions in The manual. I selected "new atomizer", The resistance reading was good, and I changed to SS TC mode. Then, within my first hit, The battery automatically died for a couple seconds and went back to normal. Tried again, and The same thing happened. I lowered The temp from 450 to 300 fahrenheit and it seemed to work. My question is, is it necessary to lower The temp when using a SS coil? Why was it working at 470 with The Nickel coil? Is anything wrong with my mod?

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I assume your using the kanger tank that came with the mod? Try the SS coils in power mode, start low and work your way up to a nice vape. If it is not as good as you like, then maybe go back to TC. Some coils, especially SS, are hit or miss. Some work better in wattage mode. What ohm coil is in your tank?

I assume your using the kanger tank that came with the mod? Try the SS coils in power mode, start low and work your way up to a nice vape. If it is not as good as you like, then maybe go back to TC. Some coils, especially SS, are hit or miss. Some work better in wattage mode. What ohm coil is in your tank?
It says it is a 0.5 Ohm coil and it reads as 0.6. The thing I dont understand is why was it necessary to lower The temperature in order to make The SS coil work? The Ni 0.2 coil was doing perfect at 470f

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the Ni200 coils in my tanks when in TC mode, and kanthal and SS in wattage mode. Might stick to the Ni200 if it's working for you. It might be a bum coil. Try another one if you have one.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello guys,
So first Of all Im new to vaping. I got my first mod (Topbox Mini) a couple weeks ago and I've been vaping in TC mode with a Nickel coil at about 450-480 degrees fahrenheit. Today I decided to change my coil as my juice was apparently dissapearing so I put this new SS coil that came with my mod and followed The instructions in The manual. I selected "new atomizer", The resistance reading was good, and I changed to SS TC mode. Then, within my first hit, The battery automatically died for a couple seconds and went back to normal. Tried again, and The same thing happened. I lowered The temp from 450 to 300 fahrenheit and it seemed to work. My question is, is it necessary to lower The temp when using a SS coil? Why was it working at 470 with The Nickel coil? Is anything wrong with my mod?
First off, you can't compare a Ni coil to a SS coil. It's the old "comparing Apples to Oranges". The type of wires have different resistances. The Ni wire reacts more in resistance under different temperatures than a SS wire does. Therefore, it depends on your mod, how capable it is in TC for a SS coil.
However, in general, with any different coil, you need to find the sweet spot, working from a lower setting, increasing step by step to find that sweet spot. Even with coils of the same material, but different resistance, you should do the same.
FYI, I mainly use SS coils, whether they are replacement coils, or wrapped by myself. Most of my mods work flawlessly in TC. Just one exception is the Melo 3 tank on my Pico, with a Triton SS coil. It doesn't work in TC on the Pico, although I've been using the Triton SS coils in TC on all of my other mods.

VU Sponsors