Become a Patron!

Homemade Horchata/ w/FE Sweet Rice

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made this mix before having Rich Cinnamon. Next batch I'm going to try it with RC. I'm working on Rice pudding now. Here's what I have so far .
Sweet Rice(FE) 3%
Vanilla Custard V1(CAP) 3%
Sweet Cream(CAP) 2%
Vanilla Classic(FA) 1%
Rich Cinnamon(FE) 1drop per 15ml
This version has only been steeping 5 days and I happy where it's headed.
I'm going to try this too, waiting to order the FE Sweet Rice is killing me. Lol!:D

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With the addition of the .5% INW Vanilla Classic, do you think upping the FE Sweet Rice to 4% is enough to balance it? (I'm taking notes, in prep for my purchase of FE Sweet Rice :D)
RRRRRR Captian IJOY!!! ;);) Should be here this week(I hope)........... Anyway, 4% is too high for my liking. I haven't gone more than 3%. Vanilla plays well with SR and doesn't seem to over power it. Try a stand alone tester SR @ 2% to get a feel for your taste buds.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With the addition of the .5% INW Vanilla Classic, do you think upping the FE Sweet Rice to 4% is enough to balance it? (I'm taking notes, in prep for my purchase of FE Sweet Rice :D)

Tough question...so I'll take the easy (and Best) way out.:)

I think everybody should start at Squonk's suggested level. If that's lacking a bit...add more to your particular taste. The next time I make this recipe, I'm thinking I may up the rice to around 3.4-3.5%. But that's just me.

When I belly up to a vendor for a real horchata, what I'm thinking I'm ordering is a cold sweet drink with a light flavor of cinnamon in the background. Rice would be providing primarily body and only faint flavor. Certainly not near the rice flavor level of say ...rice pudding.

Ron
---
"The basis of art is change in the universe."- Matsuo Basho

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
RRRRRR Captian IJOY!!! ;);) Should be here this week(I hope)........... Anyway, 4% is too high for my liking. I haven't gone more than 3%. Vanilla plays well with SR and doesn't seem to over power it. Try a stand alone tester SR @ 2% to get a feel for your taste buds.
Yes ;) Captain should be here soon, mine shipped out 8/2 ;)
Thanks for the advice :)

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tough question...so I'll take the easy (and Best) way out.:)

I think everybody should start at Squonk's suggested level. If that's lacking a bit...add more to your particular taste. The next time I make this recipe, I'm thinking I may up the rice to around 3.4-3.5%. But that's just me.

When I belly up to a vendor for a real horchata, what I'm thinking I'm ordering is a cold sweet drink with a light flavor of cinnamon in the background. Rice would be providing primarily body and only faint flavor. Certainly not near the rice flavor level of say ...rice pudding.

Ron
---
"The basis of art is change in the universe."- Matsuo Basho
Gotcha ;) thanks!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Day 18 Squonk's Horchata with the FLV Rich Cinnamon has smoothed out and is simply delicious.!
:inlove:

Tried at Day 10 & the FLV Rich Cinnamon took over & I couldn't taste the rest of the ingredients. The magic of steeping :)

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's weird. I just mixed up some today with a few changes.
Sweet Rice(FE) 2.5%
Sweet Cream(CAP) 3%
Dairy/Milk(TFA) 2%
Marzipan(FA) 1%
Rich Cinnamon(FL)(3dr per 50ml) or (1dr per 15ml)
I'll see after a good steep.
I’m going to print this out. Can’t wait to try or your thoughts, whatever comes first :D

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Squonk, I was gonna message you and see how much the ransom was! Lol!
Ransom was down to $8.52, but they settled for a buck fifty two.:(
Just was busy getting things back in shape. I didn't have much to share, all I was mixing was 1 and 2 flavored mixes. By the way, INW Coconut Cookie is great as a SA @ 2%(add .5-.75% FA Cardamom, yummy) and Cherimoya and banana are great together. I have some new stuff steeping now and some I just mixed today, so hopefully I have something decent to share.
I missed it here. That made me a sad Panda.
200.webp

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just was busy getting things back in shape. I didn't have much to share, all I was mixing was 1 and 2 flavored mixes. By the way, INW Coconut Cookie is great as a SA @ 2%(add .5-.75% FA Cardamom, yummy) and Cherimoya and banana are great together. I have some new stuff steeping now and some I just mixed today, so hopefully I have something decent to share.
200.webp
And we missed you :hug:
Glad you’re back!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
200.webp
Hey bro, glad things are starting to get closer to normal for you and everyone in Florida. I'm thankful you guys didn't get the double whammy like Puerto Rico with Irma and Maria.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never had Horchata as I'm not a big fan of Mexican cuisine. But reading this thread makes me want to try some the next time I'm in the States. I'm going to break down and order some Sweet Rice from FE. The shipping is expensive, but what the hell. Has anyone ever had Sutlac?

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never had Horchata as I'm not a big fan of Mexican cuisine. But reading this thread makes me want to try some the next time I'm in the States. I'm going to break down and order some Sweet Rice from FE. The shipping is expensive, but what the hell. Has anyone ever had Sutlac?
Not me, I don’t even know what Sutlac is :teehee:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When you get the FE Sweet Rice, you must try Squonk’s Rice Krispies, it’s yummmmm!

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
https://www.thespruce.com/turkish-style-baked-rice-pudding-3274195

^^Looking at this recipe, I'm thinking:idea:
Sweet Rice(FE) 2.5%
Dairy/Milk(TFA) 1.5-2% (or 1% TFA Milk+1.5% FA Fresh Cream)
Marshmallow(FA) .5%
Vanilla Classic(FA or INW) .75%
Custard(INW) 1-1.5%

Very similar to American style Rice Pudding(I guess when it comes down to eating good,,, peoples is peoples.):shades:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24059/creamy-rice-pudding/

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Sweet Rice(FE) 2.5%
Marshmallow(FA) .5%
Custard(INW) 1-1.5%

Very similar to American style Rice Pudding(I guess when it comes down to eating good,,, peoples is peoples.):shades:
Sounds Yum! I’m going to try it :blowkiss: thanks!

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Sweet Rice(FE) 2.5%
Marshmallow(FA) .5%
Custard(INW) 1-1.5%

You rock! I'll definitely try it and talk my wife into making the actual recipe.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn, I just got an email from ecig and they said they no longer ship to the UAE due to packages being returned. It took me a moment and I realized it's because of their name on the package. I get flavors all the time from the UK and Germany without any problems. I told them that, not that it'll do any good. Oh well.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Damn, I just got an email from ecig and they said they no longer ship to the UAE due to packages being returned. It took me a moment and I realized it's because of their name on the package. I get flavors all the time from the UK and Germany without any problems. I told them that, not that it'll do any good. Oh well.
Oh no :sad: maybe hopefully there will be another source.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Sweet Rice(FE) 2.5%
Marshmallow(FA) .5%
Custard(INW) 1-1.5%

This looks good! Def wanna try this one. Any use for sweet rice is a good thing!

VU Sponsors