Become a Patron!

Post your builds

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
6a4e1b0d13618134fe94e94036b5a6cd.jpg

442f5ae11ffae85381dfa8444670e5ae.jpg

Sorry i haven't been around much, i just moved from florida up to north carolina. I'm also building the pre-built alien coils for atomizerwick.com and for my old vape shop down south so i've got my hands full! BUT i did manage to squeeze these out last week...

32/38g N80 Aliens in the Sigelei Moonshot RTA

~Dual 6 wraps (spaced) around a 3mm bit
~Clocks in at .4Ω

These lil' buddies perform AMAZINGLY in this tank. Got it sittin' on the IPV D2 running at 75W and it's simply a delightful vape. No dry hits EVER. I'm constantly impressed with the flavor i get on this tank.
7c9c347d2747b5d43b20f6ee5684b04c.jpg

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Let me ask this... I had enough for that 5 wrap alien.. Now when I make parallel coils I will usually wrap the fused clapton or whatever and wrap whatever I'm using to parallel into the grooves... would this be possible with a naked staple? Like a 5 ply possibly?

Instagram: @ohmmage

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Aliens. Freakin' love 'em. They wick great, they have great flavor and clouds, and they're quite versatile when it comes to hitting your desired resistance.
Guess it's aliens next. Finally got staples "down" still having some issues wrapping them (damn them folding), but I know how to do them at least, still work to be done but need a "next task" so to speak, I was going to go staggered with how much talk there was about them here, but I'll go aliens now.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Plain staggered fused Claptons are nothing more than glorified parallel coils. But it's good to learn how to do them, because there are many other builds that you can do using the stagger method.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, and you'll NEVER regret learning to build aliens. Just get ready for a lot of frustration. But, eventually, you will have that "AHA!" moment, and they will get easy after that.

Here's a couple pics of what I'm working on right now. 0.25Ω, 0.50Ω, and 1.00Ω aliens.

2016-05-18 13.55.43.jpg
2016-05-18 13.57.02.jpg

Last edited:

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, and you'll NEVER regret learning to build aliens. Just get ready for a lot of frustration. But, eventually, you will have that "AHA!" moment, and they will get easy after that.

Here's a couple pics of what I'm working on right now. 0.25Ω, 0.50Ω, and 1.00Ω aliens.

View attachment 51464
View attachment 51465
Yeah honestly the first attempts didn't come out looking like an alien at all.. except that it was unidentifiable. But I was really shocked to find out that I did that one last night in about 20-25 minutes.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ill have to do a In Depth video on how to make the Tamers stagger I guess....Its easy once you understand where to turn and hold it.
i was in the craft shop a couple weeks ago asking about spool tamers and they had no idea wtf i was talking about. i went in today to ask about something else and found 3 packs of 3 tamers for 1.50 a pack. i bought them all lol. i guess the girl i talked to last time ordered me some. im all out of wire to test them on, but i would love to see even a short setup guide or any tips on how to get the drone setup going with them.

I see GeekVape are bringing out alien wire.
wow i thought you were kidding. stagger framed staples too holy shit...

http://www.geekvape.com/project/alien-staple-staggered-fused-clapton-coil/

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i was in the craft shop a couple weeks ago asking about spool tamers and they had no idea wtf i was talking about. i went in today to ask about something else and found 3 packs of 3 tamers for 1.50 a pack. i bought them all lol. i guess the girl i talked to last time ordered me some. im all out of wire to test them on, but i would love to see even a short setup guide or any tips on how to get the drone setup going with them.

You want to have the Tamer on the spool and be able to pull out wire with a slight resistance. You need the wire to come off the spool closest to the drill, it should have to bend around the feeder mouth and then to the core wire...this is what causes the staggering, the feeder mouht pushing the wire away from the core wire as the core spins.

Then get the wire wrapped on the drill and core and then clapton around 2 inches into it (you can space the wrap over the 2 inches and not waste as much wire while its spinning.)

Then pull out 3mm-4mm of wire away from the strand and lead it forward to make a spaced wrap, then slowly spin the drill try and find which direction to turn the spool to get it to stagger the wrap while it runs. Try turning the spool at a angle and respacing it-if it doesnt work out, do this until you find where the spool needs to be offset from the core wire.

After you get it to space clapton on its own you need to just keep 2 fingers against the spool to keep it steady and follow it down the wire. After a few times you wont need to hold it as it will cut a groove into the Tamers feeder mouth and it also helps to pinpoint that spot quickly next time..A preset stagger..

Some pics of what mine looks like adjusted for spacing.

20160513_100438.jpg 20160513_100222.jpg 20160513_100212.jpg 20160513_100318.jpg 20160513_100354.jpg

Ill post the video on what you should do with your hands when following the spool, after a few times you can paperclip or hang some magnets or something on the Tamers elastic loop....then you can set up the drone.
Video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByjxYyTSvEyBLVc0a19MMi1KZGM

Last edited:

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have the beadalon tamers, but my issue is that the plastic part fits to snugly into the spool and has a lot of resistance. actually thinking about it I could just sand a little of the plastic off... duh... never thought ot using them like that Ray. No clue why, as looking at your pics it just seem obvious. Heading to bed soon, but I will play with it like that tomorrow.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so i got my spool tamers and im full of inspiration, but i dont have any wire smaller than 28g right now. dying for something to do, i picked up the seven wraps of alien framed staple i made yesterday and tried to put it in the petri. it was too fat to go between the posts, and too long to go in normally. i cut a wrap off and mounted it, but i wanted to try in the middle so i put a smaller jig in it and shrank it till it fit. it got a little beat up in the process lol. im patient enough to make these things, but installing them i always seem to hurt them :confused:
Capture.PNG
2.PNG

MR.G.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let me ask this... I had enough for that 5 wrap alien.. Now when I make parallel coils I will usually wrap the fused clapton or whatever and wrap whatever I'm using to parallel into the grooves... would this be possible with a naked staple? Like a 5 ply possibly?

are you trying to do a naked staple and then wrap an extra wire inbetween each ribbon?

ive done naked staples, they vape very well and are smoother than the wrapped versions, i should still have one set up in an atty somewhere, i need to dig it back out, only reason i dont use it all the time is because since using rta's ive been dialing back the temp, ive gone from vaping 0.07ohm coils on the mech to vaping at 30-40w on a regulated :D

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
are you trying to do a naked staple and then wrap an extra wire inbetween each ribbon?

ive done naked staples, they vape very well and are smoother than the wrapped versions, i should still have one set up in an atty somewhere, i need to dig it back out, only reason i dont use it all the time is because since using rta's ive been dialing back the temp, ive gone from vaping 0.07ohm coils on the mech to vaping at 30-40w on a regulated :D
No I had wanted naked staples running parallel to my alien. Always wanted to try em

MR.G.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No I had wanted naked staples running parallel to my alien. Always wanted to try em

I would wrap both of the wires onto your mandrel and install them into position on the atty so they are set to go then take em back out and then unwrap or cut your naked with both wires still together.

On the Goon atty?

would look awesome though! :D i'd make one but i'd only go back to vaping single strand boring coils as i do now, maybe i might try find the time just for the pic if anything lol

ya best make one quick before i do ;)

Last edited:

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 15.01.17.png

So looks like its a flat wire with alien wrap, I have done those and they are good. 30awg seems a bit chunky for the wrap though.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
AdvanceVapeSupply are about to carry premade lengths of SS Aliens,, Staggereds, and Staples

Oh shit, looks like you guys came to a deal eh? Very nice! Hopefully they put your name on the package though, get credit for your work, you damn well deserve it!

So they have you making lengths instead of set coils? That's actually pretty sweet, saves you some effort and time, and allows for more customizability, Kudos to you guys!

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
he he it would drive me nuts sitting by the drill all day, ok as a hobby - shit as work :D but as long as people want FCs and staggered and anything else that can be done automatically that's not too bad. Incidentally you can bend paperclips to turn your spool tamers into a jig setup, paperclips are good.

NfurSrdm.jpg

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
AdvanceVapeSupply are about to carry premade lengths of SS Aliens,, Staggereds, and Staples

Another thing, are they gonna supply you with wire now? Or are they just kinda buying large numbers of lengths from you essentially? Would be pretty cool if they became a wire sponsor for you too!

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went on their site and only saw rolls of 20feet or 30 feet SS. Id want more on a roll, like at least 50 or 100, especially for higher gauges.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
he he it would drive me nuts sitting by the drill all day, ok as a hobby - shit as work :D but as long as people want FCs and staggered and anything else that can be done automatically that's not too bad. Incidentally you can bend paperclips to turn your spool tamers into a jig setup, paperclips are good.

NfurSrdm.jpg
Not a bad idea!!!

Another thing, are they gonna supply you with wire now? Or are they just kinda buying large numbers of lengths from you essentially? Would be pretty cool if they became a wire sponsor for you too!
Yea their sending my the SS they make in house, I didnt even know there was a SS Ribbon out yet! I just checked KP and see it listed there also..Im about as happy as I could be :D

On another Note.
I am practicing my Alien Game for much higher resistances and thinner gauges all around. I made these earlier as I wasnt confident I could pull them off, after making them I can see they are easier then I thought...the claptoning is the pain in the ass part as the wire kept jumping out of the drill or breaking.

Specs: 3 x 32KA1/40N80 Aliens (6 Wraps/2.5mm ID @ .33 Ohms) Im actually using them and they are hot as 70w on the Velocity/Kbox70!!

20160519_101305.jpg 20160519_101552.jpg
20160519_101344.jpg 20160519_102213.jpg 20160519_105945.jpg 20160519_110638.jpg 20160519_110846.jpg20160519_110828.jpg 20160519_110723.jpg 20160519_110904.jpg

Last edited:

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not a bad idea!!!

Yea their sending my the SS they make in house, I didnt even know there was a SS Ribbon out yet! I just checked KP and see it listed there also..Im about as happy as I could be :D

On another Note.
I am practicing my Alien Game for much higher resistances and thinner gauges all around. I made these earlier as I wasnt confident I could pull them off, after making them I can see they are easier then I thought...the claptoning is the pain in the ass part as the wire kept jumping out of the drill or breaking.

Specs: 3 x 32KA1/40N80 Aliens (6 Wraps/2.5mm ID @ .33 Ohms) Im actually using them and they are hot as 70w on the Velocity/Kbox70!!

View attachment 51557 View attachment 51552 View attachment 51550 View attachment 51553 View attachment 51555 View attachment 51556 View attachment 51554 View attachment 51551 View attachment 51549 View attachment 51558

My limit on alien wrap is 38 gauge, 40 drives me mad its just too flimsy so I know that is dedicated work to get those things done :)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My limit on alien wrap is 38 gauge, 40 drives me mad its just too flimsy so I know that is dedicated work to get those things done :)
Ive noticed if you only do enough to make a coil or slightly more at a time then you have less risk of it bunching up while hanging, which was my issue in the past...since I tried only doing 8" worth there wasnt much on the floor and it went quickly. Normally when I make anything I go from one side of the bench to the other, atleast 35" of wire....with Aliens this can pose as a problem if you hanging wire isnt strung through a tube or something.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive noticed if you only do enough to make a coil or slightly more at a time then you have less risk of it bunching up while hanging, which was my issue in the past...since I tried only doing 8" worth there wasnt much on the floor and it went quickly. Normally when I make anything I go from one side of the bench to the other, at least 35" of wire....with Aliens this can pose as a problem if you hanging wire isnt strung through a tube or something.

Ha ha I only ever do one at a time, with the 26 cores you don't even need any binding to hold them for a 5-6 inch length they will stay un-bunched on their own. With long lengths you are always fighting against inertia at the swivel end and you get twists in the wire. I did try 40 wrap on some 30awg the other day and it ended as two distinct messes, all the 30 started bunching as mess 1 and the wrap ended up as about 4 different interlocked tangles on the floor as mess 2 - a highly successful few minutes well spent :)

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea their sending my the SS they make in house, I didnt even know there was a SS Ribbon out yet! I just checked KP and see it listed there also..Im about as happy as I could be
On another Note.

That's cool, gonna have all the wire you need now! and those are pretty! Soooo damn small, gotta love that macro lens!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Finally made a half decent alien. Probably pretty standard and boring by now for everyone else, but shit, Im kinda happy bout it. The first alien I ever got right was still pretty shitty, so happy this turned out better. Still a little wonky, but itll work nice.

29lbbpd.jpg
Atleast you got it, now you know what to do and how to do it! Get some more practice time in and you'll be pumping them out like nothing shortly!!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I tried making some SSFC's that would be high enough in resistance to run Dual Coils...well I accomplished it but know now to use Kanthal Ribbon and less Ribbon so I can use them on a Parallel Box.

9 x .4R/26KA1/36N80/40N80 (4 Wraps/3.5mm ID @ .07 Ohms)

20160519_203110.jpg 20160519_203741.jpg 20160519_204858.jpg 20160519_204208.jpg 20160519_203937.jpg 20160519_203833.jpg 20160519_204929.jpg 20160519_204918.jpg

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need some help finding a good build for a single 18650 mech mod. I just cant get one that hits decently, they are all too cool and low powered. I build around 0.2-0.25 on them (with VTC4s so could probably go just a little lower) but cant find one that fits my bill. Anything high mass is out as there isnt enough power. Ive been messing around with parallel builds, and currently using 28k/26ss316L in parallel, 7 wraps, 2.5mm. This one hits just ok, but its kinda mediocre at best. I like a nice thick warm vape and I just cant seem to get that out of a single battery mech. Help?

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
all i have to work with is ribbon and 20-28 gauge. used the last of my .4 ribbon to try a three core 28g fused clapton with tsuka wraps. doing the wrapping on this was more frustrating than aliens for me. they seem like they are very prone to grabbing onto the last wrap and doubling back on themselves. i might try another one tonight with two cores and .5mm wrap and see how that goes.
Capture.PNG

@Mythical_OD i run 28gauge fused claptons in my sapor at .21 on a tube and its a pretty nice vape. it gets warm and you can get a fairly nice 3-4 second drag.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive always built around .15 on a Tube with 25R's Some 24KA1/46N80 Fused Claptons (6 wrap/3mm ID) work well on it

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I need some help finding a good build for a single 18650 mech mod. I just cant get one that hits decently, they are all too cool and low powered. I build around 0.2-0.25 on them (with VTC4s so could probably go just a little lower) but cant find one that fits my bill. Anything high mass is out as there isnt enough power. Ive been messing around with parallel builds, and currently using 28k/26ss316L in parallel, 7 wraps, 2.5mm. This one hits just ok, but its kinda mediocre at best. I like a nice thick warm vape and I just cant seem to get that out of a single battery mech. Help?
Maybe decrease to 5 or 6 wraps, I've been having the same issue honestly, currently running 28/38n80 sfc's 5 wrap 2.5mm .2ohm and they don't really hit too hard but have very little Ramp up. It would probably be perfect with SS.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Auto aliening, omg is that a 'thing'!

Not yet, but first attempt looks like it is do-able.

5qhig7Qm.jpg
I tried spooling up a stretched decored clapton and if you have it barely understretched and have it feed a little loose you can auto alien. The thing is that once it starts bunching up or something goes wrong you risk destroying that whole spool of alien wrap from the pressure on it

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried spooling up a stretched decored clapton and if you have it barely understretched and have it feed a little loose you can auto alien. The thing is that once it starts bunching up or something goes wrong you risk destroying that whole spool of alien wrap from the pressure on it
I don't think you can ever do it from a spool, the spring shapes will interlock and snag the feed. But if you can do just one coil at a time with just the few feet of decore laying around being fed by the jig that would be easy enough to deal with. It is more the challenge of making the right jig than anything...you still have to stretch the decore the right amount, which you can measure. The jig can only feed the wire at the right angle and tension for you which would cut out the tedious bit. It was a decent first attempt at a jig but it needs a lot of messing with to get right, I am only trying it with flattened wire for now so no worries with bunchups. Silicone tubing for tension and the right feed angle on the jig ....thats as far as I got for now :)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I don't think you can ever do it from a spool, the spring shapes will interlock and snag the feed. But if you can do just one coil at a time with just the few feet of decore laying around being fed by the jig that would be easy enough to deal with. It is more the challenge of making the right jig than anything...you still have to stretch the decore the right amount, which you can measure. The jig can only feed the wire at the right angle and tension for you which would cut out the tedious bit. It was a decent first attempt at a jig but it needs a lot of messing with to get right, I am only trying it with flattened wire for now so no worries with bunchups. Silicone tubing for tension and the right feed angle on the jig ....thats as far as I got for now :)
If you loosely spool it side by side it works, like how I do the Tsuka wrap, once it screws up though its garbage..Your Comment the other days about the stretch equation has been great. Though I dont need a ruler anymore since I measured it in the office and then marked where on the floor it really helps speed things up!

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you loosely spool it side by side it works, like how I do the Tsuka wrap, once it screws up though its garbage..Your Comment the other days about the stretch equation has been great. Though I dont need a ruler anymore since I measured it in the office and then marked where on the floor it really helps speed things up!

Ha ha, everybody in this thread tends to be helpful....you probably realise just how unusual that is on the interwebs.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
regarding the magic number to stretch your alien: do you pull it to the measured amount and let go (allowing the wrap to shrink a little), or do you stretch passed that amount so it shrinks down to sit right at whatever length the math gives you?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
regarding the magic number to stretch your alien: do you pull it to the measured amount and let go (allowing the wrap to shrink a little), or do you stretch passed that amount so it shrinks down to sit right at whatever length the math gives you?
Stretched it to it and let it stretch back

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is the concept for fraliens the same thing as a standard alien? Or is there a ratio to go off with the amount of staples to put in the middle? Looking to do a Tsuka as well, just hope I have enough ribbon to do all this.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Is the concept for fraliens the same thing as a standard alien? Or is there a ratio to go off with the amount of staples to put in the middle? Looking to do a Tsuka as well, just hope I have enough ribbon to do all this.

So many different names..lol. The Wrap for the Framed Staples should be claptoned off what your using for your frames, the amount of Ribbon should be around the same thickness as the wire your using for the frames.
You need atleast 10-12ft of Ribbon for a Dual Coil and you need to twist the Ribbon enough so the Twist lays flat over the cores much like the Alien wrap.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So many different names..lol. The Wrap for the Framed Staples should be claptoned off what your using for your frames, the amount of Ribbon should be around the same thickness as the wire your using for the frames.
You need atleast 10-12ft of Ribbon for a Dual Coil and you need to twist the Ribbon enough so the Twist lays flat over the cores much like the Alien wrap.
Yeah that one has the most lol. Hope to be posting pics soon, thanks guys. Also, congrats on the deal you landed making wire, Ray. That's awesome!!

VU Sponsors