Become a Patron!

how much are we really saving?

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if you are saving money, you are doing it wrong.

Depends... I have a colleague at work who has 3 el-cheapo Ego batteries and 3 PT2 clearos. She's had them from day one, a year and a half ago, and she doesn't want to give them up because she says they're enough to keep her off tobacco. She's sat on the batteries more times than she can count, filled them with sand at the beach, had one fixed by our company's electronics workshop when it had a wire come unsoldered. Her gear looks totally battered. But she says she'll use it as long as it won't quit, because she sees no point in spending any more money than necessary.

It's all a matter of perspective. Me, I've given up all pretense of saving money. I like luxury vaping as a lifestyle choice in its own right - the same way I spend unreasonable amounts of money on expensive liquor - and that's fine. I could be collecting stamps or building model airplanes, but instead, I get my kicks out of a nice vape and a nice glass of booze.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually think it is cheaper to vape if you are buying all clones (which I do) I have never calculated it. when I last smoked I would smoke 1 pack every three days.

it sure doesn't feel like I'm saving money. I have a few things in my cart tempting me right now at fasttech.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually think it is cheaper to vape if you are buying all clones (which I do) I have never calculated it. when I last smoked I would smoke 1 pack every three days.

it sure doesn't feel like I'm saving money. I have a few things in my cart tempting me right now at fasttech.
Depends... I have a colleague at work who has 3 el-cheapo Ego batteries and 3 PT2 clearos. She's had them from day one, a year and a half ago, and she doesn't want to give them up because she says they're enough to keep her off tobacco. She's sat on the batteries more times than she can count, filled them with sand at the beach, had one fixed by our company's electronics workshop when it had a wire come unsoldered. Her gear looks totally battered. But she says she'll use it as long as it won't quit, because she sees no point in spending any more money than necessary.

It's all a matter of perspective. Me, I've given up all pretense of saving money. I like luxury vaping as a lifestyle choice in its own right - the same way I spend unreasonable amounts of money on expensive liquor - and that's fine. I could be collecting stamps or building model airplanes, but instead, I get my kicks out of a nice vape and a nice glass of booze.

Sounds like Vaping is not her hobby. Or that she was lucky enough to find what felt just right before she spent a lot of money. For others, searching for the perfect vape is an endless quest. Or is it a male-female thing, with males being the searchers and females being the settlers? Regardless, I emptied my pockets early on, and now I am settling down with what I have collected. Definitely more than I need. But at least I have all the bits and pieces to keep myself entertained for some time to come. "Sometimes it is more profitable to re-read an old book" - Confucius

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like Vaping is not her hobby. Or that she was lucky enough to find what felt just right before she spent a lot of money.[...]

Oh no, it's clearly not her hobby - not her main hobby anyway. She's your proverbial vape-to-quit-smoking-and-save-money vaper. Good for her, it costs her less than it does me :)

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For me a LOT lmao I spent 8$ a dAY at least on cigs! I spend maybe 40 a month on everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use Eleaf I stick and nautilus I grab coils I have 3 Eleaf is ticks lol one MVP one subtank etc i stopped spending to me it's replacing my cig habit especially hand to mouth habit... Now I find myself not vaping half as much as I used to when I first started. For me Vape was a fantastic tool
To quit smoking... Found it accidental and it worked! Don't work for everyone not at all! I know soooo many who prefer cigs... Or cannot give up analogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DIY is simply a matter of deciding what ratio you like, say 70VG/30PG, and then ordering that ratio in unflavored base juice. Or you can order some VG and some PG and mix them together for your ratio. Then you'll have to decide what nicotine level you like, and then order the nicotine base (I like Velvet Cloud bulk nicotine). Finally, you'll have to decide which flavor you like, and add the suggested amount. After all that, you'll want to let your concoction steep for awhile.
I'm not an experienced DIY guy...but I have what I need to make what I want.
I have some 70VG/30PG base (8 ounces for $8, free shipping, Rays of Colorado on eBay).
I have some 18mg 100%VG bulk nicotine from Velvet Cloud (4 ounces for $40 or thereabouts).
I have six 10ml bottles of flavoring from ZombieSteveJobs on eBay (about $4 per bottle...I add 15% to my mixture).
No need for bottles...just save what you have from pre-made juices.
So, if I want 9mg nicotine 85VG/15PG juice, I add half 18mg bulk nicotine juice to half 70/30 base, plus about 15% flavoring. It doesn't have to be exact.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
yea i totally agree. This is why I buy a bunch of 102 ml bottles @ vistavapors.com I can actually get enugh juice to last me as much as i need and it is cost effective. Unfortunately though it looks like legislation is trying to tax the hell out of e juices in the future and this will screw it all to shart if this happens. I too have spent more getting the mods batteries wicks ect then I would have normally smoking. This is why i got the I stick 30, 50 and the smaug mod. Because over time they will save me money because they are usb chargeable. I also buy my wire in bulk for $5 i get 100 ft of 26 guage a1 kanthal. I have been looking at the readyxwicks because you can torch them to clean them and reuse them. Its all about investing in the long run for me. So right now I am stockpiling juice just in case of an internet ban or some other tax or bull shit red tape that the asses in corporate greed land will impose.
I would hope that prices would go the opposite direction and that juices and equipment become more affordable. I mean if I were to pay the ridiculous prices of $20 + per 30 ml of juice then I would be spending over $60 per week just on juice and that is not right. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!
YMMV, but my experience with the readyXwick was that when torched it got to where when you touched it, your fingers became covered with ceramic dust from it. The torch made it deteriorate and shed something terrible. :( Perhaps in a kiln, where one could set the temp to stay below 1600 degrees F?

Last edited:

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm also looking into DIY to save more money,and just for the fun of trying my hand at it.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My reason for going into DIY is in preparation for the vapocalypse. Having the tools and knowledge to make my own eliquid and rebuild my atomizers will huge if the hammer comes down.

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm also looking into DIY to save more money,and just for the fun of trying my hand at it.
It is a lot of fun. It can also be addicting though, I'm always short a flavor. It is cray how easy it is though. I am not an expert juice maker by any means but the premium juice makers are making a ton of money. It maybe costs $1.50 bottle and all.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It is a I can relate. I started lot of fun. It can also be addicting though, I'm always short a flavor. It is cray how easy it is though. I am not an expert juice maker by any means but the premium juice makers are making a ton of money. It maybe costs $1.50 bottle and all.
I can relate! I started trying to make a wish list of some flavors needed for a few recipes that sounded good. I went to several sellers,and none of them had everything in stock that I was looking for. :(

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can relate! I started trying to make a wish list of some flavors needed for a few recipes that sounded good. I went to several sellers,and none of them had everything in stock that I was looking for. :(
That happens a lot too. So you have to pay shipping at 2 places. then everything sounds tasty and its only a couple dollars so you add it to the cart... it never ends.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That! Plus, I get to looking and see 30ml for $4.50ish or 4oz for $7-11 and tend end up getting the big bottle that'll go bad long before I go through it, simply because it's cheaper per ml, nevermind that it's more than I'll ever use, which ultimately means wasted money. I am getting better though, for it makes far more sense to get the smaller and invest the difference in nic base.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That! Plus, I get to looking and see 30ml for $4.50ish or 4oz for $7-11 and tend end up getting the big bottle that'll go bad long before I go through it, simply because it's cheaper per ml, nevermind that it's more than I'll ever use, which ultimately means wasted money. I am getting better though, for it makes far more sense to get the smaller and invest the difference in nic base.
I was looking at 10 ml and smaller to start with just in case it was something I didn't like.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
4 bottles 10ml for $12 total ($3 each) on eBay zombiestevejobs. Must buy four. I have tried Honeysuckle, very tasty (of course, it's sold out).

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am saving a small fortune. In my neck of the woods (Canada) a pack a smokes costs $12.50. A bottle of Juice is $16.00. A bottle of juice lasts me 2 weeks and I usually use one coil a week. So my cost to vape is around $12.00 a week. Smoking a pack a day cost me $87.50 a week, so I am saving around $75.00 a week. I have only spent about $200.00 on vaping hardware since I started vaping 3 months ago.

Edit:
If I add up the 3 months I have been vaping I have saved $900.00 minus the $200.00 I spent on gear. So call it $700.00 in savings.

Last edited:

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am saving a small fortune. In my neck of the woods (Canada) a pack a smokes costs $12.50. A bottle of Juice is $16.00. A bottle of juice lasts me 2 weeks and I usually use one coil a week. So my cost to vape is around $12.00 a week. Smoking a pack a day cost me $87.50 a week, so I am saving around $75.00 a week. I have only spent about $200.00 on vaping hardware since I started vaping 3 months ago.

Edit:
If I add up the 3 months I have been vaping I have saved $900.00 minus the $200.00 I spent on gear. So call it $700.00 in savings.
I envy those who are not the obsessive collector types.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
LOL I do have to restrain myself from buying more!

I started with a Kanger Emow Starter kit, 2 weeks later I bought a Subtank Mini & a 30 watt Istick. Thats all I own.
I happily vape on my Subtank / Istick all day everyday. I do plan on buying a second Mod & Tank to have on hand for a backup but I can't decide what to buy. It seems like every week there is a better mod and tank coming out :D

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Edit:
Good for you! Cigarettes are $10 a pack here in NY. So in theory I should be saving money. I will soon as my DIY is getting better and better. I too bought big bottles of flavors first because they were cheaper. I even double ordered some flavors. My mistake, I am set on TFA sweet cream forever!

Nobody2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can get 8ml bottles of flavoring for about $1.50-$2.00 from Wizard labs. I bought a one gallon bottle of VG for $25.00 from TFA and I got a 500ml bottle of 100mg/ml nicotine (100% VG base) for around $50.00 from Wizard labs.

As far as my hardware goes I have 2 istick 50's, a few kayfuns, an orchid V3, several drippers including a mutation x v3 and little boy. I have 26ga, 28ga, 30ga and 32ga 100 ft spools of kanthal that cost about $7.00 a spool and will last a long time. I use rayon for my wick and bought a 500 foot box from Sally's beauty supply for $11.50 and have probably enough to wick for the next 15 years.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors