Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Use ribbon wire and make a slider and use paper clips if needed then the biggest tip use nylon pliers to to pinch the wrapped ribbon and to the cores it really makes them so they lock parallel
I was using ribbon and pinching them but they still collapsed. I'm going to try a paper clip or key ring and add more swivels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like it’ll handle a 4ml no probs hows it vape?
that's 4*26g 3.0mm.. I'd say 3.5 easily, maybe 4.. I'll check later on, gotta do it for the review anyways.. only concern is the airflow inserts under the coil, 4.0 may hit them, I dunno. though I suppose you could raise the coil more.. it vapes awesome.. I've got the more restricted inserts in right now and I like it better than my wasp. my only issue is, I'm not a fan of 510 tips so gonna have to order one of the 24mm/810 top caps for it.. i love the deck though. roomy and easy to build.. though the openings where the wire goes could be bigger.. you can see, had to twist the legs sideways to get them in.. I'd say 4 28g would be about it as far as width without having to twist or crush your legs up to insert them
ea89045b7eab369b147afa95982363c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can't keep these things from twisting. 6x*4 no frames 36 wrap. Think maybe frames would help the twisting when I coil it?
frames do help, but if you are going for a plain staple/target resistance, they might not be an option. the only other thing i can think to suggest, aside from keep trying, is to ask if you cut off your prep/ends before you wrapped it? i have a loop end, where my ribbon is folded in half and tied tight and very stable, and the other end is tied/glued. sometimes my loop end is also glued, but not always. anyway, the point is, i seem to leave my loop/glue ends on until i am installing the coils. i wonder if that gives them extra stability on the coil jig? im trying to think back to the last time i had one of these buckle on me, and im pretty sure my prep is totally different now than it was back then, and theres a chance that the difference for me was actually the prep and not the technique. never really thought about it before and assumed success was a result of practice/progress. another thing that just popped into my head while i was typing that out is that your staple stack is not as wide as mine usually are. my plain staples are at minimum twice as wide as they are tall (6 x .3mm for example) which might make it harder for them to buckle.

anyone have any thoughts on that? do you cut your glued/loop ends off before you wrap, or after? do you use the vise/pliers method or something else? anyone ever tried to wrap up a less wide staple stack?

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
frames do help, but if you are going for a plain staple/target resistance, they might not be an option. the only other thing i can think to suggest, aside from keep trying, is to ask if you cut off your prep/ends before you wrapped it? i have a loop end, where my ribbon is folded in half and tied tight and very stable, and the other end is tied/glued. sometimes my loop end is also glued, but not always. anyway, the point is, i seem to leave my loop/glue ends on until i am installing the coils. i wonder if that gives them extra stability on the coil jig? im trying to think back to the last time i had one of these buckle on me, and im pretty sure my prep is totally different now than it was back then, and theres a chance that the difference for me was actually the prep and not the technique. never really thought about it before and assumed success was a result of practice/progress. another thing that just popped into my head while i was typing that out is that your staple stack is not as wide as mine usually are. my plain staples are at minimum twice as wide as they are tall (6 x .3mm for example) which might make it harder for them to buckle.

anyone have any thoughts on that? do you cut your glued/loop ends off before you wrap, or after? do you use the vise/pliers method or something else? anyone ever tried to wrap up a less wide staple stack?

I usually cut my prepped ends off prior to wrapping. nothing special while wrapping though I do tend to slightly pull away from the hand holding the coil jig with the wraps (of course I do that with just about all coils as well).. I think you hit it on the head when you said it's more prep than technique.. I've found with very few exceptions, a few extra min doing prep will pay off in spades during the build and wrap.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I think there is an issue there with his ribbon prep, while claptoning it, I would like to see his stick before he wraps it, I suspect the ribbon isn't staying stacked when he claptons (just supposing)

I cut the ends if they're fat, but if they're just 2 or a few ribbons I hold the loop end against the jig and wrap away from it

I never had a staple twist (yet...great, jynxed myself) but with the big ugly thing I made yesterday, the ribbon Exploded out of the wrap and that was because I saw two strands collapse and kept going anyway

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think there is an issue there with his ribbon prep, while claptoning it, I would like to see his stick before he wraps it, I suspect the ribbon isn't staying stacked when he claptons (just supposing)

I cut the ends if they're fat, but if they're just 2 or a few ribbons I hold the loop end against the jig and wrap away from it

I never had a staple twist (yet...great, jynxed myself) but withwith big ugly thing I made yesterday, the ribbon Exploded out of the wrap l, and that was because I saw two strands collapse and kept going anyway
how do you wrap yours up (vise/no vise etc)?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
how do you wrap yours up (vise/no vise etc)?

I wrap them just with my hands, just like any other simple coil...using .3 ribbon though, never wrapped anything thicker

I use the needle noses at the end to pull each leg tight, but that's after everything is wrapped and already flat

Oh hey, one thing I notice is that some people actually hold the bit/jig still and move the wire around; I twist the jig while holding the first leg and keep fingers on the wraps the entire time

So left fingers hold what's already wrapped tight, and right thumb just puts pressure on the wire as it goes onto the jig, most of the movement for twisting is with my jig hand

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I never had a staple twist (yet...great, jynxed myself) but with the big ugly thing I made yesterday, the ribbon Exploded out of the wrap and that was because I saw two strands collapse and kept going anyway
I'll do another one in the morning and post it before I wrap and before I coil it. It's got to be something simple though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'll do another one in the morning and post it before I wrap and before I coil it. It's got to be something simple though.

I just realized I'm a fool. Your coils look about square, so like 4 x.4 or around there? I've never tried to wrap 3 or even 4 strands of .3, it's always been 6 or more - I just realized wrapping a more square ribbon stack might be really, really hard

Sorry

I'll have to try 3 and 4 strand coils tomorrow

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Is there a reAson your trying to make such a small staple? It’s been ages since I’ve made one. I keep telling you to put frames on it but I don’t want to keep telling you that if there’s a reason your trying to make smaller staples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I always leave the prep/ends on until after I wrapped it. But, as much as I hate to sound like a broken record here, the #1 thing that helps against these particular kinds of fuckups that keep popping up on here just about every other week is to give it a quick run of the torch before you wrap it. :p

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

I agree with meg in regards to the stack prep

In addition I strongly suspect it’s the tension in the wrap, if you have at any point a slightly twisted strand or pinched section it’ll want to follow that path

I can’t really advise cause I’m all over the place with it myself but these are my thoughts

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just put duals of these bad boys in these ones are so slow to make i think i'm gona sell them by single packs only I enjoy this over aliens i just don't like the craking can it be kanthal cores that cause that craking and popping?
8ddaff36ced269aed9c496d59849dadf.jpg

Lähetetty minun Nexus 6P laitteesta Tapatalkilla

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is there a reAson your trying to make such a small staple? It’s been ages since I’ve made one. I keep telling you to put frames on it but I don’t want to keep telling you that if there’s a reason your trying to make smaller staples

Honestly I just figure a coil not as wide with as many strands would be easier. First time I tried 8ply I was overwhelmed by all the loose strands at the other end of the loop and I just couldn't get it together. Figure less strands would be easier.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Honestly I just figure a coil not as wide with as many strands would be easier. First time I tried 8ply I was overwhelmed by all the loose strands at the other end of the loop and I just couldn't get it together. Figure less strands would be easier.

In some cases that’s true... but with ribbon it’s ALWAYS easier to work with if it’s framed with round wire. Easier to keep the strands together, easier to Clapton, easier to coil/wrap... you really just need to make sure your wire prep is good. Make sure the ribbon is straight and stacked correctly and the frames are straight... tie it together in a few places with ribbon or thin gauge wire so it stays in place and use one of the ribbon ties as a slider...

Edit: I like to use hot glue on the swivel end of the wire so it stays in place there. If you get the stack perfectly stacked and straight you could try hot glue on the drill side also ( I have a clamp in my drill so I don’t do this)

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see what you mean now about being wider than taller. I've got a 10ply here stacked and glued and sliders galore. Is this how yalls look before wrapping? And just be correct the loop goes in the swivels. Just seems backwards that's you get everything tight at the loops. Then tighten to the other free end. But when you wrap you go back towards the loop. I guess that's why everything being tight is a necessity.

7f8cdb4ff898e83047012ebfcc76c916.jpg
928f043091e5784174f9509bd994994d.jpg
9440e259a4e044dcaead952dd1bce7b5.jpg

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I see what you mean now about being wider than taller. I've got a 10ply here stacked and glued and sliders galore. Is this how yalls look before wrapping? And just be correct the loop goes in the swivels. Just seems backwards that's you get everything tight at the loops. Then tighten to the other free end. But when you wrap you go back towards the loop. I guess that's why everything being tight is a necessity.

7f8cdb4ff898e83047012ebfcc76c916.jpg
928f043091e5784174f9509bd994994d.jpg
9440e259a4e044dcaead952dd1bce7b5.jpg

That does look good, did you squish the ribbon sliders withe some pliers? Squish them across the stack

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That does look good, did you squish the ribbon sliders withe some pliers? Squish them across the stack
Yea I've got two tight sliders and one a little less tight. Got it wrapped just gotta coil it. Gonna leave the loop and glue on and see if that helps. My coiling may be the downfall.
1f68e89f7a43963043002f1c005effd8.jpg

Got it coiled nicely up to the last wrap. Damn. At least it's closer.
b94a9b0aa7f08d6a4785bed9051476a7.jpg
bbb33e505d54844a0caa21154f7002fa.jpg

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yea I've got two tight sliders and one a little less tight. Got it wrapped just gotta coil it. Gonna leave the loop and glue on and see if that helps. My coiling may be the downfall.
1f68e89f7a43963043002f1c005effd8.jpg

Got it coiled nicely up to the last wrap. Damn. At least it's closer.
b94a9b0aa7f08d6a4785bed9051476a7.jpg
bbb33e505d54844a0caa21154f7002fa.jpg

That does look a Lot better!

Tonight is when my daughter stays with her dad (one night every 2 weeks), I always make too many plans of what to do but I would like to take some pictures, or even record some video of stuff while I'm building

I also want to try 6x.3 + 6x.3 squaliens, and I want to use my new Temco round wire for something clean, make a nice stagger build, and get a shoebox to organize my wire, and and and... :facepalm:

All I've done this week is make messes; yesterday I dragged a toolbox over about 6 decores I had saved for later, it was horrifying. Most of them were that yucky KBee wire I got, but still... Horrifying :gaah:

Last edited:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Here is a 3(26)x36 alien coil staged with a 28g quad twist. I was going to shoot for something more complicated but instead I chose to go for something that was more vapeable. I have a feeling a won't be able to dual these but that's alright. I'm interested to see how the combination of an alien coil with a quad twist comes out flavor wise.IMG_0841.jpg

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is this how yalls look before wrapping? And just be correct the loop goes in the swivels. Just seems backwards that's you get everything tight at the loops. Then tighten to the other free end. But when you wrap you go back towards the loop. I guess that's why everything being tight is a necessity.
yup thats close enough to what my prep looks like. the loop can technically go to whichever end you want. you can also clapton it from whichever end you want. i fucked up the drill side of the one i made recently by clamping it down too tight (just tight enough to fan out/un-stack the ribbon for an inch or so). when i tried to start it, the ribbon was squished enough that the tension of wrapping it was popping out one ply of ribbon and pulling it under the stack. i tried twice to back up and get it right but it didnt work, so i unwound all my wrap wire, moved to the swivels side and claptoned my way back to the drill instead. by the time i got the to bad part, there was so much good part holding it together that it fixed itself.

you can also glue better swivel/drill ends/loops onto stacks if you want to avoid crushing ribbon in the chuck/clamp, or if your loop end is being fussy (in that video i made you can see that i had to add a better loop to my loop end). sometimes this helps a lot. there is a technique for framed staples where you 'float' your ribbon stack in between the drill/swivels by simply making your frames longer than the ribbon stack, then only attaching the frames to your drill/swivels, leaving like a half inch of air space between your ribbon stack and your drill chuck/clamp and swivels on the other side. this absorbs a lot of the tension that would normally be on the staple stack and can make some of the more complex builds possible/easier.

looks like you almost got it though. did you find it easier with the wider ribbon stack?

also, nice work @Branpro and @The_hat_trix you two are both putting up some crazy builds lately. this current wave of new builders is one of the most talented i have seen yet.

those look badass @Shredtravolta :cheers:

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
pentalien.jpg
Latest build. "Pentalien"? 5 core, understretched alien, star shaped. 36g over 26g Nichrome 80. 5 wraps, 3mm, .14 ohms. Installed in a Gold Kylin Mini RTA on top of my SX Mini G Class Luxury Black Golden Edition model, vaping it at 70.0 watts. Unbelievable vape quality! Flavor like you wouldn't believe, and thick dense clouds!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yup thats close enough to what my prep looks like. the loop can technically go to whichever end you want. you can also clapton it from whichever end you want. i fucked up the drill side of the one i made recently by clamping it down too tight (just tight enough to fan out/un-stack the ribbon for an inch or so). when i tried to start it, the ribbon was squished enough that the tension of wrapping it was popping out one ply of ribbon and pulling it under the stack. i tried twice to back up and get it right but it didnt work, so i unwound all my wrap wire, moved to the swivels side and claptoned my way back to the drill instead. by the time i got the to bad part, there was so much good part holding it together that it fixed itself.

you can also glue better swivel/drill ends/loops onto stacks if you want to avoid crushing ribbon in the chuck/clamp, or if your loop end is being fussy (in that video i made you can see that i had to add a better loop to my loop end). sometimes this helps a lot. there is a technique for framed staples where you 'float' your ribbon stack in between the drill/swivels by simply making your frames longer than the ribbon stack, then only attaching the frames to your drill/swivels, leaving like a half inch of air space between your ribbon stack and your drill chuck/clamp and swivels on the other side. this absorbs a lot of the tension that would normally be on the staple stack and can make some of the more complex builds possible/easier.

looks like you almost got it though. did you find it easier with the wider ribbon stack?

also, nice work @Branpro and @The_hat_trix you two are both putting up some crazy builds lately. this current wave of new builders is one of the most talented i have seen yet.

Yea it was definitely easier being a wider stack. It was more solid and didn't have the give the 6ply did.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
View attachment 107234
Latest build. "Pentalien"? 5 core, understretched alien, star shaped. 36g over 26g Nichrome 80. 5 wraps, 3mm, .14 ohms. Installed in a Gold Kylin Mini RTA on top of my SX Mini G Class Luxury Black Golden Edition model, vaping it at 70.0 watts. Unbelievable vape quality! Flavor like you wouldn't believe, and thick dense clouds!
Very impressive that's a great looking build, kinda like a mohawk alien... I think. Mohawks require that really light touch where you barely put any tension on the decore and just let it gently slide through your fingers. Is this the same principle? It's a really beautiful build I'm glad I caught it on my way out!

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Very impressive that's a great looking build, kinda like a mohawk alien... I think. Mohawks require that really light touch where you barely put any tension on the decore and just let it gently slide through your fingers. Is this the same principle? It's a really beautiful build I'm glad I caught it on my way out!
Yes. Same principle as a Mohawk. 2 more cores and lighter grip lol.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you by the way for your gracious praise!

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

the "floating" does help quite a bit. That's how I do anything with frames.

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just put duals of these bad boys in these ones are so slow to make i think i'm gona sell them by single packs only I enjoy this over aliens i just don't like the craking can it be kanthal cores that cause that craking and popping?
8ddaff36ced269aed9c496d59849dadf.jpg

Anyone know of the name of this RDA and/or any other RDA's with the same screws as this? (I'm notorious for stripping those tiny screws in posts)

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
An Apocalypse has a nice clamp system
da2428f047320b9806608fb148b17043.jpg

yup the apocalypse.. or the rapture, which improves the clamps.. or that newest one, the redemption I think, which put the updated clamps in the apocalypse. the aura has beefy screws as well.. as to that RDA, I've seen it, but the name escapes me currently.. lemme go searching

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
And started production first pair of aliens much more to do i'm going to just stock all coils up until i get ultrasonic
8baf66793b7c3d01de953ca95493f6ae.jpg

PS. I need to come with the name i was think "Coils by The Hat Trix" but maybe it's to boring idk... :D

Last edited:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
And started production first pair of aliens much more to do i'm going to just stock all coils up until i get ultrasonic
8baf66793b7c3d01de953ca95493f6ae.jpg

PS. I need to come with the name i was think "Coils by The Hat Trix" but maybe it's to boring idk... :D
Looking clean man. Very clean. How about "Hat Trix Coil Art". That sounds catchy to me:). Are you an N80 builder? Or are you one of those Kanthal FREAKS...JK!!! I was just curious in case I ever wanted to.. you know.. support the cause.

Last edited:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As a follow up notice how close machine is to the coil jig when winding, secondly I noticed he keeps the pressure on at all times

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/the-official-staple-coil-thread.337271/page-3#post-2086500

the ones I’ve had really shitty results with is when I’m pulling them round or not doing what he showed in that vid end up with messes like this :cuss2:

Those bottom ones still vaped really nice though haha

View attachment 107208
View attachment 107209
Bottom ones look sweeeeet bud I bet they give you a great vape. Very well done.:D

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Looking clean man. Very clean. How about "Hat Trix Coil Art". That sounds catchy to me:). Are you an N80 builder? Or are you one of those Kanthal FREAKS...JK!!! I was just curious in case I ever wanted to.. you know.. support the cause.
Hey i use kanthal for cores but going to switch for NI80 like it more.
And yeah i'm not going to promote in this thread anymore :) And going to sell in finland only. atleast for now when i decide to ship worldwide i will put promotion on the right place :)

PS. thats why i was telling this stuff in here and i just ask aside with post's about think and your opinion ect i think it's okay to do in this thread?

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey i use kanthal for cores but going to switch for NI80 like it more.
And yeah i'm not going to promote in this thread anymore :) And going to sell in finland only. atleast for now when i decide to ship worldwide i will put promotion on the right place :)

PS. thats why i was telling this stuff in here and i just ask aside with post's about think and your opinion ect i think it's okay to do in this thread?
I think promoting your own business on this forum is OK, I mean I'm no authority figure, but I can't see what would be wrong with it. I like the switch to N80 its my personal favorite. When you launch let me know and I will ask to pay you for a pair of your multi core staggered fused claptons. I saw you post them and I thought they were great. Keep going with it man. I wish you all the luck in the world.:)

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think promoting your own business on this forum is OK, I mean I'm no authority figure, but I can't see what would be wrong with it. I like the switch to N80 its my personal favorite. When you launch let me know and I will ask to pay you for a pair of your multi core staggered fused claptons. I saw you post them and I thought they were great. Keep going with it man. I wish you all the luck in the world.:)
yeah promoting is allright but not in this thread it's for post your builds. I will let you know then :)

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hatrix if you have questions speak to me in PM I’ll clarify for you ...
For sure i will :) Okay enough no more about that and lets go back to building just made 3*26/40 tricore fused clapton and holyshit it's so annoying to make. Big props to you guys who work with 46 wires how do you manage to keep your hand so steady for that long time? But here's the coils was extra focusing to keep wraps tight
dd6edaf46ea9b19fa286c0579b844f83.jpg

PS. Why does tapatalk do that putting the picture middle of the sentence.. :mad:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
For sure i will :) Okay enough no more about that and lets go back to building just made 3*26/40 tricore fused clapton and holyshit it's so annoying to make. Big props to you guys who work with 46 wires how do you manage to keep your hand so steady for that long time? But here's the coils was extra focusing to keep wraps tight
dd6edaf46ea9b19fa286c0579b844f83.jpg

PS. Why does tapatalk do that putting the picture middle of the sentence.. :mad:

You do such great work man, you must have very good forethought and preparation!

My first 40 gauge thing looked like This lol, and it's only barely improved :slowclap:
Screenshot_20180223-080706.png

I should say, the first 40awg fuse I bothered installing to vape!

The_hat_trix

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You do such great work man, you must have very good forethought and preparation!

My first 40 gauge thing looked like This lol, and it's only barely improved :slowclap:
View attachment 107313

I should say, the first 40awg fuse I bothered installing to vape!
Thank you :) Yeah prep is the key i fucked up so many times last days with my prep i starting to really focus on it and make it as best as i can do. I still suck with ribbon stacks ect. put staggering and fusing is getting on point. With multicore fusing i use nylon pliers and pinch the sliders really good so they do keep in place and i use quite a lot of tention when i'm fusing.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so i just went to check on the status on my ktx pre-order from @raymo2u 'builders boutique' on etsy and the clamps and the rda are both still in stock for pre-order (should be 'in stock' by tomorrow i think). im very surprised to see theres still some left at this point. cant wait to get my ktx and slap a build into it...the thing looks like a beast :banana:

VU Sponsors