Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How'd the journey go today?.....:oops:
Not as well as planned. You see, each time I go on one of these long day shopping trips, I get all worn out and build more and more resentment at having to do this each time. I thought maybe I could rejuvenate and shine a new light on it all by resurrecting the me of 15 years ago. So I rummaged through the closet and came up with a pair of cowboy boots I have not worn for ages. This should be OK... after all, I started wearing this type of boot when I was about 5 years old because, having been born with no arches, the doctor told my poverty-level mother that I needed $300 orthotic shoes (more than two month's wages for her back then)... or she could get me some cowboy boots with a high arch. So... for the most part, I wore cowboy boots for more than 50 years. Next, I dug out my black Stetson with diamondback headband.and dusted it off, then found a black leather jacket in the back of the closet and washed years of dust off that. OK, I am pretty much dressed like I was in the good old days (at least how it was 15 years ago), so I can go to town with a brand new attitude. Problem was, the boots hurt my aging toes and the heels rubbed me wrong as I walked on all those concrete floors. The jacket was too hot and so was the cowboy hat... sweat dripped down my forehead in spite of the fact that the high today was only 71 (and it was raining). All in all, I'd say I was in about 10 times the pain of a normal shopping day. When I got home, I asked Lannie to please not let me be so stupid again. I am sure there was a reason I moved to round-toed shoes and thinner jackets and.... well, about all I can finish with is "god damn, this fucking old body hurts."o_O

But the shopping is done for one more month. :)

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not as well as planned. You see, each time I go on one of these long day shopping trips, I get all worn out and build more and more resentment at having to do this each time. I thought maybe I could rejuvenate and shine a new light on it all by resurrecting the me of 15 years ago. So I rummaged through the closet and came up with a pair of cowboy boots I have not worn for ages. This should be OK... after all, I started wearing this type of boot when I was about 5 years old because, having been born with no arches, the doctor told my poverty-level mother that I needed $300 orthotic shoes (more than a month's wages for her back then)... or she could get me some cowboy boots with a high arch. So... for the most part, I wore cowboy boots for more than 50 years. Next, I dug out my black Stetson with diamondback headband.and dusted it off, then found a black leather jacket in the back of the closet and washed years of dust off that. OK, I am pretty much dressed like I was in the good old days (at least how it was 15 years ago), so I can go to town with a brand new attitude. Problem was, the boots hurt my aging toes and the heels rubbed me wrong as I walked on all those concrete floors. The jacket was too hot and so was the cowboy hat... sweat dripped down my forehead in spite of the fact that the high today was only 71 (and it was raining). All in all, I'd say I was in about 10 times the pain of a normal shopping day. When I got home, I asked Lannie to please not let me be so stupid again. I am sure there was a reason I moved to round-toed shoes and thinner jackets and.... well, about all I can finish with is "god damn, this fucking old body hurts."o_O

But the shopping is done for one more month. :)
lmao...sounds like a nightmare.....:teehee:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
..really unbelievable. Hope Lanny can get the damn garden planted in the next few weeks.
Not gonna happen. Lannie hasn't even started plants indoors as she normally does because of how cold the porch has been where she starts them. I think the garden will be very limited this year and even the maters will be from starts I get at the greenhouse in Rapid City.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not gonna happen. Lannie hasn't even started plants indoors as she normally does because of how cold the porch has been where she starts them. I think the garden will be very limited this year and even the maters will be from starts I get at the greenhouse in Rapid City.
And we thought this past season was fucked up, this one takes the cake

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The corrals are still very muddy and there is still a thin strip of snow in the dog yard (where that huge drift was), but everything else seems to be taking on a more solid/dry feeling.

There's still a BUNCH of snow down in the tree rows, I forgot to tell you. When I was down there the other day, there's still a really big drift between two rows, and it's probably waist-high on me. Anyway, it was. Rain probably knocked it down some, but there was that big one, and several other shorter drifts in there. Since we couldn't get anywhere near there until just recently, I wonder how big those drifts were to start out with? Yikes.

Damn, can't like that one....really unbelievable. Hope Lanny can get the damn garden planted in the next few weeks.

I really like to use my own saved heirloom seed in the garden, but some years I have to rely on the nursery stock, like Rich said. Usually it's just for a few things, not EVERY damn thing like this year. They actually are pretty good, and carry a lot of the varieties that I usually plant, so it's not as bad as it sounds. It'll just be an expense to buy the starts. That's why I like saving seed - it makes the garden free. :D And all that beautiful black compost/fertilizer is free, too. :D

I do have some bunching onions out there that have been there forever, and come up faithfully each spring, snow or sun (tough little buggers), and I keep saying I need to go out and dig them up and separate/refresh them, but things always get in the way and I still haven't. Maybe this year I'll do that, since I'm not fussing over seedlings in the house right now.

I think Crom has been mowing for a few weeks already, but even if mine gets the starter's gun right now, it'll be another couple weeks before first mowing.

Eh, no, the dog yard needs it now, or very soon. Must be all that fertilizer out there. ;) Because of the rain last night the grass was wet and I got the toes of my shoes wet this morning walking the dogs, so now I have raisin toes. UGH. The snow's all gone back there now, and the grass is shooting up explosively. It's taller than the weeds! :eek: I hadn't really noticed how long it was getting until this morning, when it was wet.

Lucy, I forgot to quote your post, but I'm happy that you're having a good time! I wish I could come and visit you, but I'd have to bring my cows, so I guess that won't work. Rich would never let me leave home without them. :p

And Choder, congrats on the wedding! :) (At least I hope that was you. I missed a couple days reading and had three pages to catch up on...)

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, I was going to add my two cents worth on the mod question, too, and forgot. I would have to say that my most dependable, and oldest, is my Target (Vaporesso). I love that mod. The display is a little dim now (it's getting old like me), but it's never failed in any way, and I love the way it fits my hand. My other mods are good, too (Evic mini, Kanger K-box, RX200, I-stick 60), but I do love my purple Target. :) I use it more than any of the others, and have used it nearly all day every day since I got it going on four years ago. Wow, it's been that long? Yeah, I guess it has. Anyway, even the paint is good on it, and the little faux-leather grippy part on the back of the grip is still good. Unless you look really, really close, you'd be hard pressed to tell it wasn't new. Good mod. I wish I'd gotten two or three of them.

I remember reading once somewhere that an "average" mod had about 4,000 good button-presses in it before the firing button would be likely to crap out. It was right when I started vaping, so it was over on ECF, no doubt, and I was so new I didn't know anything about anything yet. I would say I've pressed this Target fire button MILLIONS of times. Four thousand... ha. I'm sure I was reading "sage advice" from another newbie and just didn't know it, LOL!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Went and got more boards for the porch project this afternoon.
another box of 1000 collated full head galv ring shank nails too.
Only had a couple hundred or less left out of the first box.
Thank the gods for nail guns!
My right arm would be in a sling right now if I had hammer driven all those nails.

$27 for 1000 nails I think is cheaper than buying loose nails anyway or at least not much more expensive.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice scenic drive the wee hours of this morning....sun hitting the Saguaro's was beautiful, it was pretty decent too, upper 80's low 90's..something like that, didn't break a sweat, which is all that counts

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, well, if the Wx Guessers are right, I guess winter isn't done with us yet. A problem it presents is that some baby chicks were just born (and maybe a few more in the next day or two) and I really hope mama stays on top of them until it warms up again.
They can take some pretty cold weather. I remember working on that farm when I was a kid, hell it was -10F with chicks running around.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Was in the garden this morning before heading to work....must have been 20 quail chicks sleeping in the cool damp soil with a couple male and females. The damn things can't be 2-inches tall, but can fly when born....really incredible.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The first year the Bing Cherry tree had cherries, the deer ate the lower ones and the birds at the rest.
We have two cherry trees (some kind of sour pie cherries) and every single year, just as I walk by and decide they are now ready to pick and that I'll come out tomorrow for the harvest, that very next day the tree is bare, but the birds are stuffed. I think they have a better harvest calendar than I do.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Was in the garden this morning before heading to work....must have been 20 quail chicks sleeping in the cool damp soil with a couple male and females. The damn things can't be 2-inches tall, but can fly when born....really incredible.
I hurt my back the other day but my Wifey put in some of our sweet onions today 450 of them, still have 300 to go

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We have two cherry trees (some kind of sour pie cherries) and every single year, just as I walk by and decide they are now ready to pick and that I'll come out tomorrow for the harvest, that very next day the tree is bare, but the birds are stuffed. I think they have a better harvest calendar than I do.
Yup, that's exactly what happened here :xD: damn birds. Have a whole row of Chokecherries and the birds get to them too. Maybe, we need to sneak out in the middle of the night and pick them...yeah, that's not gonna happen :rolleyes:

VU Sponsors