Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I would rather have snow than cold weather
Used to be a lot of people (when I was younger) that said things like, "It can't snow below 20 degrees." Sorry, but that's bullshit. Here, it has snowed on us at -20 (yes, a blizzard), so having snow versus cold doesn't hold up as a good measure in reality. But.... (look out, it's a big BUT).... wind is the key factor here. And I don't mean just wind chill factor. For example, it is 25 degrees with a 10 mph wind (as it was today), which makes a wind chill factor of 15 degrees. BUT, if it was 15 degrees and dead calm, I guaran-god-damn-tee that you will not feel as cold.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Used to be a lot of people (when I was younger) that said things like, "It can't snow below 20 degrees." Sorry, but that's bullshit. Here, it has snowed on us at -20 (yes, a blizzard), so having snow versus cold doesn't hold up as a good measure in reality. But.... (look out, it's a big BUT).... wind is the key factor here. And I don't mean just wind chill factor. For example, it is 25 degrees with a 10 mph wind (as it was today), which makes a wind chill factor of 15 degrees. BUT, if it was 15 degrees and dead calm, I guaran-god-damn-tee that you will not feel as cold.
I was ice fishing just across the canadian border in the mid 70's, it was about -30F during a blizzard which they had to use V-Plows to get us the fuck out of there. What a nightmare that was....needless to say, I won't be doing any ice fishing in Canada anytime soon.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But.... (look out, it's a big BUT)....

Hey, I resemble that remark! :eek:

I go by the old pagan farmers' seasons, not calendar seasons. June 21st is called "midsummer" because it's the middle of summer, not the first day of it. And there's summer and winter, just those two seasons. Some years we have a nice Indian Summer for a few weeks, but not every year. So once in a while we have "fall." ;) But that's here. Lots of places have four distinct seasons, but not here. :rolleyes: It's why I can't grow peas. We have no "spring" to grow them in. Once the snow melts enough to plant seeds, it gets way too hot for the little pea plants and they don't have a chance to flower and set fruit. I grew one tub of snow peas this year as an experiment, and THEY seemed to do OK, so I might do a bigger crop next year. They were just as sweet as the green peas, and those young, fat pods were so juicy and crunchy! YUM! Alas, I lost them in the weeds before I could pick very many of them, but I'll try harder next time. :D

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
June 21st is called "midsummer" because it's the middle of summer, not the first day of it.
I suppose someone has to stick up for astronomical solar cycles and heat lag, so it might as well be me (you know, that encyclopedic butthead). :rolleyes: Anyway, 12 noon is also called "mid-day" because (according to our definitions of clock time), it is the actual middle of the day, when the sun is highest in the sky. But when is the highest temperature of the day recorded? Barring approaching frontal systems, it would be about 3 PM. Even though noon is the highest point of the sun, it takes that additional three hours for the ambient heat to build up before the afternoon/evening cooling cycle starts (if you live near the base of mountains or a large lake, you also contend with a diurnal wind shift to alter your temperature, but that's a whole different discussion). Likewise with our supposed "seasons," June 21 is mid-summer because, in pagan terms, it represents the middle of the growing season for most plants, but the planetary heating cycle follows that date for nearly three months (the end of July and most all of August being hottest). So that pagan assertion that June 21 is mid-summer versus the calendar assertion that it is the start of summer; one is based on growing plants and the other is based on the heat cycle. Which you choose would appear to be based on which is most important in your life... growing the best crop or cursing at your thermometer. :)

Then, come the Autumnal Equinox, the cooling cycle begins. These dates, by the way, are set by our relative position in our orbit around the sun. Northern Winter/Southern Summer, is when Earth is closest to the sun, but it is also when the northern hemisphere is tilted farthest away from the sun (23.5 degrees) and the southern hemisphere is tilted toward the sun. This is why summers in the southern hemisphere are typically hotter than summers in the northern hemisphere. Northern summer is when Earth is farthest from the sun, but tilted toward it. The two equinoxes (Spring and Autumn) are merely the halfway points between the two extremes of summer and winter and mean, in actuality, absolutely nothing except that we are halfway between the hot-to-cold or cold-to-hot cycles. As Lannie pointed out, some places (like here) have a really short transition time from cold to hot and hot to cold and, therefore, appear to have no Spring or Autumn (Fall). Here, we just kind of jump from boiling to "damn, all the leaves turned red and fell off" then next week it is snowing. Back in Orygun, particularly in Soggy Valley (northern Willamette Valley to purists), the two transition "seasons" were real and not just a flash in the pan. Spring saw months of things turning green and growing, flowers blooming, birds chirping and mating and Autumn was months of leaves turning from green to gold, to orange, to red, before gradually drifting away instead of here --- being blown into the next county by blizzard winds.

Now, was that fun? Or just one more post of Rich's academic bullshit? :D

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I suppose someone has to stick up for astronomical solar cycles and heat lag, so it might as well be me (you know, that encyclopedic butthead). :rolleyes: Anyway, 12 noon is also called "mid-day" because (according to our definitions of clock time), it is the actual middle of the day, when the sun is highest in the sky. But when is the highest temperature of the day recorded? Barring approaching frontal systems, it would be about 3 PM. Even though noon is the highest point of the sun, it takes that additional three hours for the ambient heat to build up before the afternoon/evening cooling cycle starts (if you live near the base of mountains or a large lake, you also contend with a diurnal wind shift to alter your temperature, but that's a whole different discussion). Likewise with our supposed "seasons," June 21 is mid-summer because, in pagan terms, it represents the middle of the growing season for most plants, but the planetary heating cycle follows that date for nearly three months (the end of July and most all of August being hottest). So that pagan assertion that June 21 is mid-summer versus the calendar assertion that it is the start of summer; one is based on growing plants and the other is based on the heat cycle. Which you choose would appear to be based on which is most important in your life... growing the best crop or cursing at your thermometer. :)

Then, come the Autumnal Equinox, the cooling cycle begins. These dates, by the way, are set by our relative position in our orbit around the sun. Northern Winter/Southern Summer, is when Earth is closest to the sun, but it is also when the northern hemisphere is tilted farthest away from the sun (23.5 degrees) and the southern hemisphere is tilted toward the sun. This is why summers in the southern hemisphere are typically hotter than summers in the northern hemisphere. Northern summer is when Earth is farthest from the sun, but tilted toward it. The two equinoxes (Spring and Autumn) are merely the halfway points between the two extremes of summer and winter and mean, in actuality, absolutely nothing except that we are halfway between the hot-to-cold or cold-to-hot cycles. As Lannie pointed out, some places (like here) have a really short transition time from cold to hot and hot to cold and, therefore, appear to have no Spring or Autumn (Fall). Here, we just kind of jump from boiling to "damn, all the leaves turned red and fell off" then next week it is snowing. Back in Orygun, particularly in Soggy Valley (northern Willamette Valley to purists), the two transition "seasons" were real and not just a flash in the pan. Spring saw months of things turning green and growing, flowers blooming, birds chirping and mating and Autumn was months of leaves turning from green to gold, to orange, to red, before gradually drifting away instead of here --- being blown into the next county by blizzard winds.

Now, was that fun? Or just one more post of Rich's academic bullshit? :D
I seem to enjoy the latitude of 23.5 degrees.....YEAR ROUND.....:D

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cooled off drastically last night, think it was in the low 50's this morning....it's about 68-70 now.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Get anything accomplished today, Rich?

I understand we took you from your usual routine, by posting during working hrs......:teehee:

Hope that didn't put a damper on anything....:vino:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Get anything accomplished today, Rich?
I understand we took you from your usual routine, by posting during working hrs......:teehee:
Hope that didn't put a damper on anything....:vino:
SSDD, as usual. I was just taking a break and cruised through here this morning and decided to stay for a couple minutes. No biggie.

Dug through my closet and found my blanket pants, but they have a lot of holes in them, so they are not as warm as they should be. Guess I better put them on my list for next shopping day.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SSDD, as usual. I was just taking a break and cruised through here this morning and decided to stay for a couple minutes. No biggie.

Dug through my closet and found my blanket pants, but they have a lot of holes in them, so they are not as warm as they should be. Guess I better put them on my list for next shopping day.
Blanket pants?......like a Kilt?.....:oops:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Blanket pants?......like a Kilt?.....:oops:
Imagine a pair of blue jeans (or, more likely, carpenter pants) that have a fleece lining inside. It's kinda like being wrapped in a blanket, then putting your jeans on over it, so everyone around here just calls them "blanket pants." The alternative to that would be Long Johns under your jeans, but the long johns are not nearly as warm.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Imagine a pair of blue jeans (or, more likely, carpenter pants) that have a fleece lining inside. It's kinda like being wrapped in a blanket, then putting your jeans on over it, so everyone around here just calls them "blanket pants." The alternative to that would be Long Johns under your jeans, but the long johns are not nearly as warm.
Oh yes, I've seen them in the past....in Canada if I'm not mistaken

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can understand that....especially with the blizzard (type) wind you seem to always experience
The first winter here, I wore my leftover bib ski pants, but you pretty much have to take those off every time you come in the house (way too hot) and the blanket pants are much more comfortable.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, bib ski pants wouldn't work well doing odds and ends in the house, or doing nothing actually. Prolly not to comfortable sitting in, or working in. Think the only place I sat with bibs on was in the lodge Gin-Mill.....:devil:

VU Sponsors