Old Pharts Club

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My first car was a 1956 chevy 2 dr. With a 3 on the tree and a 261 6 cyl

I resurrected it from a weed lot.
Plywood covering holes in floor and headlights held in with perforated strap.
And someone had painted it with chalking paint. Was green but it would rub off on ya :)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been able to plant anything, Jimi....or start some plants indoors?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My first car was a 1956 chevy 2 dr. With a 3 on the teree and a 261 6 cyl

A resurrected it from a weed lot.
Yup, back in the day we did whatever it took to make due. It usually worked just fine too.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember a neighbor had an old dodge when i was a kid that had the starter on the floor. Hmmm.... lets see... lets put an electrical part on the floor so in the winter you can track snow ice and salt in on it, bright idea there:giggle:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My first car was a 1956 chevy 2 dr. With a 3 on the tree and a 261 6 cyl

I resurrected it from a weed lot.
And someone had painted it with chalking paint. Was green but it would rub off on ya :)
sounds like a real winner, but those old 6's were a durable old motor

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember a neighbor had an old dodge when i was a kid that had the starter on the floor. Hmmm.... lets see... lets put an electrical part on the floor so in the winter you can track snow ice and salt in on it, bright idea there:giggle:
Always had a LONG screwdriver to jump the solenoids....:)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i had an old 1952 triumph sedan the starter burnt out so I had to crank start it (it had that as an option)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
it's been slow to come but finally getting here, you probably have half your garden in,or more, by now.
Actually I don't have anything planted. I'm going with 5-gallon pails for the matters....then I can move um in-out of the sun part of the day so they don't explode on me like last years crop. Got the idea from Rich.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually I don't have anything planted. I'm going with 5-gallon pails for the matters....then I can move um in-out of the sun part of the day so they don't explode on me like last years crop. Got the idea from Rich.
That's a good idea but you might want to somewhat insulate them some way, feel that plastic on a hot summer day

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
looked good, be worth a pretty penny today
One of my cars back then was a 1949 Ford sedan, stock (everything else I ever had got modified in one way or another) and in real good shape. When I joined the Air Farce, I sold it to a guy who was gonna drive it in a destruction derby. I got $40 for it and thought I made out fine. Twenty years later, I saw one parked by a gas station and it looked identical to mine. I stopped to check it out because there was a FOR SALE sign in the window. They were asking $10,000. I now wish I had all my old cars back again. I could get rich...

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
without a war
Did ya notice that both Korea and Vietnam were called "police actions," but more of us died than during the "World Wars"? And if they weren't wars, how come we still had a draft so we could all get an M16 and go police someone else's country, neither of which posed any threat to the USA?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did ya notice that both Korea and Vietnam were called "police actions," but more of us died than during the "World Wars"? And if they weren't wars, how come we still had a draft so we could all get an M16 and go police someone else's country, neither of which posed any threat to the USA?
Indeed, Rich....as usual, sticking the nose in places it doesn't belong. But nothing new there as we both know all too well.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was rather lucky in the draft regard, I just turned 18 when the draft ended.

Thank goodness I didn't join like many of my DEAD friends did.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got a draft notice right after high school graduation, so I dutifully reported to the Army enlistment station and had my physical. They found some things wrong with my body and decided they didn't want me. However, my girlfriend's father (my church pastor) was working hard on me, trying to get me to join the Navy. They didn't want me either. I walked across the hall to the Air Force and told him what was wrong (according to the draft physical) and he said, "No problem. We'll assign you to a casual corp, operate on ya, then put you in Basic." I took their entrance tests and aced them. He said, "You can be anything you want. What do ya wanna be?" I stupidly said, "Make me a General" (yes, thinking I was being funny), so he assigned me to a general category (as opposed to electronics, mechanics, or administration). During basic, we got to choose what we would train for after basic within our "chosen" category. Let's see, I can be a cook, or air police, or a weatherman, or... Duh. That choice was easy. They sent my ass to Rantoul, Illinois (Chanute School of Applied Aerospace Science) to become a weather observer. As luck would have it, the class in front of us all went to Vietnam, as did the class behind us. Our class all went to Europe. I had always been told you never get you first choice of bases, so I selected England when I wanted to go to Germany. Dumb shit! I was the class honor graduate, so I did get my first choice, and spent the next 3 1/2 years running around England (with a brief foray to Italy to play in the mud at Xmas). Then back to Chanute for forecaster school, then off to Tucson...
Rich, I'm sure you have friends who didn't make it back either, really sad.
About half the guys in my graduating class (1967) got drafted, over half of those went to 'Nam, and just about half of those did not return under their own power. I guess I was the lucky one.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I didn't realize it was that long ago you were in Tucson, guess I haven't been paying enough attention.

At least you were able to learn about weather forecasting from some of the best sources available at the time, and still probably today.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hola back atcha, Dale. ;)

I was going to give you a tip on the container planting. We have our tomatoes all lined up in their pots on the east side of a large lilac hedge (Rich had already mentioned that), so they only get morning sun, and in the afternoon, when it's blisteringly hot, they're shaded. I always try to water them thoroughly in the late afternoon/evening, so the roots and leaves have all the cool(er) night to absorb the moisture without being dried out by the sun and heat. I have never had a problem with the roots being burned by the hot plastic. Now, granted, our tubs are bigger in diameter than a 5-gallon bucket, but they're black plastic, and that REALLY gets hot, but as long as they're deeply watered on a regular basis (I do it every day when it's in the 90s or above), they do just fine. If you think your buckets and soil are getting too hot, though, you could lay a tarp or a blanket or something around the grouping of pots, just to shade the buckets, or most of them. Even a sheet or two of that lattice stuff for patios would probably work to give partial shade, if you could prop it up somehow on the sunward side of the pots. There's also "shade cloth" you could hang up strategically as well. We've never used that because the lilacs work pretty well for shade, but it's an option.

I don't know your exact conditions and space available, but just use your imagination. I'm sure you can come up with a good solution. :D

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WW2 was our last official declared war.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was rather lucky in the draft regard, I just turned 18 when the draft ended.

Thank goodness I didn't join like many of my DEAD friends did.
I got a nice high lottery number.
Lucky me, the military would have killed me with my severe social anxiety disorder.
a poor working class family who could not afford a deferment.
Marketing for an all volunteer military. For close to 200 years they were soldiers, sailors, etc. Now they are warriors.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hola back atcha, Dale. ;)

I was going to give you a tip on the container planting. We have our tomatoes all lined up in their pots on the east side of a large lilac hedge (Rich had already mentioned that), so they only get morning sun, and in the afternoon, when it's blisteringly hot, they're shaded. I always try to water them thoroughly in the late afternoon/evening, so the roots and leaves have all the cool(er) night to absorb the moisture without being dried out by the sun and heat. I have never had a problem with the roots being burned by the hot plastic. Now, granted, our tubs are bigger in diameter than a 5-gallon bucket, but they're black plastic, and that REALLY gets hot, but as long as they're deeply watered on a regular basis (I do it every day when it's in the 90s or above), they do just fine. If you think your buckets and soil are getting too hot, though, you could lay a tarp or a blanket or something around the grouping of pots, just to shade the buckets, or most of them. Even a sheet or two of that lattice stuff for patios would probably work to give partial shade, if you could prop it up somehow on the sunward side of the pots. There's also "shade cloth" you could hang up strategically as well. We've never used that because the lilacs work pretty well for shade, but it's an option.

I don't know your exact conditions and space available, but just use your imagination. I'm sure you can come up with a good solution. :D
Thanks for the advice Lannie...I'll get them planted this weekend I hope.....:)

Placing them in the sun for the first half of the day is a great idea, it's the afternoon sun which is the killer.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How was the trip to the big city, Rich?....SSDD?
Actually, longer, harder, more painful than average and dipstick here forgot to take along his pain pills, so....
OUCH!
I hope it's beginning to warm
Our thermometer said it got up to 55 here and the one in my truck said it was 59 in Rapid City. I also noted that most everywhere except right here, nearly all their snow is gone. As I was going between Belle Fourche and Spearfish, I looked up at the ski slopes in the Black Hills (just south of Spearfish) and I swear they have less snow than what is still in my back yard.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As I was going between Belle Fourche and Spearfish, I looked up at the ski slopes in the Black Hills (just south of Spearfish) and I swear they have less snow than what is still in my back yard.
Nothing new there, just your luck.......:cuss2::gaah:

VU Sponsors