Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I wear it when the temperatures won't get above 50°.

Hmmmm, temperature below 50 °F is when I switch from short sleeves to long sleeve shirts, then a light jacket below about 35 °F. I don't even own a parka, but I do switch to my heavy-duty insulated jacket when it gets below about 20 °F and add ski gloves when it gets below 0 °F. :D I guess what one wears depends entirely on what you are used to. In the summer, when it gets to 105 °F, I am still in long pants. Never wear shorts on a farm because barbed wire makes nasty slices...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, that's tomorrow. Actually, it depends on which web site you choose to believe, it will be somewhere between 8" and 24", and if we do indeed get the blizzard winds, add in that there will be 4-5 foot drifts.
It is getting windy tonight here, haven't watched the weather cuz it's usually the same....warm-sunny.

Until June July August rolls around, then it's sunny and hotter than hell......:(

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Until June July August rolls around, then it's sunny and hotter than hell

Are you somewhere around Phoenix? Folks there not only have to contend with the 100+ summer temps, but the retirees from NuYawk who insists on watering their lawns and driving up the humidity.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are you somewhere around Phoenix? Folks there not only have to contend with the 100+ summer temps, but the retirees from NuYawk who insists on watering their lawns and driving up the humidity.
I'm in N. Scottsdale....which is north of Phoenix.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm in N. Scottsdale....which is north of Phoenix.
OK, been there.
Rich, what is your plan if you don't have grass in a couple weeks?
A neighboring rancher keeps some old round bales in reserve and he'll bring me a couple in exchange for raw milk (6 gallons per bale). It is not the most nutritious stuff, but it'll keep the cows away from ketosis until the pastures green up.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, been there.

A neighboring rancher keeps some old round bales in reserve and he'll bring me a couple in exchange for raw milk (6 gallons per bale). It is not the most nutritious stuff, but it'll keep the cows away from ketosis until the pastures green up.
Well at least you have a fallback.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Which is why it pays to stay friendly with all your neighbors.*

*definition of a neighbor in the middle of nowhere: Any rancher who lives within 25 miles of you. My nearest neighbor, "the guy next door," is a shade over a mile away.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Which is why it pays to stay friendly with all your neighbors.*

The only neighbors I can't stand is thieves. One was stealing firewood and dog food. If the jackass would have asked, I'd have helped him out.
Now, I have a game camera set up, and a padlock on the dog food container.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I already did my time in hell (having a neighbor's house almost touching mine - well, 15 feet away). This is why I now live in a place where you cannot even see your nearest neighbor.

As for stealing from me... I think my sign says "There is nothing here worth dying for. And if my first shot doesn't kill you, the dogs will finish the job."

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I already did my time in hell (having a neighbor's house almost touching mine - well, 15 feet away). This is why I now live in a place where you cannot even see your nearest neighbor.

As for stealing from me... I think my sign says "There is nothing here worth dying for. And if my first shot doesn't kill you, the dogs will finish the job."
Then there is the trained attack chickens.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of my neighbors is a deputy sheriff, just voted in to be Justice of the Peace. He has cameras all around his house. I am also a friend of the county sheriff.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That is an option. However, for a misdemeanor, they probably would not get him into a courtroom.
I don't know if depriving my animals of their food would be merely a misdemeanor. If you endanger my livestock, you endanger me, and shooting the bastard might be self defense.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Geese should do a good job. They'll attack for the hell of it.
If we had a pond, we'd probably have some geese too. I'd kind of like to get some peacocks. They are better guard dogs than most dogs. They set off an alarm screech when a stranger invades that can be heard for miles. But for right now, my two Great Pyrenees protect all our critters (and their food) and Jasper weighs in at about 120 pounds, so he is rather intimidating to strangers.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know if depriving my animals of their food would be merely a misdemeanor. If you endanger my livestock, you endanger me, and shooting the bastard might be self defense.
My dogs are not legally considered livestock, since I don't eat, sell, or butcher them. They would be considered property. However, i can kill as long as I can say I felt my life was in danger.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If we had a pond, we'd probably have some geese too. I'd kind of like to get some peacocks. They are better guard dogs than most dogs. They set off an alarm screech when a stranger invades that can be heard for miles. But for right now, my two Great Pyrenees protect all our critters (and their food) and Jasper weighs in at about 120 pounds, so he is rather intimidating to strangers.
Those are magnificent dogs. Cute even, when I had one climb onto my lap for some attention.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My dogs are not legally considered livestock, since I don't eat, sell, or butcher them. They would be considered property..
Of course dogs are not legally livestock, but I would have the lawyer claim that stealing their food endangered their lives and, therefore, endangered the lives of the livestock they protect by depriving them of their protection. While our Pyrs probably would never directly attack a person, they will kill a coyote or fox on sight because they know that those predators intend to eat our chickens, which provide us with breakfast every day (blah blah blah).
i can kill as long as I can say I felt my life was in danger.
That's one of the things I have always liked about Texas... and South Dakota. Back in Orygun, you had to prove your life was in danger. Here, all I have to do is believe my life -- or the life of someone else -- was in danger.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In Wisconsin, it did not matter if my life was in danger. The cops said not to call them until after the fact. So, I left, at the ripe old age of 18. I had enough of their stupid bullshit.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Those are magnificent dogs. Cute even, when I had one climb onto my lap for some attention.
Yeah, I love the heck outta them. We also have a large Doberman who lives in the house (most people are afraid of them because of the way they are depicted in movies) and a Belgian Malenois who wears a Sheriff badge and is smarter than most people.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
In Wisconsin, it did not matter if my life was in danger. The cops said not to call them until after the fact. So, I left, at the ripe old age of 18. I had enough of their stupid bullshit.
I had a friend who just moved out of Wisconsin and he told me many times that the cops were more friendly to the criminals than anyone who called for help. He had a neighbor who was constantly abusing him and his property, yet the cops always befriended the bad guy, not him.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had a friend who just moved out of Wisconsin and he told me many times that the cops were more friendly to the criminals than anyone who called for help. He had a neighbor who was constantly abusing him and his property, yet the cops always befriended the bad guy, not him.
They actually told me that assault and battery was a misdemeanor, but fighting back was a felony.
It took a long time before I could be friendly with cops after that.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They actually told me that assault and battery was a misdemeanor, but fighting back was a felony.
This was me in Bend, Oregon, 1990 (evenings and weekends). We would put our lives in danger to protect you. Someone assaulting you? He'd get my .357 between the eyes. I think any cop who would do less needs to get another job.

officer Amber.jpg

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Almost midnight. 31 degrees and raining heavily. It will turn to snow any minute now. I guess the "storm" is just about to start. Sigh... :(

Well, time to turn out the lights. <CLICK>

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Talked to Jimi today....he's in some real pain...back knees shoulders...et al....said he was soaking a knee in ice at that moment.

Thanks for the update inspects :cool:. Would love for it to have been better news, but it is what it is.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gonna hit the sac here too shortly. Gotta drag my ass to work for 10AM and that's gonna get here way too early.

Almost midnight. 31 degrees and raining heavily. It will turn to snow any minute now. I guess the "storm" is just about to start. Sigh... :(

Well, time to turn out the lights. <CLICK>

We've got a potentially bad ice storm in the making here (Southern Ontario), starting around mid day Saturday through mid afternoon Sunday. Might get more rain after that for a while too :wait:

Going to spend some time after work tomorrow watching the forecast and getting things ready here. I don't mind snow, but ice can be really nasty. Hoping for the best :)

G'nite Pharts.

VU Sponsors