Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Jimi is probably tired out from weeding his garden. I am beginning to wonder if mine will ever get dry enough to till so I can plant those squash seeds.

Oh, and news I just got today: That severe thunderstorm where we lost of electricity the other night... a neighboring rancher, 5 miles north of us, claims they were hit with a tornado that night. While I doubt that (they never actually saw it), a severe storm can produce microbursts and downrush winds over 100 mph, and one of their outbuilding was totally destroyed and another had the roof removed. Wow! And they live in a reasonably protected little hollow where they should have been more shielded than us.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi is probably tired out from weeding his garden. I am beginning to wonder if mine will ever get dry enough to till so I can plant those squash seeds.

Oh, and news I just got today: That severe thunderstorm where we lost of electricity the other night... a neighboring rancher, 5 miles north of us, claims they were hit with a tornado that night. While I doubt that (they never actually saw it), a severe storm can produce downrush winds over 100 mph, and one of their outbuilding was totally destroyed and another had the roof removed. Wow! And they live in a reasonably protected little hollow where they should have been more shielded than us.
Oh I know, we get the same shit here during monsoon season, ripping shit out of the ground like no tomorrow.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just for a couple more days, then dip back into the 70s, but more thunderstorms. This is way too many damn thunderstorms.
Yeah it's crazy....my buddy in Kansas says it's one hot miserable sob there too. I have NO idea why it's been so damn nice here. Hell, I didn't even turn the A/C on at my office until about 4:00 this afternoon and it was only 80 degrees inside, below 100 outside.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Shit....11:00 already, I gotta hit the rack for another adventure tomorrow.....:crazy:

Have a good one, Rich

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Now for something totally different: Vaping Talk!

I just accidentally knocked over a few mods on my desk (gentle click click as they tipped) and one of my beloved Kanger Protanks came apart. I have dropped that thing on the ground, on the stairs, on wood, on concrete, and it has never broken, but this gentle tip-over made the tank totally come apart. Nothing appears to be "broken," but the glass and metal parts have separated and I can't seem to get them to stick together again. Are the damn parts glued? Shit, I have no idea. But I guess I shouldn't bitch too much because I have abused it for four years now, but this baffles me.

OH, and you just posted your nitely nite message, so I guess I should look at the clock more often and go crawl in the sack too, Talk at ya tomorrow.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Sweetie, it's the end of June. Forget about the squash seeds, there's nowhere near enough time for them to even blossom before the first frost, much less make fruit. ;) I might have enough time to get some cucumbers in for pickles (they only take two months), but squashes are way past planting time now. Maybe next year...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Now for something totally different: Vaping Talk!

I just accidentally knocked over a few mods on my desk (gentle click click as they tipped) and one of my beloved Kanger Protanks came apart. I have dropped that thing on the ground, on the stairs, on wood, on concrete, and it has never broken, but this gentle tip-over made the tank totally come apart. Nothing appears to be "broken," but the glass and metal parts have separated and I can't seem to get them to stick together again. Are the damn parts glued? Shit, I have no idea. But I guess I shouldn't bitch too much because I have abused it for four years now, but this baffles me.

OH, and you just posted your nitely nite message, so I guess I should look at the clock more often and go crawl in the sack too, Talk at ya tomorrow.
Been so long since I used one, can't remember a thing.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Only 86 °F outside today but 90 °F in the house with 78% RH ("feels like" 112 °F on the couch). :( Both in and out, I was almost constantly wiping my face with a small towel.
Looked earlier, might cool down in another day for you.....hopefully.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I am hoping they are right this time.

Isn't a high RH rare in the higher altitudes like your EC place?
Get the ocean breezes, can get brutal at times...but the 90's is way out of line....usually in the upper 70's.

Perhaps a volcano popped nobody mentioned yet, their a lil slow down there getting info out.....:)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh, and I forgot I was gonna tell you about lightning damage. I thought we got through that nasty thunderstorm from a couple days ago unscathed, but when I was looking for our cows tonight, I was up on our little hill (NE corner) and found two Ash trees that were literally blown apart. Snapped off about a foot or so above the ground with the tops of the trees blown 15-20 feet away from the trunk. Clearly not something the cows could have done. But I guess that is not as bad as the neighbor loosing her outbuildings.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, and I forgot I was gonna tell you about lightning damage. I thought we got through that nasty thunderstorm from a couple days ago unscathed, but when I was looking for our cows tonight, I was up on our little hill (NE corner) and found two Ash trees that were literally blown apart. Snapped off about a foot or so above the ground with the tops of the trees blown 15-20 feet away from the trunk. Clearly not something the cows could have done. But I guess that is not as bad as the neighbor loosing her outbuildings.
Unbelievable. Only actually seen one tree get hit with lightning many years ago, a tall pine, it blew the shit out of it and could feel the charge in the soil I was standing on. Made me a little more cautious about lightening after than escapade.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, if you are caught out in the open during an intense lightning storm, just lie down on the ground (preferably in a ditch) and do not EVER stand under a tree. If lightning hits the tree, it might well use you are the next step to ground and you wouldn't look very good after being toasted. When I was 10 years old and pedaling my ass around town delivering newspapers, lightning hit a power pole right when I was biking under it. I got lucky that it did not zap me, but the concussion knocked me off my bike and scared the shit out of me.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, if you are caught out in the open during an intense lightning storm, just lie down on the ground (preferably in a ditch) and do not EVER stand under a tree. If lightning hits the tree, it might well use you are the next step to ground and you wouldn't look very good after being toasted. When I was 10 years old and pedaling my ass around town delivering newspapers, lightning hit a power pole right when I was biking under it. I got lucky that it did not zap me, but the concussion knocked me off my bike and scared the shit out of me.
Oh I know, the force was incredible, I'll never forget that deal. Hell, we were just drinking a few beers and some clouds started coming in, hadn't even began to rain yet.....BANG and BRIGHT light.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My goodness, but you are early tonight.

Only got up to 75 °F here today, with thunderstorms and rain. They had another SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING out for us today, but all the really bad shit went south of us (thank Gawd). The forecast for the coming week is thunderstorms every single day. This crap just does not happen here. I feel like someone is fucking with the weather.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My goodness, but you are early tonight.

Only got up to 75 °F here today, with thunderstorms and rain. They had another SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING out for us today, but all the really bad shit went south of us (thank Gawd). The forecast for the coming week is thunderstorms every single day. This crap just does not happen here. I feel like someone is fucking with the weather.
Rain every day?.... that ain't good.

It was one hot sob here today, mamami.......:devil:

Hope the global cooling returns soon....!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Right. Ridiculous! But as Lannie said the other day, it is already too late to plant the squash. And this rain is keeping the pastures green.But the humidity is a killer.
It just gets depressing rather quickly with shitty weather day after day.....seems like it's one thing or another. Hot cold rain lightning wind fog...never a dull moment.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
With the exception of the thunderbumpers, this is starting to remind me of growing up in the Porkland, Orygun area... constant rain. And you are right, it is depressing. THAT makes me wonder how I survived all those years in Orygun...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With the exception of the thunderbumpers, this is starting to remind me of growing up in the Porkland, Orygun area... constant rain. And you are right, it is depressing. THAT makes me wonder how I survived all those years in Orygun...
Only so many things one can do when it's raining. I like the fact we don't get rain here, but the heat can become brutal in the afternoons. Need to begin scheduling all appointments so I'm done for the day before noon. I have that achieved for the week ahead, hope nobody wants something idiotic done late in the day, because I'll have to say sorry, my schedule is full in the afternoons

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll have to say sorry, my schedule is full in the afternoons
Wise idea. I remember one day in summer 1973 in Tucson, 114 °F, and I spent the whole day off at Jensen's Custom Ammunition (I was friends with one of their rifle sales guys) and they had just had their parking lot paved a few days before. When I finally came out of their air conditioned store, my truck was sunk up to the rims in asphalt.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There are air conditioned shooting ranges all over the Phoenix area now.....haven't been to one lately but there are quite a few. Gave me an idea, haven't been to one in ages....good place to shoot a bunch of .22 shells, their cheap.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's cheap too, like 10-15 bucks for an hour....prolly cost the owner that much to cool the joint.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Isn't it funny that all of us old pharts have a story to tell that resonates with someone else? And, regardless of the heat, I loved living there (at least back then). Today, however, I'd be much happier in Sedona or Flagstaff or Williams.... or Prescott.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Isn't it funny that all of us old pharts have a story to tell that resonates with someone else? And, regardless of the heat, I loved living there (at least back then). Today, however, I'd be much happier in Sedona or Flagstaff or Williams.... or Prescott.
Yeah, I would too, but I'd be starving to death.....guess we have to get it while the gettin is really good. The last couple years have been the best years i've ever had, could work seven days a week year round if I wanted to. But I like taking a day off every month to catch up on things.....:oops:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
good place to shoot a bunch of .22 shells, their cheap.
Well, only in comparison to the bigger caliber center fires. .22LR used to be about a penny each, and today they are a nickle. Of course, my .45-70s cartridges used to be 20 cents a shot and today are $2.50 each. Do you reload by any chance? I'm an RCBS junky.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, only in comparison to the bigger caliber center fires. .22LR used to be about a penny each, and today they are a nickle. Of course, my .45-70s cartridges used to be 20 cents a shot and today are $2.50 each. Do you reload by any chance? I'm an RCBS junky.
I don't reload, I bought thousands of shells years ago and only shot a few times at a range....in the winter I just go to the desert and have at it. But haven't done that lately.

What does it cost to reload .45 shells now?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What;s a "day off"? :) So, how do you schedule the workload so you can go spend a couple weeks with your Eli sweetie?
Damn, I was just there in February....if I go there I'll be doing more work than I care to. She's into the farming, me it's alright, but I really just like to eat the shit, not so much taking care of acres upon acres of fruit coffee and chocolate.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What does it cost to reload .45 shells now?
That depends on how much you pay for the bullets. Obviously jacketed hollow points are a lot more expensive than SWC lead, and if you cast your own lead bullets, it is dirt cheap. Powder is going up and up and I suspect some government influence in that. You can reuse your brass many many times so long as you don't max load it and split the necks and do tumble clean it before reloading. I probably pay about 30 cents per round to reload .45 Long Colts.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That depends on how much you pay for the bullets. Obviously jacketed hollow points are a lot more expensive than SWC lead, and if you cast your own lead bullets, it is dirt cheap. Powder is going up and up and I suspect some government influence in that. You can reuse your brass many many times so long as you don't max load it and split the necks and tumble clean it before reloading. I probably pay about 30 cents per round to reload .45 Long Colts.
That's not bad compared to store bought.....which is why I seldom shoot the .40 or .45....22 suites me just fine.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Back in the day I could drop a deer just as fast with a shot to the head as I could with a high powered rifle, they drop like rocks with the 22

VU Sponsors