Become a Patron!

Homemade Horchata/ w/FE Sweet Rice

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After trying both TFA Horchatas and CAPs (they're not bad). I ordered FE Sweet Rice so I can make, what I feel, a smoother, more tuned to my taste Horchata. I have never had the real Horchata drink, but have mixed countless different variations using TFA and CAPs. IMO, FE Sweet Rice is worth getting on your next order. It will always be in my flavor stash.
My next batch may include .5% INW Vanilla Classic just bring a tad of vanilla sweetness to the party.
You may want to adjust the cinnamon to you liking. Just be aware Sweet Rice may be easily over powered if you go too high. (Any suggestions for a sugary cinnamon would be much appreciated)

Sweet Rice(FE) 3%
Fresh Cream(FA) 1.5%
Dairy/Milk(TFA) 1.5%
Cinnamon Ceylon(FA) .5%
(min. 8-10 day steep)
Horizontal.jpg

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What about the Flavorah Rich Cinnamon? I finally broke down & got it for @Teresa P 's Crema Fritta recipe.
The rich cinnamon doesn't lean toward a sugary cinnamon. I'd use another "sweet" flavor to boost it, depending on the flavor profile you're after.

I've been eyeing that one. Maybe I can work out a deal with @Teresa P.:wave:
Hi T.P. ole buddy ole pal. Ole life long friend. GOOMBA!:inlove:
I'll be dropping by the post office after work, my friend. ;)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mees woves you.:blowkiss::hug:
Do you still like your Bellus RTA? Hummmm????
Heavens no, I sold that thing last year....lol! My all-time fave tank is the Boreas, but have developed a very high liking for the TFV8 and TFV12. ;)
I have a Kaos Erebus that is a wonderful "at home" tank because it doesn't like to leave an upright position without leaking, but the flavor is massive. And finally got the Pharoah that I've eyed for so long, and hate it.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heavens no, I sold that thing last year....lol! My all-time fave tank is the Boreas, but have developed a very high liking for the TFV8 and TFV12. ;)
I have a Kaos Erebus that is a wonderful "at home" tank because it doesn't like to leave an upright position without leaking, but the flavor is massive. And finally got the Pharoah that I've eyed for so long, and hate it.
Yeah. Mine just sits around all day now(thought I could send it your way). I picked up a OBS Engine from Fasttech over the Dads day sale. I love the thing. It can't leak and gives flavors I didn't know were there.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last edited:

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My next batch may include .5% INW Vanilla Classic just bring a tad of vanilla sweetness to the party.

I've drank gallons of the real stuff and won't wait to add any vanilla to my mix. :) I'm also thinking of a very small almond flavor addition in a separate mix.

Most of the horchata I've drank has been sweet and with cinamon more of a background flavor. I'm going to try 1 drop of FLV Rich Cinamon in a 25 ml batch. One drop of it in a 10 ml mix may be too much. For me.;)

I've tried Cap Horchata as a single mix (@ 6%) and did not enjoy it at all.

Thanks for the Recipe!

Ron
---
"What’s in store for me in the direction I don’t take?"-Jack Kerouac

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you need a good deal on a mod. I grabbed this on sale(still is as of today) https://www.eightvape.com/products/sigelei-fuchai-duo-3-mod?variant=42793980998
I can't vouch for TC, I do power mode. I found coupon code REDDIT12 and it worked for an additional 12% off. $37 and change shipped. It doesn't come with the extra door for a third battery if anyone cares.
EDIT: REDDT12 works
So odd you should suggest this...my husband got me a beautiful Fuchai Duo 3 for my birthday. It died 6 days later but I finally got store credit from VapeNw to replace it. I didn't get another like it, was afraid to, but did replace it with a gorgeous Ipv Vesta. ;)

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've drank gallons of the real stuff and won't wait to add any vanilla to my mix. :) I'm also thinking of a very small almond flavor addition in a separate mix.

Most of the horchata I've drank has been sweet and with cinamon more of a background flavor. I'm going to try 1 drop of FLV Rich Cinamon in a 25 ml batch. One drop of it in a 10 ml mix may be too much. For me.;)

I've tried Cap Horchata as a single mix (@ 6%) and did not enjoy it at all.

Thanks for the Recipe!

Ron
---
"What’s in store for me in the direction I don’t take?"-Jack Kerouac
Let me know how the Almond version comes out. Thanks.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Will do.

Today I added ....
(all in %)
.6 FA Almond
.3 FA Torrone
1 TPA Sweetner
.5 INW Shisha Vanilla

to one batch and...
.5 INW Vanilla
1 TPA Sweetner

...to your recipe.

Now the wait before sampling them..
hor.jpg

If either works out, I'm already thinking ahead to...
Rum-Chata.jpg

:vino:

Ron
---
"I think I've been a great citizen"- O. J. Simpson

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Will do.

Today I added ....
(all in %)
.6 FA Almond
.3 FA Torrone
1 TPA Sweetner
.5 INW Shisha Vanilla

to one batch and...
.5 INW Vanilla
1 TPA Sweetner

...to your recipe.

Now the wait before sampling them..
View attachment 87400

If either works out, I'm already thinking ahead to...
View attachment 87399

:vino:

Ron
---
"I think I've been a great citizen"- O. J. Simpson
I like the thought of Torrone to give it a sweet almond fluff. Good call.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like the thought of Torrone to give it a sweet almond fluff. Good call.

I wish I could take credit for that call...but can't. :gaah:

I also can't remember who's recipe (or which recipe) I tried where the FA Torrone seemed to really make the FA Almond "pop"..

Ron
---
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."- Isaac Newton

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish I could take credit for that call...but can't. :gaah:

I also can't remember who's recipe (or which recipe) I tried where the FA Torrone seemed to really make the FA Almond "pop"..

Ron
---
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."- Isaac Newton
I've used FA Marzipan with Almond with excellent results.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I thought I would try the other (no almond) version first. It's Good! A very tasty, refreshing and smooth vape. I'm thinking that with my INW Vanilla addition, I might wish to up the rice flavor a tad. While they play well with each other, the vanilla does tone down the rice a tiny bit. Sweetness and cinnamon levels were just what I was looking for.

I'll admit, I've led a spoiled life when it comes to drinking horchata. It's always been chilled. I was considering adding something to make this mix so. But no...it's just fine without it. (I'm still considering a sizable FA Rum and Brandy addition though...:))

Ron
---
"Must harvest rice before can boil it."-Charlie Chan (Docks of New Orleans)

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I thought I would try the other (no almond) version first. It's Good! A very tasty, refreshing and smooth vape. I'm thinking that with my INW Vanilla addition, I might wish to up the rice flavor a tad. While they play well with each other, the vanilla does tone down the rice a tiny bit. Sweetness and cinnamon levels were just what I was looking for.

I'll admit, I've led a spoiled life when it comes to drinking horchata. It's always been chilled. I was considering adding something to make this mix so. But no...it's just fine without it. (I'm still considering a sizable FA Rum and Brandy addition though...:))

Ron
---
I wish I knew what Horchata taste like.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wish I knew what Horchata taste like.

Maybe make some at home?

Plenty of recipes like...
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/141828/lolas-horchata/
...on the internet and the ingredients should not be too hard to find.

Horchata tastes nothing like the other popular rice drink....Sake!
(Sake is much more difficult to make well at home ;))

Ron
---
"The possession of anything begins in the mind."- Bruce Lee

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe make some at home?

Plenty of recipes like...
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/141828/lolas-horchata/
...on the internet and the ingredients should not be too hard to find.

Horchata tastes nothing like the other popular rice drink....Sake!
(Sake is much more difficult to make well at home ;))

Ron
---
"The possession of anything begins in the mind."- Bruce Lee
You are too funny! Lol! Sake indeed!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ooooooo......this looks great! Of course, I just ordered yesterday. Missing sweet rice(but picked up cinnamon Ceylon). Sigh.....the next list begins.....:D

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You seriously made your own sake? I thought you were kidding :D wow I'm impressed!

I've only made 4 batches. (around 20 gallons in total) I was lucky to make some very good sake and several friends continue to ask me to make more. There's a lot of room for error (proper temperature control for a month or so.. for example) and if I screw up a batch nowadays it would cost me around $70.:eek:
Many years I don't drink $70 in store bought sake.:vino:
(okay...not that many years:))

Ron
---
酒の中に真あり "sake no naka ni makoto ari," or.... "in sake there is truth"

Attachments

• sake.jpg
    sake.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 14

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Ron
---
I made a second batch adding FA Marzipan @ 1%= FANTASTIC. It really took it to a smoother, mouth feelier place. I like the ideal of adding vanilla and feel your right regarding increasing sweet rice. Sweet rice is a delicate flavor and introducing more/other flavorings to it seems to mute it further.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made a second batch adding FA Marzipan @ 1%= FANTASTIC. It really took it to a smoother, mouth feelier place. I like the ideal of adding vanilla and feel your right regarding increasing sweet rice. Sweet rice is a delicate flavor and introducing more/other flavorings to it seems to mute it further.

Reading your post made me drop everything and sample a bit of my almond flavors mix. I personally prefer the almond additions mix to the one without. Not that the "just" horchata is not very good, I think because the complexity and depth of flavor just suits me more. It seems a pleasing little bit sweeter too. I certainly will be trying your Marzipan addition suggestion!

I'm confident you have also perused the various recipes floating around that use the Sweet Rice in fruit flavored Bobas. The ones I've seen use 4.5-5.5% sweet rice. My understanding is a real Boba is a drink where tapioca and not rice provide the drink body. I have not drank that many Bobas, but the ones I've tried do have more body that and horchata I've sampled. I agree, especially with the almond type flavors addition, that a bit more sweet rice may be called for. I'm not certain at what rice amount level it might change into a Boba. (or if I should be in any way concerned if it does :))

Ron
---
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."- Kurt Vonnegut

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've only made 4 batches. (around 20 gallons in total) I was lucky to make some very good sake and several friends continue to ask me to make more. There's a lot of room for error (proper temperature control for a month or so.. for example) and if I screw up a batch nowadays it would cost me around $70.:eek:
Many years I don't drink $70 in store bought sake.:vino:
(okay...not that many years:))

Ron
---
酒の中に真あり "sake no naka ni makoto ari," or.... "in sake there is truth"
Oh mon dieu! Lol!

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reading your post made me drop everything and sample a bit of my almond flavors mix. I personally prefer the almond additions mix to the one without. Not that the "just" horchata is not very good, I think because the complexity and depth of flavor just suits me more. It seems a pleasing little bit sweeter too. I certainly will be trying your Marzipan addition suggestion!

I'm confident you have also perused the various recipes floating around that use the Sweet Rice in fruit flavored Bobas. The ones I've seen use 4.5-5.5% sweet rice. My understanding is a real Boba is a drink where tapioca and not rice provide the drink body. I have not drank that many Bobas, but the ones I've tried do have more body that and horchata I've sampled. I agree, especially with the almond type flavors addition, that a bit more sweet rice may be called for. I'm not certain at what rice amount level it might change into a Boba. (or if I should be in any way concerned if it does :))

Ron
---
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."- Kurt Vonnegut
Boba is another drink that I've never had, but always intrigued me(I need to get out more). From what I can surmise, the tapioca is used mainly as a mouth feel. Looks like I need to pull out my 3D BB and see what happens.
hqdefault.jpg

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Again, another lovely looking recipe. And another use for sweet rice! A question....since FLV Rich Cinnamon is on the table, any reason to replace for Ceylon Cinnamon? I ordered it today and am looking for uses besides your Cinnamon Girl recipe. Thinking about rice pudding..... might go make rice pudding to eat!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
And I just reread the thread. Oops. :sad:

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Again, another lovely looking recipe. And another use for sweet rice! A question....since FLV Rich Cinnamon is on the table, any reason to replace for Ceylon Cinnamon? I ordered it today and am looking for uses besides your Cinnamon Girl recipe. Thinking about rice pudding..... might go make rice pudding to eat!
I made this mix before having Rich Cinnamon. Next batch I'm going to try it with RC. I'm working on Rice pudding now. Here's what I have so far .
Sweet Rice(FE) 3%
Vanilla Custard V1(CAP) 3%
Sweet Cream(CAP) 2%
Vanilla Classic(FA) 1%
Rich Cinnamon(FE) 1drop per 15ml
This version has only been steeping 5 days and I happy where it's headed.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I made this mix before having Rich Cinnamon. Next batch I'm going to try it with RC. I'm working on Rice pudding now. Here's what I have so far .
Sweet Rice(FE) 3%
Vanilla Custard V1(CAP) 3%
Sweet Cream(CAP) 2%
Vanilla Classic(FA) 1%
Rich Cinnamon(FE) 1drop per 15ml
This version has only been steeping 5 days and I happy where it's headed.
Nice! Love it! Thanks for the start on rice pudding. Gonna be big mixing day on Monday, if tracking is accurate. :D

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A question....since FLV Rich Cinnamon is on the table, any reason to replace for Ceylon Cinnamon?

My experience is that the only reason not to replace the FA with FLV is if you are making less than a 30 ml batch.

Ron
---
" A friend of mine once said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."-Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My experience is that the only reason not to replace the FA with FLV is if you are making less than a 30 ml batch.

Ron
---
" A friend of mine once said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."-Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe
Gotcha. I'll be experimenting Monday when my flavors arrive. Good to know all the options. Thanks!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Ron
---
With the addition of the .5% INW Vanilla Classic, do you think upping the FE Sweet Rice to 4% is enough to balance it? (I'm taking notes, in prep for my purchase of FE Sweet Rice :D)

VU Sponsors