Moving over from "you know where"

ItTechy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Might that have been nu-vapor.com? It doesn't exist any more...

Rick,

I really HONESTLY don't remember, but it was a forum that existed almost as a ghost forum, used the same software, and some peeps from ECF bought it....and run it like the SS and I don't mean Secret Service...LOL!

They had a few members from ECF jump ship as admins there and it seemed they didn't communicate well with each other...

Just the fact I was accused of being a troll was at the very least extremely amusing!

Now then I am a bonified Ass Hole (ask my wife or coworkers) but a troll, ah no! :sneaka:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rick,

I really HONESTLY don't remember, but it was a forum that existed almost as a ghost forum, used the same software, and some peeps from ECF bought it....and run it like the SS and I don't mean Secret Service...LOL!

They had a few members from ECF jump ship as admins there and it seemed they didn't communicate well with each other...

Just the fact I was accused of being a troll was at the very least extremely amusing!

Now then I am a bonified Ass Hole (ask my wife or coworkers) but a troll, ah no! :sneaka:

I haven't been on ECF for a bit over a year, but one thing I remember about you is from the TFA thread; you and I, I think, were some of the very few defending the concept of measuring liquids with liquid measures, rather than weight -- as I think you said one time, do we buy a gallon of bacon, or 8 lbs of milk? No, we buy a pound of bacon and a gallon milk. I've used those exact words over here, because it just makes sense. I suppose if some want to do it by weight, they're certainly free to do so, but it is in fact quite assbackward. :D Or perhaps over there we said "backdonkeyward". :D

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok, this is how fucking nazi-crazy moderation can get at ECF.

So... what's the big deal? That quit smoking banner down there in my signature.

Wha you ask? What's the thing that would send a moderator off the rails about this:

1312101000_1.42_20_USD_4.2_dark.png

It contains 2,800 too many pixels.

And a moderation war was thus reigned down on my ass. I kid you not. (@AndriaD this one should sound familiar...)

Just to make sure this is perfectly clear, here's the whole damned story:

ECF has a forum rule that a sig banner can be no larger than 400 x 65 pixels. Why? Who knows - that rule was made up in 2009. That banner there is 480 x 60 pixels. 2,800 too many pixels will get you all sorts of nasty messages about infractions, rule reminders and even modifications to both your account info and your account settings.

That banner had been used on ECF for years - no issues. For a short while the site generating it decided to insert ad logos into the banner - all of a sudden we were all pimping Zamplebox if that banner was in our profile. ECF, rightly so, blocked the banner at the URL level.

SinceMyLastCigarette.com saw the error of their ways and stopped putting ad logos on the quit smoking banner. I asked "the powers that be" if it could now be unblocked. It was reviewed and - tada! - Returd1 of all people decided to unblock it.

Within a month clAsswife sent me a Rule Violation notice and told me to remove the banner from my profile because it was too large. WTF?

clAsswife has been on a hit and miss mission to issue rule infraction notices on a member by member basis for people using that quit smoking banner ever since. She issues a rule reminder. If you don't remove the banner she removes it from your profile herself- and issues a rule violation warning. If you put the banner back up the cycle repeats. You would think moderators have better things to do but...

Now several points were made via convo messages:

1.) If this was such a huge problem and was going to break the internet or something... then why not just block the damned banner at the URL level - just like they did before? Seems that would be easier, than chasing down members one at a time citing a rule violation.

Response? "A rule is a rule. :)"

2.) WHY is it I see so many accounts using that banner, but it appears to be a more personal issue because I keep getting told to remove it?

Told "Well those are violations too. And if I was a good member I would be reporting those members for violating forum rules."

3.) As a Supporting Member - you know, someone who PAYS GOOD MONEY to keep that place running one of your perks is you can have Two Sig Banners! Whee!

I pointed out that I was only using one banner. And it obviously takes up a lot less space than two. What's the problem?

No response.

4.) If this is such a huge problem why don't you just resize signature images, the same way you do with avatars. Make it the same for everyone.

No response.

5.) I asked for someone with technical expertise to review the rule, since a lot has changed in the computer world when that rule was created seven years ago. Why 400 x 65 pixels? Why does that even matter in 2016?

No response.

6.) Pointed out that if this rule was of such critical importance then enforce it across the board, as both these banners are beyond the stated rule maximum banner size:

9974739e5e33027c7244f0b4518d5a2d.jpg

499815b08b9a1e2225214435cca6d820.jpg

7.) Pointed out that the rule and it's enforcement seems to be arbitrary, as a lot of members have run-on text signatures that take up a lot more space than a 480 x 60 banner. Like - compare and contrast if you will - this one:

You can see there is a valid point to be questioned here if push is going to come to shove. And I'm getting really pushed. But - no response.

Oh - I did get a response. I was told to by clAsswife to quit being so bitchy, and they get to decide if a rule is violated or not. Even though in this case what keeps getting cited - repeatedly - are two hard, factual numbers: maximum banner size is 400 x 65 pixels.

I effing lost it at that point. I PM'd Oliver - cough, cough the owner formerly known as Smokey Joe - briefly explained the situation, and asked if I could include him in the conversation with clAsswife. He said "sure" - hadn't looked at signature issues in a long time.

No response.

Then someone - presumably clAsswife - actually removed the option from my account to have any signature.

Y'all do realize how asinine this looks? All this rules crap and enforcement and chasing down members one case at a time, by someone being a bitch, about this many excess pixels:

in - of all things - a quit smoking banner.

So if you are really into rules, rules being enforced in an arbitrary manner, and rules that apply to you but don't apply to the moderators who go all nazi-ass to enforce them, then ECF will just punch you right in your happy place. But if you can't take bullshit like this sooner or later you will have to move yourself on to maintain any sense of self respect. Or sanity.

This may go down as the longest rant, over the most asinine moderation issue, ever encountered on ECF. But hey - if you feel compelled to chase off members of 5 years good standing... this is the kind of crap certain people in charge at ECF can and will latch on to accomplish it.

I'm leaving ECF behind - because of this level of moderation douchebaggery - over a quit smoking banner.

Sorry - I told you with was going to be a tldr. But I just wanted to make it perfectly clear where the priorities lay over that at ECF. :headbang:
Holy shit, Rick....just read this, nothing short of BEYOND insane. God I hate that fucking place....:cuss2::gaah:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got the same yard of shit over there, about that banner. At the time, I was attempting to fit in, so even though I *thought* everything that he did, I gave in and changed the damn banner. But I guess I knew even then, some months before I finally left for good, that I wasn't going to put up with much more bullshit. There's just assholes everywhere, and stupid people too... too bad that ECF has such a lot of them in charge of things.

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got the same yard of shit over there, about that banner. At the time, I was attempting to fit in, so even though I *thought* everything that he did, I gave in and changed the damn banner. But I guess I knew even then, some months before I finally left for good, that I wasn't going to put up with much more bullshit. There's just assholes everywhere, and stupid people too... too bad that ECF has such a lot of them in charge of things.

Andria
I did too, now that I think about it.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
And somehow, somewhere, someone believes that level of nazimoderation makes the interwebs a better place. Let alone the amount of effort they feel compelled to put into such a matter. Over - of all things - a quit smoking banner. :crazy:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rick, I was arguing about the two logo size too, and it was with fatASSwife, as well.

This was like 2.5 years ago.....guess the dumb bitch doesn't have anything better to do in her basement.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I remember that place, was started by username Mr. Ecig & Papa Hoyt, both from ECF originally
weren't you over at nu vapor I seem to remmeber you being over there.....you said all we had to do was go over to ecf and mention the name whiskey to get ourselves banned,

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Welcome to the underground ... all over a banner? Life's to short for that kinda bullshit no wonder you left... o_O

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to the underground ... all over a banner? Life's to short for that kinda bullshit no wonder you left... o_O

That's how crazy it is over there. Or how crazy the two moderators now largely in charge are.

ECF really needs to get over itself.

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What really makes no sense to me, is that you have to be 18 or older to join there, yet you can't say a blessed curse word unless you count hell and damn. I felt like I was living with my mama again and I was 13 fucking years old. I want to be able to say big girl words on a 18+ yr old age limited forum... OH WAIT I CAN!!!!!

SHIT FUCK PISS :giggle::giggle::giggle::xD::xD::xD:

But seriously... they act like religious Nazis over there. :cry::cry: < ecf mods "Ohhh you said a wordy dirty waaahhhh! You can't talk like that here" :devil::devil::devil:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Way back when I found out that even private messaging was censored from, of all people, Elaine Keller of CASAA - she told me about it.

So I put George Carlin's Seven Words you Can't Say On Television into the body of a message, hit Preview Post, and saw how many asterisks I got:

piss
****sucker
mother******

You can still be piss(ed) if your PV gets busted. But don't you ever try to say that very same PV went tits up. :facepalm:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And if you complain, they say "well it has to be safe for work here"... got news for those MORONS, "moron" is perfectly safe to say at work (and most of the other words too, if you work someplace like my husband's plant)... but anyone who's surfing the web while at work will soon be looking for a new job, because most employers won't put up that kind of time-wasting shit.

I think what they actually mean is "it has to be safe for anal-retentive puritan assholes here".

Andria

VU Sponsors