Become a Patron!

New eVic VTC 3.0 update... TCR Adjust.

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Always happy to help when I can Amalias. :D
1) The SS316 setting works beautifully with the 2 SS Crown coils that I've tried so far as well as the RBA. The Ni200 legs aren't an issue.
2) You can adjust the user defined TCR values in small increments, but it's a little different from other devices. If you plan on using SS more than any other TC wire, then a good starting point for the VTC Mini TCR settings might be:
M1 = 0092 (common for for 316L)
M2 = 0105 (common for 304)
M3 = 0120 (default)

From what I can tell, the SS316 setting has a TCR of around 140. The 3 user TCR settings above generally lowers the amount of heat you will get with SS builds. The lower the TCR number the cooler the vape at a given temp setting. For exapmle, I much prefer to vape my 304SS builds with the 304SS TCR (M2 set to 0105), but it also works with the standard 316L setting. It's vapes cooler with the TCR set to 0105 than the default SS316 setting. Using the new TCR settings starts off confusing, but it gets much easier as you use them.

Strange as it may sound, every stainless steel single-coil I've tried vapes pretty well with any of the TCR settings. It simply gets cooler with lower TCR settings using the same temperature and watt settings.

Dual coil builds are another matter. I'll have to play around with more dual coil builds to get a handle on them. Hopefully we have a few dual coil vapers here that can tell us what TCR settings they find work best. Might have to bust out some dripers and start playing around with them.

I'm a dual coil Human. I used to stay on top of the vaping technological advances and jumped into TC with both feet in early 2015 buying several expensive DNA40 devices. I guess the difficulty of building with Ni200 coupled with the uncertainty of the wisdom of vaping a toxic wire sort of put me off my stride. But I love my Evic minis and I'm glad that Joytech is kicking ass in firmware updates. I'll get around to switching to the new version soon. I was never happy with the original SS TC mode when I tried it with my Crown tanks. Glad to hear that it rocks now.
I'm just making my very first Ti build today, even though I've had the wire for months now. Ti flavor seems a bit muted and the wire is super malleable and was a bit of a pain to build. Guess I'll have to get some SS wire and add it to my collection. Sigh. Fucking shiny-itis strikes again. Messing around with the Rx200 these days and waiting for the Ruelaux DNA200 to show up in the vape mail. I wish my boys at Lightning Vapes had SS wire, I've always liked buying from them. Thanks again for your insight, keep up the posting. I really like to learn from the experience of my fellow vaping Humans! You make the mistakes and then let me know so I can avoid them, you find out what works and I'll follow your trailblazing path to cloudy, flavorful bliss!

HDMontana

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm a dual coil Human. I used to stay on top of the vaping technological advances and jumped into TC with both feet in early 2015 buying several expensive DNA40 devices. I guess the difficulty of building with Ni200 coupled with the uncertainty of the wisdom of vaping a toxic wire sort of put me off my stride. But I love my Evic minis and I'm glad that Joytech is kicking ass in firmware updates. I'll get around to switching to the new version soon. I was never happy with the original SS TC mode when I tried it with my Crown tanks. Glad to hear that it rocks now.
I'm just making my very first Ti build today, even though I've had the wire for months now. Ti flavor seems a bit muted and the wire is super malleable and was a bit of a pain to build. Guess I'll have to get some SS wire and add it to my collection. Sigh. Fucking shiny-itis strikes again. Messing around with the Rx200 these days and waiting for the Ruelaux DNA200 to show up in the vape mail. I wish my boys at Lightning Vapes had SS wire, I've always liked buying from them. Thanks again for your insight, keep up the posting. I really like to learn from the experience of my fellow vaping Humans! You make the mistakes and then let me know so I can avoid them, you find out what works and I'll follow your trailblazing path to cloudy, flavorful bliss!
X2 on wishing lightening vapes had ss wire.

HD

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
X2 on wishing lightening vapes had ss wire.

HD
You can get SS wire here. They are in the USA, out of Missouri iirc. I want to try some of that SS430 myself. I already have SS316L.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit They have other grades of SS and Ti as well. I don't work for them or am I in any affiliated with them. I just saw you guys were looking for SS wire and figured I'd pass on the link.

Last edited:

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
X3 on wishing Lightning Vapes had SS wire. I wound up ordering a 30ft spool of UD 316L from Origin Vape. Most places I checked we're either out of SS or didn't carry it at all.

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I sent the Humans at LV an email asking them to carry SS wire. Their service is always top notch and I like to support them in their business endeavors. Hopefully they'll pick it up. Stop by their site and message them. Enough requests from their customers and you know they'll get onboard the SS train as it rolls down the tracks.

Does using SS wire make you feel like a black-shirted stormtrooper?

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Always happy to help when I can Amalias. :D
1) The SS316 setting works beautifully with the 2 SS Crown coils that I've tried so far as well as the RBA. The Ni200 legs aren't an issue.
2) You can adjust the user defined TCR values in small increments, but it's a little different from other devices. If you plan on using SS more than any other TC wire, then a good starting point for the VTC Mini TCR settings might be:
M3 = 0120 (default)

From what I can tell, the SS316 setting has a TCR of around 140. The 3 user TCR settings above generally lowers the amount of heat you will get with SS builds. The lower the TCR number the cooler the vape at a given temp setting. For exapmle, I much prefer to vape my 304SS builds with the 304SS TCR (M2 set to 0105), but it also works with the standard 316L setting. It's vapes cooler with the TCR set to 0105 than the default SS316 setting. Using the new TCR settings starts off confusing, but it gets much easier as you use them.

Strange as it may sound, every stainless steel single-coil I've tried vapes pretty well with any of the TCR settings. It simply gets cooler with lower TCR settings using the same temperature and watt settings.

Dual coil builds are another matter. I'll have to play around with more dual coil builds to get a handle on them. Hopefully we have a few dual coil vapers here that can tell us what TCR settings they find work best. Might have to bust out some dripers and start playing around with them.

Just whipped up my first surgical grade 1 Ti atty today. Does the TCR value in the firmware upgrade help with Ti TC? There are different grades of titanium wire after all and different gauges.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Model_A_Ford said: ↑
I sort of want to update, but I'm not sure.
I see that you can enter your own coefficient values and store them in presets,
and adds a 316 preset. Am I missing anything else?
You say that like it's not a big deal...
That's a night & day difference. It is what sets the VTC Mini apart from ALL other mods in this category.
Simply asking what the update changes.

Someone else says that you can flip-flop back and forth between versions? This is a menu option?

Anyway, I tried to update but no dice. Won't work with my operating system.

HaileStorm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Simply asking what the update changes.

Someone else says that you can flip-flop back and forth between versions? This is a menu option?

Anyway, I tried to update but no dice. Won't work with my operating system.
Try using the supplied usb cable. I was about to lose hair when my mac wouldn't recognize my cuboid but when i used the supplied cable, it worked like a charm.

Dunno why these mods are so specific to their provided usb cables...

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have an older Mac, I downloaded but when I try to open it tells me that it will not work with my operating system.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I have an older Mac, I downloaded but when I try to open it tells me that it will not work with my operating system.
What operating system are you running on your Mac? If the firmware update tool won't run on it, can you run a virtual machine to do the update from windows? It's a bit of a PITA, but it may at least get you the ability to update the mod.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What operating system are you running on your Mac? If the firmware update tool won't run on it, can you run a virtual machine to do the update from windows? It's a bit of a PITA, but it may at least get you the ability to update the mod.
OSX 10.4.11 It's pretty old, not updateable. I'll look into it, but I'm not confident that I have the computer know-how to use a virtual machine to run windows on it. That's a good idea though, thanks.

F

fckaugust8th

OSX 10.4.11 It's pretty old, not updateable. I'll look into it, but I'm not confident that I have the computer know-how to use a virtual machine to run windows on it. That's a good idea though, thanks.
I have a Mac with 10.6.8 and the update works. The stupid mods are VERY particular on the usb cable you use, you have to use the one that came in the box with your mod. Case in point, I used the cable with the evic vtc and now I'm running v3.0. I used the same cable to try and update the RX200 and ....no joy! The firmware and hardware do not appear on the screen. Now, have to look for the cable that came with the wismecs ( Presa 75w and RX 200).
So, my question is : what do you do is you can't find the original cable? Just askin'
Cheers,
Brewbear

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just whipped up my first surgical grade 1 Ti atty today. Does the TCR value in the firmware upgrade help with Ti TC? There are different grades of titanium wire after all and different gauges.

Yes. VTC has always seemed weak compared to my IVP's. I set mine to 395 400 & 405. I use 400 and that makes a .36Ω coil go to a similar Ω as what my .36Ω D's get with the same temperature setting.

I've seen recommendations for settings WAY lower than that for Ti. I have no way to test the temperature to know. That is just what it takes to get all my TC mods acting the same.

F

fckaugust8th

Well, posted this question on the Rx200 thread but, am I understanding right that you can apply the VTC 3.0 update to the Presa 75w?

Cheers,
Brewbear

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Now that is an interesting idea, I think I need a Presa to play with ... :)

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
It get even weirder...

It's a Joyetech/Wismec thing. Someone said they saw a vid (Busardo's ?) showing a new Wismec/Vapor Flask model with an undocumented TCR Adjust feature ala the VTC 3.0 fw.
That started speculation of doing the "trick" with the RX (the RX updater includes the new VF .bins the way the VTC download includes the Presa files).

I don't have either a Presa or the new VFs so I haven't kept track of the discussion. Nor have I seen the display of the VFs. Shoehorning the VTCs TCR Adjust into the RX's smaller display may be what's holding up that rumored upgrade. Don't know, hoping JTech gets one to work on the RX.
I'd be interested in following this. Do you have a link to the thread where this is being discussed?

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Or you could actually read his posts where he's mentioned it several times.
Hell... the MacOS version is even on this very page. :rolleyes:
Yes, I replied to an earlier comment, not noticing, at first, there were subsequent posts.

If you hadn't been so quick on the trigger, so anxious to jump all over somebody, you would have noticed I edited-out that question less than 60 seconds after I asked it
rolleyes.gif

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, posted this question on the Rx200 thread but, am I understanding right that you can apply the VTC 3.0 update to the Presa 75w?

Cheers,
Brewbear
I just got a Presa 75 that I bought specifically hoping to try that, but it doesn't work. They must have changed something to stop people from doing it. A German YouTube reviewer showed how to install the VTC Firmware on a Presa a while back but I (and others) can't get it to work. I have hardware 1.01 and tried with older and newer firmware installers using all the tricks. Hopefully Wismec will come out with a new firmware for TCR adjustments soon. It's still a nice mod with fully functional SS TC and the screen is easier to read than any other mod I own.

Yes... maybe.

The "trick" was to hook up the VTC, then once it was recognized by the installer, you could unplug the VTC, switch to the Presa and select/install the .bin update.

However... there may have been a rapid response from Joyetech to stop this.
There may be a change in the installer application. Not sure.
It's not working for everyone and not many have posted reports of attempts, so solid data is scarce.

But it did, and may still, work.
That seems to be the case. For whatever reason Joyetech doesn't seem to want users to have firmware cross compatibility with these two mods. It looks like people with older Presa mods can use the update trick but the newer mods put a stop to it.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
I just got a Presa 75 that I bought specifically hoping to try that, but it doesn't work. They must have changed something to stop people from doing it. A German YouTube reviewer showed how to install the VTC Firmware on a Presa a while back but I (and others) can't get it to work. I have hardware 1.01 and tried with older and newer firmware installers using all the tricks. Hopefully Wismec will come out with a new firmware for TCR adjustments soon. It's still a nice mod with fully functional SS TC and the screen is easier to read than any other mod I own.

That seems to be the case. For whatever reason Joyetech doesn't seem to want users to have firmware cross compatibility with these two mods. It looks like people with older Presa mods can use the update trick but the newer mods put a stop to it.
So if I am going to look for a Presa, then I need to find one with hardware revision 1.0? Also, how can you tell the hardware revision?

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So if I am going to look for a Presa, then I need to find one with hardware revision 1.0? Also, how can you tell the hardware revision?
You have to run the mod through the update program to see the hardware version, just like a VTC Mini. I can't be sure what was changed to stop the firmware trick to work. So far we're guessing.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can turn the Presa off and check it just like the VTC. Turn it off with 5 clicks. Then click it 20 times. The screen will show you the firmware version.

jasonculp

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got a pair of Persa's and a pair of eVic VTC mini's in the mail Friday morning. I tried this trick yesturday and it worked perfectly.
Persa.jpg
SoftwareUpdate.jpg

All I did was download the latest update software for the eVic VTC mini, plug in the mini and tell it to update, unplug the mini, plug in the Persa, choose the V3.0 bin file and it updated fine.

I don't know what my original versions were. I didn't check. I guess you could hook it up to the Wismec updater and tell. The Joyetech software thinks it is version 1.01 as seen in the image.

I then tried to look at it in the Wismec updater, and it gives the "unknown device" error.

A possible word of caution though, It has acted a bit wonky when plugging it in and unplugging it from the USB cable. For some reason it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I did the 5 clicks, removed the battery, but nothing worked. In desperation I held down the fire and up button at the same time and it came on. I am not sure what I did, or why it did it. It seems to be working fine now.

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK Humans, after reading all your joyous posts about the Evic VTC Mini firmware 3.0 I plugged them all in and updated my mods. Haven't yet TCed a Crown tank SS coil, but nice to have a default 316L setting. Should make for a much better vape. I tailored a memory preset to .0366 for Ti Grade 1 but I'm not really sure if that's the TCR value I want for the material, it's just something I saw on the innertube and tried. Guess I need a chart or a linky-dink for TCRs of various wires. Can't seem to find one in steamengine.org even.

I did build up a dual coil Ti Grade 1 atty. It reads .152 ohms on my ohm meter, but when I put it on the mini in M1 (TCR set for Ti Grade 1 @ .0366) the resistance shows .12 and it temp protects like crazy at 510 degrees F.
Then I set the mod to stock Ti and it reads .13 ohms and vapes much better. Yes, I locked resistance in both modes. Wonder why it's reading the resistance low? I rechecked the atty when cold on the meter and it indeed is .152 ohms, put it back on the mod cold and repeated with the same results. Hmmmm...

I like the screen better in firmware 3.0. Who needs a puff counter or a time of vaping display. Not me.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[
I got a pair of Persa's and a pair of eVic VTC mini's in the mail Friday morning. I tried this trick yesturday and it worked perfectly.
View attachment 37862
A possible word of caution though, It has acted a bit wonky when plugging it in and unplugging it from the USB cable. For some reason it turned off and wouldn't turn back on. I did the 5 clicks, removed the battery, but nothing worked. In desperation I held down the fire and up button at the same time and it came on. I am not sure what I did, or why it did it. It seems to be working fine now.

I just tried updating my mod again and it did the same thing to my mod except my Presa will not come on again.

Hold up... Just got it to work. *phew* This is a tricky mod.

jasonculp

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
1.01 is the hardware version.

I think you are correct. The software thinks the Persa is a eVic mini with V1.01 hardware. The only reason I question this is that the software is for the eVic mini not the Persa. I will take the other one out of the box that I have not changed the software on and see what the Wismec software thinks it is. I am pretty sure it will be 1.01 too.

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think you are correct. The software thinks the Persa is a eVic mini with V1.01 hardware. The only reason I question this is that the software is for the eVic mini not the Persa. I will take the other one out of the box that I have not changed the software on and see what the Wismec software thinks it is. I am pretty sure it will be 1.01 too.

Very interested in your results with the Rx200!

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Excellent. Maybe it all really is the timing and sequence to get the trick to work.

We should set those Germans on the case.
They've been ahead of everything VTC related so far. :p
Oh no no. The VTC firmware didn't load onto the Presa. I was relieved because the Presa is working again. It stopped working for a couple of minutes. I had to reinstall the Presa firmware to get it going. Still no luck installing the VTC firmware. Sorry for the confusion. :(

Last edited:

jasonculp

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very interested in your results with the Rx200!

I wished the V3.00 software would work on the RX200! I still have not updated mine to 1.08 yet. I don't use it much. TBH I use my NEBOX more than anything. It is not one of the better mods out there, but I really like the form factor, and it has been dependable so far.

I have been using the Wismec Persa 75TC with the eVic V3.0 software and the Crown with the factory Ni200 coils this weekend and it has been a really good experience so far.

Oh no no. The VTC firmware didn't load onto the Presa. I was relieved because the Presa is working again. It stopped working for a couple of minutes. I had to reinstall the Presa firmware to get it going. Still no luck installing the VTC firmware. Sorry for the confusion. :(

Dang that sucks. I was hoping it would work for you. I may try to update my other one later today to see what I did different to make it work. It seems to work pretty good on the Persa. I will say I am not pleased with either it or the evic VTC mini with titanium coils, It is just too cool of a vape, I have even tried to change the TCR and it is not much better. I run titanium in the NEBOX, but as poor as the TC is 400F may be actually 600F...who knows...

IX of XIII

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
when it comes to updating, its best to use a usb cable that not only charges but transfers data. Most cell phone cables will work cause they are also used for when adding/moving files between comp and phone.

IX of XIII

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
oh, and also, just because displays are similar and/or the manufacturers are the same company does not mean that each models firmware will work. especially when it comes to the RX. The cuboid and evic vtc are two different beasts. id rather be patient and wait for the proper update (which joyetech comes out with way more frequently than most cell phone companies) than to try and "trick" the devices and wind up with a paperweight. Just my 2 cents

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
New VTC Mini owner here and relatively new vaper (4 weeks). Just recently received my SS316L and Nobunaga RDA. Built dual microcoil @ .21 ohms. Havent messed around with any TCR settings as I'm still not too familiar with it. I dont know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm not getting that much vapor with that set up...
On the other hand, I'm getting better performance with my Cthulhu V2, dual micro coil Ti @ .24 ohms. Any tips and recommendations to improve my RDA experience?

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
New VTC Mini owner here and relatively new vaper (4 weeks). Just recently received my SS316L and Nobunaga RDA. Built dual microcoil @ .21 ohms. Havent messed around with any TCR settings as I'm still not too familiar with it. I dont know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm not getting that much vapor with that set up...
On the other hand, I'm getting better performance with my Cthulhu V2, dual micro coil Ti @ .24 ohms. Any tips and recommendations to improve my RDA experience?
Glad to have a new vaper on the forum. Welcome aboard.
Try using spaced coils if you're going for temp control with SS. Aiming for a slightly higher resistance is also not a bad idea. Builds that are around 0.4 ohms or higher usually work consistently well, although lower ohm builds will work. I mostly recommend trying spaced coils. Some people have gotten stainless steel contact coils to work in temp control, but many people have had no luck with them. If you give it a go please let us know if it helps or not.

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Try using spaced coils if you're going for temp control with SS. Aiming for a slightly higher resistance is also not a bad idea. Builds that are around 0.4 ohms or higher usually work consistently well, although lower ohm builds will work. I mostly recommend trying spaced coils. Some people have gotten stainless steel contact coils to work in temp control, but many people have had no luck with them. If you give it a go please let us know if it helps or not.
Thanks for the suggestion! Will post up after ibtry that out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
I now think I've been using my mod incorrectly. After some more reading, I feel that the TC Ni, TC Ti, and TC SS316 modes are for prebuilt coil heads. Am I mistaken? So would this mean that if I build my own Ti and SS coils regardless if its dual or single micro coils, I'd have to manually input a TCR setting for those 2 metals and vape in those modes??

Upon receiving my mod, I built a Ti dual coil in TC Ti mode, and noticed that it did not perform anywhere near what I was aiming for. I then switched it from TC Ti mode to TC Ni mode, still with the same Ti coils @ .23 ohms and it performs much better (I was vaping at about 35w @ 440F). And with the same parameters but in the TCR M1 setting (still at 440F & 35W) it still does not vape the same, and now have to increase the temp to over 550F to get the same experience as in TC Ni mode (still with my Ti wire).

Any advice?

F

fckaugust8th

It is my understanding that the TCR M1,M2 and M3 are "presets" for stainless steel wire.

M3 = 0120 (default)
Cheers,
Brewbear

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
It is my understanding that the TCR M1,M2 and M3 are "presets" for stainless steel wire.

Cheers,
Brewbear
I came across this table, which leads me to believe that TCR values may be set according to what type of coil you're using, which does not appear limited to SS wire only. :confused:
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/3xq9qr/vtc_mini_tcr_values/

So currently, I have set my M1 to 366 to work with my Ti dual coil build.

I have to say, TCR @ 366 with my Ti does not perform as well as TCR @ 92 for my SS361L.

Last edited:

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I now think I've been using my mod incorrectly. After some more reading, I feel that the TC Ni, TC Ti, and TC SS316 modes are for prebuilt coil heads. Am I mistaken? So would this mean that if I build my own Ti and SS coils regardless if its dual or single micro coils, I'd have to manually input a TCR setting for those 2 metals and vape in those modes??

Upon receiving my mod, I built a Ti dual coil in TC Ti mode, and noticed that it did not perform anywhere near what I was aiming for. I then switched it from TC Ti mode to TC Ni mode, still with the same Ti coils @ .23 ohms and it performs much better (I was vaping at about 35w @ 440F). And with the same parameters but in the TCR M1 setting (still at 440F & 35W) it still does not vape the same, and now have to increase the temp to over 550F to get the same experience as in TC Ni mode (still with my Ti wire).

Any advice?
Honestly, since SS became a thing I haven't touched Ti or Ni200 wire so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I can say that if your TCR setting of 0366 is too cool at your normal temp setting you can always bump the TCR up a bit. First off, make sure the watts are set pretty high for any dual coil build. Then try bringing up the TCR 10 points at a time until it feels about right for your normal temp setting. It could also be uneven coils or a loose connection. Ti and Ni200 dual coils can be tricky because you can't dry burn the coils to see of they both glow evenly. It's one of the reasons I love stainless. That said, lots of people prefer using Ti.

Can you tell me in what way it is preforming poorly? Is it too cool, hot, pulsing, or something else? Sorry that it took so long to respond. I was all over the place today. :p

cdcee

Member For 4 Years
Honestly, since SS became a thing I haven't touched Ti or Ni200 wire so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I can say that if your TCR setting of 0366 is too cool at your normal temp setting you can always bump the TCR up a bit. First off, make sure the watts are set pretty high for any dual coil build. Then try bringing up the TCR 10 points at a time until it feels about right for your normal temp setting. It could also be uneven coils or a loose connection. Ti and Ni200 dual coils can be tricky because you can't dry burn the coils to see of they both glow evenly. It's one of the reasons I love stainless. That said, lots of people prefer using Ti.

Can you tell me in what way it is preforming poorly? Is it too cool, hot, pulsing, or something else? Sorry that it took so long to respond. I was all over the place today.
Not a problem! I mean that I'm not getting as much vapor production when compared to the previous setting. It seems like protection intervenes way too early.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use stainless contact coils in temperature control without a problem.

I've read people have problems with resistance floating all over the place when they try.
I found that is not in the coil but in the connection. They need to be screwed down, then used, and then screwed down a second time.

That said, I still would prefer spaced coils. But those don't work in a goblin mini. :)
I've used stainless steel contact coils in TC also. It definitely can work, but it hasn't worked with all of my atomizers, and a few attys can be hit or miss. Spaced coils do not have the same failure rate. That's the main reason I recommend using them, but I can definitely see how it would be tricky with a Goblin mini.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was having a hard time with hot legs on spaced ss. I built contacts with no issues so far. I will play around until I figure out the spaced coils.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Whoa, I haven't seen or heard about that issue.. What were you building on?
Velocity mini with 28g...I kept checking the connections thinking they were loose, but nope they were tight. I got frustrated, yanked the spaced, built a contact dual and no issues. That was the very first time I have ever had hot legs on any wire, any build.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Velocity mini with 28g...I kept checking the connections thinking they were loose, but nope they were tight. I got frustrated, yanked the spaced, built a contact dual and no issues. That was the very first time I have ever had hot legs on any wire, any build.
That is unusual. I had that happen and ended up switching out the offending coil.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Both coils were the offending coil in my case. I strummed poked prodded and fiddled until I just gave up on them.
:eek:
Holy cow! You really hit a SNAFU. I wonder if 26 gauge would've worked? It's my go to size for both 316 & 304 SS and hasn't let me down yet. Glad the contact coils solved your hot leg issue.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
:eek:
Holy cow! You really hit a SNAFU. I wonder if 26 gauge would've worked? It's my go to size for both 316 & 304 SS and hasn't let me down yet. Glad the contact coils solved your hot leg issue.
26g in route on a very slow boat.

VU Sponsors