Become a Patron!

Next Generation MTL tanks Part 2

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Very Kayfun like (i.e. tasty). Just got it yesterday in vapemail. I'm still working on wicking, which is a lil tricky as I got dry hits on 1st 2 builds. I think I have it now as I was blocking juice channels I believe at first.

This is the + clone which is fatter than the mini V3 and holds 4 ml of juice. Same build deck and chimney though.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As long as they keep the chimney the same and just keep making it wider to hold more then it should retain the flavor. I've never used a kayfun or Russians or any of those ones that have stood the test of time in this fast paced industry.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am really enjoying the hurricane though. I haven't had a leak or seepage or a dry hit or anything undesirable as of yet.
I received the magma reborn as well the same day and that is also quite enjoyable. I notice some sort of liquid build up in the airflow holes and under the afc ring but nothing as much to make it seep out onto the top of the mod as of yet. It performs really well and quite flavorful. I'm quite happy with both of the new toys.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As long as they keep the chimney the same and just keep making it wider to hold more then it should retain the flavor. I've never used a kayfun or Russians or any of those ones that have stood the test of time in this fast paced industry.

After my journey into sub-ohm and back to sanity :) I've broken back out my Kayfuns because as you say, they have stood the test of time and are so flavorful for MTL vaping. The only pains are bottom filling (but not going thru juice like a hoover helps with how often need to fill LOL) and airflow is hard to open up (I drilled mine out to 5/16ths which makes them perfect for my MTL).

I think it's worth it to own at least 1 Kayfun lite plus in your collection. Great for a kicked back MTL vape and can pick up a clone now for around $10.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Bottom fill is kind of a pain in the ass, but as you said a full day on a 3-4ml tank isn't too bad. Someone posted a link a couple pages back where you could get top fill top caps for the hurricane as well as nano kits that shorten the chimney and reduce the capacity. Looks interesting but the top caps are $50. If you had the authentic it may be worth it but with these clones, I'll stick to the bottom fill. Lol. I can't remember off hand how much the nano kits were.

F

fckaugust8th

The nano kits are about the same as the top fill caps. Spending $100 on parts for a $20 clone....isn't that like putting a $100 saddle on a $10 horse? I'm still working with the Merlin to get the kayfunesque draw but it has great flavor.

F

fckaugust8th

I was thinking about getting one but couldn't decide between the v3 mini and the v5.

F

fckaugust8th

I realize this is blasphemy, but if you stray into DL territory once in awhile, get a Alleria. Got it on ebay for $20. Great tank,great flavor.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm still trying DL but it's hard to get used to. I'm thinking I need a less fruity flavor and more of a creamy one and dual coils in the magma as well could help

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Bottom fill is kind of a pain in the ass, but as you said a full day on a 3-4ml tank isn't too bad. Someone posted a link a couple pages back where you could get top fill top caps for the hurricane as well as nano kits that shorten the chimney and reduce the capacity. Looks interesting but the top caps are $50. If you had the authentic it may be worth it but with these clones, I'll stick to the bottom fill. Lol. I can't remember off hand how much the nano kits were.

Yeah, they are both way too much, I love that mini hurricap but I'm not paying $30+ for a piece of plastic.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just FYI, this is the "plus" which is a larger clone... same deck and chimney but fatter than the regular mini.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I bought 2 Merlins cheaper than the Plus, so I'll just doink around with the minis. These are my inaugural ventures into building.

F

fckaugust8th

Actually, after pre-ordering a Dotbox and a Hohm Slice, buying 3 more Hohm G2, 2 Allerias and one Bachelor nano plus a bunch of knick-knacks from FT, I decided to hold on and save my cash. I have a feeling that many places in the US will start liquidating their stocks starting the middle of this month or so. I'm tempted to order the Sig 213 Fuchai but if I like the Slice, I'll get another one (or three) of them instead.
Ordering 5 more Allerias directly from Augvape might be in my future also:wait:

F

fckaugust8th

@Huckleberried , how do you like the Merlin? I like it, but it is a little too airy for me as a MTL, I like the bachelor nano better, it is more restricted. If the restrictors for the bachelor will fit the Merlin, then I will like it more.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm tempted to order the Sig 213
Do some research first. I don't have firsthand experience, but I'm reading issues, lately.
@Huckleberried , how do you like the Merlin?
I do like it. A LOT. I'm still a MTL vaper, can only imagine that I always will be, after almost 3 years of it, but I don't mine a less restricted airflow at all. You can send me yours :D. You're welcome!

F

fckaugust8th

"Do some research first. I don't have firsthand experience, but I'm reading issues, lately."
I've been reading the same thing too. I guess I will have to wait on the Slice and Dotbox to show up first.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
An update on my use of the Nautilus X. I'm shelving it until they come out with new coils. ATM I just set up a aspire plato (bought on sale at origin vape) and love it. I haven't bought myself a mod in two years. I did win a few mods so didn't feel like I deserved anything new.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
An update on my use of the Nautilus X. I'm shelving it until they come out with new coils. ATM I just set up a aspire plato (bought on sale at origin vape) and love it. I haven't bought myself a mod in two years. I did win a few mods so didn't feel like I deserved anything new.

Uh oh. What didnt you like about the coils?

F

fckaugust8th

I notice you didn't take me up on my offer to free you of the Merlin. Well played, Sir
I freely admit that I might be crazy, not stupid....there's vast difference between the two. I'm willing to invest the time in making the Merlin perform to my liking :vino:It is very possible that I might have overreached when I installed a dragon skin coil in the Merlin, I just have to get back to the basics and slowly work my way up to fancier coils.

F

fckaugust8th

Getting back to the kabuki clones, today I received 2 of the new vvtf ( might as well be wtf) nautilus/kabuki RBA decks, the version 2. The machining is much better, the juice channels are larger. You are still limited to wires 26g (possibly) or thinner. I decided to start with a simple 2mm ID (2.5 mm would be max)9 wraps 30g SS wire. Installing the coil is an exercise in patience, I'm pretty certain the Dalai Lama would've started cussing about 10 minutes in the process. Honestly, dragging naked in broken glass would have been more enjoyable. The build deck is minuscule, the retaining screws are microscopic. I'm not exaggerating, it is the honest truth. I would love to post pictures but I don't have a dissection microscope handy. It is very difficult to change coils in this thing. The positive side is that they do fit perfectly in the kabuki without any changes. How does it vape? you ask....well maybe not, but it vapes nice, no dry hits. Wicking is a little easier than the v1, but installing the coils in v1 was easier, relatively speaking. My good fortune is that among my hobbies I do micro chain maille , otherwise I would not have spent the time required to get this thing working. As if this is not enough, I am planning to try a 2 strand twisted 30g wire coil next followed by a clapton coil. I can not give a fair idea of the flavor since I've been using the Alleria today we will see in the morning, after my taste buds get a respite. I will get back with more impressions on this.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Getting back to the kabuki clones, today I received 2 of the new vvtf ( might as well be wtf) nautilus/kabuki RBA decks, the version 2. The machining is much better, the juice channels are larger. You are still limited to wires 26g (possibly) or thinner. I decided to start with a simple 2mm ID (2.5 mm would be max)9 wraps 30g SS wire. Installing the coil is an exercise in patience, I'm pretty certain the Dalai Lama would've started cussing about 10 minutes in the process. Honestly, dragging naked in broken glass would have been more enjoyable. The build deck is minuscule, the retaining screws are microscopic. I'm not exaggerating, it is the honest truth. I would love to post pictures but I don't have a dissection microscope handy. It is very difficult to change coils in this thing. The positive side is that they do fit perfectly in the kabuki without any changes. How does it vape? you ask....well maybe not, but it vapes nice, no dry hits. Wicking is a little easier than the v1, but installing the coils in v1 was easier, relatively speaking. My good fortune is that among my hobbies I do micro chain maille , otherwise I would not have spent the time required to get this thing working. As if this is not enough, I am planning to try a 2 strand twisted 30g wire coil next followed by a clapton coil. I can not give a fair idea of the flavor since I've been using the Alleria today we will see in the morning, after my taste buds get a respite. I will get back with more impressions on this.
Hahahah.
The wife really likes her nautilus mini. I am trying to get her into building coils and was going to pick up one of these for her but I guess I won't bother. She's not the most patient person.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger

e6f262845901ef0120115afa174ca410742861c72ee35ab39c5928d6561db28d.jpg

:)

F

fckaugust8th

@CDroverNL, @SharkVape, ever feel like the whole world is a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes? I'm trying to find a tank that vapes the way I like. So far it seems the Melo 3 with the 1.8 ohm coils comes the closest in the ready built category. The original Triton in second place. I think I'll buy another Melo 3 mini and a bunch of coils, maybe an RBA or two for them. The nautilus /kabuki RBA is a great idea but a major pain to built. The RTA category is not so clear. Alleria is a great DL tank IMHO but the MTL subcategory is still open. So far I'm playing with the Bachelor nano and the Merlin. Bach. nano is good but Merlin is slowly moving up. If the air flow restrictors for the Bach nano will fit the Merlin, then I'm golden. If the don't, I'll just have to make my own.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
I know buddy, I understand.
There's somethin there on yer chin again...
babeando.gif

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, I hear ya. The goblin was too finicky for me personally. The hurricane is doing great tho. The airflow is very adjustable, easy to build and wick and flavor is better than the goblin. Cloud production is close to dual coil goblin. The draw on the nautilus is now too tight for my liking. The balrog with the 1.8s was real nice I found. I'm holding out hope for the rba section to perform well. They should be ordered soon. In the next week or so.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Current update for me:

After coming back to MTL after foray into DL I had missed a few tanks or just never got to them, KFL + and Lemo 2 were where I started to veer off into DL (Starre, TFV4, etc.).

Now I'm backtracking and trying all the tanks I missed and small stocking up on the ones that vape the way I like and produce the best flavor.

So far I've settled on:
  • Hurricane
  • Squape R(s) (W deck)
These 2 do not fail, no leaking, no dry hit. Filling Squape is a bit painful. Bottom filling to me is no big deal, so Hurricane wins there. Can pick up bell caps, etc. real cheap.

Recently received and still evaluating:
  • Gem
  • KF V3 + (the fat clone)
Gem has really good flavor and looks fantastic. It's a really different type of design and takes some getting used to so there is a curve. Bit more fiddly than the Hurri or SQ

KF V3 + was tough to figure out wicking. Got dry hits on both first tries. Used less on last build and did not go all the way to deck but left space. I think it's all good now and producing really good flavor. I'm not crazy about the juice control but not a deal breaker either.

Coming in vape mail:
  • Pico
  • KF V3
  • Erl mini
I like single coil, low watt, MTL type vaping as my style of vaping, so those are the types of tanks I'm reviewing and putting in the collection :)

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I second the hurricane! I'm waiting on the Bachelor but the next one I gets after that I think is going to be a squape. I don't know what one yet though.
I need to pick something and stock up. There's legislation comming to my neck of the woods now that may kill local B&M as well may hurt the import from online sales. I need to stock up on cotton and wire as well as diy juice supplies

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I second the hurricane! I'm waiting on the Bachelor but the next one I gets after that I think is going to be a squape. I don't know what one yet though.
I need to pick something and stock up. There's legislation comming to my neck of the woods now that may kill local B&M as well may hurt the import from online sales. I need to stock up on cotton and wire as well as diy juice supplies

IMO, this squape is the right buy:

http://www.3fvape.com/rebuildable-a...-diameter.html?search_query=squape&results=21

Grab a bell cap from 3F and some extra ceramic decks from FT and is a good one to have for cheap.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's legislation comming to my neck of the woods now that may kill local B&M as well may hurt the import from online sales. I need to stock up on cotton and wire as well as diy juice supplies

I heard something was coming down the pipe but haven't actually read anything yet. Got a link?

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't. I haven't looked much into it yet. I don't k ow if it's goin to be canada wide or if it's just through newfoundland legislation

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What I see is several juice vendors now coming out with "no frills" juice lines at around $6 for 30 mils. Still a huge margin but the days of 1000+ percent profit are coming to and end and I say good for the consumer at least in this regard.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
What I see is several juice vendors now coming out with "no frills" juice lines at around $6 for 30 mils. Still a huge margin but the days of 1000+ percent profit are coming to and end and I say good for the consumer at least in this regard.
I don't know what it's like where your from but here there are people mixing juice out of their house and selling it for reasonable prices. Most of these people currently work at or have worked in local vape shops therefore they know what they are doing. no matter what the government comes out with they will still be able to get around it because they are a cash only business that don't do it as their full time income. They do it for extra cash and to help the vape community have easier access to good juice. With thousands of people in the area buying from these people and giving them rave reviews I figure it can't be no worse than buying any other "brand" of juice. I'm sure also that if I was to ask to see the bottles of things they are using it wouldn't be any different from what I could get myself.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't know what it's like where your from but here there are people mixing juice out of their house and selling it for reasonable prices. Most of these people currently work at or have worked in local vape shops therefore they know what they are doing. no matter what the government comes out with they will still be able to get around it because they are a cash only business that don't do it as their full time income. They do it for extra cash and to help the vape community have easier access to good juice. With thousands of people in the area buying from these people and giving them rave reviews I figure it can't be no worse than buying any other "brand" of juice. I'm sure also that if I was to ask to see the bottles of things they are using it wouldn't be any different from what I could get myself.

Completely agree and those who DIY can't really be stopped IMO. DIY makes it clear how much the extreme markup has been for juices, that's the only reason I say, in the context of that one issue, this benefits the consumer.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alrighty all caught up for now I think...So much for taking a week off.Eventually I'll get around to doing that...Grrr. :mad::xD::mad::cuss2::mad:

Oh and before I forget...Love you too @Whiskey .

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
I need coils for my Melo 3. I want stainless in .2 -.4 ohms.

I know these Aspire formatted coils have been copied dozens of times and support at least as many tanks.
Which are best? The Triton or Aspire coil heads? ...Supertank coil heads? There's a ton of em!

Are any of these significantly better in flavor? Which even come in SS? :huh:

F

fckaugust8th

@SharkVape, I use the 1.8 ohm coils that I bought for the Triton. There are a few rba options also. Since I remember you saying that vapor dna is within driving distance for you, check out the sauce code coils and rba.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have a couple of those Triton RBA's. Those are pretty nice, easy to build on. Good vids on the Tube for 'em too.

Shark Vape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
MUD Slinger
I guess I'm wondering what sub-ohm SS coil heads will fit on the M3.
...and about the design differences and evolution...

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
the triton heads have the cleanest flavor out of any in my experience. the SS with the organic cotton, just cant be beat

F

fckaugust8th

Nautilus RBA revisited. Well, the v2 is about as useful as a 3 dollar bill. Simply put, don't waste your money, the V1 is better if you don't mind the slight gap at the top of the nautilus tanks or having to change the glass on the Kabuki ( use the zephyrus glass)

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Are the V1s still available

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't think.
I went back to basics in the hurricane. 28g kanthal. 9ish wraps. 1.47 ohms. It's not very good, I don't think. I don't know if it's the lack of vapor production or the taste off the kanthal. I'm going to try the same build with ss in the morning after work and see what happens. I did try 3*28 kanthal twisted but it was too hot. I think 2 twisted ss is going to be my favorite

VU Sponsors