Become a Patron!

Mech mod with 0.12 ohm

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Check out vape tool on Android app or steam-engine.org. calculators to help you.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
b3a9a16da8e46ee66b879bd9579982f5.jpg

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
You should definitely get familiar with Ohms Law and check out Mooches thoughts on the batteries you are using. Its hard to say if your setup is OK to use without more info. The more you learn about how all of the elements of vaping come together the better off you will be when you hit the cloud button.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should definitely get familiar with Ohms Law and check out Mooches thoughts on the batteries you are using. Its hard to say if your setup is OK to use without more info. The more you learn about how all of the elements of vaping come together the better off you will be when you hit the cloud button.
Honestly a lot better answer than I had. Was very much needed

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
It really depends on what your definition of "unsafe" is.

Mynamajeff

Member For 1 Year
It really depends on what your definition of "unsafe" is.
Basically is the risk of explosion high or low. From what I've gathered is that during venting pressure builds up inside the mod from the battery leaking and the mod itself "explodes," is that true? Because I have a squonker so pressure shouldn't build up due to the squonk window.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Basically is the risk of explosion high or low. From what I've gathered is that during venting pressure builds up inside the mod from the battery leaking and the mod itself "explodes," is that true? Because I have a squonker so pressure shouldn't build up due to the squonk window.

First, could you let me know what mod you have?

You have a single battery Squonker. it it a regulated or mechanical?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Unsafe is exploding. I have a squonk mod so pressure shouldn't build up in the mod. Mechanical single battery squonker
It's the battery that has the event. While a mod can cause a battery event, for mech it's most likely to be from improperly building for the battery.
Let them know the mod's name, and the battery brand/model and not what the wrap specs say because that could be false info.
Your definitely not ready to use a mech.

Last edited:

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Regardless of what mod you are using, being armed with the knowledge of how to minimize risks and build for safety is a best practice. Ohms Law and battery safety will get you out of diapers and give you a foundation on which to learn about this stuff. With all the bad press that vaping has been getting, I cannot recommend learning the basics enough. It isnt hard to do if you are willing to read some and you need to know it in order to control your vape.

If you dont know what you are doing at a minimum your vape is going to suck or not be as awesome as it can be. At its worse you could be the guy on TV who was killed by projectiles being implanted in his head due to explosions. There is a real vape treat in mechanical mods if you out in the effort and do the learning.

The folks around here are more than willing to help and guide you.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What is ohms law?
What causes a battery to vent?
Whats the difference between a mech mod and a regulated mod?
Why do you want a mech mod?

If you can't answer those very basic questions, then you are not ready for a mechanical mod.

Your original question cannot be answered unless we know what battery you are using and the condition it's in. I'll also add that even if you know what you're doing and did everything right, you still run the chance that the mod itself might malfunction or you might do something you didn't intend to do.

I've been using mechs for a couple years now and i recently had my first mistake. My mech was firing for about 10-15 minutes straight. Luckily it was only a 1.0 ohm coil paired with one of the highest amperage batteries, so it wasn't too bad. (Just burnt my fingers when I went to pick it up) If that happened with a 0.12 ohm coil, I might have had bigger problems.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The reason why it isn't recommended to go above the Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) of the battery is because there might be unknown factors at play that, in the possible event something goes wrong with the mod, introduce added potential risks that can be quite severe. There are no hard and fast numbers that either are safe or are unsafe to vape. But by learning the risks there are certain things that we can do to mitigate them as much as we can. That is, without interfering too much with how we want to vape. The CDR is a number that was picked because the combined data and the knowledge based upon the data acquired through rigorous testing suggest it is a reasonable number to start and recommend to new vapers. Unfortunately, the CDR number that is given to us by battery vendors and battery manufacturers (and especially, battery rewrap companies...) isn't always very accurate (and, in the specific case of many of the rewrap companies, can be so far exaggerated that you can start to wonder if what they're factually doing can still be considered ethical and respectful to consumers' general safety, as a lot of times they don't actually even say if the number that they specify is the CDR or some other number so they're not even saying what the number they give you is referring to). So basically, what that means is, without someone like Mooch, who is a very generous person because, among a million other reasons why, he shares his battery test results and battery knowledge treasure with the vaping community as a whole, right now we would be in some serious deep shit. And IMO that is putting it extremely mildly.

Mynamajeff

Member For 1 Year
What is ohms law?
What causes a battery to vent?
Whats the difference between a mech mod and a regulated mod?
Why do you want a mech mod?

1.ohms law is the correlation between voltage, amperage, wattage and resistance
2.a spike in temperature whoch causes a chain reaction and a rise in pressure
3.mech has no chip between the fire button, battery and atty controlling wattage and fire time
4. Cause I didn't have money for a regulated mod at the time but I will soon

Mynamajeff

Member For 1 Year
It's the battery that has the event. While a mod can cause a battery event, for mech it's most likely to be from improperly building for the battery.
Let them know the mod's name, and the battery brand/model and not what the wrap specs say because that could be false info.
Your definitely not ready to use a mech.
Coil father hades and LG HG2

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If YOU are doing it no it is not safe for YOU to use. put the mech away. Break out the regulated mod. And do some reading.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I do understand the financial aspect. Mods can be expensive. Hope I did not offend.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
3.mech has no chip between the fire button, battery and atty controlling wattage and fire time
eh, this is one of those things where your answers are right, but you would still get the question wrong on a test lol.

I was looking for...

1: Knowing your coil, the amount of amps it's going to pull and what battery you need for it.
2: Torn battery wraps, piece of metal somewhere causing a short, fire button being pressed too long, building above your batteries amp limit.
3: A regulated mod has safety features that protect you if one of the above happen.
4: I'll give ya credit on this one

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'll just add a few notions on top of what @Mykreign wrote.

1. The wattage isn't included in Ohm's law. On a mech mod, the wattage is the result of the atomizer/coil resistance in cohort with the combined loss from the voltage drop of the mod and the voltage sag of the battery that you select. We use Ohm's law to calculate battery safety, not to calculate power.
2. A rise in temperature causes a rise in pressure, which, if the pressure buildup exceeds a certain pressure level, it becomes the most common cause of battery venting. But this can happen even if there is no spike, and, there is no chain reaction, despite there usually is a chain of events, or a combination of factors acting together in such a way that the resulting set of circumstances pushes the risk of battery venting beyond a certain risk level that we can find acceptable.
3. That's the main difference between an unregulated mod and a mech. All mech mods are unregulated mods, but not all unregulated mods are mech.
4. OK

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Think he was trolling the whole time. If not why ask about that coil knowing what you know. Knowing it's over the amperage the battery can handle

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I wasn't, I thought there was more to it, and I wanted to ask more experienced vapers

You were good to reach out. A lot of people roll through regularly trying to make the vape equivalent of a pipe bomb. As a nearly full time mech user its pretty scary sometimes the questions people ask. Generally anything that contains "Is this safe?" is usually dangerous. Folks are twitchy about these kinds of questions.

Mynamajeff

Member For 1 Year
You were good to reach out. A lot of people roll through regularly trying to make the vape equivalent of a pipe bomb. As a nearly full time mech user its pretty scary sometimes the questions people ask. Generally anything that contains "Is this safe?" is usually dangerous. Folks are twitchy about these kinds of questions.
Thanks. I already put my current mod up for sale and I'm going for a minikin v2 with zeus dual or kylin v2.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I have a 0.12 ohm build in and the mod is single battery. Am I unsafe? Batteries are 20A
I am going to say no, for the simple reason that you should already know how "safe" a 0.12 ohm build is, how many watts and how many amps are being drawn from that 20A battery. You should also know the stress test results for the battery you are using. They vary. A 20A Sony cell will have a different result than some made in China rewrap by IMFire. (for example)

So once you find your stress test data there is also
battery wrap condition
coil build
atomizer pin
accidental firing from malfunction of fire button
what to do in case of any of the above

Next, although ample ventilation of the mod can reduce explosions, there is still a tremendous amount of heat and fire cause by thermal runaway. Think of putting a blow torch in your pocket.. it might not blow up, but it is still going to give you a nasty burn. Come to think of it... it would be exactly like putting a lit blow torch in your pocket.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe I really missed something somewhere, but I don't see mech mods (worth owning) as being less expensive than perfectly decent regulated mods.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Maybe I really missed something somewhere, but I don't see mech mods (worth owning) as being less expensive than perfectly decent regulated mods.

You are definitely missing something.

Mech mods are simple to use and will outlive any cheap regulated Chinese junk and can be dialed in for a very specific vape in the hands of a person who knows what they are doing.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Clone mechs - a crapshoot for sure, but they sometimes come operational - especially clone mech squonkers (Steam Rabbit clone, for example, $10 and functional)

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are definitely missing something.

Mech mods are simple to use and will outlive any cheap regulated Chinese junk and can be dialed in for a very specific vape in the hands of a person who knows what they are doing.
I was only thinking of initial purchase price. Sorry :)

Which Meg just mentioned clones, which I didn't think of either.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
I was only thinking of initial purchase price. Sorry :)

Which Meg just mentioned clones, which I didn't think of either.

No reason to apologize at all dude. Hope my statement didnt come off in any ill way.

Even if you spend a little more upfront for a good mod it will pay off in the end since it will outlive the next 6 regulated mods you buy.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

DOOMSDAY mod... as long as you follow the laws, will beat any regulated mod. Mod uses up to 4 batteries. 2 in series, 2 in parallel.. so potentially 7.4v and 60A. You can easily hit 400w+ and still be within limits. Using trusted brand name batteries of course.

Authentic DOOMSDAY runs $170.00 to about $220.00 Clone runs less than 30. Avoid the clone. Clone fire button is plastic that can melt.. Authentic uses Ultem (PEEK) for the fire button.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Somebody doesn't know ohms law or how series/parallel works. lol.

7.4V (3.7x2) at 60A (30A cdr x2)
comes to 444 Watts at 0.12 ohm
Within the cdr of 2 30A batteries in parallel.

*That is using 4 identical 30A , 3.7V cells in a series/parallel configuration(2s + 2p)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Somebody doesn't know ohms law or how series/parallel works. lol.

7.4V (3.7x2) at 60A (30A cdr x2)
comes to 444 Watts at 0.12 ohm
Within the cdr of 2 30A batteries in parallel.

*That is using 4 identical 30A , 3.7V cells in a series/parallel configuration(2s + 2p)

Its not a particularly sage recommendation for this thread. A para series mech mod is like saying "Hey, that AK 47 you have in your mouth is not dangerous enough, here is a bazooka. It is more better"

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DOOMSDAY mod... as long as you follow the laws, will beat any regulated mod. Mod uses up to 4 batteries. 2 in series, 2 in parallel.. so potentially 7.4v and 60A. You can easily hit 400w+ and still be within limits. Using trusted brand name batteries of course.

Authentic DOOMSDAY runs $170.00 to about $220.00 Clone runs less than 30. Avoid the clone. Clone fire button is plastic that can melt.. Authentic uses Ultem (PEEK) for the fire button.
Somebody had mentioned money being a potential issue for this fella (a thing with which I am more familiar than i wish).

I was only making the observation that good mechs aren't less expensive than regulated devices.

It appears I need to slow down and read more carefully before I post sometimes :)

VU Sponsors