Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Damn, just looked at the forecast in Canada....75 feels like 86, WTF....:(
Sounds like winter to you, huh? Remember I said yesterday that our forecast for the next 8 days was "no rain"? Well, now the next five days have afternoon thunderstorms. In one day they can make that big of a change?

Today, however, it was dry, and I managed to mow the horse corral (and pick up a lot of fence wire horses got tangled in), mow the cow corral, mow west of the barns, mow the cow pen, mow the garden, and mow the north yard. Somewhere in all that, however, I must have hit something pretty hard because one side of the deck is mowing an inch lower than the other side. Guess I'll have to make some adjustments in the morning before I tackle the dog yard and orchard.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just went out to round up the house cats. Stars overhead, but there is a hellacious thunderstorm (lots of big lightning) about 10-15 miles SE of here. I hope it does not drift over us because it would be nice if it stayed dry for tomorrow's workload.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just went out to round up the house cats. Stars overhead, but there is a hellacious thunderstorm (lots of big lightning) about 10-15 miles SE of here. I hope it does not drift over us because it would be nice if it stayed dry for tomorrow's workload.
lmao....you can't win.....:teehee:

Is this "typical summer" weather?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
lmao....you can't win.....:teehee:
Is this "typical summer" weather?
I can only make this statement based on 14 years of observations (the duration we have lived here) because there are no stats for Maurine, SD. The answer is, in my humble opinion, a definite "no." We have had more rain and cooler weather this year than any I have seen. Maybe the neighbors who have lived here 30, 40, 70 years might be able to say otherwise, but since we have been here, this is weirder than purple shit. "Normally," we get one or two rain day(s) per week (as an average), usually in the form of thunderstorms just passing through on their way to create havoc farther east. We typically do not get heavy downpours, but a shower that lasts 15-30 minutes and goes away. This year, we have had not just thunderstorms, but stratus and nimbostratus (the stuff that rains steady all day or for several days). Last year, by this time, the pastures were already turning yellow and by the end of this month, I'd be begging a couple big round bales of hay from one of my neighbors because our purchased hay supply doesn't get delivered until October. Right now, the grass is very green and at least a foot deep (the horses and cows cannot eat it fast enough and they are all getting fat - well, except Big Wind, our 27 years old AQHA quarter horse (read that as "pasture bum") who is skinny with age.

Oh, and G'nite Dale.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It has been hot here in the tundra of WI. I have so many car problems that popped up this past week. Transmission solenoids/OD replaced (probably will need to get a rebuilt soon). I'm hoping I can build up some funding since I can't afford a new car right now. My front brakes and struts/shocks/cv shaft all shot. I had the brakes done yesterday. Going back to get the rest repaired tomorrow. I still will need a new muffler system put in but I think I can get a few more months out of current. It just passed emission testing this morning.

On a plus side-I finally got the PRN job I have wanted for two years. Basically, I'm on call and pick up hours when needed. If I get burned out-no worries just don't sign up to work or decline as long as I meet minimum requirements. The rest of the year I'll probably pick up many hours

Hope all you old pharts have a great 4th! @Jimi hope you are feeling better!
I'm trying to get online here but been busy. I still have 6 boxwood roots to dig up. :)

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember those PITA boxwood trees from when I was in Wisconsin. I was born and raised there.
A little brush killer does wonders. I just about got the sassafras here taken care of. This should be the last year I have to spray what pops up from the runner roots.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening pholks....hope everyone had a great day....was hotter than the hubs of hell here.....:cry:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can only make this statement based on 14 years of observations (the duration we have lived here) because there are no stats for Maurine, SD. The answer is, in my humble opinion, a definite "no." We have had more rain and cooler weather this year than any I have seen. Maybe the neighbors who have lived here 30, 40, 70 years might be able to say otherwise, but since we have been here, this is weirder than purple shit. "Normally," we get one or two rain day(s) per week (as an average), usually in the form of thunderstorms just passing through on their way to create havoc farther east. We typically do not get heavy downpours, but a shower that lasts 15-30 minutes and goes away. This year, we have had not just thunderstorms, but stratus and nimbostratus (the stuff that rains steady all day or for several days). Last year, by this time, the pastures were already turning yellow and by the end of this month, I'd be begging a couple big round bales of hay from one of my neighbors because our purchased hay supply doesn't get delivered until October. Right now, the grass is very green and at least a foot deep (the horses and cows cannot eat it fast enough and they are all getting fat - well, except Big Wind, our 27 years old AQHA quarter horse (read that as "pasture bum") who is skinny with age.

Oh, and G'nite Dale.
Don't doubt that a bit....which i why I asked....sure seems like VERY strange weather to me.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening pholks....hope everyone had a great day....was hotter than the hubs of hell here.....:cry:
We got to 102 with enough humidity to make a man run back to the AC after 10 minutes of being outside.
It was so bad this morning, that after I loaded the minivan with trash to take to the town's roll off dumpsters, I needed a shower. I waited til after I unloaded the trash. No way was I going shopping covered in sweat, ash, and dirt.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't doubt that a bit....which i why I asked....sure seems like VERY strange weather to me.
Mostly cloudy here all day, temp in mid-70s. Started the day by cleaning the mower deck and removing the left blade (yes, it was bent, but by what I have no idea). My biggest ball-peen hammer could do nothing about straightening that steel, so I grabbed the next biggest hammer on the wall, a small sledge, put the blade in the big vise and wanged the hell out of it. It is not perfectly straight, but far better than it was, so I re-installed it and mowed the dog yard. At least it is not making a cut 1" deeper than the other side like it was doing yesterday (maybe only 1/8", which makes me feel good to be able to eyeball it that closely). I'll order some new blades for the next time I run over whatever it was I hit yesterday.

Obviously, it was dry all day, so I was wondering if the forecast went back to the previous version, but there's a whopper of a super cell out there right now lighting up the night sky with an awesome show. So far it has slipped by us to the north and I'm hoping we stay dry one more night (though somehow I doubt it) because I have a shitload of stuff to mow tomorrow. I know it is a holiday, but here on the farm, we do not observe holidays. Every day is a work day.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mostly cloudy here all day, temp in mid-70s. Started the day by cleaning the mower deck and removing the left blade (yes, it was bent, but by what I have no idea). My biggest ball-peen hammer could do nothing about straightening that steel, so I grabbed the next biggest hammer on the wall, a small sledge, put the blade in the big vise and wanged the hell out of it. It is not perfectly straight, but far better than it was, so I re-installed it and mowed the dog yard. At least it is not making a cut 1" deeper than the other side like it was doing yesterday (maybe only 1/8", which makes me feel good to be able to eyeball it that closely). I'll order some new blades for the next time I run over whatever it was I hit yesterday.

Obviously, it was dry all day, so I was wondering if the forecast went back to the previous version, but there's a whopper of a super cell out there right now lighting up the night sky with an awesome show. So far it has slipped by us to the north and I'm hoping we stay dry one more night (though somehow I doubt it) because I have a shitload of stuff to mow tomorrow. I know it is a holiday, but here on the farm, we do not observe holidays. Every day is a work day.
You prolly hit one of those hailstones the size of a small block chevy......:teehee:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We got to 102 with enough humidity to make a man run back to the AC after 10 minutes of being outside.
It was so bad this morning, that after I loaded the minivan with trash to take to the town's roll off dumpsters, I needed a shower. I waited til after I unloaded the trash. No way was I going shopping covered in sweat, ash, and dirt.
Bet is was nasty after that rain.....that is just brutal humidity....!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You prolly hit one of those hailstones the size of a small block chevy......:teehee:
Funny thing... some dumb ass solicitor called the day after that supposed 4" hail stone BS and wanted to come inspect our roofs. Lannie told them we already had it done. There was no way they would have believed the storm stomped everyone west and east of us but skipped over our property. Sigh...
Anyway, because I was mowing all the damn Mallow in the horse corral (so thick you couldn't see what was under it), chances are (this is a guess) I hit one of those 4-6" tree stumps of dead things that I cut down a few years ago and never got around to digging out the stumps.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny thing... some dumb ass solicitor called the day after that supposed 4" hail stone BS and wanted to come inspect our roofs. Lannie told them we already had it done. There was no way they would have believed the storm stomped everyone west and east of us but skipped over our property. Sigh...
Anyway, because I was mowing all the damn Mallow in the horse corral (so thick you couldn't see what was under it), chances are (this is a guess) I hit one of those 4-6" tree stumps of dead things that I cut down a few years ago and never got around to digging out the stumps.
hahahaha.....yup....prolly, Rich......:giggle:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Considering the size of your spread, I'm surprised you don't have an old Ford tractor and a gang mower to hook to the PTO.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Considering the size of your spread, I'm surprised you don't have an old Ford tractor and a gang mower to hook to the PTO.
I wish I had that setup, but we are a "hobby farm" (official tax status, under 40 acres, no profits in zero return on investments) so big equipment is minimal. Even the Bobcat is 1984 and I only have that because I need 4WD skid steer for winter snow use (no PTO). This summer, because of the crazy way the grass is growing, I wish I had something that could mow the pastures at 10" above ground (my riding mowers are max 4") to cut off the seed heads and leave the grass for the critters to eat.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wish I had that setup, but we are a "hobby farm" (official tax status, under 40 acres, no profits in zero return on investments) so big equipment is minimal. Even the Bobcat is 1984 and I only have that because I need 4WD skid steer for winter snow use (no PTO). This summer, because of the crazy way the grass is growing, I wish I had something that could mow the pastures at 10" above ground (my riding mowers are max 4") to cut off the seed heads and leave the grass for the critters to eat.
I helped out on a hobby farm with only 10 acres. The guy repaired old tractors, and had an on Ford tractor built back around 1960 or so. He used it mostly to plow his garden. After retiring from the police force, he could never just sit still, no matter how bad his diabetes got.
I helped out with that garden, and the chickens.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This mower prolly cuts a bit lower than the other one did set it up one notch.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Moved a couple more loads of fire debris. Hot as heck out there. 2 loads of laundry and did the dishes.
Used my new lectric Chain saw to cut some of the larger charred timbers down to managable size. Worked great, better than the HF one that got burned up. This one is a Remington.
Ordered a cement mixer.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This mower prolly cuts a bit lower than the other one did set it up one notch.
The new CubCadet's max setting is 4". The TroyBilt (which I hope I get back later this week or early next week) goes up to 5", but the grass seed heads are at 10-15" at the moment and I'd like to cut the pastures as high as possible while still knocking off the seeds. Neither riding mower is acceptable for doing that.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Moved a couple more loads of fire debris. Hot as heck out there. 2 loads of laundry and did the dishes.
Used my new lectric Chain saw to cut some of the larger charred timbers down to managable size. Worked great, better than the HF one that got burned up. This one is a Remington.
Ordered a cement mixer.
Should have your new shed up before the snow flies again.....:)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The new CubCadet's max setting is 4". The TroyBilt (which I hope I get back later this week or early next week) goes up to 5", but the grass seed heads are at 10-15" at the moment and I'd like to cut the pastures as high as possible while still knocking off the seeds. Neither riding mower is acceptable for doing that.
I was just thinking of hitting stumps and such that the other one was just missing.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was just thinking of hitting stumps and such that the other one was just missing.
Oh yeah... both the TroyBilt and the Craftsman were set at max (5") the last time they were used in the corral. I think (guess) the CubCadet was set at 3" yesterday.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, now there is lightning in all directions and raining like hell. Guess I should crawl in the sack now.
Yak at youse guyz tomorrow.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Evening, Rich....how was your Holiday......:giggle:....:devil:
Well, the weather guessers decided to cancel the next five days of thunderstorms and inserted sunshine instead, with about 100 degrees by Saturday. The clouds did burn off this morning, got clear skies and a breeze that dried things out a bit after last nights really big thunderstorms, so I mowed and I mowed and I mowed.... Picked up a baby Starling in the orchard that wouldn't get out of the way of the mower -- just sat there and peeped at me -- and placed it under a Caragana. I hope mommy finds it there, but at least I didn't run over that baby.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I went out to the garden this morning, what's left of it anyway....TINY lil baby rabbit sitting there just staring at me, momma was nowhere to be seen. I grabbed the water hose and drug it to the grapefruit and orange trees to deep water them before I leave. Went back to the garden about an hour later, momma rabbit was there with the lil one, finishing off my cabbage trees. After the quail started on the cabbage, they grew upward instead of outward, but the wildlife still like the cabbage no matter how it looks.....:D

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
TINY lil baby rabbit sitting there just staring at me,
Nice to know you didn't just shoot it. While I really don't want my garden eaten by the wild critters, I leave their "management" to the other critters (cats) because I just don;t have the heart to waste 'em myself anymore.
100 degrees at the homestead doesn't sound inviting.
In years gone by, it has been well over that and I was still outside working in that heat. On days like that, it is usually even hotter inside the house (no A/C).

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice to know you didn't just shoot it. While I really don't want my garden eaten by the wild critters, I leave their "management" to the other critters (cats) because I just don;t have the heart to waste 'em myself anymore.

In years gone by, it has been well over that and I was still outside working in that heat. On days like that, it is usually even hotter inside the house (no A/C).
Same here, Rich....used to be an avid hunter, although...last 15-20 yrs I couldn't kill any wildlife unless it was destroying my home, not much of a chance that happening in the desert tho. I like watching critters, not harming them.

Every once in awhile I'll see a bobcat walking across the top of my fence in the backyard....and the Javelina stop by often to get food scraps I toss over the fence for um.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I haven't bought a hunting license since we've been here. Back in Orygun, I was out stomping through the woods and the desert several times a year, and we went absolutely bonkers when we saw antelope. Here, there are whole herds of them standing near my fences and the only thing I point at them is a camera. Deer too. About the only things I will still shoot are skunks and foxes because THEY want to eat my critters, but they have to be ON my property - I won't go elsewhere looking for them. Jasper has managed to convince the coyotes that they don't want to come here any more, so I don't even worry about them now. Twenty years ago, I probably would have mowed over that baby Starling because that is one bird I didn't want on my property, but today, it is just one more of Mother Nature's wondrous little creatures.

VU Sponsors