Become a Patron!

I finally made my first perfect Clapton wire! Ideas of where to go from here?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yikes. After zooming in I see tons of gaps everywhere. I guess practice makes perfect!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK, here is my work bench in all of is limited glory.
I plan on putting up some wall shelving this coming weekend. Help organize some of the MOD & tank boxes that I've accumulated.

IMG_20170321_201709247 (Large).jpg

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, your claptoning is getting wrecked by not having swivels. That is the same crap that I was getting at first when I purchased junk swivels.

Goto Walmart if you have one close by, I don't recall if your from the US or not, and pickup some Tsunami Pro Ball Bearing Swivels. Anything clapton will require a good swivel before it will roll on smooth. The pulley idea is making your core jump and get stuck and isn't rolling smoothly.

You should be able to hit up any fish / tackle shop as well and ask them for "ball bearing swivels".

IMG_20170321_202841731 (Large).jpg
IMG_20170303_173559224 (Large).jpg

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can make tight single core claptons up to about a foot long without a swivel, just by pinching the wrap on the core with my fingers as I run the drill with the other hand. But for 2+ cores I can't do dick without swivels.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I see what you're doing with the pulley. You run the core around the wheel, and the whole pulley spins on the bradded hanger attached to the board. Pretty slick, actually. The problem is the friction from rubbing metal-on-metal, instead of ball-bearings. And having the cores so far apart on that end. You're doing damn good for what you're working with.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The trouble I'm having without a swivel is that when I'm making a Clapton one hand is on the fire button on the drill and the other is unlooping the spool as I go along so that the wire isn't going everywhere so how do I also pinch the wrap at the same time? It seems like I need three hands to do it?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I see what you're doing with the pulley. You run the core around the wheel, and the whole pulley spins on the bradded hanger attached to the board. Pretty slick, actually. The problem is the friction from rubbing metal-on-metal, instead of ball-bearings. And having the cores so far apart on that end. You're doing damn good for what you're working with.
That's how I've been doing it! Thanks for the compliment. :) Also the way I've been getting around having the cores so far apart on the pulley end is to tape the two cores together right near the pulley to keep them together.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
See that extra silver screw on my 2x4? That is what I am using to hold the spool of wire when I do a short strand by hand without swivels

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I see! I was wondering what that screw was for. Thanks!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The trouble I'm having without a swivel is that when I'm making a Clapton one hand is on the fire button on the drill and the other is unlooping the spool as I go along so that the wire isn't going everywhere so how do I also pinch the wrap at the same time? It seems like I need three hands to do it?
I put the spool in a ziplock bag and lay it on the floor.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
e11babbc0263de50faca34f38457bbe3.jpg

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Which kind of swivel should I get? Barrel or ball-bearing?

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
edit: I found a fishing shop nearby that has swivels. I'll let you all know once I've gotten them!

Last edited:

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I started with a long core strand of 26ga wire and twisted it and Clapton-ed over it with 38ga and then cut the wire in half and twisted both wires together and then Clapton-ed over it against the grain. I thought I'd just try what came to mind instead of a specific build in my mind. :)

Last edited:

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh, I forgot to add - I made a single coil out of it and wrapped 5 wraps and 3.5 ID and installed it in my Tsunami 24 and the vape is great! Ohms at 0.50~ and wattage at 50W.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My 510 pin broke on my Tsunami not long after my last post, and the post connected to it became loose. I thought for a second that the Tsunami was done for good but then I spoke with my local vape shop who said that it could be fixed with a new 510 pin. So I looked in the spares of my tank and found a squonking pin. I installed it, not knowing if it would work (since I don't squonk) and, well, it works just fine! It may not be just like it was with a non-squonking 510 pin but it seems to be performing just as it was with the original, non-squonk 510 pin. Better than having to throw the whole RDA in the trash!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can order replacement pins. Careful with the squonk pin on a non-squonk device. Juice can flow down into your MODs 510 pin connection

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can order replacement pins. Careful with the squonk pin on a non-squonk device. Juice can flow down into your MODs 510 pin connection

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll be very careful to not let that happen.

Also, I found the replacement pins on myvpro.com. Thanks for the idea! I thought for a second that I wouldn't be able to find replacement pins. It sells for $3.50, which is more than reasonable!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Check fasttech and gearbest also. Order some extras just in case that becomes a thing with that atty. I've not used mine much, so not sure about reliability of them. Currently using it on my squonk setup.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, your claptoning is getting wrecked by not having swivels. That is the same crap that I was getting at first when I purchased junk swivels.

Goto Walmart if you have one close by, I don't recall if your from the US or not, and pickup some Tsunami Pro Ball Bearing Swivels. Anything clapton will require a good swivel before it will roll on smooth. The pulley idea is making your core jump and get stuck and isn't rolling smoothly.

You should be able to hit up any fish / tackle shop as well and ask them for "ball bearing swivels".

View attachment 77449
View attachment 77450
I use these ones:

madcat-power-bb-swivels.jpg
madcat.jpg

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I found my swivels in my tackle box, lol. They are at least 15 years old, but probably never used. I figured they must be damn good if they've been sitting in there that long and still looked new. They came with those "helicopter" lures. Anyone remember those things?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I found my swivels in my tackle box, lol. They are at least 15 years old, but probably never used. I figured they must be damn good if they've been sitting in there that long and still looked new. They came with those "helicopter" lures. Anyone remember those things?
This stupid thing? :D sucker!

040282230696__90554.1423367271.500.659.jpg

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This stupid thing? :D sucker!

040282230696__90554.1423367271.500.659.jpg
That's it. And there's the swivels. LOL
My ex-wife brought me home a bigger kit than that from the flea market she was working at. I think I caught maybe 1 or 2 largemouth on it.

She was the sucker. That's about all I miss about her, actually.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am ordering some more cotton (Cotton Bacon V2) and some wire to play with (100 feet each of SS316L 24ga, 26ga, 32ga and 36ga). I am used to using Kanthal but decided on some SS from Lightning Vapes this time. Can't wait! :xD:

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am ordering some more cotton (Cotton Bacon V2) and some wire to play with (100 feet each of SS316L 24ga, 26ga, 32ga and 36ga). I am used to using Kanthal but decided on some SS from Lightning Vapes this time. Can't wait! :xD:
Grab some SS316L 28g also. You will want it for Fused Clapton coils to keep the resistance up to work on a MOD. A 26g Fused Clapton in SS316L will come in at about .27Ω on a 3mm ID 6wrap. So that would be near .13Ω on a dual coil setup. Some MODs may not like it that low. The ramp up time on the 28g will be quicker as well. On your 36g, that will be used a wrap wire. You might want a little more then 100' of it. I can easily go through 1000' of that stuff quickly.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Grab some SS316L 28g also. You will want it for Fused Clapton coils to keep the resistance up to work on a MOD. A 26g Fused Clapton in SS316L will come in at about .27Ω on a 3mm ID 6wrap. So that would be near .13Ω on a dual coil setup. Some MODs may not like it that low. The ramp up time on the 28g will be quicker as well. On your 36g, that will be used a wrap wire. You might want a little more then 100' of it. I can easily go through 1000' of that stuff quickly.
Thanks! Order is already out, though, so for now I'll be limited to what I'm already getting - until next time!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks! Order is already out, though, so for now I'll be limited to what I'm already getting - until next time!
I noticed at Lightning Vapes, sometimes 2 smaller rolls can be cheaper than the next larger size roll.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just ran out of wire. :sad: I wanted to build on my new Freakshow Mini RDA but I'll have to wait for my wire to ship from Lightning Vapes. This time I'm getting SS316L instead of Kanthal, as I prefer low-resistance builds. I can't wait to get back to practicing the Alien Clapton! :)

VU Sponsors