Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If people can't have a gun until they're 21... can't drink until they're 21... can't own a car until they're 21 (more people are killed by cars than guns)... then they also should not be able to vote until they're 21 or go into the military. One of the first things the military did to me was put an M-16 in my hands (which has a full auto lever - an AR-15 does not) and tell me to kill that target - right out of high school! Luckily, I owned my first rifle when I was 12 years old (it was legal in Orygun in 1961) and was well versed in gun safety and hunting techniques.

EDIT: Just had a thought: How about you cannot own a smart phone or have a Facebook account until you're 21? Maybe some of these bozos might learn to think for themselves.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Once the dictionary went digital instead of print it was it's death as an authority.

History will be so much easier to change in the future.

And there's an error right there. "Its" when possessive does NOT have an apostrophe. It only gets an apostrophe when used as a contraction. I know, that one was hard for me too; I had to look it up so many times, it finally stuck. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I was in school (back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, obviously), one could not be a journalist without first being a writer, and everyone knew (back then anyway) that a writer MUST have an excellent grasp of grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence syntax... Today's snowflakes do not even know what syntax is ... uh, that's money you pay the government to commit a sin, right? I got super pissed the other day when I read an article that said Webster's latest edition of the dictionary included hundreds of new made-up words the millennials created, and once in the dictionary, are to be considered to be valid.

I'm in complete accord; the state of literacy in the US is purely pitiful. I can't believe the number of folks around here, born and raised in the US, who have, at best, a 5th grade grasp of English... yet they're adults, working at real jobs, making real money. There's just something wrong with that, and I blame that 'no child left behind' crap. When I was in school -- not ancient times, next year will be 40 yrs since I graduated -- if you didn't learn what you were supposed to in a given grade or class, you failed, and either did the same grade over the next year, or you did that class again in summer school. PERIOD, no exceptions. I had to do it myself for American History -- a required class, but sadly, taught by the biggest bitch in my high school, so I mostly just didn't go to that class. :D I preferred it in summer school anyway -- 3 wks as opposed to 3 long boring months. I don't need 3 months to learn ANYTHING that isn't math!

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And there's an error right there. "Its" when possessive does NOT have an apostrophe. It only gets an apostrophe when used as a contraction. I know, that one was hard for me too; I had to look it up so many times, it finally stuck. :D

Andria
It is difficult having to learn the grammatical modifications with each of my incarnations.
Grammar is not static.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It going okay (the job). I had to start my seedlings today. Just the tomato and green peppers. I have some wala wala onions up already.

Oh and a few chili peppers. I only need to plant 3 peppers. I have a ton in the freezer already.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Only thing happening around here is my husband going around setting all the clocks an hour ahead, because he's going to bed before 2am. I farking hate daylight savings time; now my dinner-time will be later and later till after the summer solstice -- really damn hard to think of making dinner when it looks like farking afternoon. :facepalm:

Andria

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmmmmmmmm... interesting that not one of these posts sent me an e-mail telling me there was any activity here.

I'm not gonna set my friggin' clocks until after I get up tomorrow, and then only with a great deal of anger. We are a farm. We do not live by a clock except when trying to see if there is anything worth watching on the boob tube. We live and work by the sun (standard time, NOT daylight saving time, which is NOT necessary any more, as if it ever really was) and I think the god damn government should quit trying to control our lives by controlling our clocks.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hmmmmmmmm... interesting that not one of these posts sent me an e-mail telling me there was any activity here.

I'm not gonna set my friggin' clocks until after I get up tomorrow, and then only with a great deal of anger. We are a farm. We do not live by a clock except when trying to see if there is anything worth watching on the boob tube. We live and work by the sun (standard time, NOT daylight saving time, which is NOT necessary any more, as if it ever really was) and I think the god damn government should quit trying to control our lives by controlling our clocks.

Well, when I finally spent some time thinking about it, years ago, I realized that it actually does make some sense, during the really hot months of summer -- which are nowhere near, currently, which is the part that pisses me right the fuck off. The whole scam is to fool our brains, just as it does mine, into eating dinner later than would otherwise seem "normal" -- which takes a lot of pressure off the power grid, country-wide, with the exception of Arizona which doesn't observe DST. The time of day which sees the most pressure on the power grid is 5-6pm, when people are getting home from work, and turning the thermostat to a lower setting to cool their residence, and then cook dinner, wash dishes, etc. There isn't much of anything that can be done about the time people arrive home and turn the AC lower, but by fooling our brains into thinking it's an hour earlier, our appetites for dinner are also fooled -- they're very much set by when it starts to get dark. So my dinner time will move from 7-7:30 to an hour later, and by the solstice, my family will be damn lucky to see dinner by 9pm. :facepalm:

Andria

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sorry, Andria, but I cannot agree with your sentiment. The government claims this gives us all an extra hour of daylight, but the places people work change their clocks and the places we shop change their clocks, so that peak power usage doesn't change other than it gets used up an hour earlier than in winter. Maybe... just maybe... because you have an extra hour of daylight after getting home from work, you will go outside and BBQ instead of turning on your range to cook dinner, but people like us, who have a 500-gallon propane tank and a gas range are not affecting the power grid in any way, and we don't even own a dishwasher (OK, Lannie after breakfast and me after dinner) :), or an air conditioner, so absolutely nothing changes here except for when the evening news comes on TV. We eat dinner on one side or the other of evening chores (depends on time of year, where the sun is, not the clock) because the cows , horses, chickens want their dinner depending on the position of the sun - they have no clocks.

And, by the way, only most of Arizona doesn't observe DST --- except for the entire Navajo and Hopi nations, which do observe it, and that is approximately 1/6th of the area of that state. And Florida says they are changing their entire year to DST (major stupid - why not leave the clocks on sun time all year?). Some portion of Indiana and a small portion of a couple other states have also decided to not observe DST. Maybe all this bullshit meant something during WWI and WWII eras, but it does not today, when restaurants and some shopping centers are open 24/7. If you look at the satellite pictures of this country at night, we use major power ALL NIGHT LONG all over the country. Street lights shine whenever it is dark without regard for the clocks. Changing the clocks makes no sense at all except as a psychological ploy to make you think you have an extra hour of daylight. You don't; you are just starting your day an hour earlier.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So, Jimi, now that it is after midnight (my time) and 1 AM your time, are we just gonna turn around and go to bed now?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmmm... now that I have implanted that thought in my own brain (going to bed), I think I will. After all, the fucking government wants my ass out of bed an hour earlier tomorrow. I'll probably have a stroke or heart attack or something due to the increased stress of daylight saving time... which has never saved a god damn thing!

Good night all you fine folks.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmmm... now that I have implanted that thought in my own brain (going to bed), I think I will. After all, the fucking government wants my ass out of bed an hour earlier tomorrow. I'll probably have a stroke or heart attack or something due to the increased stress of daylight saving time... which has never saved a god damn thing!

Good night all you fine folks.
Good night Rich see ya tomorrow my friend

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The time change kinda messed with me, last night. Recently I got some melatonin to see if it would help my chronic intractable insomnia, and IT REALLY DOES!!! Apparently I have something called "delayed sleep phase disorder" -- had it my whole life, funny how the medical profession just now decided it has a name instead of "can't sleep". But I took the melatonin Fri night at midnight, and got to bed at 3am, and went right to sleep, and didn't move an eyelid (except for REM sleep, had lots of that) till sometime after noon. So last night, I took it at 11:30... and it was still fucking 3am when I got to bed, thx to that damn time change. :gaah: I once again didn't wake till after noon, but the REM included a lot of semi-nightmares -- it rained all night, so naturally I dreamed of a flood. :facepalm:

I'll try 11:30 again tonight, see if I can get to bed at 2:30 or possibly even closer to 2.

Andria

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have problems with insomnia and the time change doesn't help. Lately, I have been zoning out early but I think its situational due to new job.
Speaking of jobs..I was forced to get a flu shot this late in the flu season. If not I couldn't work there. They didn't disclose this fact when I accepted the job. I hope to hell I don't have any crazy ass side effects. So far my teeth hurt and my left deltoid muscle feels like its been smacked by a baseball bat.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have problems with insomnia and the time change doesn't help. Lately, I have been zoning out early but I think its situational due to new job.
Speaking of jobs..I was forced to get a flu shot this late in the flu season. If not I couldn't work there. They didn't disclose this fact when I accepted the job. I hope to hell I don't have any crazy ass side effects. So far my teeth hurt and my left deltoid muscle feels like its been smacked by a baseball bat.
I am so very sorry to hear that Sandi, there ain't no way in hell they would EVER get me to get one. They can stick their poison.where the sun don't shine my friend

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Should have just told them you already had your flu shot this year. I seriously doubt they would have checked up on you.
Unfortunately, being a nurse I'm required to do so. I have to have documentation that it was done. My only recourse would have been quitting the job. I almost did. However, I need the funding and I'm tired of my past mistakes (working in the hood). I'm not happy about it at all. I did get it so I have to live with it.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening Old Pharts
card_front_large.png

VU Sponsors