Become a Patron!

Post your builds

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
It took forever !!! I see people spin Aliens like I spin a clapton , haha. I dont know how they do it. Thanks for the props. Im spinning up some de cores right now to try some more
It's a matter of consistent practice. Once you get the stretch and tension down it's just as easy as running regular claps. I do aliens at full speed, though my drill only does 1200rpm. I know people who do them at 3600 rpms.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Absolutely - I also have these tubes to hold a crapload of straightened core wires. I have one each for 26, 28, 30 gauge wire in KA1, N80, and SS316L.

DYvvFeY.jpg

WHj1yik.jpg
Think that's gotta be the next purchase. Make setting up even quicker :D

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
What if you want to Alien wrap a stack of ribbon....Say an 8 or 10 stack of .4 ribbon , what size decore do you need. Ive heard 3 to 1 ratio but im not sure about all of this.. Especially with ribbon. I should probably just keep trying 3 core Aliens until I get it down but progression is inevitable I see , hehe

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
What if you want to Alien wrap a stack of ribbon....Say an 8 or 10 stack of .4 ribbon , what size decore do you need. Ive heard 3 to 1 ratio but im not sure about all of this.. Especially with ribbon. I should probably just keep trying 3 core Aliens until I get it down but progression is inevitable I see , hehe
Unless the depth is more than the width you can use the same ratio. It can get wonky sometimes with close numbers (I've had problems doing 4 ply .3r).

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
It's a matter of consistent practice. Once you get the stretch and tension down it's just as easy as running regular claps. I do aliens at full speed, though my drill only does 1200rpm. I know people who do them at 3600 rpms.
I found myself holding my breath , hehe. By the time I got a solid 10 inches worth of usable wire i was about to pass out , haha. Aliens are so worth it though. Im loving these that I made.

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
Now they look like this in just a couple minutes lol
f335b0da4a20821f1f148477edea2301.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Wow !! That is so awesome. I just ordered a ton of N80 so i can try to get some color in my builds. My problem with Nichrome is I build coils for toaster ovens , haha. They ohm at .04 or something.....Im getting it figured out. That VapeTool app has really helped me to organize my wire

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Wow !! That is so awesome. I just ordered a ton of N80 so i can try to get some color in my builds. My problem with Nichrome is I build coils for toaster ovens , haha. They ohm at .04 or something.....Im getting it figured out. That VapeTool app has really helped me to organize my wire
SS316L is better for color I have found.

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
SS316L is better for color I have found.

Cool, thank you. I will add some to my wrap wire collection for sure. I tell you , looking at the stuff in this thread will sure give you inspiration. The Aliens you just showed me will make me practice for sure. I fight like crazy to keep my cores flat and straight but your coils have that cool shape to them. Maybe im doing something wrong.

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Ribbon is .1mm thick. So 8 would be .8mm wide. Add two pieces for the rail, 26g is .4 each, so
.8+.4+.4 =1.6mm. Divide that by three for the alien core size. 24g would be about .5mm.

Rick M

Member For 1 Year
Now they look like this in just a couple minutes lol
f335b0da4a20821f1f148477edea2301.jpg

What is the material list for this coil right here, if you dont mind saying??? I put 3 cores in mine...Is there only 2 in this one ? I want that twisty/wavy look in mine. I have the Alien effect but its too "core stable" or something. Im missing something I just cant put my finger on it. Ive got a way to go , hehe

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What is the material list for this coil right here, if you dont mind saying??? I put 3 cores in mine...Is there only 2 in this one ? I want that twisty/wavy look in mine. I have the Alien effect but its too "core stable" or something. Im missing something I just cant put my finger on it. Ive got a way to go , hehe
That's a Framed Staple Alien. 2x26 gauge frames Nichrome 80, 9x.4 Nichrome 80 ribbon stacked on it's side, and SS316L 36 gauge Alien wrap.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, that's called interlocking alien. Basically a paraclapton (parallel Clapton) that's used for Alien wrapping. One technique I still don't have down is paraclapton :/

For those interlocks I use a single spool. Its a trick I started doing a long time ago.

Single Spool Interlock Technique:

First Clapton like you normally would. When you finish the clapton unhook the beginning and run the drill in reverse to loosen it up a bit, it needs to be able to slide easily. Then reattach the original clapton back onto the hook then attach a second clapton to the hook and clapton again, it should force this second clapton between the last. When you reach the end of the first clapton twists the ends together and then cut the second from the spool. Unhook the clapton from the hook at the beginning and twist those together. Reverse the drill to loosen it up and slide it off as normal.

Make sure your first clapton only takes up 50-60% of your core wire, it will need the rest of the room for the added wire on the second clapton.

Last edited:

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For those interlocks I use a single spool. Its a trick I started doing a long time ago.

First Clapton like you normally would. When you finish the clapton unhook the beginning and run the drill in reverse to loosen it up a bit, it needs to be able to slide easily. Then reattach the original clapton back onto the hook then attach a second clapton to the hook and clapton again, it should force this second clapton between the last. When you reach the end of the first clapton twists the ends together and then cut the second from the spool. Unhook the clapton from the hook at the beginning and twist those together. Reverse the drill to loosen it up and slide it off as normal.

Make sure your first clapton only takes up 50-60& of your core wire, it will need the rest of the room for the added wire on the second clapton.
I see nice one Raymo. I'll have to try that out because paraclaptons just laugh at me... While I scream at the bench haha

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I see nice one Raymo. I'll have to try that out because paraclaptons just laugh at me... While I scream at the bench haha

I do the triple and Quads the same way but then paraclapping for the second part, its just easier to do and makes it more consistent in my findings.

17881828_1897127037230891_1632141895226359808_n.jpg
37952087_445177442630940_1636063711468716032_n.jpg

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor

Make sure your first clapton only takes up 50-60% of your core wire, it will need the rest of the room for the added wire on the second clapton.
SO MUCH TRUTH!! This is the only way to do it. This is also how I stagger. Pics HERE (post #137)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Superb. Really does make doing Aliens a breeze when you can just grab a decore and crack on. I can't leave mine up in place like that but I do need some longer envelopes as the finer gauge wraps tend to take a longer decore

I like ziplok bags, small bags inside big bags, as long as I put 1 in at a time, they don't tangle, somehow

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
HAHAHA , I better just stick to the basics then. I will get there though. Im having a ton of fun , hehe

In my experience, a gauge lower decore actually makes the alien making easier, up to the coiling part - the alien wrap will be loose, but you can crimp the ends (fold in half with pliers and squeeze) to keep the alien wrap from slipping around

Welcome back @KarmicRage , I sure am happy you're back :cheers: awesome build pics, too

Last edited:

R.Savage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want to try a fralien in an ares mtl rta. What wire would you recommend for this build? I gotta get on par with some of you on this forum. It may be difficult and working with some small ass wire. Recommendations please. Wanna try something other than a twisted or a parallel.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I want to try a fralien in an ares mtl rta. What wire would you recommend for this build? I gotta get on par with some of you on this forum. It may be difficult and working with some small ass wire. Recommendations please. Wanna try something other than a twisted or a parallel.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
First of all Hi. Second I would advise you went with a regular 3 core alien to start off with. Generally fraliens are easier to get to stay straight when fusing but once you're down into the MTL sizes I.E. 30g and smaller you would need to use .2 ribbon wire, which is finicky as fuck even if you know what you're doing with ribbon wire. You could pull off a .3 ribbon fralien but I don't think you would get many wraps in there and would have more chance of touching the deck depending on your fuse wire. I don't own the ares so you might have more room to play with than I can picture in my head. Also a regular high gauge fused Clapton could work well for you. It's a parallel build but the wrap wire makes the coil act slightly different. Just my opinions dude.

VU Sponsors