Interesting new article about effects of vaping

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
But Professor Peter Openshaw, professor of experimental medicine at Imperial College London, said: ‘The evidence that vaping might increase the risk of lung infection is only indirect. Although vaping might increase susceptibility to pneumonia, the effect is likely to be lower than from smoking itself.

‘This study should not be used as a reason to continue to smoke rather than vape. The evidence is that e-cigarettes are far less harmful.’

It comes days after health officials suggested pregnant women who smoke should be encouraged to use e-cigarettes. Public Health England said patients should also be allowed to vape in hospital.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
But Professor Peter Openshaw, professor of experimental medicine at Imperial College London, said: ‘The evidence that vaping might increase the risk of lung infection is only indirect. Although vaping might increase susceptibility to pneumonia, the effect is likely to be lower than from smoking itself.

‘This study should not be used as a reason to continue to smoke rather than vape. The evidence is that e-cigarettes are far less harmful.’

It comes days after health officials suggested pregnant women who smoke should be encouraged to use e-cigarettes. Public Health England said patients should also be allowed to vape in hospital.

Thank you for the summary. :)

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for the summary. :)
Man I'm still alive after almost 5 years..... With a pack or even a pack and a half of Newport Cigarettes per day, I would of kicked the bucket by now......

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Man I'm still alive after almost 5 years..... With a pack or even a pack and a half of Newport Cigarettes per day, I would of kicked the bucket by now......

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I hear you, sugar. Likely I would have hacked up the other lung if I kept going. Used to get the most awful just yucky tar gunk that I needed to hack out every year. Tell you what, .... what. :) It was no joking matter to feel I could have just dropped when I got a fit like that.

It's now been about three months since I had even a 'sneaked' single cigarette. Last one I had I could not enjoy. It tasted all sick and the next morning I paid for it. Got all congested and wheezy. Could not have enjoyed oral sex with a lady, or man for nothing. Figure I am full well done with cigarettes.

Now, to attempt getting myself back to decent shape. Looked it up yesterday evening, I need to lose 123 pounds. That will get me down to 165 pounds, which is the average suggested weight zone I 'ought to' be in. Yes, I think, no, I know I need to get there and will. Get there and know a lot of the pain in my joints will lessen or stop. I know too a lot of my putting on so much excess is my lacking self discipline.

Well I've quit smoking, there's that I've done. :)

Going to cut way back on empty carbs, soda, sugar & try to get started with some basic stretching and gradual exercise. Do have a treadmill here in the apartment. Suggested notion is I take a 30 45 minute walk daily. Bah! Back to drilling like boot camp. *smh* Aw well, got to be done.

Last edited:

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
SO the article goes on to say you're still at risk like smokers to develop pneumonia as it allows bacteria to stick better to your cells but it also goes on to say its far less harmful. I would be interested to know if the juice they used was full VG or a mix because PG has antibacterial properties

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5365489/Vaping-makes-users-likely-catch-pneumonia.html

Please don't quote the worst rag we've got in the UK. You'd be lucky to find any truth in their articles, unless it suits their agenda. Did they also mention this? https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe-publishes-independent-expert-e-cigarettes-evidence-review (It's an update/confirmation to the 2015 research carried out by Public Health England, which assessed that vaping is 95% safer than smoking.)

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear you, sugar. Likely I would have hacked up the other lung if I kept going. Used to get the most awful just yucky tar gunk that I needed to hack out every year. Tell you what, .... what. :) It was no joking matter to feel I could have just dropped when I got a fit like that.

It's now been about three months since I had even a 'sneaked' single cigarette. Last one I had I could not enjoy. It tasted all sick and the next morning I paid for it. Got all congested and wheezy. Could not have enjoyed oral sex with a lady, or man for nothing. Figure I am full well done with cigarettes.

Now, to attempt getting myself back to decent shape. Looked it up yesterday evening, I need to lose 123 pounds. That will get me down to 165 pounds, which is the average suggested weight zone I 'ought to' be in. Yes, I think, no, I know I need to get there and will. Get there and know a lot of the pain in my joints will lessen or stop. I know too a lot of my putting on so much excess is my lacking self discipline.

Well I've quit smoking, there's that I've done. :)

Going to cut way back on empty carbs, soda, sugar & try to get started with some basic stretching and gradual exercise. Do have a treadmill here in the apartment. Suggested notion is I take a 30 45 minute walk daily. Bah! Back to drilling like boot camp. *smh* Aw well, got to be done.
Yeah a change of life It's always good.... From eating healthier to cutting back on Carbs..... I haven't had pasta or rice in over a year. Now a shake in the morning.... A banana here and Some dried fruit there.... at night a ground Cauliflower dough pizza with vegetables..... It's basically eating to see if we make it to retirement..... Ha

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
...It's basically eating to see if we make it to retirement..... Ha

I think I will cry now. Lucky you, you get a retirement. Hehe. I got mine taken away by my wife. She told me it was bad enough I'd eaten my papers & I'd need to be especially good or she would even take my birthday away. ;) :) Besides, I don't want to re-tire, I mean hey I'm tired as it is why do it all again? Yeah, it's going to be something to get myself back into discipline mode. That wheedle boy inside is fussing about her making up all her pastas, breads, cakes and various other nom nom sundry. I'm already lowering what meats I eat, very little red meat, moderate on the white.

Got to be done though. Then also got a notion what might be a sideline small business. Recalled one of the older ladies in my step-dad's family used to do up rag rugs. Took me a minute to look it up, read a HowTo. At least be a bit of a hobby for me and a little mad money for vaping maybe.

Well :hug: Y'all be safe.

kirr45

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's good to hear you guys are doing much better. Just a question. Are you getting sick as much as you were with cigarettes or less?

VU Sponsors