HIC's Mixes: DIY recipes store

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know with hic that he/she/they will handle it properly with warnings and appropriate information upfront. I'm very excited for any new flavour combos or tricks.I've been trying too ignore the new custard but you are all making it very hard .I have a very patient wife but I think she might say something if I put in another order for anything at the moment:gaah:.
You have fallen head first into a pit of DIY enablers...lol! But I imagine you figured that out already.... ;)

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, we all enable one another here. It's so easy to do and so hard to resist. Flavor Enablers/Cannot resist buying flavors Anonymous

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I definitely avoid diketones but not against using them every now and then. I think that if you don't use diketones at all but then use insane concentrations of flavourings and sweetener in your juice, can be more detrimental.

I'm curious to try the FA Pandoro and Panettone.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do like pandoro, nice and lemony/cakey/croissant-ish... < @Daintanee, I've been around you too long...lol!

ilikeitfruity

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'l have to limit my exposure to enablers as well as diketones. But I'm easily led what can I say for the right recipe I'm willing to inhale pretty much anything as long as it isn't smoke.that is not a challenge no bread crust for me!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol, Teresa! I too like pandoro and find it very concentrated. I probably haven't vapes it in over a year, but if I recall correctly 1% was extremely flavorful.

In all honesty, there are several great recipes without diketones. In many flavors I taste what I call "custard notes" which I just do not like. I taste these in many custards and creams mainly. However there are flavors like pandoro, NF ginger and malt where I do not taste these.

Still stuck on Bora Bora White and Pomegranate Turkish Delight.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's been some discussion in this thread about FA Premium Custard, but the subject has been burning a hole in my messages & emails since it was first mentioned here. What I've received so far is 100% in favor of including it in recipes (with my usual "contains diketones" note, like I do for recipes with NF flavors, for example). If you do have concerns or objections, I hope you'll post a comment here, email me, or send me a private message.

I've mixed with all the FA flavors for years, though I stay pretty mum about these online. Several more FA flavors with diketones also provide appealing flavor you simply can't get without diketones. Any comments on opening up the palette to include the full range?
Premium Custard, Butter, Whipped Cream, Milk, Panettone, Pandoro, Croissant ... Which do you like best and plan to use ? Any others ?

I know ECX carries some of these. Any place in the U.S. that carries all ?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Premium Custard, Butter, Whipped Cream, Milk, Panettone, Pandoro, Croissant ... Which do you like best and plan to use ? Any others ?

I know ECX carries some of these. Any place in the U.S. that carries all ?

Good questions! The ones of those I've personally found use for are Premium Custard, Butter, Whipped Cream, Pandoro. FA's lesser-known milk-like flavors (Yogurt, Condensed Milk, Milk) share a dusty, stale-cardboard note I find very unappealing. That's true of their reformulated (diketone-free) & older versions. Croissant is strongly lemon flavored, unfortunately. I figured it HAD to be a bottling error, but I confirmed that's just the way it tastes. Butter is lightly-browned sweet butter. Whipped Cream is as accurately-named as Fresh Cream; it's equally un-sweet. I think of Pandoro as lemon-vanilla pound cake. I like both the flavoring and actual Pandoro better than Panettone, but that's a matter of personal preference. One super one you didn't mention is Corn, which is absolutely the flavor of buttered sweet corn. Cornbread is the only use I've found for, though. FA has had a warning on Cucumber in the past; I have 3 bottles of various ages & presumably different diketone status, which all taste identical to me - all very accurate flavor of fresh cukes. The original (with diketones) and reformulated (without diketones) versions of Peanut both taste awful to me. In my opinion, peanuts shouldn't be sour. Both Truffle flavors are the fungus, not the candy - no chance I'll ever use those! And I promise I'll never use any meat flavors of any brand. Gag!

Mine have come from various vendors; those flavors tend to go in/out of stock where ever you find them. Diyvaporsupply has several. One DIYer (hi there, if you're reading - you want credit yet?) asked them to stock NF Ginger, and they did - maybe they'd be willing to likewise expand their FA flavors. Or maybe we can twist @wllmc 's arm for BullCity to bring some in. I like that Bullcity includes diketone warnings; diyvaporsupply doesn't do that. Of course they're all at FA, if you want to order from Italy; the UK site doesn't always list them all. Anyone else who knows of other current sources, I hope they'll let us know!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
My first store recipe with FA Premium Custard uses it as the main flavor. If you are looking for a recipe with just a hint of the flavoring - skip this one. I do not consider this a shake-and-vape; it really benefits from sitting a day or two at minimum, due to the multiple creamy flavors. I am one of the few vapors who does not like Capella Vanilla Custard. THIS is how I expect a vape version of real vanilla custard to taste.

New today at HIC's Mixes : Classic Crème Brûlée (note: contains diketones)
p Classic Crème Brûlée.jpg
"The French call it Crème Brûlée; the British call it Trinity Custard. This is the authentic flavor of the rich, creamy, classic vanilla custard made with cream, sugar, vanilla, and eggs, capped with a thin crust of flame-caramelized sugar. This recipe requires only FlavourArt flavorings, including Premium Custard, which contains diketones. (One U.S. source for this flavoring is diyvaporsupply.com; one U.K. source is chefsflavours.co.uk)

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a word for those interested in custard supreme...get it from DIY Vapor Supply while you can because when it's out, it's out. According to a Facebook DIY page, when mentioned that FA had never intended to sell it in the U.S. because of high diketone content, Richard Hong of FANA (FA North America) stated the following:
"it's not supposed to be - the company here ( DIYVS) snuck around FANA and somehow managed to order it direct from Italy. This won't be happening again and should they try in the future to skirt FANA they will be removed from our reseller list. This was a one time thing and the inventory will not be re-upped."
According to Mr. Hong, consumer sized orders will still be shipped, but vendor sized orders will not. ( I copy/pasted the FB posts in an email to myself in case anyone wanted to know more.)

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a word for those interested in custard supreme...get it from DIY Vapor Supply while you can because when it's out, it's out. According to a Facebook DIY page, when mentioned that FA had never intended to sell it in the U.S. because of high diketone content, Richard Hong of FANA (FA North America) stated the following:
"it's not supposed to be - the company here ( DIYVS) snuck around FANA and somehow managed to order it direct from Italy. This won't be happening again and should they try in the future to skirt FANA they will be removed from our reseller list. This was a one time thing and the inventory will not be re-upped."
According to Mr. Hong, consumer sized orders will still be shipped, but vendor sized orders will not. ( I copy/pasted the FB posts in an email to myself in case anyone wanted to know more.)
Consumer sized orders will be shipped from where ? Does Fa North America ship consumer size flavors, or did he mean FA Italy ?

What's the difference between Premium Custard and other diketone containg flavors like Butter, Whipped Cream, etc... that ECX and a couple of other vendors still sell. Are they selling those from old inventory ?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Consumer sized orders will be shipped from where ? Does Fa North America ship consumer size flavors, or did he mean FA Italy ?

What's the difference between Premium Custard and other diketone containg flavors like Butter, Whipped Cream, etc... that ECX and a couple of other vendors still sell. Are they selling those from old inventory ?
The consumer sized orders he was referring to will still be shipped from FA Italy. And he made no mention of the other flavors you mentioned.

** I just re-read the post I copied and I was mistaken - consumer sized orders will be fulfilled by FA UK. He didn't say whether or not FA Italy would do the same, but I assume they will.

Last edited:

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The consumer sized orders he was referring to will still be shipped from FA Italy. And he made no mention of the other flavors you mentioned.
By any chance, is there a coupon code for DIY Vapor Supplies that you are aware of ? Might as well order a few other flavors that only they carry that i never got around to order, because i was turned off by their higher prices compared to BCF :)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By any chance, is there a coupon code for DIY Vapor Supplies that you are aware of ? Might as well order a few other flavors that only they carry that i never got around to order, because i was turned off by their higher prices compared to BCF :)
Unfortunately I do not, but it would have come in handy when I ordered those two 4oz bottles of custard premium yesterday. :( I had thought about getting a couple more bottles of FA milk, I just got a 10ml when I got the first bottle of the custard. I haven't tried to work with it yet though and according to HIC's description, I may not use much of the small bottle I have. ;)

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am thinking of Butter, Whipped Cream, Corn, Pandoro, and Custard Premium plus Sweet Woodruff from TFA. Any other noteworthy flavors that only DIY Vapor Supplies carries ?

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unfortunately I do not, but it would have come in handy when I ordered those two 4oz bottles of custard premium yesterday. :( I had thought about getting a couple more bottles of FA milk, I just got a 10ml when I got the first bottle of the custard. I haven't tried to work with it yet though and according to HIC's description, I may not use much of the small bottle I have. ;)
How many ml do you vape a day !? Or do you mix for others as well ?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do want some of that corn! Lol! And I have ordered the Jungle Flavors version of sweet woodruff from ECX, will report back with a comparison to TFA. I have a few bottles of TFA woodruff in the freezer, purchased right before Wizard Labs stopped selling it.
I do mix for a few other people, quite a bit for my converts at work, but I do go through massive quantities myself. It's not unusual to go through 30ml+ in a day if I'm not working or otherwise occupied. But in my defense, my sub ohm tanks tend to lend to that.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I have ordered the Jungle Flavors version of sweet woodruff from ECX, will report back with a comparison to TFA.

I wasn't impressed with theirs or German Flavors; TFA really got this one right.

Woodruff (Galium odoratum) is an easy plant to extract flavor from (grows as a weedy groundcover; clip & dry the blooming tips in May). It doesn't have much scent until it dries out - then the sweet vanilla scent is quite strong. I've read that the plant is "mildly toxic" with coumarin, but it's a traditional addition to May wine. I've used a bundle of dried sprigs to stir & sweeten hot tea - tastes danged similar to adding TFA's flavoring.

NotSoMini

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I have used ELRECIPES in the past for 10% off. Their prices can be higher than other flavor vendors however DIY Vapor Supply has flavors others do not have. At the same time I buy flavors from them that are readily available elsewhere for less. The way I look at it is that if I buy the easier to find flavors elsewhere I incur two shipping costs.

NotSoMini

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I already have FA Custard Premium and Cream Whipped plus TFA Woodruff, all from DIY Vapor Supply. Presume Cream Whipped is the same as Whipped Cream. Now I need to get the others that I do not have mentioned above.

Mazinny

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have used ELRECIPES in the past for 10% off. Their prices can be higher than other flavor vendors however DIY Vapor Supply has flavors others do not have. At the same time I buy flavors from them that are readily available elsewhere for less. The way I look at it is that if I buy the easier to find flavors elsewhere I incur two shipping costs.
@Mazinny — Sorry the discount code is no longer valid. I just tried it. Must have been for 2017.
I actually found the discount code and managed to put in an order in 2017, barely ! I ordered cucumber, corn, custard premium, butter, whipped cream, pandoro, panettone,and tfa sweet woodruff. Thanks though :)

@HeadInClouds , any plans for a cornbread recipe in your store ? If not, any tips on how to approach the bread part ?

ilikeitfruity

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
:bliss:NF ginger and malt in my hands.I love bull city flavours! Now to decide which free recipe to mix first,any suggestions appreciated as I can't remember what I was gonna mix, I hate it when that happens!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

ilikeitfruity

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks hic,that looks amazing,will report back tomorrow,too tired for mixing tonight,will just have to vape more brutti make buoni I just can' leave it alone,currently vaping on a 1ohm coil in my new ares rta and it's better than ever the hazelnut is popping.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my FA corn today, just a little 10ml bottle, but the whole box smelled like a can of sweet corn....yum! This needs some cream....:idea:
I also got a couple of Inaweras I hadn't heard of, a Miss Cream that's so strong on the finger that it's difficult to pinpoint a profile (and nothing given on the website), and also "Yes, We Cheesecake." <--- this one smells and tastes like a winner! :D

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Got my FA corn today, just a little 10ml bottle, but the whole box smelled like a can of sweet corn....yum! This needs some cream....:idea:
I also got a couple of Inaweras I hadn't heard of, a Miss Cream that's so strong on the finger that it's difficult to pinpoint a profile (and nothing given on the website), and also "Yes, We Cheesecake." <--- this one smells and tastes like a winner! :D

I forgot about FA corn, need to try that!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I forgot about FA corn, need to try that!

I doubt any other flavoring would work anywhere near as well as FA Corn (https://www.diyvaporsupply.com/corn-fa/). It DOES contain diketones, but if you're looking for buttered corn, there's no avoiding that. Cornbread will be a shake-and-vape recipe. One reluctant taste-tester who thought cornbread would be a weird vape, tried some, got big eyes, and laughed "wwow - that's just wild!" FA Corn is a fun one, exceptionally true-to-life flavor. Recipe should be done after a couple more thumbs-up, a few more days...

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I doubt any other flavoring would work anywhere near as well as FA Corn (https://www.diyvaporsupply.com/corn-fa/). It DOES contain diketones, but if you're looking for buttered corn, there's no avoiding that. Cornbread will be a shake-and-vape recipe. It'll also use FA Breakfast Cereal. One reluctant taste-tester who thought cornbread would be a weird vape, tried some, got big eyes, and laughed "wwow - that's just wild!" FA Corn is a fun one, exceptionally true-to-life flavor. Recipe should be done after a couple more thumbs-up, a few more days...
Interesting HIC, gonna buy me some KoRn.....:wave:

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Any Atkins-style no-carb or low-carb dieters here?
Me, lol!

Not dieting to lose weight, just changed my lifestyle and way of eating. Strictly LCHF 99.9%.

I often taste my e-juice on the tongue whenever I mix but I avoid doing it too much often nowadays so that it doesn't mess with ketosis, even though VG is a sugar alcohol and doesn't have an insulin response.

And even though I don't really use sweetener in my juice, when I do it can only be Sucralose not Ethyl Maltol.

Last edited:

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I doubt any other flavoring would work anywhere near as well as FA Corn (https://www.diyvaporsupply.com/corn-fa/). It DOES contain diketones, but if you're looking for buttered corn, there's no avoiding that. Cornbread will be a shake-and-vape recipe. It'll also use FA Breakfast Cereal. One reluctant taste-tester who thought cornbread would be a weird vape, tried some, got big eyes, and laughed "wwow - that's just wild!" FA Corn is a fun one, exceptionally true-to-life flavor. Recipe should be done after a couple more thumbs-up, a few more days...

Very interesting thanks, I was in the process of ordering Panettone and Pandoro from FA Italy. Now, I'm adding corn as well :D

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Me, lol!

Not dieting to lose weight, just changed my lifestyle and way of eating. Strictly LCHF 99.9%.

I often taste my e-juice on the tongue whenever I mix but I avoid doing it too much often nowadays so that it doesn't mess with ketosis, even though VG is a sugar alcohol and doesn't have an insulin response.

And even though I don't really use sweetener in my juice, when I do it can only be Sucralose not Ethyl Maltol.

So is that riced-cauliflower-that-supposedly-tastes-like-mashed-potatoes a thing you eat? It seems popular on that diet. If so, I was going to suggest adding some FA Corn flavoring to a little serving of that. I think LC'ers could make faux creamed corn like that.

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So is that riced-cauliflower-that-supposedly-tastes-like-mashed-potatoes a thing you eat? It seems popular on that diet. If so, I was going to suggest adding some FA Corn flavoring to a little serving of that. I think LC'ers could make faux creamed corn like that.
I eat it but not as a substitute for something that I don't eat nowadays; I'm against that mentality. Cauliflower mash and cauliflower gratin is quite common for people in Northern Europe, so this was something I used to eat before this, just not as often.

But yeah to answer your question, this should definitely work and I'll give it a try and give some input.

soulseek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
We're still waitin for you guys' FA Premium Custard reviews. :gaah:

You've had it long enough to mix & steep... slackers! :)

I voiced my opinion. Better than Cap V1, with no chemical after taste from Day 1 and I've used it even without steeping. Judging by recipes I've seen where people would have previously used Cap V1, I guess other people agree as well.

VU Sponsors