Become a Patron!

I finally made my first perfect Clapton wire! Ideas of where to go from here?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been working on making high-quality Clapton wire for some time now, and, as of today, I have it down. Yay!

Does anybody have any suggestion of types of coils I could try to make from here on?

Thanks!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been working on making high-quality Clapton wire for some time now, and, as of today, I have it down. Yay!

Does anybody have any suggestion of types of coils I could try to make from here on?

Thanks!
Come on EMusic -- where are the pics?? You gotta show that off man!!!

Next step -- Fused Clapton. Same thing with two core wires side-by-side.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the suggestion! :) I actually did a fused earlier tonight. I'll see if my iPhone can get a good pic of it!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the suggestion! :) I actually did a fused earlier tonight. I'll see if my iPhone can get a good pic of it!
Ok ... throw a twist in it ... literally.

Twist up three strands of 26g or 28g wire, don't twist it until breaks out of the drill. Only due about a 1.5mm twist on it, and THEN Clapton that. Do a 6" strand or two.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok ... throw a twist in it ... literally.

Twist up three strands of 26g or 28g wire, don't twist it until breaks out of the drill. Only due about a 1.5mm twist on it, and THEN Clapton that. Do a 6" strand or two.
Awesome suggestion! I'll give that a go.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Which iPhone do you have? The metadata on the image is no longer there after uploading the image, so I couldn't tell.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not bad ... not bad at all.
What are the specs on that?
24g core with 32g wrap ?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
iPhone says it is version 10.2.1. Beyond that I don't know what kind of iPhone it is TBH.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The wrap is very nicely done, very tight. The light reflection on the groves looked like 32g but I wasn't really sure.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Last edited:

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Twisted-fused will give it that lightning bolt look. Triple-fused are maybe the best combo of easy and tasty. Triple-fused staggered claptons look good. Of course, there's always the alien.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you save the image and zoom in you should be able to see more detail.

IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Twisted-fused will give it that lightning bolt look. Triple-fused are maybe the best combo of easy and tasty. Triple-fused staggered claptons look good. Of course, there's always the alien.
Thanks, gakudzu. What does "staggered" mean? How does it look?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Much clearer image ---

Ok, now I can "comment" on it better. :giggle:

If that is 38g wrap, tighten it up a bit. They need to be touching. I'm not saying what you did is bad, so don't take it that way. It's still damn good.

Here is a pic of a 26g core with a 36g wrap as a comparison.
IMG_20170321_000337806 (Large).jpg

This is a standard Staggered Fuses Clapton.
Two core wires, with spaced clapton wrap, then set side-by-side, and wrapped in the gaps.
IMG_20170304_015748846 (Large).jpg

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Here is a fused clapton (2 core wires, with 36g wrap)
IMG_20170217_223412393 (Large).jpg

Keep in mind, working with 36g wrap wire is going to be easier to work with vs. 38g wrap wire. It will be "easier" to perfect with 36g and then move up to 38g. However, if you perfect with 38g at first, 36g will feel like childs play.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good job

Fused are my favorite, they're simple to make to the point of easier than single core Claptons and the flavor of Fused are it.

I started to venture into the Staggered Fused Clapton's now, made my first one last night. I start my weekend now so I'm planning on playing with them a bit.

Good headwork on smaller gauge, I'm not a fan of 32g wrapping wire. It just has too much of a ramp up time and it retains the heat, my go to is 36g and 38g.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just bought a macro lens for my cell phone, waiting for it to come in... can't wait for it.
This weekend i'm going to build a light box so hopefully I can start getting better pics and lighting.
The light in my office sucks tonight so that pic with the blue paper towel background sucks... sorry about that.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good job

Fused are my favorite, they're simple to make to the point of easier than single core Claptons and the flavor of Fused are it.

I started to venture into the Staggered Fused Clapton's now, made my first one last night. I start my weekend now so I'm planning on playing with them a bit.

Good headwork on smaller gauge, I'm not a fan of 32g wrapping wire. It just has too much of a ramp up time and it retains the heat, my go to is 36g and 38g.
Thanks, r055co! The only wire I have right now is 26ga and 38ga, so that's what I'm working with. Tomorrow I'll be spending a lot of time on building wire/coils, so I'll see everybody then. Good night!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I really can't tell a difference working with 36 or 38. Probably because I'm blind as fuck and going mostly by feel, lol.
What twisted my knickers was switching from 26g kanthol to 28g ss for cores. Twisty lil springy bastids they be. Took some gettin' used to.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Simple Clapton I made today. I couldn't get the wraps any tighter than they are. Zoom in for detail!

IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0559.JPG

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe it's just me, but when I zoom in I can see more then a wires gap between the wrapping. Just a reminder, your not going for tightness in the core wire, but tightness as in spacing of the wrap wire. When holding the spool, the wire should fall right next to the wrapping that was just applied, tight up against it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe it's just me, but when I zoom in I can see more then a wires gap between the wrapping. Just a reminder, your not going for tightness in the core wire, but tightness as in spacing of the wrap wire. When holding the spool, the wire should fall right next to the wrapping that was just applied, tight up against it.

I just twisted up three strands. I'll try to get the wrap closer together this time.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Goto 3:25 and watch how he is holding his spool to clapton that wire. This is where I was able to start getting better wrap tightness on my wrapping. As soon as I started holding my spool away from the core wire (about 4-6"), the wrapping wire would just "fall into place" against the other wire being wrapped.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm at work currently, but I can tonight when I get home.
I wouldn't say it's a perfect setup, there is a lot that I want to do to it. I also do DIY mixing on the same bench, so it's kinda setup for both coil building, diy mixing, and atty (RTA,RDA) prep / wicking.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm at work currently, but I can tonight when I get home.
I wouldn't say it's a perfect setup, there is a lot that I want to do to it. I also do DIY mixing on the same bench, so it's kinda setup for both coil building, diy mixing, and atty (RTA,RDA) prep / wicking.
Great! Looking forward to it.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I installed my Fused Clapton (the one from the beginning of this thread) into my Twisted Messes Squared on my Alien and the vape is amazing! 5 wraps 3.0mm ID 0.280 ohms at 110 watts. Super smooth and flavorful and never a dry hit or burnt taste. Sweet! :xD:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Very nice. Now you can see why I was nitpicking on the wrap spacing. As you coil it, it will stretch out the spacing of the wrap some. If it's not tightly wrapped it will cause bigger gaps.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Very nice. Now you can see why I was nitpicking on the wrap spacing. As you coil it, it will stretch out the spacing of the wrap some. If it's not tightly wrapped it will cause bigger gaps.

I'm thinking that my setup may not be ready yet for doing the kind of builds I want to get into. I went to OSH on Sunday to get a swivel and couldn't find one so I got a small pulley instead and that is what I have been using in place of a swivel. It isn't exactly the same, though, and I think a real swivel is necessary at this point (maybe that will help me to get much tighter wrapping).

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So my setup may not be perfect but the Fused Clapton I made with it is - without question - the BEST vape I've ever had. I haven't tried advanced builds like Aliens or similar but I am so stoked on this Fused Clapton. :)

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm thinking that my setup may not be ready yet for doing the kind of builds I want to get into. I went to OSH on Sunday to get a swivel and couldn't find one so I got a small pulley instead and that is what I have been using in place of a swivel. It isn't exactly the same, though, and I think a real swivel is necessary at this point (maybe that will help me to get much tighter wrapping).
Shoot me a picture of what your referencing. A pulley to me is something to get better leverage using a rope to hoist something.

VU Sponsors