Hoping my 2nd attempt at DIY juice is successful

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid - General Discussion' started by voicenyerhed, May 22, 2017.

1. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Percentages with FlavourArt are low, it's really concentrated. Don't know if that helps.

Have you tried your PG/VG by themselves? If those taste fine, try that with nic. Seems like you tried this before, but wanted to mention it anyway.

And be sure to shake everything. Seems you've done this, too, but figure it's worth mentioning.

The Cromwell, voicenyerhed and RonJS like this.
  2. wllmc

wllmc Yes there are typo's and no I do not care :) VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee Vape Media

Blog Posts:
    I remember being in your exact position burnt out on junk recipes and generally getting frustrated more than enjoying myself and my juice. I remember seeing HIC post a comment in a thread cant remember now what the topic was but it convinced me to try as couple flavor art flavors. ... pow! changed everythng. they are just so clean and fresh you can mix on the fly and burn up hundreds of samples in no time all the while learning about pairing and what taste good and what doesnt. you quickly learn what the best flavors are too ;)

voicenyerhed, The Cromwell and RonJS like this.
  3. voicenyerhed

voicenyerhed Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    I discovered what I believe has been the main problem. The mixing calculator I am using gives an option to use drops as a measurement, which i made the mistake of using. While FA flavors may be strong, they were not strong enough for the bad conversion to drops the calculator gave. Instead of 5% I was getting more like 0.5%. So, I got the vague aroma of the flavor but no actual flavor. Fixed the problem, mixed some juice, & it is a much better starting point. I'll get there. I have switched to using exclusively FA for now. Once I get those figured out, I may branch out to others. But for now I'm sticking to a smaller learning curve. Thank you guys for all your help!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

4. Huckleberried

Huckleberried Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Ahhh. I always forget about that drops per ml on calculators. Was trying to help someone the other day, we couldn't figure out why our calculations were different, then it dawned on me that I have mine set up differently. Those can be all over the place, depending on the size of the dropper tip on the flavoring bottle.

voicenyerhed and The Cromwell like this.
  5. The Cromwell

The Cromwell VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Also the viscosity of the flavoring is a factor.

voicenyerhed likes this.
  6. voicenyerhed

Blog Posts:
    Good to know I'm not the only one who's had that issue. If I had simply looked at how many ml's it was supposed to be I would have noticed the discrepancy right away, but I didn't. Live & learn.

7. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    The small FW bottles takes almost 40 drops per ml.

voicenyerhed likes this.
  8. voicenyerhed

Blog Posts:
    Same for the small FA bottles.

9. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, those skinnier tips are kinda all over the place. Back when the vendors were using the average size (bigger dropper, and generally re-bottled) the drops came out to about 33 per ml. I stick to measuring by weight, unless I'm making a sample.

joeyboy and voicenyerhed like this.
  10. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    I measure by volume. 1 ml syringes typically.
    3 ml for larger batches.
    I premix my PG/VG base and just top off with it after the flavorings and nic are in, unless I ma mixing a small sample batch then I use 10ML oral syringe for measuring my base.

Oral syringe with Korc is shown below.
    I also use those in my 120 ml bottles of juice to refill unicorn and squonk bottles.
    SAM_0196.JPG

11. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    I almost always have a base mix, too. I do put the nic in mine, and I don't make the allowance for flavors to be added. I figure it's pretty negligible.

RonJS, voicenyerhed and The Cromwell like this.
  12. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    I do not add nic to base to reduce oxidation.

voicenyerhed and Huckleberried like this.
  13. Huckleberried

Blog Posts:
    Me, I like throat hit, LOL. So far, though, it's really not any stronger than when I mix fresh. Stays clear, too.

voicenyerhed and The Cromwell like this.
  14. voicenyerhed

Blog Posts:
    OK, juice is getting better but still needs work... it's just gonna take time & effort. But one question: I attempted to make some max VG last night. I used a little in one tank, then changed the flavor a bit & tried it on another tank so as not to contaminate the 2nd version with the remnants of the 1st. Only, when I tried the 2nd in tank 2 it immediately burned the wick. I know max vg is thicker but why did it work in one tank & not the other? Both are wicked as close to exactly the same as possible. The coils are a bit different though (I'm wondering if that is the issue). Tank one has a fused Clapton, tank 2 has a juggernaut (which I don't think I'm a huge fan of at this point). Any ideas?

15. gopher_byrd

gopher_byrd Road Warrior VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Are tank 1 and 2 the same brand/model? Did you prime your wick prior to filling the tank? That's something you need to do with max VG or else wait a good while for the wicks to saturate.

16. BigNasty

BigNasty Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Happy mistakes are your friend also.
    Also depending on the cotton you might have to do some prep work.

17. voicenyerhed

Blog Posts:
    No they are not. Tank 1 is the Big Baby Beast & tank 2 is the Limitless XL. My other suspicion is that the Limitless does not have much room between the casing for the coil and the glass, which might be impeding the flow of thicker juice to get to the wick fast enough. But all these suspicions are just guesses based on what little knowledge I have & what I can see.

I did prime the wicking. The very first part of the hit was good but it burnt in less that a second. It went flavor /burnt super quick.

18. voicenyerhed

Blog Posts:
    I finally made a juice that I am happy with, unfortunately, it is one that I will never be able to recreate. It began days ago, wasn't happy & changed it, wasn't happy & changed it, repeat, repeat, repeat... But I feel that I now have a better grasp on the process. We'll see...

Huckleberried likes this.
  19. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    For my juices in development I put a numbered label on the bottle.
    Then in my little vaping notebook I keep track of everything I do to it.

Once it is "born" it gets a name.

voicenyerhed likes this.
  20. voicenyerhed

Blog Posts:
    I was keeping notes, but after a while every fix was just an act of desperation to not have more supplies to go waste & they became so many that I have up on keeping the notes. Honestly, I never thought it would get to the point where I would WANT to replicate it. But I did learn quite a bit about what % I like for which flavors & a bit about thinking those %s down when mixing with certain other flavors.

21. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    I keep all my notes in a spiral notebook. Might want to go back and check at what percentage a certain flavoring was best at.
    I single flavor try most all flavorings before I mix them with other flavorings.

I have allergy? issues with ingredients in some flavorings and if they make my lips 'tingle' into the bin they do go. Unless the bottle is nice then I dump and have a nice smelling drain for a day.
    the RF bottles have nice poly cone lids on them that also work on my 1 OZ glass bottles.

voicenyerhed and bobnat like this.