Become a Patron!

Jimi's Daily Health Articles

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sugar Treats are Mood Downers

At one time or another -- hopefully now in the past -- you probably gorged on a candy bar, stuffed yourself with ice cream, or downed a fizzy drink to give yourself a pick-me-up and boost your mood.

This sugar rush, so scientists tell us, is caused by a surge of the feel-good brain chemical called serotonin. No wonder sugar gives us a lift.

But does it really?

A new study suggests the sugar rush is a fiction. Far from raising our spirits, we become fatigued, less alert and feel worse. . .

Not Even a Short-Term Mood Lift

A whole slew of studies purports to show that carbs reduce fatigue, boost energy, give us a clear head and improve mood, but a group of psychologists still had their doubts.

They looked over the research but concluded that it wasn't reliable, so they dug deeper and collected data from the most well-conducted studies they could find.

In total, 31 studies, with 1,259 healthy adult participants, met their high standards.

The psychology group from the Universities of Warwick and Lancaster in the UK and Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, took many variables into account.

For instance, they considered how long the volunteers fasted before loading with sugar, the type and amount of sugar they ate, the form it came in, and whether engaging in demanding mental and physical activities made any difference.

They also looked at a number of emotional states: calmness, tension, confusion, alertness, anger, vigor, fatigue, depression, connectedness.

Finally, they divided the results into three time periods after sugar consumption: up to half an hour, 31 minutes to an hour and beyond an hour.

The scientists found that carbohydrates (CHOs) do not have a beneficial effect on any aspect of mood at any point in time. In fact, carbs lower alertness within an hour and increase fatigue within 30 minutes.

A Myth is Debunked

They wrote, "These findings challenge the idea that CHOs can improve mood, and might be used to increase the public's awareness that the 'sugar rush' is a myth..."

The study didn't look into the sugar-serotonin connection, but questioned the existence of a mood-boosting mechanism related to carbs.

According to Dr. Konstantinos Mantantzis, who led the research, "The idea that sugar can improve mood has been widely influential in popular culture, so much so that people all over the world consume sugary drinks to become more alert or combat fatigue.

"Our findings very clearly indicate that such claims are not substantiated – if anything, sugar will probably make you feel worse."

So if sugar won't give us a lift, what will?

A Simple Way to Energize Yourself

There's always that old standby, coffee. Besides making you more alert, it’s now linked to a range of health benefits, so this beverage is a win-win.

Another choice is simply to go for a walk.

Psychologists from Iowa State University, in a series of experiments, found that walking -- whether indoors or outdoors, in pleasant or drab surroundings, on your own or with friends -- raises your spirits.

Dr. Jeff Miller, the study’s lead researcher, said walking, rather than sitting or standing, “will almost certainly result in increased feelings of pleasant energy. And that’s true whether you expect this to occur or not.

“If you are feeling disengaged or sluggish, and you desire to energize yourself, take a brisk walk. Your feelings of engagement will very likely increase, and all those things you might have wanted to be doing should seem less imposing.”

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Whatever Happened to Loving Patient Care?
Whatever happened to loving patient care? When I was a med student and later an intern (they call it “houseman” or “house officer” in the UK), we didn’t have a fraction of the fancy-nancy technical and chemical treatments available that exist today.

To some, this is “progress” and I’m not against new developments. But it seems to me that the simple things have been lost in the haze and confusion. The patient has now become almost a supernumerary! He or she is “in the way” of important work to be done. There are tubes, pills, enemas, trolleys, endless x-rays and endless staring at the MRI scan screens to be carried out.

We haven’t time for the damned patient and his or her fads!

Certainly there is little or no time to see he or she is comfortable, less fearful, assured and calm.

Images like these are more often than not just advertizing puff, rather than real
More drugs, more science, more labs, more tests, is the cry. It’s a kind of techno frenzy. Everything is made worse by the fact there is little time, in truth, to spend with each patient. In the doctor’s office, time is often down to a few minutes. Sometimes a VERY few minutes…

Certainly no time for good old-fashioned TLC. The patient doesn’t need TLC, the doctors and nurses think: he/she needs such and such a drug or such and such procedure. Just talking to the patient is a waste of time. It’s the first thing to go out the window.

Why bother? Only the “treatment” is going to fix him or her.

Well, that shows a laudable—but highly misguided—reliance on what they consider to be the “correct” treatment, or at least the generally-agreed treatment. It’s got to the stage where doctors don’t even LISTEN to the patient. “What does he or she know?” That’s very arrogant and, again, foolish. The patient is the source of all knowledge, whether it’s something he or she describes, or a test carried out on the patient’s body.

I don’t think doctors think of the patient as the center of action any more. Their labs and THEIR ideas and opinions are what really count. The patient is just a name and a case number.

Rude and Revolting
It has reached the point where doctors are verbally abusive to their patients. I have to say this is, regretfully, largely a phenomenon in the USA, where every doctor is in a rush to grab as many dollars as possible, before the lights go out!

Patients can be so difficult! They want your time, they want answers, they want to “discuss” their case, for Gawd’s sake! Who puts them up to these jumped up ideas? Those damned chiros and osteopaths, no doubt.

[Don’t write to me! I’m making up dialogue to illustrate my point!]

I have countless reports of patients being shouted at when they express reservations about suggested treatment. This becomes particularly acute when discussing cancer treatments. The business model is to corral the patient, heighten their fear, create urgency and demand a quick commitment.

They don’t like hesitation. It gives the patient time to think things through! Maybe he or she might even change their mind, or refuse to become a cash cow… Ooops, sorry, a quiet obedient chemo patient.

Getting engaged, talking things through answering questions, being reassuring instead of demanding and threatening, cuts completely across this business model.

Consider this report I received from a nice lady called Susann:

In 2016, after the death of my daughter and best friend, events caught up with me and I had a "cardiac event" sending me to the Heart Hospital. I was thrown into Western Medicine after 30 years of choosing alternative and holistic health care.

My almost 2 years was searching for a cardiologist to assist me in keeping an eye on things - I fired 5 before I found one that would "co-create" a healing plan with me and allow me to work with Holistic 1st. I knew he couldn't "advise" me and that was okay - I was my own "advisor" - I just needed him to know. I wasn't there to ask his permission - just make him aware of what I was doing and why.

I had not 1, but 2 physicians literally get in my face and SCREAM at me because I refused statins - I had already done my due diligence and researched statins. One cardiologist (when I attempted to talk to him about alternative methods that I had read up on) not only dismissed me but said and I quote (you don't forget things like this) - "WHEN YOU GET ANOTHER HEART ATTACK - AND YOU WILL! DO NOT COME CRYING TO ME!"

mail

Yet another literally got up from her chair and into my face and screamed - (yes - screamed.) YOU'RE GOING TO DIE! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME? YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!! Not once, not twice but 3 TIMES upon which I just got up and walked out. I ended up with an anxiety attack from her verbal battering and yes, I did report her.

One cardiologist told me when I shared with her the side effects of a Beta Blocker & ACE Inhibitor she had me on - I couldn't even take a shower without getting out of breath - walking to the car a short distance to my office door had me stopping twice to catch my breath - I researched the meds - "side effects include" - she said to me "No it ISN'T the medication - "I have a patient on this that plays tennis every week and he's FINE!" –

Really? Dismissed - again - that was Cardiologist #5. By the way, I stopped the med and regained my capacity to walk and breathe without feeling as if I was going to pass out from extensive wheezing.

Well I found one who was kind enough to listen - allowed me to follow my own healing path and a subsequent follow up catheterization and echo showed - not only could he NOT find any issues - he had to look at the notes of the "event" to see where the damage was on that fateful day - he couldn't. So he said he was "there for me" but whatever it was I was doing - keep it up.

I went on KETO, have done Intermittent Fasting and Extended Fasting (Autophagy) and did a lot of emotional work because healing truly is a "Mind, Body, Spirit" process - and within a few months of being "allowed" to follow my own path with extensive research - all my labs came back within normal range. I am still working on some other issues as a result of all this - but the drugs they put me on after this event did more harm than good.

So, Dr. Keith, today I follow physicians like you who are trained in the "Western" medical model but who have taken it a step further into a more Holistic approach. I keep files handy to refer to them when something pops up and I SO appreciate those who are braving the status quo and I do see it as bravery because I know what Big Pharma and the AMA does to those who "don't toe the line."

Just wanted to share my appreciation for your choice in helping people.

Susann.

I wonder how many of you have had experiences with orthodox doctors as extreme as this?

Not many, I hope. Feel free to write if you want.

Blessings,

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Need to Conquer Cancer?
Send in the Stem Cells

Stem cell therapies in general are the most exciting thing going on right now in health science, and research is just getting started.

The stem cell phenomenon has moved way beyond those days ten or fifteen years ago when people thought the cells had to be obtained from aborted babies. Forget about that, those days are long gone.

Now the stem cells come from the patient’s own body, or that of a donor, or from the placenta harvested in the course of live births. Baby is not harmed in the course of recycling the placenta, and the new arrival is giving a gift to the rest of us that may conquer a vast array of medical problems.

My research group has been delving into stem cells for a couple of years now, but even I was surprised to learn they’ve been used to treat certain blood cancers like leukemia for years. And the results are nothing short of miraculous.

When it comes to treating cancer, conventional medicine is often like the proverbial bull in the china shop. Oncologists stomp through the body with treatments that employ brute force to attack cancer cells – surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy, known to non-admiring folks like me as cut, burn and poison.

A big problem with these techniques: They kill normal cells, not just cancerous ones.

However, for some cancers, the dreadful, widespread damage opens up an avenue for a different kind of treatment. Some conventional docs transplant stem cells from bone marrow after chemotherapy and radiation have destroyed the patient’s original ones.

And that transplantation can help treat cancer and improve the odds that it won’t come back.

New cells saved this patient

Consider the case of Heidi Schweizer, who was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma (a blood cancer that starts in the lymph system) in 1996. At the time, she didn’t want to have conventional therapy for her cancer.

Back then, her doctors told her that without treatment she could expect to live for about five to seven years.

So, in an effort to stay away from the therapies her doctor was offering, she tried other measures. She had a biological dentist remove the toxic mercury amalgams from her teeth. She changed her diet. She used massage and mind-body work.

But then in 2000 she decided to have what’s called CHOP therapy – a combination of chemotherapy drugs consisting of

• Cyclophosphamide – slows the growth of cancer cells.
  • Doxorubicin hydrochloride – interferes with protein synthesis in cancer cells
  • Vincristine sulfate (also called Oncovin) – keeps tumor cells from successfully multiplying.
  • Prednisone – reduces inflammation.
Still, when this approach did not produce sufficient results, Heidi went to Duke University to have a bone marrow transplant – a therapy that uses stem cells – to treat cancer.

In this type of treatment, chemo is used to both attack the cancer and eliminate the bone marrow stem cells from the body. Soon after the chemo, the implantation of bone marrow stem cells is done by transfusion, similar to a blood transfusion.

In a matter of days, the newly acquired stem cells are supposed to migrate into the recipient’s bone marrow where, if all goes well, they accumulate, grow and form a new source of healthy blood cells and immune cells. (This process is known as engraftment.)

To start with, after chemo, Heidi received what is called an autologous bone marrow transplant – she got stem cells that had been taken from her own body and stored before the treatment. However, this treatment didn’t produce a healthy set of bone marrow stem cells that could produce immune cells to deal with the cancer.

So her next step was to receive stem cells from her brother – what’s called an allogeneic transplant. In this case, her brother’s cells had been found to be of a tissue type that closely matched her own cells.

One result of her bone marrow transplant was that her blood type changed – It went from being O positive to matching her brother’s blood type, A negative.

As Heidi found, there’s often a significant benefit to using somebody else’s stem cells to replenish the bone marrow cells you lost during chemo and radiation rather than using your own. The cancer might have flourished in the first place because the immune cells created from your own bone marrow were not effective at fighting it off.

But someone else’s stem cells, it has been found, can often create immune cells that are not handicapped in that way. They produce a new immune response that may be able to help eliminate the cancer.

As they did for Heidi. She’s still in remission.

Hope for a better way

Of course, it would be great if bone marrow transplants could be performed without having to subject people to the awful effects of chemo and radiation. The process of donating bone marrow is also painful for the donor. You pretty much need a close relative who loves you very much!

But an easier way to transplant might become a reality. A discovery by researchers at Stanford gives hope for a way to use bone marrow transplants that don’t require “poisoning and burning” to kill off your own bone marrow stem cells first, and fewer cells would be needed from the donor.

This discovery grows out of the realization that the stem cells in the bone marrow – which create all of the body’s immune cells and blood cells – may be replaced without necessarily wiping out the cells already in place. The key seems to be transplanting so many new bone marrow stem cells that, by sheer overwhelming numbers, they eliminate the original cells and take over their functions.

In the past, though, it’s been impossible to harvest and transplant enough stem cells from a donor to make this work. And efforts at growing large amounts of these types of stem cells in the lab have not succeeded either.

But during the lab tests at Stanford, which so far have only been performed on lab animals, researchers found that by adding a certain ingredient to the nutritive broth used to nourish stem cells, they can stimulate them to reproduce in sizable numbers in a few weeks.1

“For 50 years researchers from laboratories around the world have been seeking ways to grow these cells to large numbers,” says researcher Hiromitsu Nakauchi. “Now we’ve identified a set of conditions that allow these cells to expand in number as much as 900-fold in just one month.”

According to Dr. Nakauchi, getting rid of an often-contaminated blood protein called serum albumin in the nutritive broth was part of the secret to boosting stem cell production. The other element was adding a better substitute – a substance called polyvinyl alcohol.

Polyvinyl alcohol is a compound often used for biochemical research. It is inexpensive and is also used as an ingredient in glue that is sold at supermarkets. By adding it to the mix, Dr. Nakauchi’s team only needed 50 stem cells from a donor to generate enough cells, after a month of growth, to have plenty for a transplant.

“These 50 original cells increased in number about 8,000-fold over 28 days,” says Dr. Nakauchi. “Of these, about one of every 35 cells remained a functional hematopoietic stem cell.”

The Stanford researchers now need to see if this same technique can work with people.

Post-procedure, patient has to work
to keep her bones healthy

There are some risks to keep in mind if you or someone you know wants to try a bone marrow transplant. According to researchers at the University of British Colombia in Canada, cancer survivors who have received this therapy are at a greater eventual risk of bone loss and osteoporosis.2

They warn that this risk necessitates a bone-healthy lifestyle. The transplant recipient should do weight-bearing exercise that strengthens bones as well as not smoking and avoiding alcohol.

Eating a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables is also important. And, if you’ve had a transplant, before you change your diet or exercise habits, you should consult with a knowledgeable health practitioner for guidance.

I don’t know if or when scientists may develop other types of stem cell treatments for other types of cancer. I do know that so much is happening so fast in stem cell science, there is reason for hope.

Heidi Schweizer made a smart move to keep herself alive as long as possible with safe, natural therapies until science came along and found a total cure (or what sure looks like one so far, for her).

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Deep-Breathe Your Way to Ideal Health
Imagine climbing into something that looks like a tanning bed. You feel a noticeable increase in air pressure, and then you just lie there and breathe for a while as your body heals in radical ways…

It sounds almost too simple, yet it’s a treatment that’s making headlines across the world for helping people overcome a variety of illnesses, cancer included. What’s more, it’s often covered by insurance.

I wish it were easier for people to get – it’s still “exotic” to mainstream doctors – but with a little determination you may be able to access it without leaving your home town, and in the last resort there are home units that are pretty affordable.

Life’s most essential ingredient

The official name for this like-a-dream treatment is hyperbaric oxygen therapy, or HBOT. The word hyperbaric literally means high pressure. The therapy involves breathing 100% oxygen while inside a chamber in which the air pressure is significantly higher than you experience in the open air.

The first roots of hyperbaric oxygen therapy date back as far as 1662, but it wasn’t till 1917 that German inventors Bernhard and Heinrich Dräger applied pressurized oxygen to successfully treat decompression sickness – also called the bends -- a hazard of scuba diving that happens when divers ascend to the surface too quickly.

In the United States, HBOT is the standard, accepted treatment for the bends, and that’s why many hospitals have an HBOT chamber.

In a hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber, the air pressure gets increased to three times higher than normal. This makes it possible for your lungs to suck in more oxygen than they can under normal air pressure conditions.

Breathing pure oxygen during the treatment means you increase the partial pressure of oxygen in the tissues of your body to a much higher level than normal. The high pressure “pushes” oxygen into places it normally wouldn’t go, at least not in large amounts.

The increased atmospheric pressure ups the amount of oxygen in your blood plasma, which makes it more available to your tissues than the regular delivery of oxygen through hemoglobin (found in your red blood cells but not the surrounding fluid).

With high levels of oxygen in your blood, your body is better equipped to handle just about everything. Benefits include fighting off bacteria, stimulating growth factors and stem cells to support healing, and restoring normal levels of blood gases.

And scientists are still discovering more benefits. Given that every cell in your body requires oxygen to survive, it’s a lot like giving your cells an inhalable power boost.

When too much O2 is a terrific thing

What we know right now is that HBOT helps treat an impressive variety of medical conditions, from basic ailments like allergies to ravaging diseases like cancer.

I first learned of HBOT as a treatment for stroke. Disabled stroke victims who go through a series of HBOT treatments often regain lost function, ranging from speech to paralyzed arms and legs, and more. The results can be incredible.

Unfortunately, mainstream medicine has dug in its heels against HBOT for stroke victims, and if you’re in a care facility (as many paralyzed stroke victims are), the treatment is next to impossible to get. I also have to note that I don’t know if the improvements are permanent; the patient probably has to stay on HBOT for the long term.

During a normal inhalation of air, oxygen goes into your lungs and gets carried into your blood. From there, it feeds cells throughout your body. Cancer cells need oxygen to survive just like any other cell – that’s one of the reasons tumors make new vessels to tap your body’s blood supply (this is angiogenesis). If a tumor grows quickly, it can outgrow its oxygen supply. Yet that doesn’t always stop it from growing. In fact, some cancers thrive when they get starved of oxygen (this is hypoxia).

The theory behind hyperbaric oxygen treatment for cancer has to do with the challenge encountered when tumors are hypoxic and thrive as a result of low oxygen. Ideally, flooding those cancers with oxygen has the opposite effect. And so far, evidence suggests the treatment is effective.

In a review published in Targeted Oncology, researchers first sought to prove that HBOT would not contribute to tumor growth when the tumors were undergoing angiogenesis (i.e. forming new blood vessels to feed the tumors). That would be a bad outcome.

The researchers found no evidence indicating that HBOT stimulates tumor growth or increases the likelihood of cancer recurring.

On the other hand, there is evidence that HBOT might inhibit tumors in certain cancer subtypes. In one study, researchers combined HBOT with the ketogenic diet (one of my favorite cancer therapies) to treat mice afflicted with systemic metastatic cancer.

The keto diet was used to decrease blood sugar and thereby slow cancer progression. Having weakened the cancer with the eating plan, the researchers then used HBOT to saturate the tumors with oxygen, which reversed the cancer-promoting effects of tumor hypoxia (lack of oxygen). The combination of the two produced a significant decrease in blood glucose, tumor growth rate, and – here’s the headline -- a 77.9% increase in average survival time.

That’s a spectacular result for late-stage cancer.

In a different study, published recently in Medical Gas Research, HBOT was tested as a treatment for prostate cancer. The researchers cited several studies of lab-cultured cells in which HBOT decreased the rate of growth for cancer and increased sensitivity to anticancer agents. They also found that HBOT has considerable effects on carcinoma, especially when it comes to decreasing complications and improving survival statistics.

The same researchers noted that HBOT is effective when a high concentration of oxygen is focused on a few cancer cells, but when it’s administered to a local area of the body or to the whole body, the treatment can’t achieve the concentration of oxygen needed to inhibit tumor cell growth in the prostate.

Their solution is to combine HBOT with an ultrasound-guided transrectal prostate puncture that gets placed around the tumor mass, and to send the hyperbaric oxygen through the probe. This creates a hyperbaric oxygen environment around the tumor mass, achieving a therapeutic effect. They hope to expand this study in human trials.

Besides helping treat cancer directly, additional research points to HBOT as a useful tool to help cancer patients heal from damaging treatments like radiation therapy.

What HBOT is like, and where to get it

HBOT can be delivered in one of three types of chamber. There’s the high-pressure chamber, which can hold multiple people at once, seated, and is pressurized with 100% oxygen. This is the most common chamber in hospitals and commercial HBOT facilities.

A monoplace chamber, on the other hand, houses one patient at a time, lying down (this is the one that can look like a tanning bed).

There are also low-pressure monoplace treatments in which several people sit within a pressurized chamber and breathe pure oxygen via fastened masks, hoods, or endotracheal tubes.

During hyperbaric oxygen therapy, you’ll feel a temporary fullness in your ears – very much like you might feel if you drive in the mountains. Yawning or swallowing helps relieve this.

Other than that, there’s little risk. Rarely, someone might have temporary nearsightedness (myopia) because of a temporary eye lens change, or a middle ear injury because of the increase in air pressure. But for the most part people report feeling only tired or hungry afterwards.

You can buy your own HBOT chamber for around $5,000… but a better option might be to talk to your provider to see if you can get access to a multi-person chamber in your community.

In the meantime, take five minutes a day to breathe deeply, slowly, and mindfully. It’s not the same as a full HBOT treatment, but it is a way of giving your body more healing oxygen than you’re likely to get with normal breathing.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One article, two posts

The Strange, Little-Known Danger
That’s in ALL Water

Most people have never heard of deuterium – and have no clue that it’s a health demon.

It’s probably not on your radar – even if you religiously try to avoid toxins and rid yourself of the ones you’ve got. And I’ve never heard a word about it from the dozens of doctors we’ve interviewed.

I first learned of it from a scientist named Que Collins, Ph.D., speaking last September at a conference on alternative cancer treatments. Other pioneers in the study of deuterium include neurosurgeon Dr. Jack Kruse, Dr. Laszlo Boros, and Dr. Anne Cooper.

If these scientists are right (fair warning: I don’t know if they are), you’d be wise to take steps to rid your body of the stuff.

The real risk is not in deuterium’s existence… but rather in its tendency to build up in your body. It alters many processes in a negative way.

It’s not a stretch to say that deuterium is a prime suspect behind the so-called diseases of aging, including cancer and metabolic diseases. High deuterium levels may trigger unhealthy growth patterns that are linked to obesity and cancer.

Keep reading to get the details. .

This secret is CLINICALLY PROVEN to make you look and feel 27 years younger than you are right now... and you don't need to be rich, famous, or powerful to make it work for you. Click here for the details.

What is deuterium?

Deuterium is a rare form of hydrogen – which sounds innocent enough. Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe. But deuterium is actually the evil twin of “regular” hydrogen.

Hydrogen is number one in the periodic chart of the elements because it contains one proton, and the defining characteristic of an element is the number of protons it has. Calcium, for example, has 20 protons, making it number 20 in the chart.

Deuterium is the form of hydrogen that carries a neutron in addition to its proton, making it twice the atomic weight of regular hydrogen, which has only a proton.

A neutron carries no charge but is as massive as a proton, which means deuterium has an atomic weight of “2,” as compared to “1” for regular hydrogen. Deuterium is known as “heavy hydrogen.”

Both regular and heavy hydrogen occur naturally. Anywhere hydrogen exists in a chemical compound (such as water), deuterium can substitute
for it.

You may remember that the formula for water is H2O – two molecules of hydrogen and one of oxygen. If a water molecule happens to be made of deuterium instead of regular hydrogen it’s dubbed “heavy water” or “dirty water.”

It looks and tastes like regular water. But it’s not. It has higher boiling and freezing points. Ice made with heavy water sinks instead of floating on the surface. Heavy water is familiar to physicists and history buffs because it figured in the development of the atom bomb during WW II.

Ordinary water contains a few molecules of heavy water --only about 155 deuterium atoms per million hydrogen atoms. That doesn’t sound particularly high, but it’s enough to sabotage your internal chemistry.

Fun fact: heavy water is called D20 instead of H2O. There also exist hybrid molecules of water that contain one deuterium (“D”) and one “regular” hydrogen atom (“H”). Those are called HDO. It’s all water. You wouldn’t be able to tell one from another.

Deuterium triggers metabolic chaos

For over half a century, scientists have known that cancer is primarily a metabolic disorder.

Your tiny mitochondria are little machines that “frantically” spin at 6,000-9,000 rpm to supply your body’s massive energy needs.

When D enters your mitochondria, its weight literally breaks the nanomotors in your mitochondria that you need to produce ATP – the fuel that keeps you going. Broken nanomotors mean less energy and big trouble for your body.

High D levels (over 130 ppm) make your mitochondria sluggish – and put your whole body at risk. That’s in part why chronic fatigue is a symptom of cancer.

Your strands of DNA are held together by hydrogen. When D accumulates in your body, cells start to use it instead of regular hydrogen. Remember, D can slip in just about anywhere H would normally be.

The accumulation of D alters your DNA’s shape, which then hinders signaling and triggers mutations. Once that happens, don’t expect to get off scot-free. D buildup can trigger numerous diseases all by itself.

The wrong kind of growth

Growth can be good – in plants, children, and young animals.

But in adults? Not so much. Growing outward leads to obesity, and growth in the wrong places can mean cancer. Most people know that cancer feeds on sugar and carbs. But what they don’t realize is that it’s not the carbs themselves, but the D in the carbs.

Normal cells become cancer cells when the energy-producing mitochondrial motors are destroyed and the body starts to use D in its fueling processes.

It spirals out of control even further… as internal reactions slow massively -- by six to ten times.

That slowdown wreaks more havoc:

• Enzyme reactions slow
  • Neurotransmitters drag
  • Cellular division and repair slows
  • Liver metabolism becomes sluggish
In your body, timing is crucial. So a severe slowdown is a recipe for disaster, according to the advocates of this whole theory.

How does deuterium (D) get into your body?

It enters your body using normal pathways – through food, drink, and air.

Your ability to excrete D decreases with age, illness, poor breathing, and lack of quality sleep. The more D you collect, the faster you age. Foods and beverages may be low in D, or high. Choosing low-D options means choosing life, as they equip your body to fight disease and aging.

Deuterium depletion is the art of actively and purposefully lowering your D levels by making wise food, water and lifestyle choices.

Which foods are low in D? The following are known as deuterium-depleted foods (DDF).

• Grass-fed meat
  • Wild-caught fish
  • Free-range poultry
  • Non-GMO vegetables
In a nutshell, a ketogenic, organic, grass-fed diet.

By contrast, the following foods are high in D. Consume at your own peril.

• Farm-raised and grain-fed meat, fish, and poultry
  • GMO vegetables
  • Processed, packaged foods (chips, cookies, etc.)
  • Fruits, starchy vegetables, rice, and grains
  • Sugary drinks and snacks
You can also deplete D by fasting, getting high-quality sleep, breathing well, exercising, and drinking deuterium-depleted water (DDW).

But wait just a moment…

Before you start down the road of D depletion, it’s smart to know your starting point by testing your D levels.

The simplest test is called the D-TERMINATOR test. It requires breathing plus saliva or urine sample.1 Ideally, your levels should be below 130 ppm.

Does drinking DDW improve cancer survival?

Although this is a newer therapy with limited study to date, those studies do appear promising. Here’s what we know so far.

Deuterium-depleted water delays tumor progression in mice, dogs, cats, and people.

One striking discovery was just how sensitive cancer cells are to D depletion – causing tumor regression and even tumor necrosis.

Studies show deuterium-depleted water improves outcomes for human prostate, breast, and colon cancer, as well as leukemia and melanoma.2,3

In a prostate cancer study, adding DDW to conventional treatments increased survival rates.4 It also substantially increased lifespan for breast cancer patients.5

It’s effective against non-small-cell lung cancer, as well as small-cell lung cancer. And was even used successfully in a case of advanced stage lung cancer.6 It significantly improved patients’ five-year survival rates when used against metastatic small-cell lung cancer.7

Unlike cancer cells, healthy cells easily adapt to lower levels of D.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Post Two of the article (The Strange, Little-Known Danger
That’s in ALL Water)

Take note: This theory also has its detractors

As I mentioned at the beginning, this theory has few followers and you can find plenty of disagreement.

For example, Russian biochemist Mikhail Shchepinov advocates adding more deuterium to your system by purposely drinking heavy water.

In one study, small quantities of heavy water seemed to increase fruit flies’ longevity by 30%, though it wasn’t clear whether that was the result of calorie restriction or the heavy water. And because it was just one study, its advocates seem to have backed off from promoting it.

You also can’t generalize from fruit flies to humans. Much, much more study is needed.

Still, you’ll find Shchepinov’s ideas on the Internet… Though it appears the evidence in favor of DDW seems to outweigh the evidence against it, especially given its studied benefits for cancer patients. But you’ll have to decide for yourself.

DDW for wellness, or for therapy

Some people choose D depletion to enhance wellness – for better cognition, more energy, peak athletic performance, and boosted metabolism.

For fighting disease, depletion therapy is incredibly safe and complements conventional care. Rest assured, this is no new experimental drug with unknown and scary side effects. It’s a way to remove unhealthy junk from your body… like removing dirty oil from your car.

You can deplete D without deuterium-depleted water. But DDW can be especially useful if:

• You need to lower D levels fast
  • You continue to eat foods high in D
  • You’re sick – handicapped in your pursuit of lower D levels
Technically, any water that contains less than 155 ppm deuterium is considered depleted. For maximum impact, choose DDW with under 125 ppm.

Reportedly, Aquafina tests at 139.5 ppm. It’s not therapeutic grade, but sure beats 155.

Two credible DDW brands available in the United States are Preventa and Qlarivia. Preventa is available at various ppm levels, Qlarivia contains a very low 25 ppm. Experts advise that you don’t drink DDW at levels below 85 ppm unless you’re terminally ill or can’t achieve optimal levels by any other means. They can be mixed with Aquafina to achieve the dose you want.

To deplete your levels of deuterium, drink 1 to 1.5 liters or more of DDW per day, and limit or avoid other beverages.

You can purchase the D test, Preventa DDW, and personal consultations at ddcenters.com.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One article two posts again

Almost Everyone has Forgotten
This Essential Mineral

Are you following the advice of medical authorities by working up a sweat, avoiding dairy foods, and keeping the salt shaker at arms-length?

Exercising is generally good advice, avoiding salt is generally not such good advice, and avoiding milk products we could debate all night – but what we do know is all three of these common health tips come with a downside.

They can promote iodine deficiency -- a factor that could increase the risk of several forms of cancer. In fact, lack of iodine is one of the most common causes of cancer. . .

Intake down half since the 1970s

The thyroid gland regulates many body processes including protein synthesis and metabolic activity, and it directly affects many facets of the immune system. It does so by secreting hormones that depend on iodine.

Most people know that an iodine deficiency causes goiter, an enlargement of the thyroid gland. If you are a senior like me, you probably know this. When we were children, the health authorities made a point of seeing to it that people got enough iodine.

Most table salt was iodized, starting around 1924. And the mineral was even baked into bread.

There was a reason for this. When I was a toddler I remember seeing a woman on the street who suffered from goiter. She had a bulge the size of a baseball hanging from her neck, where the thyroid gland is located (at least it seemed that big to me at the time.)

Lesser iodine deficiencies can give rise to fatigue, nervousness, irritability, weight gain, slow physical and mental reactions, cold hands and feet, headache, dry and thickened skin, hair loss, learning and memory problems, low resistance to disease, irregular and excessive menstruation and diminished interest in sex.

Why we no longer get enough iodine

Thanks to the introduction of iodized foods, I’m probably among the last people who can remember ever seeing a goiter. But these days, a lot of people don’t use iodized salt anymore, and iodine is no longer baked into bread.

I’d venture to say most people depend on whatever iodine occurs naturally in their food, and that’s a mistake.

Levels of iodine in the diet depend on the amount in the soil. The Great Lakes, Appalachians, and Northwestern regions of the U.S are called the "goiter belt" because the soil has a hundred times less iodine compared to soil-rich areas. Iodine-rich soil is almost always located near the ocean, which contains high iodine levels.

Seafood is another source of iodine, but Americans are not great fans of seafood. Shrimp is maybe the only seafood the average American eats with any kind of frequency. A three-ounce serving is said to contain around one-fourth of the recommended daily amount (RDA) – and the RDA is not nearly enough, in the opinion of many alternative cancer doctors.

Renowned clinical investigator, endocrinologist, and epidemiologist Professor Elizabeth Pearce from Boston University has made significant contributions to the science of iodine nutrition.

In 2015 she wrote that iodine deficiency, even in a wealthy country like the US, is "not entirely surprising" because intake has halved since the 1970s.

This has occurred, she contends, because concerns about high blood pressure have reduced salt consumption, consumers prefer to buy non-iodized salt, and the vast majority of salt that Americans do ingest comes from typically non-iodized processed foods.

Certain groups most at risk

The current major source of iodine is dairy food. Iodine is supplemented to cattle to prevent deficiencies in the animals and it’s also used to sanitize dairy equipment and udders.

Vegans and others who avoid milk and dairy products are most at risk of deficiency, as are pregnant and lactating women, for whom the adult RDA of 150 mcg rises to 220 mcg and 290 mcg respectively.

Wheat used to provide a quarter of our iodine intake because the trace mineral was used in the processing of flour. But now, as the American physician and author Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, explains:

"...a lot of flour in the US is processed with a chemical cousin of iodine, bromide (potassium bromate), which helps makes flour doughier, rise higher, and gives the loaf a better appearance. But bromide...not only has replaced iodine, it may block the activity of iodine."

While exercise is essential to good health, endocrinologists from University College Dublin, Ireland, informed us that "those participating in vigorous exercise can lose a considerable amount of iodine in sweat, depending on environmental factors such as temperature and humidity."

These are not the only factors that can reduce your iodine levels. There are others. I’ll tell you more in a moment, but right now the point is that iodine deficiency should be high on your list of health concerns because a healthy iodine level has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer.

It does so through antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, proapoptotic (induces cancer cell death) and pro-differentiating (promotes normal cellular function) actions and more.

Suppresses breast tumor growth

As far back as the 1960s iodine was shown to be vitally important to the health of the breast, the only organ apart from the thyroid that stores iodine.

A number of studies since then have demonstrated that patients with fibrocystic breast disease respond well to iodine in reducing both pain and fibrosis.

Deficiency is also believed to play a causative role in the development of breast cancer.

FDA epidemiologist B.V. Stadel, writing in the Lancet in 1976, found that geographical regions with low intake of iodine had higher rates of breast cancer.

Seaweed – a popular dish in Japan -- is a rich source of iodine and may help account for the low rate of breast cancer in that country. It seems something in the Japanese diet prevents breast cancer, because the risk of this disease increases in Japanese women who emigrate and adopt a Western diet.

In animal models of breast cancer, researchers from Mexico concluded that iodine "has a potent anti-neoplastic [tumor-growth-suppressing] effect on the progression of mammary cancer." They proposed that iodine supplements should be used together with conventional treatments in breast cancer therapy.

The supplements come in various forms. I get mine from a kelp supplement manufactured by Nature’s Way. Kelp is a seaweed, as I assume most readers know. It’s best to get minerals from food and I’m wary of so-called “free” minerals that aren’t bonded to a large food molecule.

But I have to note that for breast tissue protection or treatment, molecular iodine (I2) has proved best in the studies we have. This form combines potassium iodide (KI) with either free/elemental iodine or potassium iodate (KIO3).

In 2017, scientists at BioPharmX, a specialty pharmaceutical company, presented findings at the American Association for Cancer Research annual meeting.

They showed that molecular iodine was potent in its ability to prevent tumor growth and promote tumor cell death on two types of breast cancer cell lines without harming normal breast cells.

Lee Shulman, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern University in Chicago, who was not involved with the research, said, "The possibility that a known, non-toxic, and non-chemotherapeutic molecule may have a differential regulating effect on breast cancer cells versus normal breast cells is very exciting."

I have to take exception to the “non-toxic” adjective in this, because iodine is toxic in very large amounts, and that makes supplementing with it tricky. I don’t want to be alarming – people can tolerate MUCH larger amounts of iodine than the RDA. Very few people indeed have to worry about overdoing it. But there is a limit.

In the BioPharmX study, iodine upregulated proteins called PPARs and RXR, thereby inhibiting cancer cell proliferation. Iodine also increased BCL-2 and Caspase 3, proteins that induce apoptosis.

Other studies suggest iodine impedes growth of blood supply to mammary tumors and inhibits and modulates estrogen pathways that induce cancer growth.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Part Two of (Almost everyone has forgotten this essential mineral)

Protects against stomach cancer

Like the thyroid gland and breast tissue, parts of the digestive tract, particularly the stomach, have high levels of iodine. The mineral's antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and pro-differentiating activities help protect against stomach cancer.

For almost a century gastric cancer has been linked to goiter. Oncologists in Turkey compared 61 patients with gastric cancer to 55 healthy control subjects. Almost half the cancer patients had goiter compared to one in five of the controls.

Virtually identical results were obtained by Iranian researchers who found 49% of 100 stomach cancer patients had severe iodine deficiency compared to 19.1% of 84 healthy adults.

In other words, it sure looks like iodine deficiency causes stomach cancer.

The Turkish biochemists, of course, didn’t have enough evidence to make such a big leap. They found gastric cancer tissue had lower amounts of iodine than surrounding healthy tissue. They concluded from this that "iodine plays an important role in gastric cancer development."

After the iodization of salt in Poland in 1996 due to high goiter prevalence, the incidence of stomach cancer, which had been sizable, started to fall. Polish endocrinologists believe improved uptakes of iodine and lower rates of this form of cancer are very likely linked.

The prostate also needs iodine

There is good evidence that the prostate readily takes up iodine and needs it for the overall health of the gland.

In a study of men with benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH), supplementing with iodine increased urine flow and reduced PSA levels over a period of eight months.

Population studies also suggest a link between high iodine intake and low risk of prostate cancer, with one study of the American population showing a 29% lower risk in men consuming the highest versus the lowest amounts.

Prostate cancer is four times lower in Japan than in the US. We don’t have enough evidence to say for sure, but the higher iodine intake may be an important factor.

Environmental toxins reduce uptake

Women of child-bearing age and their children are especially at risk of iodine deficiency. A review of iodine intake published earlier this year by researchers at the College of Health Sciences, Texas Woman’s University, concluded that lack of iodine was "a public health concern needing immediate attention."

In their view, "The current iodine intake guidelines are the minimum for disease prevention [mainly goiter], but not necessarily whole-body health. It is still unknown how much iodine is necessary for iodine sufficiency beyond prevention of goiter."

They described many factors that act as goitrogens – i.e., that interfere with iodine uptake by the thyroid.

These include chlorine and fluorine in the water supply [once again showing that fluoridated water is a terrible idea], cruciferous vegetables and lima beans, oral contraceptives, amiodarone (a drug that treats irregular heartbeats) and the environmental toxins BPA and perchlorate, common in plastic bottles, which find their way into the food and water supply.

Deficiencies of nutrients such as vitamin A, selenium, iron, and zinc also adversely affect iodine metabolism. [NOTE: Few people need to supplement with iron. It’s always best to get a blood test to see what nutrients you need, rather than guessing.]

Recommended Intake

While the value of iodine has been largely forgotten today, in 1957 Nobel laureate Albert Szent-Gyorgi, the physician who discovered vitamin C, wrote, "When I was a medical student, iodine in the form of KI was the universal medicine. Nobody knew what it did, but it did something, and did something good."

The usual dose given was one gram containing 770 mg of iodine. By today's standards that dose is off the charts.

Ditto for a research project involving 4000 patients taking 12.5 to 50 mg a day (83 to 333 times the RDA) over seven years. Positive results were seen, with well under one person in a hundred experiencing adverse reactions. But these doses are extraordinarily high. We’ve interviewed dozens of alternative cancer doctors over the last 15 years and not one was employing iodine at these levels.

For healthy people (not cancer patients, who were the subjects in the study above), you should know that the Japanese consume an estimated 1000 to 3000 mcg a day and have a much lower cancer rate and longer life expectancy than Americans who consume 190 to 300 mcg. There are a million micrograms in a gram, just to give you an idea of how high the doses are in the previous paragraph.

On current evidence, adults should be looking to go well beyond the RDA to reach the Food and Nutrition Board's Tolerable Upper Limit of 1,100 mcg per day.

This will require adding seaweed (kelp, nori, kombu, wakame) to the diet or taking iodine in supplement form.

VU Sponsors