Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can't wait till the butterbeer concentrates arrive......BCF has FAST delivery.....:confetti:....:vapemail:
Prolly Tuesday.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So BCF has a pre-made concentrate for butterbeer... not just butterscotch or one of the other ingredients?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I ordered all the concentrates Lannie posted....:vapemail:
Oh, I thought maybe you found one that was a premix.
How's it hanging, Rich.....:giggle:
SSDD. :blah: More damn thunderstorms and rain showers on and off all day long. I really need some sunshine so I can spend the day weeding the garden. It is so wet here right now that the lawns are growing big white mushrooms.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So, any hot tips on how to clean a very filthy (ten-year old tobacco residue, pet hair, etc) from a computer fan?

I hijacked one to make a small exhaust fan for my second prototype composter - the fan is horrible, but runs like a champ, lol

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Have you tried one of those little white spongy thingies (what are those damn things called?). Anyway, they seem to work well at taking the old tobaccy stains off the walls.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, any hot tips on how to clean a very filthy (ten-year old tobacco residue, pet hair, etc) from a computer fan?

I hijacked one to make a small exhaust fan for my second prototype composter - the fan is horrible, but runs like a champ, lol
I'd use clorox spray, it cuts nicotine.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had to run upstairs (OK, stagger o_O) to see what is on the label. Great Value ERASE it (Wally World spells cheaper than Mr. Clean). They work.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

BTY, if its going in the shitter, who cares what it looks like.....:teehee:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, I thought maybe you found one that was a premix.

SSDD. :blah: More damn thunderstorms and rain showers on and off all day long. I really need some sunshine so I can spend the day weeding the garden. It is so wet here right now that the lawns are growing big white mushrooms.
We had a thunderstorm last night. Lost internet and TV. But, the rain barrels got refilled. Does happy dance. We got enough to water the garden and Cypress trees for a month.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fans run better and last longer when you keep the blades clean. Unclean means unbalanced, which will cause wobble, potential hum, and might wear out the bearings sooner than normal. And the added weight causes them to run a tad bit slower, which moves less air.
Computer fans usually run about $5, probably cheaper on Amazon. Since I used to build computers, I still have one or two around here somewhere.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fans run better and last longer when you keep the blades clean. Unclean means unbalanced, which will cause wobble, potential hum, and might wear out the bearings sooner than normal. And the added weight causes them to run a tad bit slower, which moves less air.
If it going to Hawaii, it'll have enough cockroach shit on it in a week...not to matter.....:oops:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never said such a thing - said it is possible to be too cheap and it ends up costing you money or making you miserable

(I grew up in extreme poverty also and do know how to make a dollar holler)
Phillip did me proud. Found cans of Boston Baked Beans at the Dollar General for 1 cent per can, and bought them out. Nuttin' wrong em either.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Never makes me miserable, but prolly makes Lannie pissed off occasionally. :devil:

Well I'll save thousands initially if I can get the composter running the way I want it to - and my big rule right now is not to spend a dime making it happen

Now I do have to be careful with time - mine is valuable to me, my family and my business so you gotta weigh that when I do something cheap to save money, it usually means committing a big chunk of time

Like Cromwell fixing his own air conditioning, took a great deal of time, but saved a ton of money

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well I'll save thousands initially if I can get the composter running the way I want it to - and my big rule right now is not to spend a dime making it happen

Now I do have to be careful with time - mine is valuable to me, my family and my business so you gotta weigh that when I do something cheap to save money, it usually means committing a big chunk of time

Like Cromwell fixing his own air conditioning, took a great deal of time, but saved a ton of money
How are you going to get the composter to HI?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Everything seems to be growing well (those things we can find that are not totally hidden by the weeds). We're already munching some lettuce.
Right on...sure wish I could grow things like that here, but it's just to damn hot, and the sun is way to intense. I'll have to try a winter garden in the fall.

Can't wait to get to EC permanently, so I have the garden of my dreams, including every fruit tree imaginable. Speaking of fruit trees, I'm planting those when I go there next month. Hopefully in a few years they'll be producing fruit. The GF said the bananas are doing fine, grew about 6 feet since I left. They grow like weeds in that climate.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We are shipping a connex - this particular composter will likely not go with us, I just want to know exactly how it will work before I have to depend on it
Is the house in HI connected to a septic system?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Right on...sure wish I could grow things like that here, but it's just to damn hot, and the sun is way to intense. I'll have to try a winter garden in the fall..
We take advantage of the lilac hedge row to provide afternoon shade for those plants that can't take a lot of heat. The lilacs block the sun on our tomatoes (and peppers, etc.) from about noon onward, so there is no burning. The lilacs absorb all that and they are nearly impossible to kill, so I figured to take advantage of that. Tomorrow, my first weeding task is to cut down everything around the tomato pots so the 'maters can grow to their full height (they climb the wires I have over them to 5-6 feet high). If all these thunderstorms don't drown everything out there, we'll be canning tons of tomatoes this fall.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Love fresh or canned tomatoes the best of any veggie...you can't buy normal tasting tomatoes in a supermarket any longer - not here anyway...they all taste like greenhouse tomatoes with dry flesh and no juice....just disgusting.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Is the house in HI connected to a septic system?

Not yet - though it does have plans that are wet stamped and permits in place; however, if I go this route, we can have a gray water cesspool instead of a septic

Before taking such a drastic and unconventional move, I wanna see (and not smell) it work where I live now

It may not happen, but what better way to know if I will like it permanently than to build one in my own bathroom now, which is fully functioning and if there is a failure, it should not be a big deal

EDIT: Also, Hawaii law mandates - even with an owner/builder as contractor permit - that you have to have all plumbing installed by a licensed Hawaiian contractor, period.

I'll also be able to get away with a smaller water catchment system

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not yet - though it does have plans that are wet stamped and permits in place; however, if I go this route, we can have a gray water cesspool instead of a septic

Before taking such a drastic and unconventional move, I wanna see (and not smell) it work where I live now

It may not happen, but what better way to know if I will like it permanently than to build one in my own bathroom now, which is fully functioning and if there is a failure, it should not be a big deal
True, damn septic system in HI would prolly cost a LARGE fortune.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Love fresh or canned tomatoes the best of any veggie...you can't buy normal tasting tomatoes in a supermarket any longer - not here anyway...they all taste like greenhouse tomatoes with dry flesh and no juice....just disgusting.
Technically, tomatoes are a fruit... :eek: but I agree with you... I like them best of anything in the garden and home grown heirloom tomatoes are better than any of the shit from the grocery stores.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Technically, tomatoes are a fruit... :eek: but I agree with you... I like them best of anything in the garden and home grown heirloom tomatoes are better than any of the shit from the grocery stores.
Got that right...I have no idea why store bought tomatoes taste so shitty. Prolly pick them green and then rippen, which screws um up big time.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We have two "pie cherry" trees, and each year we see all the fruit and say, "Tomorrow we will come out and pick those," but when we get out there, they are all gone, but there are tons of really fat birds lounging around.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
We have two "pie cherry" trees, and each year we see all the fruit and say, "Tomorrow we will come out and pick those," but when we get out there, they are all gone, but there are tons of really fat birds lounging around.

That would be heartbreaking...

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's what happens to our mulberries. They are gone before they fully ripen.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It was for several years, then we got used to the fact that the birds have better timing than we do, and they live out there, so they know exactly when to swoop in and pick everything before we can get to it.
At least we don't have squirrels. Phillip shot the last one out of a treetop with his trusty pellet gun. They are infamous for screwing up our pecan harvest.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Our feral cat population (now up to 16 due to all the new babies this Spring) takes care of all the rodents round here. Even the 4 house cats eliminate a few now and then.
We don't have so much of a problem with rats or mice right now. We have a snake problem. Gonna put down some sulfur tomorrow. The schnauzer got bit by a rattler. Had to get him to the vet. I still hope he can make a full recovery.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We have a snake problem.
In all the time we have lived here, I have only had to kill two rattlers and two bull snakes. The ravine just east of our property is full of rattlers, but luckily, they don't come here often. Lots of little racers on the property, but they are harmless and the cats usually get them anyway.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In all the time we have lived here, I have only had to kill two rattlers and two bull snakes. The ravine just east of our property is full of rattlers, but luckily, they don't come here often. Lots of little racers on the property, but they are harmless and the cats usually get them anyway.
One night, when I was taking trash out, I spotted an eastern diamondback coiled up at the bottom of the steps. I had Phillip kill it. This one was only 18" long. If I find the parents, I'll fry em up. Not likely I'll find em, as the sulfur should drive em away. It screws up their sense of smell and makes it hard for em to hunt. Gets rid of fleas and chiggers, too.

VU Sponsors