Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cooled off here last night....it's about 68 degrees now....feels good.

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is this battery still okay? Left battery bottom..err.. positive end. Skin is cracking..
6ec0600f62faf512790959fd2492e324.jpg

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Rich.....:wave:
Did the rain turn to snow last night?
Yeah, just after midnight, and didn't stop until around 5 PM today. Because visibility wasn't low enough, I reject their claim that it was a blizzard, but certainly fit the winter weather warning category for "snow storm." We were on the edge of the system all day, so we only got 6-8" with drifts 2-3 feet (one in horse corral was even more, but being over my waist in height, I didn't go close enough to measure). 50-100 miles southeast got nearly two feet of snowfall, so while I feel sorry for them, I am glad it was them and not me. No grass is visible in any direction for miles, so once again, Spring has been set back. [we have a hundred lilac bushes that were leafing mid March the last few years and the leaf buds aren't even close to opening yet this year]
Oh well...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, just after midnight, and didn't stop until around 5 PM today. Because visibility wasn't low enough, I reject their claim that it was a blizzard, but certainly fit the winter weather warning category for "snow storm." We were on the edge of the system all day, so we only got 6-8" with drifts 2-3 feet (one in horse corral was even more, but being over my waist in height, I didn't go close enough to measure). 50-100 miles southeast got nearly two feet of snowfall, so while I feel sorry for them, I am glad it was them and not me. No grass is visible in any direction for miles, so once again, Spring has been set back. [we have a hundred lilac bushes that were leafing mid March the last few years and the leaf buds aren't even close to opening yet this year]
Oh well...
All that global warming I assume.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Is this battery still okay? Left battery bottom..err.. positive end. Skin is cracking..
If those are 18650s and you are using them in a standard mod (i.e., not a reverse polarity type), the bottom is NEGATIVE, as is the frame of the mod, and constitutes chassis ground to the circuitry, which means that blue plastic wrap could be removed entirely and there would be no danger unless you drop it in your pocket with keys and loose change.

Rewrap? If you are worried, go for it, but a simple piece of scotch tape will do the same thing. Neither are necessary, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was watching a video from Croatia today, green leaves on the trees with about a foot of new snow.....guess it's not just here.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I need to run to the store, be back in a few...if I miss anyone...have a great day tomorrow....:wave:

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If those are 18650s and you are using them in a standard mod (i.e., not a reverse polarity type), the bottom is NEGATIVE, as is the frame of the mod, and constitutes chassis ground to the circuitry, which means that blue plastic wrap could be removed entirely and there would be no danger unless you drop it in your pocket with keys and loose change.

Rewrap? If you are worried, go for it, but a simple piece of scotch tape will do the same thing. Neither are necessary, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.
Yep they are 18650 but it's in series .. the cracked part it on the positive end.
180fd99557e2c46bab7ecd3946de1739.jpg

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK, Chod, you see the white ring around the positive contact? THAT is the real insulator between positive and negative on those batteries. If you peel ALL the blue plastic off, what you will find is that the negative contact of that battery goes from the lip (just outside the white ring and under the blue wrap, all the way down the side and across the bottom. It is all one piece of metal. So, essentially, everything that is covered by that blue plastic is the negative contact. The only reason why these batteries are wrapped at all is due to user stupidity (shorting the batteries against car keys in their pocket and getting flash burns) and the warm fuzzy feeling people get by having a product that "appears" to be safe. (Of course, if you do strip it all off, be sure to insert the battery into your mod in such a fashion as to not short the positive terminal while so doing.)

Do you have an old battery that is ready for the garbage but you haven't thrown it away yet? If so, peel all the wrapping off and do a conductivity test (do you own or have access to a VOM?) and you will discover what I have told you above is the truth. The wrap is there to cover the manufacturer's ass in case stupid people hurt themselves and want to sue somebody. Ladders today come with warnings not to stand them on frozen cow shit because someone did, and when the shit thawed and the ladder fell over, he got hurt and blamed the manufacturer for HIS stupidity. And, of course, if I was a seller of new battery wraps, I would INSIST on selling you a new one. Follow the money trail...

EDIT: I have several batteries with much more missing wrap than yours and have been using them for years with no problems. Of course, I am careful when inserting them in my mod.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This damn website is as slow as a snail tonight........

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I wonder what happened to Crom... made one short post and disappeared. Then Chod never came back...

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, Chod, you see the white ring around the positive contact? THAT is the real insulator between positive and negative on those batteries. If you peel ALL the blue plastic off, what you will find is that the negative contact of that battery goes from the lip (just outside the white ring and under the blue wrap, all the way down the side and across the bottom. It is all one piece of metal. So, essentially, everything that is covered by that blue plastic is the negative contact. The only reason why these batteries are wrapped at all is due to user stupidity (shorting the batteries against car keys in their pocket and getting flash burns) and the warm fuzzy feeling people get by having a product that "appears" to be safe. (Of course, if you do strip it all off, be sure to insert the battery into your mod in such a fashion as to not short the positive terminal while so doing.)

Do you have an old battery that is ready for the garbage but you haven't thrown it away yet? If so, peel all the wrapping off and do a conductivity test (do you own or have access to a VOM?) and you will discover what I have told you above is the truth. The wrap is there to cover the manufacturer's ass in case stupid people hurt themselves and want to sue somebody. Ladders today come with warnings not to stand them on frozen cow shit because someone did, and when the shit thawed and the ladder fell over, he got hurt and blamed the manufacturer for HIS stupidity. And, of course, if I was a seller of new battery wraps, I would INSIST on selling you a new one. Follow the money trail...

EDIT: I have several batteries with much more missing wrap than yours and have been using them for years with no problems. Of course, I am careful when inserting them in my mod.
Thanks for the insight. I will continue to use these and probably tape it up for the time being. . I have a third set I can swap out when I decide to trash this one. I really only use one mod at a time.. Good stuff.. thanks!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the insight. I will continue to use these and probably tape it up for the time being. . I have a third set I can swap out when I decide to trash this one. I really only use one mod at a time.. Good stuff.. thanks!
You are most welcome. By the way, if that mod is a two-battery-in-series type, you might try the pink batteries instead of blue. My wife says they last longer (she has mods that use 2 and 3 batteries - all of mine are singles). By "last longer," I mean the total daily power draw. I have a couple of those blue ones that are nearly three years old and still work fine in my single-battery mods, but typically last less than one day before needing a recharge. I also have the yellows and the browns and am most fond of the browns, but I am just a tootle puffer (nine single-battery mods sitting between the keyboard and display, all with different batteries in them), so take it for what it's worth.

Oh wait, Dale has a link in his signature about batteries. I never went there, but maybe he knows something I haven't checked out yet. Click that and see where it goes...

choderfett

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The blue set I have are Samsung’s 18650 25R which I’ve read are 2500mah at 3.6V
The second and third set I have are the same which are green Sony VTC5 18650 2600mah 3.7V

I’ve had the blue ones for years now when I tried vaping years ago.. so I don’t mind thrashing them soon.. but they are still going strong in my Revenger X.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The blue set I have are Samsung’s 18650 25R which I’ve read are 2500mah at 3.6V
The second and third set I have are the same which are green Sony VTC5 18650 2600mah 3.7V

I’ve had the blue ones for years now when I tried vaping years ago.. so I don’t mind thrashing them soon.. but they are still going strong in my Revenger X.
Still have some old samsungs I bought few years ago, and the LG brownies, they seem to last the longest.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
He said basically old age, and other ailments. I really can't remember the exact problems, but his bones and muscles ache.
Guess all we can do is send good thoughts his way and hope he improves.
the LG brownies, they seem to last the longest
Yup, that's the brown ones I have (3000 mAh). I get usually two days out of one of those and one day out of all the others.

Well, midnight and I'm turning into a pumpkin again, so better find my pillow quickly. Nite all.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In a series 2 battery mod the wrapper is a BIG thing.
The case on one battery is the positive of the first battery and if the cases on the batteries make electrical contact very bad things happen. ie direct short for the first battery.
Also if the case of the mod is ground and the case of the second battery touches it, again bad things happen.

Always keep wraps in perfect condition.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’d have to go buy some wraps.. need to learn how to do it.. I’ll stop using those batts for now and leave it on the side.. they are drained anyhow.
Good idea. Wraps are easy although some need about 1/8 inch trimmed off.
Hair dryer can work for the shrink but I use a Bic lighter waved around under the wrap while observing the shrinkage.
But then I have a long history of using shrink tubing in electronics.
Be sure and put the little washer thing back on the top. That is very important.

Plenty of vids out there on re-wrapping.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Good morning OPs, changing the subject for a minute. Did anyone give a look-see to the new "Lost in Space" that was released on Netflix yesterday? I watched two episodes, not quite sure what to think. Have been having trouble watching TV lately anyway - reading has my attention more lately.

Hope everyone is well.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Good morning OPs, changing the subject for a minute. Did anyone give a look-see to the new "Lost in Space" that was released on Netflix yesterday? I watched two episodes, not quite sure what to think. Have been having trouble watching TV lately anyway - reading has my attention more lately.

Hope everyone is well.

Mr Juicy was blathering about it last night

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hope everyone is well.
Nope had no idea that it existed.
Might have to try another free Netflix trial :)

VU Sponsors