Kayfun V4 clone - Worth it?

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Infinite is oily smelling too. They assemble these with the oil in them and there are a lot of o-rings to become permeated with the vapors. Heat and juice will free them. Fats like Olive oil and Butter are a great way to break down the lubes. I save those for the most serious cases.

KFL Bell caps will fit it but the threaded portion of the chimney is inside the top o-ring. Not a very good idea, IMO.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
ok cool - looks like we are in the same boat.. touch base after another few soaks :)

OK so I was not able to get the base broken down at all. So I boiled some water and let all the parts soak for about 10 minutes. I had already bought some 91% isopropyl alcohol because I had previously used 50%. Put the base in a swished it around for about 5 minutes. Then put the rest of the parts in and let them soak overnight. Took them out this morning and rinsed and brushed them. Only a very slight smell of oil in the base now. Put it together and decided to use a strong juice. Hoping that would help deaden the taste. So far so good. No machine oil taste at all. The only bad part is for some reason my JC was jammed and would not open all the way. Took some major fiddling but finally got it to work. Dunno how or what I did but it worked.

I did see a post on the other forum that brings to light a good point. They are shipping these things assembled with the oil residue still on them. And it is having time to soak into the o-rings on the slow boat from China. I may eventually just replace all of the o-rings with one of the kits that they sell.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OK so I was not able to get the base broken down at all. So I boiled some water and let all the parts soak for about 10 minutes. I had already bought some 91% isopropyl alcohol because I had previously used 50%. Put the base in a swished it around for about 5 minutes. Then put the rest of the parts in and let them soak overnight. Took them out this morning and rinsed and brushed them. Only a very slight smell of oil in the base now. Put it together and decided to use a strong juice. Hoping that would help deaden the taste. So far so good. No machine oil taste at all. The only bad part is for some reason my JC was jammed and would not open all the way. Took some major fiddling but finally got it to work. Dunno how or what I did but it worked.

I did see a post on the other forum that brings to light a good point. They are shipping these things assembled with the oil residue still on them. And it is having time to soak into the o-rings on the slow boat from China. I may eventually just replace all of the o-rings with one of the kits that they sell.

Interesting.. thanks for the update.. I'm probably going to give it a few good soaks this weekend before I attempt to use it again.. I thought the juice I was using just wasn't steeped enough but then I used my dripper and then I put 2 and 2 together lol..

It will take you an entire weekend just to replace all the orings in that thing :)

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I put mine in a beaker or jar with high test isopropyl and then placed that in water in the ultrasonic. No odd taste. Note, at least on the Tobeco, do NOT place the PC M-tank in there. Either the alcohol, the vibrations or the combo will trash it.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I put mine in a plastic beaker or jar with high test isopropyl and then placed that in water in the ultrasonic. No odd taste. Note, at least on the Tobeco, do NOT place the PC M-tank in there. Either the alcohol, the vibrations or the combo will trash it.

LOL yeah I left my poly tanks out of the cleaning process. No need they should even be exposed to any machine oil. All of the Kv4's seem to be shipping with the metal tank installed.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i havent gone below 0.8 either, so i think its just not a good insulator. other than that everything is great. using springless pin trick also working nicely

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Infinite Kv4 has been reviewed. Pretty good review. Looks like the Infinite might be the one to beat. I like the way they include the bell cap and an extra spring. Of course Infinite is known for including goodies. Their KFL+ v2 came with the Nano kit for less than the EHPro version cost.

I will admit I am a little worried because the Infinite comes in the same Svoemesto knock-off box as some of the other lesser quality clones.

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Actually, the Infinite knock off box is better quality than the other clones' knock off boxes. LOL...I'm serious.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Actually, the Infinite knock off box is better quality than the other clones' knock off boxes. LOL...I'm serious.

So the others use a knock off of a knock off??? LOL

You liking the Infinite??? Comparable to that review???

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's nice. I have another that is of unknown origin that is about as nice. I have another that is fraught with problems. I'm holding judgement till I see a 316L model later this week. I personally think that 316L is a lot of hype but I try to be fair. The o-rings in the Infinite haven't failed like many of the others have. Must be some weird German o-ring out there someplace that is ideal for #16, the place where most have the problems.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I finally built it up after soaking it a few more times - 28g 1.2 and this thing is vaping pretty nice .. The flavor is as good or better than my kfl and its producing good vapor.. I will prob snag an infinite clone too just to have as a backup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The o-rings in the Infinite haven't failed like many of the others have. Must be some weird German o-ring out there someplace that is ideal for #16, the place where most have the problems.

Yeah, 2 weeks in on the Black Tobeco and i started having leaks from the air holes today. Switched out the #16 with a spare o-ring i had laying around and it seems to have stopped for now. latest issue worked around.

You know, i do like the new V4 when it works and it's certainly a marginally upgraded vaping experience from previous Kayfuns (imo). I also ultimately don't regret buying it for the $23 shipped that i paid. But in all honesty and my final answer evaluation on whether or not it's worth it...i'd rate it a "no". At least not if you are going into buying one with a mindset that extends beyond viewing this device as anything more then a short term hobby toy that will probably be collecting dust a month or 2 from now when you buy the something better that surely comes along shortly (or already have and decide you like better).

Which granted can pretty much apply to everything in vaping nowadays, but should ring especially true with this device imo. Just too many moving parts and potential need for error maintenance to really be worth the hassle once that shiny "new toy" appeal passes. Especially as it reaches backup status, where speaking for myself...grab-and-go convenience still rules the day. Leaving the house with even a small doubt that something may go wrong just doesn't cut it when i'm still having to carry that bottle of juice around because this Kayfun burns through juice almost as fast as some of my drippers lol.

I mean, what's the real hassle with the tiny blue screw driver in my wallet at that point lol

Last edited:

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, 2 weeks in on the Black Tobeco and i started having leaks from the air holes today. Switched out the #16 with a spare o-ring i had laying around and it seems to have stopped for now. latest issue worked around.

You know, i do like the new V4 when it works and it's certainly a marginally upgraded vaping experience from previous Kayfuns (imo). I also ultimately don't regret buying it for the $23 shipped that i paid. But in all honesty and my final answer evaluation on whether or not it's worth it...i'd rate it a "no". At least not if you are going into buying one with a mindset that extends beyond viewing this device as anything more then a short term hobby toy that will probably be collecting dust a month or 2 from now when you buy the something better that surely comes along shortly (or already have and decide you like better).

Which granted can pretty much apply to everything in vaping nowadays, but should ring especially true with this device imo. Just too many moving parts and potential need for error maintenance to really be worth the hassle once that shiny "new toy" appeal passes. Especially as it reaches backup status, where speaking for myself...grab-and-go convenience still rules the day. Leaving the house with even a small doubt that something may go wrong just doesn't cut it when i'm still having to carry that bottle of juice around because this Kayfun burns through juice almost as fast as some of my drippers lol.

I mean, what's the real hassle with the tiny blue screw driver in my wallet at that point lol
another reason i wont pay more than 30-40 for a tank. these arent prized possessions to me, they serve their purpose and start collecting dust when a new tank worth getting comes out (usually). for me its a yes for that reason, the vape is good, price is low, good features that work well, and it just does it's job

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After the Billow and SubTank, I don't really care if they make something that performs better. I couldn't handle better. LOL

I'm having issues with my Tobeco K4. I fill the tank up, and after I take a few hits off of it, the tank is drained. It's leaking into the base of the K4, but not leaking out at all. Any ideas why?

Desire

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Desire

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm having issues with my Tobeco K4. I fill the tank up, and after I take a few hits off of it, the tank is drained. It's leaking into the base of the K4, but not leaking out at all. Any ideas why?
fiber wick & cotton wick, which do you use? if you use cotton wick,pls try to add more cotton to the liquid hole to make the
pressure balance(and set lower liquid flow with the Liquid Control. you could refer the manual)

350ZMO

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Picked up a made in USA 1:1 clone in black with 4S kit off ebay.

V4and4S.jpg

v4box.jpg

4S on left.
4S.jpg

Gave her a good "shining"
clean.jpg

30 gauge 7turns .31ohm on Sallys', used the original air stem as the coil mandrel.
puff.jpg

Vape was too warm had to cool her down.
v4.jpg

Looks and feels like excellent quality. Can sustain 18W without TP kicking in - set to 410F. Every once in a while, especially if it sits too long, I have to loosen the 510 drip tip adapter to let the vacuum equalize or she won't sustain 18W.

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have never heard of a Made in the USA clone. How about a little more info.

350ZMO

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What would you like to know?

350ZMO

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The 4s kit air flow stem has a pretty good restriction to it if JC locked all the way open. A simple dremel cut off wheel making some slots really opens it up.

Original stem on left, original 4S in middle, modified 4S on right.
4smod.jpg

Desire

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The 4s kit air flow stem has a pretty good restriction to it if JC locked all the way open. A simple dremel cut off wheel making some slots really opens it up.

Original stem on left, original 4S in middle, modified 4S on right.
View attachment 13533
4S works well?

350ZMO

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After the mod I made yes. Flowing good and ohms stable. But something isn't right I've looked at other pics of the 4S and they all have the larger holes on the sides where mine were tiny. Regardless, I modded mine and now she flows good.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok I have a new round of issues with my EHPro Kv4.

-Gurgling/flooding/seeping after filling even with the corrected top cap.
-Leaking from the 510 pin

This thing is becoming more high maintenance than it is worth.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My Tobeco was the first tank I've had that leaked out the air holes and dry hit at the same time. I purchased some 11X1.5 o-rings from oringsandmore on ebay and the difference from the ones that came with it was obvious as soon as I seated the deck. You could feel some resistance when opening the flow. No more leaking. Finally got the wicking right for the heavy VG juices I've been using of late and it's been issue free, thankfully, since.

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You figured out what 99 percent of the people having problems with this atty need to cope with, Lefty.

russ81072

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My Tobeco was the first tank I've had that leaked out the air holes and dry hit at the same time. I purchased some 11X1.5 o-rings from oringsandmore on ebay and the difference from the ones that came with it was obvious as soon as I seated the deck. You could feel some resistance when opening the flow. No more leaking. Finally got the wicking right for the heavy VG juices I've been using of late and it's been issue free, thankfully, since.
I have the same problem and i too ordered new orings for the deck. That seems to be the problem with alot of the clones is the orings they use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yup - I'm dealing with leaking issues out of the airholes too.. so replacing the orings on the deck fixes this?

russ81072

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yup - I'm dealing with leaking issues out of the airholes too.. so replacing the orings on the deck fixes this?
Not sure, mine is leaking under the deck. When you turn to move up or down, the juice is getting under there and seeping out of the holes on the side. The oring #16 on the picture of the exploded kayfun is the culprit for mine. I ordered an authentic oring kit from vaperev.com for 13.00. My clone came with the orange orings, i think those are crappy orings. I will report back when i get my kit and let you know. Another member had the juice holes drilled all the way through the deck. Most people have been replacing the #16 oring and that seemed to fix it. We shall see.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There have been quite a few reports of replacing #16 - the one that goes around the squarish base of the deck - with a higher quality (more accurately sized) 11X1.5 solving it. It worked for me and two others I gave rings to. I also know someone who successfully stopped the leaking by pouring boiling water in a cup then dropping the o-ring in and letting it soak for a while. Might be chancy with Chinese rings IDK. He was happy to take the backups I gave him.:)

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There have been quite a few reports of replacing #16 - the one that goes around the squarish base of the deck - with a higher quality (more accurately sized) 11X1.5 solving it. It worked for me and two others I gave rings to. I also know someone who successfully stopped the leaking by pouring boiling water in a cup then dropping the o-ring in and letting it soak for a while. Might be chancy with Chinese rings IDK. He was happy to take the backups I gave him.:)

good to know.. where did you pick up your replacement orings? I'll have to pick some up.. i mean how hard is it to get some decently made orings.. for christ sake China.. lol

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
good to know.. where did you pick up your replacement orings? I'll have to pick some up.. i mean how hard is it to get some decently made orings.. for christ sake China.. lol
If there's a decent hardware store in your area you might find them locally. I tend to keep o-rings on hand (drawer full in the vape chest) so I usually buy 'em by the pack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200746558779

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If there's a decent hardware store in your area you might find them locally. I tend to keep o-rings on hand (drawer full in the vape chest) so I usually buy 'em by the pack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200746558779

Yea i have a bunch saved, but I don't think any of them are this specific size - thanks for the heads up! I'll check home depot later this week.. Sadly I haven't even used my v4 since it started leaking.. I took it all apart again and cleaned it because i wanted to switch juices but this subtank has been my goto since I got it..

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
thats crazy you all are having leaking problems. i havent had a drop leak out

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
btw if you havent seen this in the orchid modification thread check it out -

IMG_0413.jpg

orchid base fits inside the kayfun v4 chimney, and i gotta say this is my favorite setup. i always liked kayfuns because of the sturdy feel and just the style of them in general. this gives me dual coils and sufficient airflow while keeping the kayfun feel. im using a v3 base but they all should fit

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

FWIW, i'm of the strong conclusion that throwing the stock orings in when i gave my Tobeco it's boil clean bath (after a flawless initial use) is what started my trouble to begin with. Took me replacing both my #16 and #18 before i got over both the airhole and deck leaking issues after that.

Friend just had his replacement #16 fail again today. If regular replacement of the #16 from constant refilling wear and tear is going to be a factor going forward, that's a fairly big design flaw in my book. Even if it's only once a month or whatever, that one time it gives at work as i'm starting my 8 hour shift (like it did for him this morning. poor bastard) will suck. If that orchid modification potentially solves that i'll certainly be giving it a try.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
FWIW, i'm of the strong conclusion that throwing the stock orings in when i gave my Tobeco it's boil clean bath (after a flawless initial use) is what started my trouble to begin with. Took me replacing both my #16 and #18 before i got over both the airhole and deck leaking issues after that.

Friend just had his replacement #16 fail again today. If regular replacement of the #16 from constant refilling wear and tear is going to be a factor going forward, that's a fairly big design flaw in my book. Even if it's only once a month or whatever, that one time it gives at work as i'm starting my 8 hour shift (like it did for him this morning. poor bastard) will suck. If that orchid modification potentially solves that i'll certainly be giving it a try.
AFAIK he didn't have it in place and stretched when he did it. Nor did he actually boil it, the boiling had ceased by the time it was dropped in loose. Mine leaked right off the bat. So far so good on the replacement. If not well I did get a 50 pack.

350ZMO

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For those that use the JC at full open and full closed only, you can lose the spring:

If you remove the spring and fully open the JC and get a closed circuit IE reading the resistance of your coil then no mod necessary just remove the spring. However if you get an open circuit, a simple mod will allow you to get rid of the spring. Take a 3mm ID washer, use a pair of vice grips to hold the washer and file off 4 sides to match the square nut #11 in the 510 bottom #3. Place the filed washer under the nut. A 2.5mm washer may fit without filing. I don't know all I had was 2 and 3mm and 2mm was too small for the center post screw #1. This will raise the nut ever so slightly so at full open JC, the nut #11 makes solid contact with the air stem center post #14.

It defeats the purpose of JC between open and closed but other than full open to vape and full close to fill, I found it useless anyways.

washer.jpg

russ81072

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got my kit from vaperev.com, they have the authentic replacement orings. www.vaperev.com.

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I 100% agree. A design flaw that may or may not be fixed with future versions. This thing should have been put through a stress test before being released.

As I said before this thing is too high maintenance as is. Do this. Fix that. Replace this. Modify that. If it was a vape that blew my socks off it might be worth a little work. But IMO it is only very slightly better than the KFL. Only big thing it has going for it is the top fill and full tank removable deck.

Tap'd from my LG G3

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I 100% agree. A design flaw that may or may not be fixed with future versions. This thing should have been put through a stress test before being released.

As I said before this thing is too high maintenance as is. Do this. Fix that. Replace this. Modify that. If it was a vape that blew my socks off it might be worth a little work. But IMO it is only very slightly better than the KFL. Only big thing it has going for it is the top fill and full tank removable deck.

Tap'd from my LG G3

with how quick these were released I'm not really surprised.. this is what happens when a 25$ rushed clone gets mass produced..

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i rebuilt and refilled mine - I had some leaking but it looks like it was due to overfilling even though I stopped around a half-inch below the top cap line.. not really sure wtf it's problem is.. but its working fine now - no leaking so far today

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It does vape better than my authentic KFLs and Russians. Can hardly stand to use them now. They are too much trouble to operate too. The KF4 doesn't need drilling out, or a 70 plus dollar conversion to top fill and glass tanks that don't dump at a bump. The only thing that I have had to do to three of them is replace one o-ring in two of them. One other, additionally, had a loose screw in the positive post and the glass that came with it was too small. Both of those issues have been resolved.

By all means, stick with the KFL if it is working for you. It's difficult to go back once you've used a KF4. Ignorance is bliss.

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By all means, stick with the KFL if it is working for you. It's difficult to go back once you've used a KF4. Ignorance is bliss.

Going back to your KFL because one does not desire to play a daily game of "is today the day my #16 o-ring starts leaking (again)? Better make sure i have a spare and some extra juice on hand" is hardly a form of ignorance.

The v4 is quality vape, but let's keep the "i rushed out and bought 3 of them!" fanboy'ism in check here a sec. If you had one of the better/latter KFL clones of the authentic, which by your comment i'm guessing you didn't...it's not some mind blowing difference or anything. At the the core it's still the same generally familiar Kayfun style of vape, just with a touch better flavor/airflow and having traded the inconvenience of having to bottom fill with a much higher rate of juice consumption. Plus the potential need to concern yourself with the everyday wear and tear of one particular o-ring, of course.

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the record though, i'd find it difficult to go back to my KFL as well. But that boils down more to an ever-evolving preference to have increased airflow in my devices. You know, pretty much the staple improvement in every v2 tank these days.

I mean a year ago i was using the second hole set on my Aspire Nautilus thinking that was both airy and perfect. A year latter and 2 months into vaping a Mutation X v2...my preferences have changed.

Hartoled

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I actually took my time and bought 4 of them...all different. A single o-ring each, from a $1.60 pack of 50 solved all of my leak problems. The rest is butter. I was not calling anyone ignorant. The saying was not meant as an insult. It's another way of saying that "What you don't know won't hurt you.", or "He doesn't know what he's missing.", or "Once you go black, you'll never go back!". Sheesh

I have Big Buddha, Billow, EHPro Dual air, EHPro enlarged air, and all kinds of other Kayfun descendents. None of which prevented me from enjoying a KF4.

Why do people want to argue with you all day telling you why you are not enjoying something, or that you are somehow lesser for it? At least I tried to encourage people to keep on enjoying their KFLs.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors